Southampton Harbour Hotel

Florry

As hotels and places to stay the night before a cruise are frequently discussed, I thought I’d post about this brand new addition. We visited with friends at the weekend, here is a brief overview:

- Rooms very nice expect to pay approx £250pn

- Food is very good but expect to pay approx £65pp in the restaurant with wine

- Car parking and ease of finding the hotel are both very poor, this may improve as the surrounding developments are completed

- Located at Ocean Village Marina so good views, but it’s on the outskirts of the city

-There is a spa but didn’t see this

-Generally very hip and trendy, won’t let you in to the hotel or venues inside the hotel if your name isn’t on the list (lots of unhappy people milling around, letting the staff know how much they are worth when unable to get into the bar). I think they are trying to create something exclusive so people are desperate to be seen there [emoji849]

-Would I recommend it for a pre-cruise stay? No, I think there are more relaxing, convenient and better priced hotels to choose from before booking this.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for posting this we had looked at the hotel as we were thinking of doing a ex Southampton cruise but decided against it opting for a fly cruise instead. We have been from Southampton before and will again with a hotel stay the night before so one off the hotel list.

We are booked in here for a pre cruise stay with car parking. I will let you know what I think.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you are actually staying I think they will valet park for you Dai

We looked at the Harbour Hotel pre cruise but decided against it. The price was quite similar to the deluxe sea view room at the Grand Harbour we have booked. Cheaper than the price stated here if I remember. The Grand Harbour seems to be in a more spacious location, near the city centre and closer to the port. We should also get to see our ship.

I thought I would wait for the Harbour Hotel to settle down and perhaps book it in 2019. I will be very interested to hear what people on here think after they have stayed.

Best wishes, Stephen.

Edited by stephen@stoneyard.co.uk

This new hotel is not near the city centre, its not really near anywhere. We went to a flight museum nearby last week. A good 15 minute walk (if not longer) from there to near the red jet terminal. The shops etc at west quay are on further than that. It is on the edge of the marina so if you like looking at bouncing little yachts this is your place. Couldn't really see anywhere else close by to eat out. Trying to be something its not, comes to mind. Plus at the prices quoted...please..a def. one to miss out one feels.

This new hotel is not near the city centre, its not really near anywhere. We went to a flight museum nearby last week. A good 15 minute walk (if not longer) from there to near the red jet terminal. The shops etc at west quay are on further than that. It is on the edge of the marina so if you like looking at bouncing little yachts this is your place. Couldn't really see anywhere else close by to eat out. Trying to be something its not, comes to mind. Plus at the prices quoted...please..a def. one to miss out one feels.

Thank you. I was tempted by the Harbour Hotel. I really enjoyed the Flight Museum. I had always wanted too see a flying boat.

Best wishes, Stephen.

Thank you. I was tempted by the Harbour Hotel. I really enjoyed the Flight Museum. I had always wanted too see a flying boat.

Best wishes, Stephen.

I think you may have been misinformed there are a number of pubs and eating places in that area and Oxford street with its many restaurants is only 10 minutes away. The High Street is 17 minutes away.

Not exactly out of the way.

I would agree with Dai, it's a while since I was in Ocean Village itself, but there was quite a selection of restaurants and bars there, and as Dai says, Oxford Street isn't very far away.

The hotel is doing some good deals up to Christmas too.

I think you may have been misinformed there are a number of pubs and eating places in that area.

I don’t think I ever commented on the number of pubs and restaurants in that area. We usually eat at the hotel as we arrive quite late for a pre cruise stay.

Best wishes, Stephen.

They are definitely working to regenerate the Ocean Village area again. I say again because I’m sure they gave it a facelift in the late 80s/early90s it had one of the first multi screen cinemas and we went there a couple of times. Then we returned about 10 years later and it was like a ghost town with all the restaurants boarded up, I was quite surprised. Lots of very nice big yachts there at the weekend and there seemed to be a buzz about the place.

We all have our preferences but we and our cruising buddies decided it wasn’t for us, perhaps it was because we were there on a Saturday night and it’s newly opened that we felt this way but it had a very ‘young London’ feel.

What deal did you get in the parking Dai? That could change my mind!

For now I think we will stick with The Pig in the Wall for its boutique feel, lovely rooms and secure parking. Wouldn’t suit everyone as they don’t do much in the way of food and I don’t think there is a lift.

I don’t think I ever commented on the number of pubs and restaurants in that area. We usually eat at the hotel as we arrive quite late for a pre cruise stay.

Best wishes, Stephen.

My response was not directed at you only in that I thought you had been given misleading information by another poster.

It is very near to quite a number of restaurants near the marina including the Pitcher and Piano Bar. However, as there is a lot of construction in the area, it is not easy to find one's way around at the moment and/or access where you want to go, but I'm sure that signage will improve as the area nears completion.

I think the hotel has The Jetty Restaurant https://www.southampton-harbour-hotel.co.uk/dining/jetty/ which if it is your kind of place is worth a try. We have been to the one in Guildford and really enjoyed the experience.

It is very near to quite a number of restaurants near the marina including the Pitcher and Piano Bar. However, as there is a lot of construction in the area, it is not easy to find one's way around at the moment and/or access where you want to go, but I'm sure that signage will improve as the area nears completion.

I think the hotel has The Jetty Restaurant https://www.southampton-harbour-hotel.co.uk/dining/jetty/ which if it is your kind of place is worth a try. We have been to the one in Guildford and really enjoyed the experience.

All of the food was great except for the grilled fish 🤢7d3e2b24ccb5deff813e2ae3d0aeefa5.jpg

Florry, one faux pas they made in Guildford was to serve red wine in the ice bucket, which they put near us.

[emoji23] they took my coat for the cloakroom only for me to watch it being slung onto a table and left there!

Doesn't seem the most sensible idea to name it The Harbour. With Southampton also having a Grand Harbour Hotel, there may well be some confusion.

It’s part of a chain, called the Harbour.

As hotels and places to stay the night before a cruise are frequently discussed, I thought I’d post about this brand new addition. We visited with friends at the weekend, here is a brief overview:

- Rooms very nice expect to pay approx £250pn

- Food is very good but expect to pay approx £65pp in the restaurant with wine

- Car parking and ease of finding the hotel are both very poor, this may improve as the surrounding developments are completed

- Located at Ocean Village Marina so good views, but it’s on the outskirts of the city

-There is a spa but didn’t see this

-Generally very hip and trendy, won’t let you in to the hotel or venues inside the hotel if your name isn’t on the list (lots of unhappy people milling around, letting the staff know how much they are worth when unable to get into the bar). I think they are trying to create something exclusive so people are desperate to be seen there [emoji849]

-Would I recommend it for a pre-cruise stay? No, I think there are more relaxing, convenient and better priced hotels to choose from before booking this.

Hope this helps.

How much:eek::eek::eek:

Being a Yorkshire lass , I think I will give this a miss .....

How much:eek::eek::eek:

Being a Yorkshire lass , I think I will give this a miss .....

Again a bit misleading I am paying only a small amount more than that for DBB and car parking for 4 weeks. It’s not cheap but not that much more than many others.

Very interesting thread. Slightly off topic I'm looking at Premier Inn for June and the West Quay one we really like is booked up.

On looking at the Premier Inn website there is one called "city centre" which doesn't look very central bearing in mind we are being dropped off so won't have a car. There is a brand new one called just "southampton|" that doesn't even show up on google maps yet! That looks like a better location for us.

Do any of you who know Southampton well know anything about it? It wasn't on the list when I booked for my Feb cruise! It's on Cumberland Place if that helps.