Sanctuary Massages

MichaelFromAZ

Hi All,

Gearing up to take an Alaskan cruise on board the Golden next month and am considering scheduling a massage while on board. A few questions...

1) Is it worth it?

2) Are they going to try to up sell me on a bunch of nonsense?

3) Any advice for which day in the 7 night South abound would be recommended?

Thanks in advance! You guys rock.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've never heard of massages in the sanctuary. They are typically in the spa. OK, I can get a massage in my city for 1/2 to 1/3 the price of doing it on board. This is at a private day spa, not a chain. Also, be aware that the spa adds an automatic 18% gratuity and then puts a line on the ticket for "additional gratuity."

If you tell them that you want NO sales pitch, you might avoid one.

There are sometimes specials offered on port days, but Alaska is all about the scenery, wildlife, etc. I wouldn't want to miss a port day for a massage. Most of the port times on our southbound are decent--they are much shorter on the northbound.

I've never heard of massages in the sanctuary. They are typically in the spa. OK' date=' I can get a massage in my city for 1/2 to 1/3 the price of doing it on board. This is at a private day spa, not a chain. Also, be aware that the spa adds an automatic 18% gratuity and then puts a line on the ticket for "additional gratuity."

If you tell them that you want NO sales pitch, you might avoid one.

There are sometimes specials offered on port days, but Alaska is all about the scenery, wildlife, etc. I wouldn't want to miss a port day for a massage. Most of the port times on our southbound are decent--they are much shorter on the northbound.[/quote']

Thanks for all the info! Forgive me, I mistakenly thought the spa was part of the Sanctuary.

I certainly wouldn’t take away from a port days! But I think it might be nice to splurge on this on a vacation. Maybe this isn’t the splurge I’m looking for...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The best way to splurge on a massage when you cruise is to get one at home, shortly before you leave. It's like starting your cruise early, at half the price. I've got a massage scheduled this Friday, leaving next Thursday. I may also add a pedicure

The best way to splurge on a massage when you cruise is to get one at home, shortly before you leave. It's like starting your cruise early, at half the price. I've got a massage scheduled this Friday, leaving next Thursday. I may also add a pedicure

Exactly---and I can spend most of the day at the local "day spa" getting a mani/pedi, massage, and facial for about the same as a massage will cost on the ship.

Yes, to add to all who have answered, I would avoid the spa completely and do something else special for your cruise. If you like to eat, the Crown Grill, if you like a certain hobby or something like that, splurge on that special souvenir- that might cost some dollars but that you will cherish in your home for a long time. Or that special tour that was just a little too expensive. But not in the spa.

Pooh

There are two canvas massage cabanas in the Sanctuary on Golden, right at the front. I imagine you would have to book through the spa. I never saw them used when we did our Golden cruise a couple of years ago and that was in a warm climate cruise (Sydney to Hong Kong).

There are two canvas massage cabanas in the Sanctuary on Golden, right at the front. I imagine you would have to book through the spa. I never saw them used when we did our Golden cruise a couple of years ago and that was in a warm climate cruise (Sydney to Hong Kong).

Most of the ships have a cabana area for "private" massages.

I agree with everyone else...do it before or after the cruise.

I would think it might be kind of chilly to have a massage in the Sanctuary while up in Alaska. Maybe they have heated tables?? Not sure.

I have gotten massages on cruises in the past and told them I like the no talking rule while enjoying my massage. They still may try to sell you something afterwards, though. I've had some very respectful masseuses and my wishes of not wanting to buy their products was honored. Some are quite the sales men/women.

Like others, I think they are overpriced onboard and would just get one before the cruise. I've found deals where I purchase and reserve a time slot for a massage through Groupon ir the like while I am in a port of call ... that's even better to me, especially if I have no particular excursion to catch.

They have wood cabanas on the Regal for the massages.

Here is a picture of the inside of those.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/photos/ships/regal-princess-679/the-sanctuary-114071/the-sanctuary--v5954933/

My husband and I have done a couple's massage up in the Sanctuary.

Living in a big city, I've found the prices at the Spa on Princess to be not much more than what I pay around here.

I've been lucky because I tell them the minute that I arrive that I won't be purchasing any extras so not to bother discussing things I should buy. I don't get bothered then.

They have wood cabanas on the Regal for the massages.

Wooden slats, which means they aren't sound-proof. On our Royal cruise last year we were "entertained" by a very loud-voiced woman who was having a massage in the cabana near where we were sitting in the Sanctuary. Not only was it annoying but there were some things about her personal life that I really didn't need to hear. :eek:

We have enjoyed a couples massage in the Spa on cruises. But they are over priced. Around $300 Do them when in port they cost less. Book on embarkation day you may get a deal or win a prize. They will try to sell you everything.