Cruise Critic Message Board Forums

Cruise Critic Message Board Forums (https://boards.cruisecritic.com/index.php)
-   Princess Cruises (https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   When there are different embankment ports for the cruise? (https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2654716)

phabric July 11th, 2018 04:26 PM

When there are different embankment ports for the cruise?
 
I will on the new Sky.

The cruise is being sold as a 7, 14, 21, 28 day cruise. The cruise has Athens, Barcelona and Rome as embankment ports. We are doing the 14 day from Athen to Rome. When we get to Barcelona new passengers will be embarking or disembarking.

We plan on doing private excursions in Barcelona and would like to get off early.

Will we have to wait while disembarking passengers get off with their luggage.

Will Princess have 2 gangplanks, one for new passengers checking in and one for the others staying on the second part of the cruise.

Will we be able to walk off like a normal port?

fishywood July 11th, 2018 04:41 PM

The answer to the last question should be yes. I have done a long cruise with intermediate turnaround ports in Hamburg and Southampton and continuing passengers were allowed to come and go at their leisure. Just make sure the dates on your cruise card cover your entire booking, else you will have to exchange the card before you disembark for the day in Barcelona.

If you receive any notice from the ship regarding immigration procedures (unlikely unless the port prior to Barcelona is not an EU or Schengen nation) just put in a request that you wish to be off the ship as early as possible. Should not be a problem, but as I say unlikely to be necessary in the first place.

Will there be congestion on the gangway due to all the disembarking passengers? Quite possible, so just allow enough time to get ashore and meet your party. Walking the gangplank will not be a suggested alternative :evilsmile:

moki'smommy July 11th, 2018 04:54 PM

Is "embankment" the same as "embarkation?" I always thought that an embankment was a hill built out of dirt.

In our experience, when the ship was docked at a port that was not our embarkation/disembarkation port, we received information and "in transit" passes in our cabin. We were typically instructed to use the crew gangway and in no case were we required to wait in line or do other steps that might be required for newly embarking passengers.

Micah's Grandad July 11th, 2018 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moki'smommy (Post 56508940)
Is "embankment" the same as "embarkation?" I always thought that an embankment was a hill built out of dirt.

In our experience, when the ship was docked at a port that was not our embarkation/disembarkation port, we received information and "in transit" passes in our cabin. We were typically instructed to use the crew gangway and in no case were we required to wait in line or do other steps that might be required for newly embarking passengers.

We had this in Athens two months ago. They gave us in transit passes that we carried and nobody asked for them. They also told us to carry our passports when leaving the ship. No idea why they did so and of course nobody asked to see them.

Did get off the ship with no problem.

Redwing55 July 11th, 2018 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micah's Grandad (Post 56509998)
We had this in Athens two months ago. They gave us in transit passes that we carried and nobody asked for them. They also told us to carry our passports when leaving the ship. No idea why they did so and of course nobody asked to see them.

Did get off the ship with no problem.

Interesting comment about the passports. We'll be in this situation next June. I wonder if Princess asked you to do so so THEY wouldn't be responsible if lost in the cabin? I ask since I don't understand why it would make that port different from the others? Maybe because there is a terminal that one has to go through? (Though like you stated, you never did need to show yours.) Interesting.

moki'smommy July 11th, 2018 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redwing55 (Post 56511412)
Interesting comment about the passports. We'll be in this situation next June. I wonder if Princess asked you to do so so THEY wouldn't be responsible if lost in the cabin? I ask since I don't understand why it would make that port different from the others? Maybe because there is a terminal that one has to go through? (Though like you stated, you never did need to show yours.) Interesting.

Different ports have different rules regarding carrying your passport while in port. Most of the time it is not necessary.

We were required to show our "in transit" passes in order to bypass the normal craziness in the terminal.

caribill July 12th, 2018 03:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phabric (Post 56508728)
We plan on doing private excursions in Barcelona and would like to get off early.

Will we have to wait while disembarking passengers get off with their luggage.

Will Princess have 2 gangplanks, one for new passengers checking in and one for the others staying on the second part of the cruise.

Will we be able to walk off like a normal port?

You can disembark anytime that disembarkation has started. You will use the same gangway as those who will not be returning to the ship.

When you return to the ship (you can re-board anytime once embarkation for new passengers has started), you will use the same gangway as everyone else.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:19 PM.

1995 - 2016, The Independent Traveler, Inc. All rights reserved.
"A Community of People Who Love To Cruise"
All of the information contained within Cruise Critic is protected by copyright. You may, however, download a single copy only for your personal use.