Help our cabin is not what we expected!

eddiecat

So yesterday my boyfriend and I were given our cabin number on the Oceana. We leave on the 14th of June. We paid for a guaranteed balcony cabin. However the cabin we have received just isn’t up to standards! We are loyal customers and are paying a lot of money to go on this holiday. We have been given,what P&O call a ‘railway cabin’, it’s long and narrow and has 1 fixed single bed with 3 Pullman beds!!!! We are a couple and didn’t expect this whatsoever. We have spoken to P&O but the cruise is full booked so can’t even upgrade us!!! Can someone put me at ease and give some advice??????

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I should think it will be like the picture I just pasted...not bad at all and they will not pull the bunks down if just 2 of you

It’s just disappointing because we have paid for a balcony queen bed cabin, it’s not what we wanted as a couple on holiday.

It’s just disappointing because we have paid for a balcony queen bed cabin, it’s not what we wanted as a couple on holiday.

They will put the beds together to make a queen bed...if that is what you have paid for you should get it otherwise I am sure you have a case for some money to be refunded

They will put the beds together to make a queen bed...if that is what you have paid for you should get it otherwise I am sure you have a case for some money to be refunded

That’s the problem, the beds are fixed and can’t be moved, it’s such a dilemma. They can’t give any money back and can’t change our cabin, feel like we are being ripped off!!

What is your cabin number? Looking at the Oceana deck plan I can't see anything that matches the description you have given.

There are a couple with fixed twin beds but nothing with only 1 fixed bed and 3 pullmans.

B737, if you do some research on the P&O website (I’ve attached a photo of their description of my cabin in their FAQ section) they say that only one of the beds is fixed and the other is also a Pullman / foldaway!

fd0f50622ad04be8f3e63daff9f4737e.jpg

If you have paid for a guaranteed BALCONY cabin, you are being cheated. The illustrated cabin is an outside cabin, with two beds and two pullman.

What is the cabin number that you have been given?

If you have paid for a guaranteed BALCONY cabin, you are being cheated. The illustrated cabin is an outside cabin, with two beds and two pullman.

B737, technically it’s a balcony cabin but it’s narrower than all the other cabins on the ship so I can’t see how we have received a fair deal!!! Look at this explanation they have on their website and tell me I haven’t been ripped off. What worries me even more is that there are no pictures ANYWHERE of this alleged “balcony fixed bed cabin”. There isn’t even 2 fixed bed, it’s 1 bed and 3 foldout beds and they say there is nothing they can do!!!!!! We have paid £3000 for this room.

9e7ebac6fffaf0511d63b8152b4d58fe.jpg

Sorry, £3000 EACH!!!!

I’d be annoyed as well, but when you say you’ve paid for a guaranteed balcony cabin, was it a Saver fare? If so, because you can’t choose the cabin on saver fares, it’s a risk with Oceana with the number of fixed bed cabins. The only way to avoid would be a Select fare and choose your cabin at time of booking and selecting the no upgrade option. It’s pants though - as a couple, who’d want a ‘railway’ cabin that has one of the lower twin beds folding up against the wall?!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I’d be annoyed as well, but when you say you’ve paid for a guaranteed balcony cabin, was it a Saver fare? If so, because you can’t choose the cabin on saver fares, it’s a risk with Oceana with the number of fixed bed cabins. The only way to avoid would be a Select fare and choose your cabin at time of booking and selecting the no upgrade option. It’s pants though - as a couple, who’d want a ‘railway’ cabin that has one of the lower twin beds folding up against the wall?!!

Exactly!!! It’s so annoying I just feel like crying! Well I’m not sure we did this all through a travel agency and they didn’t really tell us what was going on and just quickly booked it for us earlier in February. Feel like we should have just sorted it independently now.

Looking at the description, with one lower twin fixed and the other folding against the way, I’m guessing it’s unlikely it can be made into a Queen

Looking at the description, with one lower twin fixed and the other folding against the way, I’m guessing it’s unlikely it can be made into a Queen

We’ve been in chance and the beds are all fixed, no chance for a queen. Total let down, we are very loyal customers to P&O and never had a problem like this before. Surely there is someone out there who has a non fixed twin room of the same grade cabin who would be willing to swap!!!

Have you been in touch with your travel agent ? They might be able to contact P and O on your behalf. I know that P and O will not deal with you directly if you booked through a travel agent. I would call your agent and kick up a big stink and tell them you are going to complain to the ombudsman because the details were NOT sold to you correctly.

Have you been in touch with your travel agent ? They might be able to contact P and O on your behalf. I know that P and O will not deal with you directly if you booked through a travel agent. I would call your agent and kick up a big stink and tell them you are going to complain to the ombudsman because the details were NOT sold to you correctly.

We have, and I’ve spoken to P&O directly but the cruise is fully booked. Every suite and balcony cabin taken. It’s such a disaster. Not sure what our options are but P&O said they would ring us on Monday after talking to the managers. Fingers crossed they can sort this, otherwise we will be asking for compensation!

We had a guarantee cabin on a select price on Oceana last October and it worked out fine. However we did specify on the cruise personaliser that we wanted a queen bed. I don't think P&O can be held to blame if the travel agent didn't put through the correct information. I have looked at the FAQs and I assume the cabin is the same sq footage as a normal balcony cabin, just longer and thinner. Sounds like P&O are trying to accommodate the request to change though so fingers crossed.

Yes they’re being very helpful, hats off to them for doing their best. We did put on the personaliser that we wanted a Queen bed and we still received this room, its just very disappointing for us.

£6000!!.....wow....how long a cruise is it for....7 or 14 nights?....whichever...that is way over the top for a guaranteed cabin

14 nights, the cruise was very popular and was the only one that our family liked the look of. It’s far too much money, hence why we are even more upset about our cabin.

£6000!!.....wow....how long a cruise is it for....7 or 14 nights?....whichever...that is way over the top for a guaranteed cabin

Wow... I Agree! This is sounding more and more like the blame sits with your travel agent not fully explaining the risk of saver fares with cabin allocation (and not knowing enough about Oceana!). I’m guessing it’s a med fly cruise - still very expensive! I can fully understand why you’re so upset

Hi....bit of a long shot...but did you request a Queen bed formation....if so I would insist that is what you need and what P&O should provide

Yes we requested for Queen bed when we booked it, which is why we are really disappointed