Bringing Along First Timers

bankerbabe

Good afternoon all

On our next cruise, in March of 2011, we are bringing along a family of newbies. They have asked that we all sit down one evening and go over everything that they will need to know for the trip. They are not the type to do their own research, but appreciate the value of mine after having travelled with us before and seeing how smoothly things went for us. (Long story short, we tend to go our separate ways during the day and meet up for dinner. I had everything planned out for us, but they didn't want me to "over plan" for them, so they did their own thing. They saw how much we were able to do and how much fun we had and decided that my "over planning" isn't so bad after all.)

So anyway . . . . .

I'm looking for suggestions for important topics to discuss. So far I have three categories: Dress codes, Rules for the kids, and Cruise-Specific Etiquette.

Any suggestions? We've cruised enough, and travelled in other manners enough, that what seems obvious to us may not be so for these folks. They are not well travelled, and in fact have never taken their kids anywhere, so this is a new experience for them.

Tipping.

If you are driving, what hotels cater to cruisers.

Tipping, what is included and who to tip.

I have a cruising newby Im treating to the cruise, but he needs to be aware of who and what is included and who to tip.

What to do in the ports. suggestions

MDR and how dinner works .. on and on. Telling him he will have to look at his card to know when to eat dinner and where his table will be.

soda is extra (big one in our his case, since his other half is addicted)

Discuss all the documents they will need.

Ship excursions vs. private excursions.

Things they will need to bring with them, ex. power strip, night light. Make sure they know there is only one electrial outlet.

What's included in the cruise fare and what cost extra.

I would include talking about $$, what they may have to pay for on the ship and how to bargin and pay for things off the ship, brining cash etc.

For people who don't like to plan, watching videos on youtube is a fun easy way to see what they may want to do, just search the ports of call in the you tube site.

We're doing the same thing with my in-laws when we cruise next November. I think the most important thing we've shared so far is the true cost of the trip. I keep a financial spreadsheet for each cruise down to the dollars to the port luggage handlers. By the time we cruise, everything that can be paid for in advance is taken care of and money's in the bank for the rest. I think getting a huge unexpected bill at the end could kill a delightful vacation buzz...

~ Sheryl

Let them know about the kids camps

groups are by age.

2 -5 6 -8 9 - 11 12-14 15-17

its very hard to go up in age. so the kids should know whee they stand.

Camps chrge after 10pm at a charge of 6.00 per child. the 9-11 group have a PJ party one night so they just want to budget that.

Its very important the kids go to the meeting the first nigt to meet other kids sailing with them.

--

tell then room service is free-- but they should tip 1 -2 when the food is delivered

Obviously you like them and enjoy being with them or you wouldnt vacation with them, however a trip like this can change a relationship if you dont have some conversation before hand so you have taken the first step.

2) be open minded that they may not be planners like you are and flying by the seat of their pants might be how they like to travel. Im a huge planner but I also allow for the spur of the moment, change in plan as well.

3) What do they want to get out of the trip if everyone is a beach bum or very active then you probably can plan some port time together but if your different then chances are good you will go your own way and meet up

4) Costs...I think this is huge as we think of the cruise as all inclusive but you can spend a fortune on the ship, in port and on excursions. Just transportation alone can add a quick $100 out of pocket. Figure what your budgets are and its ok if they are different just respect that

5) Packing- share your cruise expertise and let them know they only need 1/2 of what they think they do. Help them downsize

6) Documents and pre cruise stuff- Again share with them what is needed, how to find docs and baggage tags etc.

I think when you sit down you will def get a better idea but keep in mind some time together and time apart. You may decide a specific night will be date night and you will part that night. Think about each of you picking a port to be incharge of the planning that way you in your planning mode are not taking over the trip (its easy to do and not even realize it).

I think you have alot of good ideas on here to help get you started

In addition to the great ideas already posted, tell them to familiarize themselves with the layout of the ship on the first day, to go over the Fun Times carefully each night so they can plan activities, and, if they like spa services, that prices are better in port days.

Bankerbabe,

You have received a lot of great additional tips already. Last year my wife and I cruised with 8 newbies and and it was our BEST CRUISE YET! When you get closer to the cruise date the other cruisers will start to ask more questions. We started an email chain with our group. As one of us would ask a question or book an excursion, everybody could read about it and be involved. You could also start a facebook page to exchange info.

Have fun!

We may be in this same predicament/situation. A friendly neighbor who has never cruised said he may like to go along with us next time in his own cabin. We will be as helpful as possible but it's hard to remember every single thing and wouldn't want the newbie to be surprised about something and say "You didn't tell me that." As an adult with a computer shouldn't they do their own research and find out what to expect?

I think this is best list / resource I have ever found regarding cruising with Carnival: http://home.comcast.net/~dr.crash/HomePage.html I sent this to a friend of mine before her first cruise, earlier this year.

Cheers!

There ARE some good tips in there. However, that's a lot of stuff to pack and you're not supposed to bring sandwiches off the ship.

As an adult with a computer shouldn't they do their own research and find out what to expect?

In theory, yes. Then there are people like my DH. :rolleyes:

If they hadn't made him start using a computer at work a year ago, he would never have learned to turn one on.

He ONLY uses it for work (outdoor job---not in an office), and he has no desire to use it for anything personal.

When he wants to know something, he asks me to get on that "Internet thing" and see if I can find it. :D

I think the best advice is to tell them not to expect anything. Then anything that happens is a great experience. And most importantly, leave all their troubles and worries at the dock when they board. They'll be waiting for them when they return.

Film, underwater cameras etc. are available on the ship and in ports but are very expensive. Much cheaper to take with you from home.

Let them in on the secret of how peaceful it is at the bow of the ship late at night or early in the morning.

Take insulated cups for that early morning coffee run to the Lido Deck or for keeping your cold drinks cold on sea days. (Coffee, ice tea and limited fruit juices free on Lido Deck all day.)

Remind them that it's alright to make fools of themselves and do things they normally wouldn't do because more than likely, none of the people on the ship will ever see them again besides you. ;)

Don't forget to remind them about getting trip insurance now. The biggest disappointment non-cruisers have when booking a cruise vacation is finding out how inflexible it is.

Most land vacations, if you are late getting started or your flight is late you get there late, no big deal. On a ship you literally miss the boat.

On a regular vacation if a emergency comes up you may have to pay for one nights lodging, but on a cruise you pay for the whole thing.

Insurance can help alleviate these problems.

I'm also a planner. But your friends need to know that some planning needs to be done or else you will end up at your first port asking each other what you should do. A big time waster. Or something might already be sold out. So, port ideas should be a topic in of itself.

The ages of their children will determine quite a number of things. Will they be using the day camp? What rules do they have for them i.e. how much freedom is allowed away from the parents, will they have a soda card, are they allowed to use S & S card in arcade, what parts of the ship are off limits, how often are they checking in, etc.

Perhaps make a packing list just to get them started. We always bring a clock radio since I wake up several times a night and need to know what time it is. Also, I bring my own hair dryer since I think the ones they provide are too puny. Remind them of the importance of using sunscreen diligently or they'll look like lobsters. Prepare them that cabins are small, not like a big hotel room. You don't want them to have a negative impression right off the bat. Tell them there's no need to pack beach towels.

Obviously, the biggest thing is having proper documentation in order to board the ship in the first place. I'm also a firm believer in travel insurance. Travel Guard insures kids 17 and under for free with an adult purchase.

Have a great time with your friends!

Obviously you like them and enjoy being with them or you wouldnt vacation with them, however a trip like this can change a relationship if you dont have some conversation before hand so you have taken the first step.

2) be open minded that they may not be planners like you are and flying by the seat of their pants might be how they like to travel. Im a huge planner but I also allow for the spur of the moment, change in plan as well.

3) What do they want to get out of the trip if everyone is a beach bum or very active then you probably can plan some port time together but if your different then chances are good you will go your own way and meet up

4) Costs...I think this is huge as we think of the cruise as all inclusive but you can spend a fortune on the ship, in port and on excursions. Just transportation alone can add a quick $100 out of pocket. Figure what your budgets are and its ok if they are different just respect that

5) Packing- share your cruise expertise and let them know they only need 1/2 of what they think they do. Help them downsize

6) Documents and pre cruise stuff- Again share with them what is needed, how to find docs and baggage tags etc.

I think when you sit down you will def get a better idea but keep in mind some time together and time apart. You may decide a specific night will be date night and you will part that night. Think about each of you picking a port to be incharge of the planning that way you in your planning mode are not taking over the trip (its easy to do and not even realize it).

I think you have alot of good ideas on here to help get you started

Very sage advice.

Luckily for us, our husbands have been best of friends since infancy so I'm not terribly concerned about this trip causing a rift. They are very much like brothers. I respect that they aren't planners, and try to stay out of their way of "flying by the seat of their pants" as much as I can. They actually requested that I do more planning for them this time.

We usually go our separate ways during the day, and only find ourselves together at dinner. Our last trip with them, we found ourselves together during the day but separated at dinner because our budgets for food were different. It was fine - we got to eat where we wanted and they were able to just stop at any restaurant that suited their fancy.

Thank you all for your ideas. So far my agenda for the evening looks something like this:

Tipping - Who is Included in Auto Tip, and Who to Tip Extra

Main Dining Room – What to expect and how it works

What is included in your cruise fare – and what isn’t

Share Sample Menus

Documentation Requirements

What NOT to bring

Dress Codes

Rules for the Kids

Various Cruise-Specific Etiquette

Pre-Trip Checklist

Packing Lists

Share our Budget – and Provide a blank

Pass out Copies of Fun Times

Kids’ Clubs

What to Do In Ports

Luckily they wanted my help for the booking part of things, so I sat down with them and we selected cabins for them and the kids that were near ours and sandwiched between other cabins. I showed them lots of pictures to prepare them for the size, and they decided to put the kids in their own inside cabin. I also made sure to get them trip insurance and showed them how to research hotels for before and after the cruise. I'm not worried about the air/land aspect of the vacation as much, but cruising is a different kind of vacation.

Thank you all for your ideas. So far my agenda for the evening looks something like this

Thanks bankerbabe. We've got three newbies going in May and your agenda has given me at least an outline of things to prepare them for.

Don't forget to warn them that the DOD's coming at them when they first get on the ship are not free! Other than that I think you have it covered.

A few months ago Budget Travel had a great article on cruise tips, I think it was called 100 Cruise tips if you want to google it. Did you know a green apple will help with seasickness? :D Which might be another thing to cover with your friends.

Archived