Akaroa Tender Process - RCI's Radiance

kccrzr

I would like to know how long the tender takes from the ship to the wharf in Akaroa and whether all of the earliest tenders are taken by ship's tours. Our itinerary indicates we will be at Akaroa at 8:00 am - I am trying to figure out what time we can reasonably expect to make a private tour. Many thanks.

Hmmm we were up early on the Sun princess.....it's quite a long tender in....but the trouble we had was they let all the shore excursions go first as they needed early starts... we were tender tickets 4 and waited a good hour....(yes we had early breakfast in our rooms at 6am ) BUT we got to the wharf at around 9.10 and we were amongst the first to get off....its the slowest tender port I have come across....big time.....but will be intresting to see what others come back with....even those who were elite wsre made to have a tender ticket here.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 4

I wouldn't prepay any private tour in Akaroa, as our ship, Celebrity Century, cancelled the tender at this port, due to seas.

Locals at Akaroa, which is only small, understand the situation with regard to getting off the ship. Just try to get off asap.

I would like to know how long the tender takes from the ship to the wharf in Akaroa and whether all of the earliest tenders are taken by ship's tours. Our itinerary indicates we will be at Akaroa at 8:00 am - I am trying to figure out what time we can reasonably expect to make a private tour. Many thanks.

If you are entitled to the Concierge Lounge, suggest you speak nicely with the concierge and especially if you are a group of CC's. You should be able to get priority on the tenders. If not, ask at the tender ticket station and mention you have a group of cruise critics to get ashore, they usually react positively.

Tender takes about 20 minutes or so. Radiance is usually on time or early. Only thing to prevent on time is rough sea condition at the port entrance which I think only happened once last season and also there was one case of tenders not being able to get back to ship until next day. Passengers were accommodated privately in the small town.

Thanks for all the advice. Unfortunately, we are not eligible for the CL nor is this tour with a group of CCers. For now, the plan is to talk to Guest Services once on board and try our best to catch the first tender. I noted the possible issue when making the original reservation and I am sure I won't be the first nor last that will be in this situation. It is heartening to hear Radiance occasionally arrives early. May the odds be in our favor that day. :)

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Thanks for all the advice. Unfortunately, we are not eligible for the CL nor is this tour with a group of CCers. For now, the plan is to talk to Guest Services once on board and try our best to catch the first tender. I noted the possible issue when making the original reservation and I am sure I won't be the first nor last that will be in this situation. It is heartening to hear Radiance occasionally arrives early. May the odds be in our favor that day. :)

Tender tickets usually are available as soon as the ship is anchored. The staff set up a table just near Café Lattetudes on deck 5 so I would have one of you grab an early coffee and hang around between the green staircase and the lifts so you can be at the head of the line.

Good luck.

Thanks for all of the information and advice. Like Cleopetra, the tour I was originally thinking about also had an 8:30 meeting time for a 9:00 am tour. Although we have access to the CL, I exchanged emails with the tour operator to see if there were any leeway in the meeting time in case we did not arrive right on time or could not get on one of the earliest tenders out and he suggested we not take the chance. So we are working on getting on a later tour.

Good luck to you Cleopetra, we will be hoping for excellent weather.

On our Radiance cruise in Jan the advice from CD was that if you were not on a ship tour and needed an early tender then be ready early and it should be no problem getting off early - they didn't even give out tickets for the 1st few tenders. Once the mob + ship tour passengers start to need tendering then it gets busy and tickets are needed.

We have thus far always done ship tours at tender ports.

Happy cruising

Cleopetra: it IS the same tour. For some reason, every time I checked the online reservation system the two later tours showed they were fully booked. However, when I sent my enquiry to the tour operator I was told there was availability on the noon tour, so that is the one we signed up for - if you are concerned about making the early morning tour, I suggest you send an email enquiring about availability on the later tours.

Hi kccrzr.

I contacted Black Cat and they also moved us to the noon trip. Thank you so much for that info. I never would have thought to ask otherwise. Hope you have a great time on your trip. When are you going?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Cleopetra: Glad it worked out for you. It looks like we are on the same cruise - 2/14/14 Sydney to Perth on Radiance of the Seas. We are very excited as it will be our first time to Australia and New Zealand as well as the longest cruise we have ever taken.

It is also our first time in Australia, too. We are doing the Sydney to Perth and then Perth to Sydney as a B2B so it will definitely be our longest cruise ever. I am so excited about the dolphin swim. It was a huge relief to get it moved to noon. We are still figuring out what to do at some of the other ports.

I am glad we are on the same trip and look forward to meeting you.

Regards,

Petra

• 1 month later...
It is also our first time in Australia, too. We are doing the Sydney to Perth and then Perth to Sydney as a B2B so it will definitely be our longest cruise ever. I am so excited about the dolphin swim. It was a huge relief to get it moved to noon. We are still figuring out what to do at some of the other ports.

I am glad we are on the same trip and look forward to meeting you.

Regards,

Petra

You will love swimming with the dolphins in Akaroa . I did it for my birthday and absolutely loved it !!

You will love swimming with the dolphins in Akaroa . I did it for my birthday and absolutely loved it !!

Good to hear - I think it will be great fun. Now if only I can lose 20 pounds so I don't feel like a stuffed sausage in that wet suit.:eek:

Archived