Viking River Cruise - Cabin Location Question

bsa718

Hello All!

Very new to cruising (have never taken one) But was hoping to surprise hubby for his bday next year with a late March/early April Tulips and Windmills cruise on Viking. They are running a great deal now and I spoke with a rep today and have a cruise on hold.

I was hoping I could get advice on the cabin selection. The selection is very limited and the one I have on hold is Cabin 339, which is on the upper deck at the end of the hall right before the Explorer Suites. I noticed it has a stairway right behind our back cabin wall. The sales rep assured me these were not used by passengers and only for safety exits etc. She mentioned that the solar panels are on that side also.

Anyone have any advice on this cabin location and if it might be noisy due to staff using it? The elevators are at the other end of the hall and nothing is above us - only the herb garden. I can't seem to find any independant reviews with cabin tips other than general ones for river ship location.

Thanks in advance for any and all info or advice!

In your cabin location question. If next to stairs, I wouldn't worry about them. The stairs and hallways are carpeted. The top deck has outdoor carpeting on it too. We have had cabins next to stairs, and not heard any traffic noise, or people talking, etc.

When we select a cabin we look more for convenience of location to reception / dining, and proximity to stairs to get to various levels. While not cruise ship size, the boats are long. Middle locations, or close to stairs are convenient.

I agree with Milling73. We have done two cruises with Viking and although neither was on a longship, coincidentally we were at the end of the ship by the stairs and by the ice machine both times. Never a problem! Remember that a river cruise is very different from an ocean cruise: far fewer people and no late-night wild parties. Actually, it turned out to be convenient for us, but certainly not a problem.

Hello All!

Very new to cruising (have never taken one) But was hoping to surprise hubby for his bday next year with a late March/early April Tulips and Windmills cruise on Viking. They are running a great deal now and I spoke with a rep today and have a cruise on hold.

I was hoping I could get advice on the cabin selection. The selection is very limited and the one I have on hold is Cabin 339, which is on the upper deck at the end of the hall right before the Explorer Suites. I noticed it has a stairway right behind our back cabin wall. The sales rep assured me these were not used by passengers and only for safety exits etc. She mentioned that the solar panels are on that side also.

Anyone have any advice on this cabin location and if it might be noisy due to staff using it? The elevators are at the other end of the hall and nothing is above us - only the herb garden. I can't seem to find any independant reviews with cabin tips other than general ones for river ship location.

Thanks in advance for any and all info or advice!

I was on this one with Viking the same time this year. You will love it.

We were in Cabin 338 (across the hall) on the Skadi and loved it. Very quiet. The stairs are for the staff and we never heard them. The stairs at the rear going up are very convenient to get to the upper deck without going all the way forward. We loved the location. Have a great time!

• 3 weeks later...

Great to hear this. We will be on the Viking Delling in June 2014 and will be in room 338. We were a bit concerned about the location but it was the last available in the category when we booked. Does anyone know which side of the ship, port or star side, affords the best viewing on the Romantic Danube.. Budapest to Nuremberg? Not that it matters now but it is still good to know.

Are there any locations where the captain turns the ship full circle to allow full viewing from all sides of the ship? Has anyone experienced that?

We are on the Viking magni as we speak, on the danube the right side of the ship gives the best views especially the Wachau Valley and the towns/vineyards. We arein room 217 midship, no motionwhatsoever

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Forums mobile app

Archived