2 questions for MS Fram Passengers?

caramelo

We are booked on the MS Fram for the Antarctic at the end of February 2009. Included is a night in a 4 star hotel en Buenos Aires. Does anyone know which hotel do Hurtigurten use in Buenos Aires....? I would like know as we will be staying a 2nd night extra ourselves and would prefer to book the same hotel rather than change. Also I would like to know what area we will be in, so as to look for activities close the hotel Tango show, etc.

What type of coat or jacket do Hurtigruten give the passengers? Are they sufficiently warm and waterproof or do you recommend me to purchase one?

Lastly......any recommendations of what "not to miss" in Buenos Aires? I would like to see a Tango show. Is it worth seeing a show with Gauchos? Any suggestions will be very welcome. Thanks

We are booked on the MS Fram for the Antarctic at the end of February 2009. Included is a night in a 4 star hotel en Buenos Aires. Does anyone know which hotel do Hurtigurten use in Buenos Aires....?

I am surprised it is not advertised in their broshures or online as it is with other companies.

Also, I think you should just call them. Just because someone was on one of their ships does not mean the hotel will e the same on another trip.

I'm going on the North and South antarctica (Marguerite bay) trip in february, 4th-17th, and we are staying at the Panamericano hotel in Buenos Aires.

http://www.panamericano.us/

Hope this is the information you where looking for.

Just under 4 months left - about to start shoping for the things we need for the trip. We are spending an additional two nights in BA ourselves. We just called our travelagent and they added the two nights to the total trip cost.

It was the Panamericano we stayed at in dec 06. Good hotel, quite central & near the Obelisk. If you are interested in Antarctic history, visit the "Corvette Uruguay" in the docks area. Now a museum ship with lots of memorabilia on board but unfortunately all captions were in Spanish, still glad I found it though.

I'm going on the North and South antarctica (Marguerite bay) trip in february, 4th-17th, and we are staying at the Panamericano hotel in Buenos Aires.

http://www.panamericano.us/

Hope this is the information you where looking for.

Just under 4 months left - about to start shoping for the things we need for the trip. We are spending an additional two nights in BA ourselves. We just called our travelagent and they added the two nights to the total trip cost.

WildEye, I hope you write a review when you return. We will actually be in the Antarctic at the same time as you (on another ship) and heard about both the Fram and the itinerary to Marguerite Bay after we were already booked (2 years in advance). When I heard that ths itinerary on Fram included going to see Emperor Penguins (it's Emperor and not King, correct?), I was totally bummed out I was not on your ship. Someone who posted to me who works in the area replied to me at the time that it was really unlikely you would either get there or actually see these large Penguins and thought it was a marketing ploy to sell the itinerary. I hope they are wrong for your sake, and want to hear when you return if you see these Penguins. I also wish the ship we are on would head to this colony as well.

Do you have any information on the location and how long it takes to get Marguerite Bay since I haven't heard of any other ships going there?

hurtigrutren usa mas de un hotel en buenos aires, se que el panamericano y el sheraton son y han sido usados por ellos, para ver que hotel te toco a vos yo te diria que mejor te contactes con ellos y les preguntes, las areas son buenas, centricas, nada de que preocuparce al respecto,

la campera de la temporada anterior declino con respecto a la anterior a esta pero para el viento y la impermiabilidad esta perfecta,

yo no compraria una, usaria camiseta termica y mas de un polar,

ellos proveen las botas para el desembarco,

yo no aseguraria en lo absoluto lo de los emperadores mencionados en otra de las respuestas mas arriba,

opinion personal, el barco es espectacular en todo sentido, la compañia es barbara, el destino es grandioso, buena suerte con el clima y las ballenas,

wish u a gorgeus trip!!

Muchas gracias 1612......muy buenos consejos, gracias de verdad!

Thanksyou everybody else for your great replys. I did contact the company, and they have confirmed that in our case the hotel booked in Buenos Aires is the NH City otel, in the street Boulevard.....in Buenos Aires..it looks great and a good location.....

Thanks again for the replies........... :)

WildEye, I hope you write a review when you return. We will actually be in the Antarctic at the same time as you (on another ship) and heard about both the Fram and the itinerary to Marguerite Bay after we were already booked (2 years in advance). When I heard that ths itinerary on Fram included going to see Emperor Penguins (it's Emperor and not King, correct?), I was totally bummed out I was not on your ship. Someone who posted to me who works in the area replied to me at the time that it was really unlikely you would either get there or actually see these large Penguins and thought it was a marketing ploy to sell the itinerary.

We booked this trip as soon as i found out about it. Strange thing is that I had to go on the US website of Hurtigrute to find the information. The Norwegian pages are not very informative regarding the Antarctica trips. Due to budget limitations, we are getting one of the smaller cabins. I figure we will spend enough time on deck and in the lounge.

I plan on taking lots of pictures (ofc) and I think some kind of review will probably not be to far off. Brining my laptop on the journey, so the "downtime" will be spent wisely. :)

The documentation we have gotten points out that there will not be any landings in the Marguerite Bay area, where the penguin colonies are at least - enviomental reasons. I think its unlikely we will see emperor penguins. Thats not the main reason we selected that trip though. This trip will spend roughly double the amount of time in the arctic as the other Hurtigruten trips, for a small additional price. Would have loved to visit South Georgia and the Falklands, but one cannot have everything...

I hope they are wrong for your sake, and want to hear when you return if you see these Penguins. I also wish the ship we are on would head to this colony as well.

Sure would be nice to see them, but its not a deal breaker if we don't. Being realistic will make the event that much better if we do actually see them.

Do you have any information on the location and how long it takes to get Marguerite Bay since I haven't heard of any other ships going there?

Day 1: Buenos Aires

Day 2: Ushuaia - embarking

Day 3-4: Drake passage

Day 4-12: Antarctica

* it does not list in detail what sailing order or how long it will take, but points of interest include Marguerite Bay, crossing the southern polar circle 66*33'south, possible visits to Base E (British), Rothera Base (US) both these are in the Marguerite bay area, Deception Island, Half Moon Island, Yankee Harbour, Cuverville Island, Neko Harbour, Paradise Harbour, Lemaire Channel, Petermann Island, Port Lockroy, Whilhelmina Bay, Antarctic Sound and Brown Bluff.

With the added 3-4 days compared to the "normal" cruises, the chance to see most if not all these locations is much higher.

Day 12-13: Drake passage

Day 14 disembarking - Ushuaia

Day 15 Buenos Aires

The documentation we have gotten points out that there will not be any landings in the Marguerite Bay area, where the penguin colonies are at least - enviomental reasons. I think its unlikely we will see emperor penguins. Thats not the main reason we selected that trip though. This trip will spend roughly double the amount of time in the arctic as the other Hurtigruten trips, for a small additional price. Would have loved to visit South Georgia and the Falklands, but one cannot have everything...

With the added 3-4 days compared to the "normal" cruises, the chance to see most if not all these locations is much higher.

Interesting, and you are going with a great attitude! I did notice your trip spent extra time on the Peninsula and we couldn't take off more time from work if we wanted to. We actually picked the Minerva because of the 5 full days in the Antarctic (as the trips to South Georgia and Falkland sound great but most we looked at only had 4 days in Antarctic).

Hello WildEye,

What date are you going? Are you also going with the MS FRAM?

I liked very much when you said "I plan on taking lots of pictures (ofc) and I think some kind of review will probably not be to far off. Brinigng my laptop on the journey, so the "downtime" will be spent wisely" as this is nearly always the same as what we do on a trip........... but we would love to see you review on your return :)

Hello Caramelo.

We are going on the February 2th to February 17th (actual cruise sailing days 4th to 16th) trip to Marguerite Bay. http://www.hurtigruten.us/Antarctica-Cruise.asp

We have added a couple of days in Buenos Aires before the Cruise, and on the return trip we will spend almost some time in New York city and Washington DC. When traveling half way around the world, it makes sense to extend the trip for a few days.

Archived