Need verification on a ferry and bus question

filosofe

All,

I have been doing some research for our very first trip to bermuda this September.

Our ship will be docking at the Royal Navel Dockyard for an overnight stay. Have an early morning departure the next day so we actually only have one day to tour Bermuda. Anyway, upon arrival at the Dockyard, we would like to take a ferry to St. George. However, I don't see a ferry route from the Dockyard to St. George on the Vistor's Reference Map of Bermuda. Is there a ferry to St. George from the Dockyard??

Once we tour St. George, I would like to ride the bus back to the Dockyard. Do I have the follow routes correct?? It looks like we can take the number 10 or 11 to Hamilton from St. George, then take the Number 7 from Hamilton, stoping at the South Side beaches (Warwick Long Bay and Horseshoe Bay), then onto the Dockyard. Is that correct??

Think this is too much for one day?? Looks like we may be pushing it a little...

Thanks,

Here is the link for the buses.

It is 50 mins from St George to Hamilton, and 62 mins from Hamilton to Dockyards.

http://www.gov.bm/portal/server.pt?space=CommunityPage&control=SetCommunity&CommunityID=252

Here is the link for the ferry, it takes 1 hr from Dockyard to St George- Orange Route. Limited service, from May to November.

http://www.seaexpress.bm/

Filosofe - You'll get some good info here! I was confused about how to get from the Dockyard to the Crystal Caves and the Aquarium (by bus) and now am all straightened out.

We were there last week and the ferry went first from Dockyards to Hamilton, and then on to St. George. There was no direct from Dockyards to St. George that we saw, only via Hamilton.

That's not the route. The Ferry goes from Hamilton to Dockyards and then non-stop to St Georges. It takes an hour. I have done it. Back is also an hour.

Its the orange route

http://www.seaexpress.bm/Orange.html

That's not the route. The Ferry goes from Hamilton to Dockyards and then non-stop to St Georges. It takes an hour. I have done it. Back is also an hour.

Its the orange route

http://www.seaexpress.bm/Orange.html

That's how it reads to me....no-stop from Dockyards to St. Georges..

How about the the bus routes....do I have the following correct???

The number 10 or 11 from St. Georges to Hamilton, then the number 7 to the Dockyards. Want to visit Warwick Long Bay and Horseshoe Bay on the way back to the Dockyards...

All we would like to do is tour St. Georges for maybe an hour...then bus it to Hamilton. Don't want to shop....just want to jump on the number 7, then visit each of the two beaches I mentioned for an hour or so on our way back to the Dockyard. Think it's too much to do in one day???

Thanks again everyone...

LarryF

I'm not doubting that it may have before, but last week it went from Dockyards to Hamilton and then to St. George.

We were given a flyer before we docked regarding ferry schedules and bus routes, and information about the passes, and that schedule is different than what is posted on the website as the 'orange route'.

They also had two other 'older' ferry boats that were running from Dockyards to Hamilton and back only -- they docked directly on the opposite side of the dock from the cruise ship, not where the regular 'fast' newer ferries dock -- a bit of advice would be to walk over to the 'fast', newer catamaran style ferries than take the larger 'older' ferry that is right across from the cruise ship. The newer ferries make the trip to Hamilton in HALF the time of the 'older' ferries.

I'd say don't plan on a direct from Dockyards to St. George, but if there is one when you get there, then hey, it's your lucky day!

We also did the ferry to Hamilton, Bus to Crystal Caves, then Bus to Aquarium/Zoo, then Bus to Horseshoe beach, then taxi back to the ship Bermuda-power-tour-in-a-day. The bus system is good, but you'll have a bunch of time spend on 'waiting for the bus'. While each little 5-10 minute wait doesn't seem like much, after waiting for four or five buses or ferries, it adds up.

Once we tour St. George, I would like to ride the bus back to the Dockyard. Do I have the follow routes correct?? It looks like we can take the number 10 or 11 to Hamilton from St. George, then take the Number 7 from Hamilton, stoping at the South Side beaches (Warwick Long Bay and Horseshoe Bay), then onto the Dockyard. Is that correct??

This is correct. There are other buses that also go to Hamilton from St. Georges (Some of the #1 and #3 buses) so when in St. Georges waiting for a bus just get on the next one that says "Hamilton".

Your itinerary makes for a packed day but I think you can do it - as long as you leave early enough.

Thanks Swizzle....I was waiting to hear from you....

Thanks to everyone else that posted too....appreciate it.

By the way Swizzle...was it hot enough for you in New York last week???

It was WICKED here in New Hampshire....

Larry

By the way Swizzle...was it hot enough for you in New York last week???

It was WICKED here in New Hampshire....

Oddly enough New York was in the mid-high 90s, which made it hotter than Bermuda, which rarely goes above 90 due to being surrounded by the ocean. The humidity was a lot less in NYC though so Bermuda still felt hotter. I was walking around NYC with no trouble but I feel sorry for anyone there who didn't have A/C at night. :cool:

Here is the link for the buses.

It is 50 mins from St George to Hamilton, and 62 mins from Hamilton to Dockyards.

http://www.gov.bm/portal/server.pt?space=CommunityPage&control=SetCommunity&CommunityID=252

Here is the link for the ferry, it takes 1 hr from Dockyard to St George- Orange Route. Limited service, from May to November.

http://www.seaexpress.bm/

I have a Dolphin reservation for my hubby on a Saturday at 10:14am.

Am I right in assuming I take the Hamilton/Dockyard Blue Route and be there for the 9am ferry. We are docked in Hamilton...Thanks for helping

Just some advise..Give your self plenty of time to get to your destinations when using the bus....Bermuda has a "rush " hour and traffic problems just like the states...The transportation service is excellent but getting from point A to point B can take longer than you plan and don’t forget that the bus system is being used by school children also..The bus rides can be a pleasant adventure.

If time is a consideration one might have to bite the bullet and take a cab..Don’t forget cabs charge by the ride so you can split the fare.

Swizzle...can one still change busses at the hospital to avoid Hamilton...we did that many times..

For those of you staying for a short time....just relax and dont try to squeeze too much into one day...

I have a Dolphin reservation for my hubby on a Saturday at 10:14am.

Am I right in assuming I take the Hamilton/Dockyard Blue Route and be there for the 9am ferry. We are docked in Hamilton...Thanks for helping

Yes, I'd try to take the 9:00am blue route. That way if you miss it you can still catch the 9:30 orange route and still get to the Dockyard in time. Both the 9:00 and 9:30 ferries go direct from Hamilton to Dockyard.

We just came back from Bermuda.

The ferry ride from Hamilton to Dockyard was around 17 mins. Very conveniente. We also had a 10:15 reservation and were there with plenty of time

Archived