Venice, from Train to Dock Question

If I were you I would get a taxi from Mestre to take you straight to the dock as the dock is a good walk from St. Lucia (Venice) station and if you have luggage you would need to take another land taxi anyway.

Jennie

We're arriving at the Venice airport before the Galaxy 09/26 sailing. Anyone had experience with the water taxi to Venice, train or bus in? I've heard the water taxi is pricey? We're staying on the canal across from the Venice train station.

Kruzinal,

We used the water taxi from our hotel to the airport last year. Our hotel was right on the lagoon, very close to St. Marco Square. It is a once in a lifetime journey and a great way to arrive or leave Venice.

It is pricey, it cost us 80Euros but it is well worth it. If you are staying close to the station, the cheapest way with luggage would be to get a land taxi or public bus.

Jennie

Hi Aussie Gal,

I read on CC that you did a Black Sea Cruise on HAL last year. We are leaving in three weeks for one on the Oceania's Insignia and I was wondering if you posted a review on any board. If so, I would love to read it.

Sheila

Shoshana,

I did a short review of our Black Sea cruise last October on the HAL Board. It was more about the Prinsendam and not a lot about the ports. We loved the cruise and enjoyed seeing Nessebur, Odessa and Yalta. We also went to Istanbul, Kusadasi, Santorini, Dubrovnik, Split and Venice. We left from Athens. We had been to Athens, Istanbul, Kusadasi, Santorini and Venice before. It was an interesting cruise and we found the people in the Ukraine very welcoming as well as the Bulgarians.

I do not have time to hunt up my review from the Prinsendam as we leave tomorrow morning for the U.S. and our Transatlantic trip on the Maasdam going via Newfoundland, Greenland, Iceland, Scotland, Norway to Holland.

Perhaps if you do a search on the HAL Board around the end of October, early November you may find it.

Jennie

I spent a lot of time trying to figure this out last year. You can get off in Mestre and taxi a land taxi or go all the way to the venice city terminal. From that station..if you have rolling luggage go the the far left whn exiting the station and you will find a ramp to exit instead fo the stairs in front of the station.

Directly to the left in front of the station you will find a water taxi station. Negotiate a rate to the cruise ship dock. ( Cost us $60 for four with 10 suitcases.) The taxi will drop you right where the luggage drop it.

Enjoy!

Thanks Jennie. Have a great time on your vacation or do you call it a holiday! After I posted to you, I was able to bring up a wonderful report from Wendy The Wanderer, who was on the Radisson Diamond. Guess what, it was posted on July 5th, 2004 exactly a year ago.

Sheila

Sheila,

I hope it helps with your planning. It was a wonderful experience to go to countries where very few tourists have been.

Thanks for your good wishes. Yes, we do call it a holiday, not a vacation!

Archived