Tsa Locks

Boiler Cruiser

TSA locks are ones that the TSA passkey opens. In theory, if you these, TSA will use their passkey to open the luggage and then reclose the lock when they are done. If you use a non-TSA lock, they will simply cut it off. FWIW, while they sometimes work, I have had TSA locks cut off.

What do you ask for? Simply a TSA lock or TSA approved lock.

Obviously, they all have a key mechanism. Some also are combination locks. the latter are a good idea because if you lose your key, you can still open the lock.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=tsa+lock&x=0&y=0

is the result of searching amazon.com for "tsa lock"

You can find these marked locks either key or combination at Walmart or any luggage department. They have what almost looks like a little red cross on them.

Also, if your luggage is opened and inspected by TSA, they are supposed to put in a "notice" telling you they did inspect. However, that is not always done.

Bon Voyage

Nanatravel

I don't bother with them any more. I bought 2 for a cruise in 2005. First one broke on the way home, second broke on the next trip a year later. Not very secure IMO. You are better off using zip ties to "lock" your bags. Just be sure to bring a nail clipper or scissors to "unlock" them.

I've seen many mentions of "TSA locks" for luggage taken on cruises. What are "TSA locks"? How do I recognize a "TSA lock"?

Where can I find them? What do I ask for in the store?

Thanks

If you are not flying, dont bother with TSA locks, just use regular ones. Cruiseline will not open your luggage, they will notify you to do it if it needs done

You don't HAVE to use TSA approved locks--it's not a law! You can use any kind of lock, either keyed or combination. If the TSA wants to get in your bag, they'll cut the lock off--and you KNOW someone has been in there! 90 % of the time, they won't open anything, so why make it easy for someone else to get into your stuff?

Wal-mart sells luggage sized locks (keyed) for next to nothing--and they're sturdy and come in sets, so you only need one key for all the locks!

You can also get TSA locks that will tell you if your luggage has been opened. http://www.magellans.com/store/Safety___Security___Locks___TagsSL742?Args=

They're the same price as ordinary TSA locks. If I didn't already have 7 or 8 of the ordinary TSA locks (None of which has ever broken over many years of use) I'd get these. I have gotten the inspection notice a couple of times.

I don't bother with them any more. I bought 2 for a cruise in 2005. First one broke on the way home, second broke on the next trip a year later. Not very secure IMO. You are better off using zip ties to "lock" your bags. Just be sure to bring a nail clipper or scissors to "unlock" them.

I agree, I don't bother with any locks - you can buy the zip or cable ties to secure your bags at Target or a hardware store and lock your luggage.

They come in colors, so I know if anyone has opened my luggage. As recommended, I put a nail clipper in the checked baggage outter pocket so that I can snip them open when I arrive.

This works best for me! :)

I've seen many mentions of "TSA locks" for luggage taken on cruises. What are "TSA locks"? How do I recognize a "TSA lock"?

Where can I find them? What do I ask for in the store?

Thanks

I bought a package of two small luggage locks made by brinks that are tsa. They have a red and white six sided emblem on them and the word brinks under that. on the bottom they have a code TSA 001. I think they were around $6.00 for the package at the most. I got the at Home Depot. They work with a key.

I agree, I don't bother with any locks - you can buy the zip or cable ties to secure your bags at Target or a hardware store and lock your luggage.

They come in colors, so I know if anyone has opened my luggage. As recommended, I put a nail clipper in the checked baggage outter pocket so that I can snip them open when I arrive.

This works best for me! :)

I do basically the same thing, although I carry the fingernail clippers with me. It is allowed according to TSA rules.

We have used TSA locks on our last three cruises. They have the indicator on them that tells you if they have been opened, but we also always have had the notice inside our bag as well. We feel more secure having these locks (not so much for the flight/airport, but for the rest of our trip) as they can only be unlocked by TSA officials or us... now if they want to cut them off or break them, it's a little more difficult to do serruptitously so hopefully it is less likely to happen. If you use cable ties once they are cut off, anyone thereafter has easy access to your property. The TSA will relock your bag with the TSA locks, but if the ties are cut, your bags are carte blanc for anyone else to riffle through them You won't be able to resecure them until you claim them after your flight.

I love my TSA locks. I have the ones that change color if they've been opened - and they have been many times. Occasionally I get the "official notice" inside my bag, but rarely. But at least I know from looking at the lock that someone's been in my bag.

I got mine from www.ricksteves.com. Magellan's has them too. I also put these small locks on the zippers of my backpack so "itchy fingers" can't open the pockets. I don't keep anything of value in the backpack (I always use a moneybelt for valuables), but still don't want my stuff messed with. This is especially important in Europe. One time I purposely left one pocket unlocked (with nothing in it) just to see if a pickpocket would open it and sure enough - twice while riding the Paris Metro it was open after I got off the train! One time I actually heard the zipper being opened and when I turned around to see who it was I was shocked to see a well dressed businessman-looking guy! The other time it was opened I didn't hear it.

Initially I got the TSA locks that you set your own combination, which I thought would be great, as no key to lose.

Major problem - - After very carefully following the exact directions for setting your combination, it never worked. I could not set a combination of my choosing. I tried innumerable times, and never suceeded. I ended up tossing them in the "junk drawer", though I don't know why I bothered to even keep them. They are useless.

Since that time, I have bought the keyed TSA locks. They were packaged as a set of 2, with 4 keys provided and all 4work on both locks. That allows me to carry one key in my purse and one in a carry-on or tote bag, as a backup. And I still have 2 more keys at home in case I lose one.

You can just ask for a TSA lock...it's pretty apparent what they are. The packaging will also indiate that the TSA has a key for the lock.

I'm amazed by the number of people who put valuables in their luggage. I never lock my luggage....it's just a big neon sign to theives that there's something valuable in there.

We have used TSA locks on our last three cruises. They have the indicator on them that tells you if they have been opened, but we also always have had the notice inside our bag as well. We feel more secure having these locks (not so much for the flight/airport, but for the rest of our trip) as they can only be unlocked by TSA officials or us... now if they want to cut them off or break them, it's a little more difficult to do serruptitously so hopefully it is less likely to happen. If you use cable ties once they are cut off, anyone thereafter has easy access to your property. The TSA will relock your bag with the TSA locks, but if the ties are cut, your bags are carte blanc for anyone else to riffle through them You won't be able to resecure them until you claim them after your flight.

In my experience, when TSA decides to look through my bag secured with cable ties, after they cut my cable tie and do their thing, they have always secured my bag with one of their cable ties.

Pete

A while ago our local new had video of baggabe handles going through people's luggage. Thed do it in a way that's barely noticeable. They can clip a cable tie and take something out of a suitcase so quickly. And there would be nothing to prevent a baggage handler either removing luggage from the hallways or even someone on shore from clipping a cable tie. I just trust a lock more. On the other hand, I don't pack anything particularly valuable in checked luggage I still don't like the idea of someone going through it.

Archived