Princess and MedJet Assist

MsSoCalCruiser

I hope it is OK that I posted this. If not, please remove.

I always purchase the travel insurance from Princess but I am thinking of also purchasing MedJet Assist. It sounds like they fly you home if you are sick or injured. I think this is the company that Pam in CA has talked about before but I'm not sure.

Have you purchased this? Hopefully, Pam also sees my post.

Yup. We bought MedJet Assist for years and used them to fly my brother-in-law home back in 2010 from FLL. Very reasonable. They will fly you from anywhere in the world to anywhere you need or want to be on a medical jet with nurse, etc.

Completely separate from Princess insurance which will fly you to the nearest major medical center. If that medical center is 3,000 miles from home, they’ll fly you home on a commercial flight. We ran into this when we were told at first that Princess would fly my BIL back to CA but then they said it would only be commercial. He was still in critical condition but stable, and obviously unable to fly commercially. So, they declined to fly him.

Interestingly, I posted on CC what they said and two hours later, called my sister and said they would be happy to make arrangements for a medical jet. By then, it was all arranged with MedJet. They took care of everything, including coordinating with the hospitals on both ends and transfer from hospitals to/from airports. Pretty sure they flew him into SNA even though it was 2am as that was the closest airport to Mission Hospital in Mission Viejo. Not sure and never found out.

Once you turn 75, the price goes way up and you need doctors forms filled out. I didn’t renew once I turned 75. I think there’s a discount with AAA membership. It’s worth getting.

Yup. We bought MedJet Assist for years and used them to fly my brother-in-law home back in 2010 from FLL. Very reasonable. They will fly you from anywhere in the world to anywhere you need or want to be on a medical jet with nurse, etc.

Once you turn 75, the price goes way up and you need doctors forms filled out. I didn’t renew once I turned 75. I think there’s a discount with AAA membership. It’s worth getting.

We agree that MedJet Assist is worth getting. The AAA insurance is a different insurance and coverage and is called EA+ I believe. Less expensive, but, they will only fly you on a commercial flight with a medical assistant. We also buy the Princess coverage and it has paid off more than once. Fortunately, not for anything too serious so far.

We purchased Medjet Assist last year and will purchase it again this year. The only caveat is you must be admitted to a hospital before they will come fly you home. We purchased a 1 year (365 days from date of purchase) policy that covered us for our 7 week camping trip, a 28 day Hawaii/South Pacific cruise, and a 14 day Circle Caribbean cruise. Fortunately we didn't need the policy but it was good to know it was there.

Even though I am past 75, I still think the cost of MedJetAssist is worth the price if for the peace of mind it provides, should it be needed when on cruises in Europe. It's about $100 more per year than before age 75, and will only cover one transport per membership year. But if I'm sick or injured enough to need their services, I seriously doubt I'd be traveling again within that membership year.

Another plus is it also covers me when I am traveling over 150 miles from home within the US.

I have this insurance. It has way too many benefits to list here so I put a link below to its website.

Many organizations offer this insurance to its members at a discount as a membership benefit. I get it through the VFW. I pay $144 per year for my wife and myself. The peace of mind is well worth the cost.

https://www.emergencyassistanceplus.com/

We purchased Medjet Assist last year and will purchase it again this year. The only caveat is you must be admitted to a hospital before they will come fly you home. We purchased a 1 year (365 days from date of purchase) policy that covered us for our 7 week camping trip, a 28 day Hawaii/South Pacific cruise, and a 14 day Circle Caribbean cruise. Fortunately we didn't need the policy but it was good to know it was there.

The bolded is an important point. There are a lot of conditions I might prefer be handled by a doctor at home, but unless one requires a hospital admission, Medjet Assist will not assist. And more and more procedures are done outpatient these days, which makes Medjet Assist less valuable than in the past. Still, we purchase it.

The bolded is an important point. There are a lot of conditions I might prefer be handled by a doctor at home, but unless one requires a hospital admission, Medjet Assist will not assist. And more and more procedures are done outpatient these days, which makes Medjet Assist less valuable than in the past. Still, we purchase it.

Plus you must be medically stable in order to be transported!

If you go to the hospital with chest pains and need bypass surgery right away - you may not be stable to fly across the world to your home hospital

I have a two year policy with them and never buy trip insurance. The major cost of an illness and getting home is transportation. Evacuation can run six figures and that's what's unaffordable. The cost of the cruise, well I'll just eat it. The money saved from buying insurance for each individual trip would be way more then loosing a cruise fare.

I am doing several trips and cruises in the next two years, so I did some in depth investigation into travel insurance and found, in my situation, that for the price, I use Princess's insurance. DH and I are in our early 70's and usually it is just the two of us travelling. I also like that when I get all those price drops, the price of the insurance goes down too. And since we are in our 70's, the cost is equal to or better than insuremytrip.com, etc.

But then there was that travel home possibility. So I bought two years of Medjet for that expensive possibility. So I feel secure at this point in covering my travel insurance needs without breaking the bank. Now, for example, I am doing a family cruise and went with independent insurance that time as the family is much younger, and children are free, etc., so going independent was less expensive in that case.

So it just depends on how much peace of mind you want and how much you want to be self insured.

Pooh

I use Princess's insurance. DH and I are in our early 70's and usually it is just the two of us travelling. I also like that when I get all those price drops, the price of the insurance goes down too. And since we are in our 70's, the cost is equal to or better than insuremytrip.com, etc.

So it just depends on how much peace of mind you want and how much you want to be self insured.

I actually buy 3rd party insurance as I want peace of mind and to have better coverage for medical coverage. 20K in medical coverage (what Apple offers) is very minimal, even with Medjet Assist.

I actually buy 3rd party insurance as I want peace of mind and to have better coverage for medical coverage. 20K in medical coverage (what Apple offers) is very minimal, even with Medjet Assist.

I didn't know that Apple offered travel coverage.....:confused::D

OMG - What Princess offers......! I was doing some work earlier.

Too funny - thanks for the correction.

How awful. Not only that you were doing work but also that your work should involve Apple in any way. :eek:

If you go to the hospital with chest pains and need bypass surgery right away - you may not be stable to fly across the world to your home hospital

Plus you also have to be someplace where they can reach by one of their jets. No jet accessable runway, no transfer. Can make for an interesting problem in some places such as some Caribbean and south Pacific islands. Since even if you where admitted to a hospital, you would then have to get transferred at your own expense to another hospital close to a jet accessable runway while still being admitted.

Once you turn 75, the price goes way up and you need doctors forms filled out. I didn’t renew once I turned 75. I think there’s a discount with AARP membership. It’s worth getting.

Medjet AARP discount is 10%.

Cost for two people for age 75-84 with the AARP discount for a year is $790. Also, as Pam mentioned, there are medical forms to fill out for this age group.

On one form you list every physician you have seen in the last five years for a variety of ailments from high blood pressure to allergies to arthritis. For each physician named on that form, there is a form the physician must fill out. In addition, you must have had a physical completed in the last 12 months and a form filled out by that doctor.

Completely separate from Princess insurance which will fly you to the nearest major medical center. If that medical center is 3,000 miles from home, they’ll fly you home on a commercial flight. We ran into this when we were told at first that Princess would fly my BIL back to CA but then they said it would only be commercial. He was still in critical condition but stable, and obviously unable to fly commercially. So, they declined to fly him.

Interestingly, I posted on CC what they said and two hours later, called my sister and said they would be happy to make arrangements for a medical jet. By then, it was all arranged with MedJet. They took care of everything, including coordinating with the hospitals on both ends and transfer from hospitals to/from airports. Pretty sure they flew him into SNA even though it was 2am as that was the closest airport to Mission Hospital in Mission Viejo. Not sure and never found out.

Thank you, Pam. I thought this was the insurance you had spoke of. I wonder if I can purchase this from AAA.? I sent an email asking about it. This really sounds like something that I would like to purchase for peace of mind. I really could have used this when I was so ill a few years ago. Thanks again!

I have been wanting the new iPad. Darn, I thought I could order some insurance to go with that :).

If you need bypass surgery right away, the "right away" part precludes flying somewhere else on time long before the question of stability factors in.

Bigger picture, ASK MedJet for coverage that meets your wishes (i.e. coverage for transportation from ER rather than from hospital admission). They might have it, and you could then upgrade to that. Or they might not have it, but the more that people ask for it, the more they'll consider offering it.

I purchased MedJet last year for my husband and I. I usually only buy it if we are traveling outside of the US but since it was good for a year, it covered us while we were in Europe and Hawaii last year and then while we were traveling on a Panama Canal cruise the beginning of this year. Worth it for peace of mind for the evacuation insurance.

I’ve had MedJet Assist off and on since I was in college. Add my name to the list of extremely satisfied customers. My case wasn’t bad enough to be airlifted (just a little Dengue Fever, aka Bonebreak Fever), but I was also way too sick to fly commercial. They coordinated everything and kept in constant contact, even in the pre-cellphone era. When I was well enough to fly, they arranged for a bilingual nurse to accompany me on the intra-Asia segments and had me seen by a Japanese physician of some renown in the field.

The earlier comment about limitations on locations they serve may be outdated; my understanding as a fairly recent member is that it’s truly Anywhere, aside from war zones and sanctioned geographies.

It’s cheap peace of mind.

So for those who have used Med Jet, due you purchase in conjunction with Princess insurance, or Med Jet alone. Thanks, sorry if this questions seems lame.

I have never used MedJet but have purchased it. I purchase it in addition to travel insurance (Allianz). There are so many situations where you need insurance but MedJet doesn't kick in.