First cruise

pdcttc

I have just booked my first cruise. can anyone clue me in on things I should know, pitfalls to avoid, and anything else I should know.

Things have not started out well because the guy I booked the cruise through, pretty much stole the sale from the first guy I talked to. He said the other told him to call me.

Any way, I am not sure I can trust him, and I do not have a travel agent (none in this small town I live in.).

So bring it on ---tell me the secrets that will save me other problems.

Congrats on your first cruise! My advice is to search any thread that has to do with your particular ship (which one, btw?) and also visit the Ports of Call boards to get excited about what type of excursions you might want to do... Then go from there.

Good Luck and have fun planning!! :)

Find the roll call section here, find your cruise and join the roll call. There is also a "first time cruisers" section will tons of info. Then, just start reading! There is a TON of info out there, so try not to freak out when you start reading all that info, just take what you personally can use. Definitely make sure before your cruise that you call your credit card company and let them know you will be cruising so they won't see unusual charges and freeze your account. Also, find the ports of call section here and read up on the places your cruise will be stopping at. Google the ship you will be on and start looking at pictures. Find other people who have been on the ship you will be cruising on and check out their pictures. Prepare yourself though, you probably will become addicted to not only cruising but this site as WELL!:D Also, this is easier said than done, but don't overpack!! My mom and i, on our first cruise, a 5 day on Ecstasy, took 3 large suitcases, and we didn't use 3/4 of the stuff we brought!! Pack only what you will need! Good luck, and welcome to Cruise Critic!!:)

Its the Glory, out of Canarveral, in May of 08. I see very little info about this boat here.

Go to www.cruiseclues.com and click on Glory, and there will be tons of pics and info! You might luck out and find an actual picture of your cabin, if you already know the cabin #! www.webshots.com is another site, or just google your keywords in and start searching.

Just a few tips:

Take an extension cord. There is only one (maybe 2) plugs in the cabin.

Make sure you have some one dollar bills for tipping the porters when you give them your luggage.

Always take small bills in port as well for purchasing trinkets so that you don't get a pocket full of local currency back.

Room service is free..but a dollar tip is customary.

You can order anything at dinner that you want. 2 appetizers, 2 entrees etc (just don't be wasteful of course) and if you happen to get an entree that is just not to your taste...let the wait staff know. They will bring you something else.

You can bring your own soda and water on board. They do charge for bottled water and soda on the ship.

Personally, I would recommend that you have a passport. The rules are getting fuzzy on the "actual date" but May 2008 is getting close to the "summer" deadline...and I would not want to take a chance.

You can get expresso and cappucinos in the formal dining room for free. (They cost extra at the Coffee Bar)

I have just booked my first cruise. can anyone clue me in on things I should know, pitfalls to avoid, and anything else I should know.

Things have not started out well because the guy I booked the cruise through, pretty much stole the sale from the first guy I talked to. He said the other told him to call me.

Any way, I am not sure I can trust him, and I do not have a travel agent (none in this small town I live in.).

I see your cruise isn't until May. Are you booked with a PVP? You can always cancel and rebook with the agent you had intended to book with in the first place.

Have fun on your cruise. You're going to love it.:)

Bill

Just a few tips:

Take an extension cord. There is only one (maybe 2) plugs in the cabin.

)

Great tips!! I will add that you should also bring an outlet strip (I know that is not the name of it:o ). If you need to charge cellphones, cameras, video cameras, etc. those 1 or 2 plugs in the cabin aren't enough!:D :eek:

Not a good way to start vacation planning if you're feeling as if you can't trust the person with whom you booked the trip :eek: Did you book directly through Carnival ? Did you book a guarentee room or a specific room ?

As others have said, read through these boards for everything you can find on your ship and ports BUT take what you see with a grain of salt- much about cruising is subjective. And because of many factors, what might be a problem for someone on a ship or in port one week is just fine another week. We always say that the most important things to take on a cruise are our patience, sense of humor, and sense of adventure !!;)

Its the Glory, out of Canarveral, in May of 08. I see very little info about this boat here.

You're kidding, this is ome of the most popular ships in the fleet and Port Canaveral is a great terminal. Are you on the eastern or western itinerary? I've done both are they're terrific. Most important thing, have your documents in order!!!

Archived