Cruise Critic Message Board Forums

Cruise Critic Message Board Forums (https://boards.cruisecritic.com/index.php)
-   Mexican Riviera (https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=203)
-   -   Tour By Van (https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1037357)

gumballz August 7th, 2009 12:25 AM

Tour By Van

Has anyone been on a tour with Rudy from Tour by Van recently? We booked our tour with him but won't be in Acapulco until October. We were wondering what your experience was like.....so we know what to expect. Plus, we're just looking forward to our visit! :)

I'm specifically asking about Tour by Van, not any other tour companies or people in Acapulco. We're already booked with him and are not looking to switch.

Thanks!

Sunny AZ Girl August 7th, 2009 10:54 AM

I would be interested as well. He is on our "list" I am collecting for tour guides when we cruise out of Acapulco in 2011.:cool:

jones391 August 7th, 2009 12:11 PM

Tour Contacts and "Most See Places" in Acapulco???

Please post the e-mail contacts for the different Tours and "Must see places" in Acapulco.

Sunny AZ Girl August 7th, 2009 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gumballz (Post 20701286)
Sunny AZ Girl, I'll definitely post a review about him when I return. I take a lot of pictures too, so I'll try to get some pics that will go along with my review.

Thank you. There is a good chance we will be switching our Sapphire cruise scheduled for April to the Radiance in February if I can get the time off of work. If so, we will be visiting Acapulco at that time, too. I will be contacting him early if that works out. I am sure others have toured with him on this board. Anxious to hear reviews.:)

goldfi8h August 7th, 2009 03:46 PM

Coral Princess - Ft Lauderdale > Acapulco 2009:
REF :- 2 nights stay in Acapulco post cruise:
At first i was apprehensive about booking an independant tour on line ,having first read some reviews and contacting different operaters in Acapulco we ( wife + myself from the UK, + another couple from the USA also CC members ) decided to book a post cruise tour of Acapulco with a company by the name of TOUR BY VAN. I contacted the company by email and corresponded with a gentleman by the name of Rudy Fregoso. He always replied swifty to my questions + concerns and even sent me a copy of his tour operatives licence + insurance. we had transfers from the terminal to our hotel built in our holiday cost with Princess Cruises which we decided not to take as having corresponded with Rudy before leaving the UK we decided to go straight on a tour after disembarking ( not to waste time as we were only in Acapulco for 2 nights ). Rudy assured us that our luggage woul be perfectly safe and that it would be supervised at all times WHICH IT WAS! If we wanted he was prepared to take us to our hotel. True to his word Rudy was waiting for us to disembark at the port, he speaks excellent english and what he doesn`t know about Acapulco probably isn`t worth knowing about. During the tour we stopped for lunch at a typical mexican restaurant ( El Zoritto great food which Rudy recommended ) At no time did he pressure us into anything not even the choice of the restaurant, as he says you decide it`s your tour he will give suggestions if you require but he won`t take you to his friends shop etc ( you know what i mean ! ) The transport he provided was very clean with air con and he also provides compimentary drinks.He took us on a wonderful tour of Acapulco our particular tour lasted approx 7hrs with no hidden or extra costs and you PAY FOR AT THE END OF THE TOUR ,he took us to places we hadn`t discussed in our itinary which we found to be a pleasant and interesting suprise. If you wanted Rudy will tailor make a tour to your requirements.Rudy is very proud of his country and his city Acapulco and is a very informative guide,curtious and can`t do enough for you.I would highly recommend his services and i would definately use his services again no question. In my opinion you cannot go wrong!!!
[email protected]*********.com

gumballz August 7th, 2009 11:45 PM

goldfi8h, thanks for the review. It's always reassuring to hear positive reviews of a company you've booked. I'm glad you had a nice time!

lovepokercruising, thanks for the info.

goldfi8h August 8th, 2009 07:28 AM

gumballz, It`s a pleasure.

gargoyle 999, Thanks very much.

Have a great vacation, regards goldfi8h.

MaiTaiMary August 20th, 2009 06:11 PM

Has anybody else besides goldfi8h been on a tour with this company?

I've seen many posts by goldfi8h speaking very highly of Rudy, but I don't think I've actually found anybody else who has already been on a tour with them.

gumballz August 29th, 2009 01:41 AM

MaiTaiMary, there have been other people posting about using Tour By Van, but some of those threads have been deleted for various reasons. Hopefully they'll see this thread and come back and post their experiences again. :)

CruiserDoc September 29th, 2009 02:53 PM

Tour by Van tours of Acapulco

We have a tour with Rudy from Tour by Van in Acapulco setup for next month. Has anyone had recent experience with Rudy's company? He has been very accomodating with arranging our group. Thanks!

gumballz September 29th, 2009 11:45 PM

Hi CruiserDoc,

I posted something similar recently as well. We have a tour set up with Rudy next month and we're really looking forward to it. When is your tour? Ours isn't until the very end of the month, so you'll probably be back with a review before I am. :)

I can tell you that my experience via emails has been very nice. He's quick to answer my questions and seems to be very friendly!

Have fun and let us know how it went!

CruiserDoc October 3rd, 2009 09:56 AM

We are excited about our upcoming tour with Rudy and Tour by Van! He has been very accomodating for our group. I look forward to our visit to Acapulco, and you can be sure, I will check in after our tour for comments!! Those of us who value Cruise Critic as a resource for our travel needs depend upon accurate, honest & objective, first-hand experience.

cruznbuddies October 3rd, 2009 01:18 PM

Add us to the list

We, too, have a tour booked with Rudy in early December and in our experience, the way to judge a good tour is by the way the tour operator communicates with you prior to the tour. Every time we have booked a private tour like this online and have had the very positive and friendly, accomodating correspondence with the operator such as we've had with Rudy, the tour has turned out to be wonderful.

I'm not worried, and I agree with you, op - Cruiserdoc. Nothing wrong with doing your homework, booking, and then checking with others who have done the tour. Sometimes you have to get something booked or you're out of luck. I'll be watching this thread to see reviews. Like you all have said, it's go and then pay, so what's to lose!?

KenMo October 5th, 2009 03:23 PM

Does anyone one have a website?

Thanks.

gumballz October 5th, 2009 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KenMo (Post 21526125)
Does anyone one have a website?

Thanks.

tour by van dot com

cruznbuddies October 18th, 2009 04:59 PM

Thank you!

Cruisingholly, thanks so much for your review on Rudy and Tour by Van! Really appreciated. Can you tell us more about the ruins? We are using him in Dec. and had thought to do a city tour, but maybe this would be more interesting.

Thanks again. Glad to hear it went well for you.

gumballz October 18th, 2009 08:26 PM

Good to hear

Cruisingholly, thanks for telling us about your experience with Tour by Van! We'll be touring with them next week. We won't be heading out to Tehuacalco, but I'm sure what we have planned will be just as nice. :)

Was it hot & humid when you were there?

goldfi8h October 22nd, 2009 01:09 PM

No need to worry you`ll have a wonderful tour with this company. I agree with the comments made by D&N LUV 2 TRAVEL. Enjoy your vacation have a great time.

cruzinismyname October 23rd, 2009 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gumballz (Post 21757319)
I'll be touring with Rudy from Tour by Van next week! I know there are quite a few people wondering different things about him and/or his tours. Is there anything in particular you'd like me to find out while I'm there? I'm not going to grill the man, but I'll be happy to observe things (within reason, of course).

Gumballz,

Tell Rudy that "Wildrob" will see him in 5 weeks!! Cant wait!! Woohoo!!!

KBondNC October 23rd, 2009 03:58 PM

Our group of 4 toured with Rudy a couple weeks ago (cliff divers, city tour, Shotover Jet boat) and were very pleased. He was extremely flexible, informative, and made sure everyone had a good time. I would definitely recommend him.

Kevin

gumballz October 23rd, 2009 05:26 PM

Wildrob, consider it done! I've made a note & will pass it on!

Kevin, good to hear! Glad you had a good time!

:)

KeywestK October 23rd, 2009 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gumballz (Post 21757319)
I'll be touring with Rudy from Tour by Van next week! I know there are quite a few people wondering different things about him and/or his tours. Is there anything in particular you'd like me to find out while I'm there? I'm not going to grill the man, but I'll be happy to observe things (within reason, of course).

Just have a wonderful time in Acapulco and tell Rudy we're looking forward to see him in March! I'll look for your "review" when you get back. Have a wonderful cruise!!

Karen

gumballz October 23rd, 2009 06:07 PM

We will, Karen. Thanks! (& I'll pass on your hello as well!)

It looks like it's been nice and sunny there.......crossing my fingers that it stays that way.

http://www.aca-novenet.com.mx/camara3.html

Sunny AZ Girl October 24th, 2009 03:35 PM

Unhappily I had to cancel my February cruise which would have taken me to Acapulco where I would have seen Rudy. I was heading up a large group tour there and had to hand it over to someone else. However, I must say Rudy was so gracious and accommodating to me & our group. I am looking forward to meeting him in April of 2011 when I will planning on finally making it to Acapulco!:cool:

paulaann October 31st, 2009 05:14 PM

We just returned from the Millennium and 8 of us took Rudy's tour (*********.com). We had a wonderful day with Rudy. His van is very nice and air conditioned. His English is excellent and he went out of his way to make our day in Acapulco special. I would highly recommend him.

hmsbob November 6th, 2009 07:50 PM

Tour in acapulco with "rudy"tours by van

We have just returned from our 16 day cruise on celebrity to panama. We had a group of 6 people and wanted to try and arrange our own tours. We did not like the idea of being on a bus with several people trying to see the city. I will not go into all the sites we were able to visit, but there was no sitting and waiting for people. We quickly went to many locations ,stops for pictures, and a great insite to the city. We did not just drive by the big hotels, we saw the back streets and how so many of the people live. It was very impacting. We were with miguel, who is a history teacher in high school. He told us so much about this area and took very good are of us. I would reccomend this tour group to everyone. They will provide a comfortable ,very safe, fun tour, and you will want to come back again.

gumballz November 8th, 2009 01:59 PM

Great Tour!

Like most of you know, we toured with Rudy from Tour by Van last week while we were in Acapulco. Let me just start by saying we had a wonderful time! Rudy was right where he told us he would be with a sign that had our names on it. We said our 'hellos' and we were off to his van. The van was a large Ford Econoline type van. It seemed to be newer, however I don't know what year. The seats were in excellent condition, the interior was spotless, the A/C was cold and it was a smooth quiet ride. Because so many people on CC have questions about Tour by Van, I did a little extra looking around so I could let CC people know a little more than I usually write about. I watched his speed while we drove around and he kept it at a very reasonable pace. I didn't notice speed limit signs, so I cannot say whether or not he was within the speed limit, but based on motion, we were within a safe limit. The van had a full tank of gas and the temperature gauge was in a low position. He used his signals and respected all street signs & lights. At no time did he put us at any risk of being in danger.

Rudy went over the places we had asked to see and inquired as to if there was anyplace else we'd like to visit on our tour. As we drove around the city and from place to place, Rudy told us different things about the history of the city and pointed out historical landmarks. We stopped at a few and drove by a few. The tour was exactly what we had asked for. He didn't try to get us to go shopping, stop at anyone's house, eat at anyone's restaurant, etc. He had a full cooler of cold soft drinks & water (we didn't want beer, but the offer was there) and he asked a few times if we wanted to stop for a bathroom break.

Rudy himself was very pleasant. He speaks English very well and his accent is fun to listen to. It's not so strong that we had trouble understanding him, though. He was extremely respectful towards literally everyone he saw. He opened doors for us and took photos of us with our cameras. The photos turned out great! We felt safe the whole time we were with him and would not hesitate to book with his company again. I rate his tour a 10 out of 10. I have nothing bad or negative to say about it at all........except maybe that we wish we could have stayed a few days instead of only a few hours! :)

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Here's a pic of the van we toured in. It was clean and in good condition.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u...ruise/van1.jpg

Rudy talking & pointing things out as we drive to our next destination.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u...ruise/van3.jpg

Rudy at Los Flamingos, you can see that he wears his license around his neck (and I looked.....it's not expired).

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u...ruise/van2.jpg

gumballz November 8th, 2009 02:04 PM

For those of you interested, I just posted a review about Tour by Van on another thread. I couldn't post it on this one, since I started the thread. I needed to follow CC rules in order to keep it on the boards. :)

The thread the review is under is titled: 'Tour by Van tours of Acapulco'

KeywestK November 8th, 2009 03:03 PM

GUMBALLZ.....Thank you so much for posting your review of the tour with Rudy in Acapulco. I was already feeling really good about booking with him for our trip there in March, but after reading your excellent review, I am even more excited. This is exactly what we wanted and I know we'll have a great time on our tour of ACA w/Rudy. Thanks again for taking the time to post back about it, and I hope all of your cruise was excellent!

Karen

Sunny AZ Girl November 8th, 2009 05:10 PM

Thank you for the review, gumbalz. I am looking forward to seeing him in 2011. I just wish we didn't have to wait so long!:D

gumballz November 8th, 2009 07:23 PM

You're very welcome. :)

Wildrob & Karen, I passed on your messages to Rudy.....and gave him little post it notes with the messages as well. He was happy to 'hear' from you both and said he's looking forward to meeting you.

Sunny AZ, I'm sad for you that you have to wait so long......but, at least you have something else to look forward to. A great tour in a city full of history!

cruzinismyname November 8th, 2009 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gumballz (Post 21959756)

Wildrob & Karen, I passed on your messages to Rudy.....and gave him little post it notes with the messages as well. He was happy to 'hear' from you both and said he's looking forward to meeting you.

Sunny AZ, I'm sad for you that you have to wait so long......but, at least you have something else to look forward to. A great tour in a city full of history!

gumballz,

Thank you for relaying the messages for us, and for the report back about your tour. Now I am so pumped for our trip. Unlike Sunny AZ, i will see him in 3 weeks!! I will also post my experience here when our group of 18 gets back.

Robert

Sunny AZ Girl November 8th, 2009 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cruzinismyname (Post 21961736)
gumballz,

Thank you for relaying the messages for us, and for the report back about your tour. Now I am so pumped for our trip. Unlike Sunny AZ, i will see him in 3 weeks!! I will also post my experience here when our group of 18 gets back.

Robert

OK - quit rubbing it in!!!! I was scheduled to go on his tour in February, but had to switch cruises.:( So it's 2011 for us now!

gargoyle999 November 8th, 2009 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gumballz (Post 21955983)
Like most of you know, we toured with Rudy from Tour by Van last week while we were in Acapulco.

Thanks for the review! We'll be using them 3 weeks from Monday! :) Though we won't be with Rudy, it will be one of his partners. I'll be posting how that goes although I expect we'll have a great time.

I have a couple questions. About how long did the tour last and was there an extra charge for the drinks?

Eddiesmom November 9th, 2009 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gumballz (Post 21959756)

!

Much Thanks Gumballz, great details of your time with Rudy. I will be with him in February with the big group that Sunny AZ Girl (Ginny) was doing. Sorry Ginny that you are not able to come with us!

cruzinismyname November 9th, 2009 08:51 PM

[quote=gargoyle999;21962306] Though we won't be with Rudy, it will be one of his partners.

Gargoyle999, It looks like we are on the same cruise. Rudy will be with us as well as another one of his guys as we will have 18 people.

Robert

cruzinismyname November 9th, 2009 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunny AZ Girl (Post 21962066)
OK - quit rubbing it in!!!! I was scheduled to go on his tour in February, but had to switch cruises.:( So it's 2011 for us now!

Sorry Ginny, didnt mean to rub it in:(. Although I am very happy its me going soon!:D Hey, 2011 is just around the corner!! :eek:

Robert

gargoyle999 November 9th, 2009 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cruzinismyname (Post 21972586)
Gargoyle999, It looks like we are on the same cruise. Rudy will be with us as well as another one of his guys as we will have 18 people.

18 more days! :D

vaughnej2002 November 9th, 2009 11:25 PM

Thank you everyone for posting what you have experienced with Rudy. I am in the process of booking a trip with him on 6 January. I am so excited and can't wait. Unfortunetely Rudy is booked with another tour so we will be getting another one of his drivers, but I am sure we will have the same success as the rest of you. 58 days and counting. :D

splummer November 10th, 2009 02:59 PM

For anyone with concerns, I just arranged a tour of Acapulco for 6 of us last week while we were in port and Rudy was absolutely as good as promised. If only there were a "Rudy" in all ports. He was on time, his van was in great condition and I feel like I learned more from him than I would have seen in 4 or 5 tours with someone else. He provided drinks, and truly was open to adapting the tour to what we wanted to see and do. I couldn't have been happier. His in person communication is every bit as good and thorough as his emails - I can say I wholeheartedly recommend him.

gumballz November 10th, 2009 03:03 PM

I'm sorry I haven't replied sooner to your question, gargoyle999! The drinks were included in the tour. He had a cooler in the van. We could get in and get a drink whenever we wanted.....and he offered to get us a drink several times. It was very hot and humid the day we were there, and I think he was concerned that we were going to over heat. lol He wasn't pushy.....just making sure we were comfortable.

Our tour lasted about 6 hours, I believe. Our ship was a little late arriving and we were delayed, for a bit, in leaving the ship. Rudy was standing there with our sign just waiting patiently with a smile. :)

We didn't meet any of Rudy's other guides, but I cannot imagine them being anything but professional and nice. I don't think Rudy would allow anything less.

Be sure to take a camera with you on your tour. Acapulco is a very busy city with a lot of interesting sights! It's also very green and lush in a lot of places. Being from Arizona, we especially liked that! lol

splummer November 10th, 2009 03:23 PM

I did a tour for 6 of us with Rudy last week on the Coral Princess - and I couldn't have been happier. He is as knowledgeable and helpful as they come - if only I could find a "rudy" in every port. Here's an important thing - he does not include any shopping on his tour unless you specifically request it - so unlike many other tour guides who are getting paid to make you go to their jewelry store, Rudy just sticks to showing you the sites, and helping you get to know Acapulco better. He clearly loves his city and wants to acquaint you with it too - showing you far more than most tours ever will. He will accommodate your requests and was more than willing to answer questions and spend time where we wanted to. His van is equipped with a microphone so that even people in the back seat could easily hear what he had to say. The van is in good shape and well maintained. Rudy is a gem!

Sue

gargoyle999 November 10th, 2009 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gumballz (Post 21980765)
I'm sorry I haven't replied sooner to your question, gargoyle999!

Thanks for that info! I've never been to Acapulco before so I'm really looking forward to our visit. :)

cruisinlawn November 10th, 2009 10:49 PM

Rudy is not personally available on the day we'll be in but does have other drivers available. Is the one in particular we should ask for?

Also, flight gets in around 1p, ship departs at 8p. We're going to take a short, quick tour with them enroute for airport to cruiseport. I don't think the divers will be diving during this time. Anyone have any other info on them? Thanks.

Margarita Jane November 12th, 2009 01:08 PM

Toured with Rudy on 11/3/09

We just returned from our cruise and spent a day touring Acapulco with Rudy. It was arranged by someone else on our roll call. We really enjoyed the day, and Rudy was great. He was flexible, willing to make changes on the fly to accomodate our group. There were 6 of us in his van, and he used a microphone, so even though we were sitting in the back, we could hear his comments very well. We were looking forward to enjoying some authentic Mexican food, but the 4 others decided to go back to the ship. We asked Rudy to recommend a restaurant within walking distance to the ship and he dropped us off at Las Canasta. He brought us into the restaurant, and told the staff what type of food we were looking for - Rudy's recommendation was "Filete a la Tampiquena" which is a taco, enchilada, guacamole, beans, rice and steak. My DH decided to have 3 tacos - one chicken, one beef and one pork. The food was good, the staff was friendly, the beer was cold, and we didn't get the "Mexican trots".

You will enjoy your day with Rudy. Do not hesitate to use him.

gargoyle999 November 12th, 2009 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margarita Jane (Post 22002513)
You will enjoy your day with Rudy. Do not hesitate to use him.

It's good to see another positive posting about Rudy! :)

paul914 November 14th, 2009 07:36 PM

Acapulco with Rudy --10/26/09

We had a delightful tour with Rudy on our call in Acapulco. Rudy is a true gentleman and showed us many "arias" (aka areas) of his city. Rudy is knowledgable not only of his city, but of events happening in the world. He speaks English very well, and enjoyed chatting about a variety of subjects. We felt very comfortable and safe during the tour. He does everything to earn your trust, and is committed to making sure your tour exceeds your expectations. (Deb and I enjoyed the cervezas that were provided during the tour.) We had a memorable day in Acapulco. Gracius Rudy for sharing your city with us!!

gargoyle999 November 14th, 2009 11:35 PM

Since will will be on our tour Nov 30th I did a final confirmation with him that we are all set. I also sent Rudy a link to this thread to let him know of the positive comments recent guests were posting. He was very appreciative! :)

CarRan November 15th, 2009 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gargoyle999 (Post 22030526)
Since will will be on our tour Nov 30th I did a final confirmation with him that we are all set. I also sent Rudy a link to this thread to let him know of the positive comments recent guests were posting. He was very appreciative! :)

LOL

I think Rudy knew about this link already. He referred me to it in an email last week so I could see the positive comments recent guests were posting. :D

BTW, we booked him for our visit.

xcrunch November 15th, 2009 10:54 AM

I am also arranging a tour with Rudy on Jan 6th (maybe Vaughnej2002 we should get together as I think you are on the same cruise the Journey), and based on what everyone has said has made it effortless. Thanks everyone

gargoyle999 November 15th, 2009 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarRan (Post 22031297)
I think Rudy knew about this link already. He referred me to it in an email last week so I could see the positive comments recent guests were posting. :D

Yeah..he probably does keep any eye on it. He sent me a link to another CC thread when I first inquired about a tour. I think it's good he is aware of a site like this. Positive comments will bring in the $$$ and (legitimate) negative comments will cause it to go elsewhere!

DonahCBrown November 16th, 2009 04:00 PM

I'll add my two cents worth here as well. As everyone else has said, Rudy not only gave us a great tour - everything as advertised from pick up to drop off - but also is without doubt the most honest and trustworthy person I've run into in a long time. My husband left a small but very pricey bit of camera gear in the van. We didn't miss it until we had returned to the ship, weren't really sure where it had gone missing, and Rudy and the van were long gone.

I called him on his cell phone, he immediately went and checked the seat and found the item - while we were still on the phone with him - and arranged to come all the way back to the pier and meet us to get it back to us before the ship sailed. I know he was at least 30 or 45 minutes away from the pier at that point, since that's how long it took him to get back to us, and he didn't want to take the tip I gave him to cover his time and gas! How great is that! (I insisted, of course and finally he did take it, under protest) So, go with Rudy!! He's a terrific guide and an all around great guy, and give him our best, too.

gumballz November 16th, 2009 04:27 PM

I'm so glad to see that others are enjoying his services as well! Everyone seems to be saying the same things that I experienced with him. That's a good sign of a great tour company/guide!

Donna, how nice! I'm glad you got your camera gear back. It doesn't surprise me that he drove all that way back just to return it. He came across as that type of person.

Something that happened on our tour, that I didn't mention......mostly because I had forgotten about it until now.....is that my DD got a little car sick on a windy road. Rudy was very concerned about her and offered to stop for anything she might need......even if it was just fresh air. When we returned from our trip, there was an email waiting for us, asking how she was feeling.

It may seem trivial.....but I appreciated the thought. It shows that he's a caring person. Add that with all the other things that have been mentioned....and you've got yourself a pretty good option for your visit to Acapulco!

DonahCBrown November 16th, 2009 04:35 PM

As someone earlier said - I wish there were a Rudy in every port! We've been pretty lucky over the years with private tours, but Rudy is truly outstanding and I certainly will call on him again any time we are back in Acapulco, and heartily recommend him to anyone visiting there.

gargoyle999 November 16th, 2009 09:52 PM

2 weeks from today I'll have the pleasure of meeting him! :D:D

DonahCBrown November 17th, 2009 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gargoyle999 (Post 22051889)
2 weeks from today I'll have the pleasure of meeting him! :D:D

Please tell him "Hi" from Dennis and Donna from Hawaii!! Enjoy your day - I'm sure it will be great.

samben November 17th, 2009 12:17 PM

Has anyone done the Shot Overjet and Rapid tour with him???

AKB10 November 17th, 2009 09:11 PM

Thanks for all of the reviews of Rudy and Tour by van. We are looking forward to our turn in Feb.

itsanita November 18th, 2009 11:49 AM

We are a group of 4, and it sounds like we would like a tour with Rudy.

Does Rudy make all the arangements before you get there? Does he give suggestions as to what is avaliable?

gargoyle999 November 18th, 2009 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itsanita (Post 22069157)
Does Rudy make all the arangements before you get there? Does he give suggestions as to what is avaliable?

Yes and Yes. :)

he sent me a nice long email reply to my initial inquiry to see if they were available for the day I would be there. I'm sure if there was someplace else you wanted to go he would. Seems to be very customizable to what you want to do. Here is what he suggested:

1. - La Quebrada and the Divers, above all and at the very first place, what you can call a must!

2. - Non denominational Chapel of Peace and the Cross of Trouyet, best view to the bay area, surrounded by beautiful residences at the very pricey “Las Brisas” residential area.

3. - The “other” bay Puerto *******, smaller than the Bay of Acapulco but 8 times nicer as well, we only stop for pictures for a few minutes over there!

4. - The Los Flamingos Hotel, Once own by John Wayne and Johnny Weissmuller amongst other movie actors. We see the casa Tarzan where Weissmuller lived the last 20 years of his life.

5. - Hotel Casa Blanca, We only stop there for pictures. Great panoramic view of the Bay area and….. To the Cruise Ship!!!!!

6. - Diego Rivera´s mosaic mural, made by the most important painter of Mexico, married with the controversial painter Frida Kahlo, A short stop to take pictures, that will be all!

7. - El Mercado Municipal, is what I call a truly Eye Opener! So different to what you and your party have seen. But I warn you, it can be sort of Cultural Shocking for very many people! I recommend it very highly any way!

8. - El Zorrito restaurant (only suggested) or any other place you wish to go having lunch!
(the cost of Lunch in Zorrito is approximately $10.00 to $15.00 USD)

9. - El Zócalo & Cathedral, The Downtown area Main Square and Cathedral, oldest part of town and the most typical part of it, we may stop there for 20-30 minutes or not, always up to you!!

sw1002 November 18th, 2009 01:40 PM

We had a magnificent tour with rudy at the end of september while staying in Acapulco. We came late into the port and rudy managed to be the first one at the divers and even showed us a better viewing place than the other guys do. Despite the fact that we had only 3 hours instead of 5 he managed to show us all the beautiful secret gems of acapulco and showed us also where the normal and poor guys live. The tour was very impressive and rudy managed to get us back to the ship earlier than other buses from princess shore excursions. The bus he has is really good, everyone of us got a special gift and we had plenty of drinks in the cars´ cooler.
In general: if You are in Acapulco ... go for rudy ! You won´t be sorry about it!

DonahCBrown November 18th, 2009 02:34 PM

Gargoyle has posted Rudy's 'regular' tour, but he is happy to add or change anything that you want - for our group he also suggested a stop at the fort (which you are anchored directly across from) - we had done that on a previous trip, so didn't, but it is interesting and worth a visit if you haven't been already. The Mercado is a 'drive by' - which, frankly, is fine - we walked it once (another trip) and it wasn't a place I'd particularly want to return.

The Diego Rivera mural is well worth the stop, the cliff divers are an Acapulco must, and we really enjoyed the Hotel Flamingo and Tarzan's house even in the rain.

If you research a bit and find other things that you are interested in seeing, I'm certain Rudy will be happy to give you any information you need and let you know if it is feasible to work into your tour and time allotment. One of the best things about this tour is that because it is by van, you aren't restricted to the main roads and Rudy drives you through all kinds of secondary streets and roads so you also get a good sense of the actual community and not just the 'made for the tourists' parts of town. The non-denominational chapel is lovely, and the views from there are spectacular, BTW.

Eddiesmom November 18th, 2009 03:22 PM

I will be using Rudy's Tour By Van in February and touring the recommended places but wanted to ask those of you who have gone with Rudy recently if there is a shopping area to pickup up souveniers while on the tour or someplace close to the port that I could stop before getting on the ship.

cheggy November 18th, 2009 10:05 PM

What is the price range for these yours? Do not need exact amounts just ballpark figure compared to ship prices maybe.

gargoyle999 November 18th, 2009 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheggy (Post 22076973)
What is the price range for these yours? Do not need exact amounts just ballpark figure compared to ship prices maybe.

Here is what Rudy told us for the stops I listed above. He does include drinks in the van as well. Lunch stop is extra:

$75/pp for 2
$50/pp for 4-6
$35/pp for 7-10

cheggy November 18th, 2009 10:48 PM

Thanks for the info. That sounds resonable. Was that 3 hours or about?

DonahCBrown November 18th, 2009 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddiesmom (Post 22071766)
I will be using Rudy's Tour By Van in February and touring the recommended places but wanted to ask those of you who have gone with Rudy recently if there is a shopping area to pickup up souveniers while on the tour or someplace close to the port that I could stop before getting on the ship.

There are stalls set up in a building right at pier side. Can't miss it. Seems like there also might have been a gift shop in the fort, but I could be wrong about that. There's definitely a gift shop at the hotel where the cliff divers are. Rudy will also gladly assist with whatever your shopping needs are - he found one of our group a pharmacy and helped work through the purchase process for some prescription (here) type drugs she was looking for. He'll make sure you find whatever your interests are - just let him know what you are looking for.

gargoyle999 November 18th, 2009 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheggy (Post 22077524)
Thanks for the info. That sounds resonable. Was that 3 hours or about?

It is supposed to be about 6 hours. This is what gumballz reported as well who just had a tour with Rudy.

Eddiesmom November 20th, 2009 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonahCBrown (Post 22077857)
There are stalls set up in a building right at pier side. Can't miss it. Seems like there also might have been a gift shop in the fort, but I could be wrong about that. There's definitely a gift shop at the hotel where the cliff divers are. Rudy will also gladly assist with whatever your shopping needs are - he found one of our group a pharmacy and helped work through the purchase process for some prescription (here) type drugs she was looking for. He'll make sure you find whatever your interests are - just let him know what you are looking for.

Thanks for your quick response:)

suncitygirl November 24th, 2009 02:36 PM

Tours by Rudy

My friends and I have just returned from a tour of Acapulco with Rudy. I can recommend him at the highest level. He was there on time; he speaks good English so you can understand him; his van is comfortable; he took us to places that were interesting; and he was very knowledgeable. Please use his service with full confidence at having a great tour.

Sunny AZ Girl November 24th, 2009 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suncitygirl (Post 22137109)
My friends and I have just returned from a tour of Acapulco with Rudy. I can recommend him at the highest level. He was there on time; he speaks good English so you can understand him; his van is comfortable; he took us to places that were interesting; and he was very knowledgeable. Please use his service with full confidence at having a great tour.

Thank you for the review and welcome to Cruise Critic!

Click on the link in my signature to visit the AZ Cruiser's Thread! We talk about everything, but we all love to cruise.:)

gumballz November 25th, 2009 09:52 PM

Our tour was right around 6 hours, yes. And, like others have said, Rudy will take you where you want to go. Discuss your options with him via email before you get there......and then he'll go over them again at the beginning of the tour.

There is a little shopping area at the pier that you have to go through to get out into Acapulco. Not many stores, but what is in there is touristy stuff. T-shirts, key chains, pottery, sombreros, etc. There was also some food......little things packaged up, nothing special. I believe there was beer for sale (to consume there), but I'm not 100% sure about that. I think there was also a jewelry store and another store that sold wood carvings. Again, I'm not absolutely sure on that.

Outside of this little indoor shopping area, and past the parking lot towards the water, there were vendors set up with stuff. We only drove by them, but they were most definitely there.

If you let Rudy know that you'd like to stop for some shopping, I'm sure he would be happy to take you someplace safe. Just let him know what you're interested in.

For those of you interested in the Mercado......we went and it was definitely something we enjoyed. We like 'different' though....so keep in mind that it may not be for everyone. There are some smells in there that you might not enjoy, it's crowded with goods (not really people, though), there are a lot of things to see, the prices are crazy low, the people are friendly. Rudy was with us at all times and we never felt like we were in risk of danger at all. Rudy almost seemed to enjoy watching us as much as we enjoyed looking at everything around us. lol If you're interested in less 'tourist' and more 'authentic'....then see if Rudy can add a trip to the Mercado to your tour.

Like I've said - you really can't go wrong with Rudy. He's a top notch guide who really knows what he's doing. His brain has information about everything and he knows his way around the city. He seemed to know people everywhere we went and something that impressed us was how polite he was. A gentleman in every sense. :)

gargoyle999 November 25th, 2009 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gumballz (Post 22152407)
For those of you interested in the Mercado......we went and it was definitely something we enjoyed. We like 'different' though....so keep in mind that it may not be for everyone.

We must like different too! :) We enjoyed the Mercado in Mazatlan (DW who is the cook thought it was awesome) and a stop there will be part of our trip on Monday!

gumballz November 27th, 2009 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gargoyle999 (Post 22153253)
We must like different too! :) We enjoyed the Mercado in Mazatlan (DW who is the cook thought it was awesome) and a stop there will be part of our trip on Monday!

Be sure to go through the area with the fresh flowers. It smells wonderful! :)

Have fun & say hello to Rudy for me!

JesMil November 28th, 2009 09:35 AM

With Rudy in December

We will be booking with Rudy in December, but he, himself, will not be available. From reading these posts, I am hopeful that we will get a tour guides that is as competent as Rudy. As I understand it, we pay for the tour upon the tour's completion. Does Rudy take credit cards? I love the idea of the Mercado, we will be requesting that. Any other suggestions on that line? Thanks for the anticipated responses.

DonahCBrown November 28th, 2009 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JesMil (Post 22170652)
We will be booking with Rudy in December, but he, himself, will not be available. From reading these posts, I am hopeful that we will get a tour guides that is as competent as Rudy. As I understand it, we pay for the tour upon the tour's completion. Does Rudy take credit cards? I love the idea of the Mercado, we will be requesting that. Any other suggestions on that line? Thanks for the anticipated responses.

We paid in cash, in USD - I don't recall if Rudy indicated he did or didn't accept credit cards, though. The Mercado is an experience!! I think it would be okay going with Rudy, actually - we did it on our own a few years back and were absolutely hounded by the vendors and beggars - not much fun.

We generally love going to the local markets though, and have done a number of other places in Mexico and elsewhere in the world with no problems - just maintain an awareness of your surroundings and a good hand on your belongings.

gumballz November 29th, 2009 02:53 PM

While we were in the Mercado with Rudy, not once did anyone approach us trying to sell us anything. The Mercado is more of a place where locals shop, so they don't normally do that there. You shouldn't have a problem with anyone trying to sell you something while you're there. If you want to purchase something, they'll be happy to take your money (of course).....but no pressure. :) At least that was our experience. Yours could differ.

I believe Rudy only takes cash, but I'm not positive about that. It would be best for you to ask him. Just send off an email. He's always quick to reply.

JesMil, you might enjoy the 'Zocalo'. Basically, it's their central square. There are vendors there (none approached us, they stayed in their stalls/buildings), a fountain, gazebo, beautiful green trees, a lot of people, and the city's Roman Catholic Cathedral. We walked around, took some wonderful photos (and Rudy took some of us), listened to Rudy tell us some history of the area and about the different events that happen in the square, etc. Just a suggestion.

bondgirl007 November 29th, 2009 04:19 PM

Sharing a tour

Hi justlookingga,
How do you decide what itinerary to follow if you are put together with people you don't know? Does Rudy take the info you give him ahead of time and try to match you with similar minded people? Thanks

tinkerbella November 29th, 2009 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JesMil (Post 22170652)

We just returned from our Thanksgiving cruise and also used Tours by Van. I found tours by Van on cruise critic so I just want to give back to the online communty and let others just know what a great tour we had with one of Rudy's alternative guides. Rudy told us ahead of time he was already booked that day but had a trusted associate available. He arranged our tour with a lovely lady named Melu'. She was the most gracious perfect tour guide we have ever used. Infact she has set the bar very high for any future tour guides we may hire. Melu' is a school teacher Mon- Fri. She speaks perfect English. If you are lucky and arrive in Acacpulco on Sunday like we did, maybe Rudy can arrange for your group to have her. Our group ranged in age from 14 years old to 78 yrs. She really had mass appeal and was a wealth of knowledge. I really feel as if she showed us everything Acapulco had to offer and then some. My mother in law was not able to walk down the steps to view the Cliffs divers so she arranged a perfect balcony seat for her. After showing us the best viewing /picture areas she returned to sit with my mother in law and kept her company during the show. Feel free to email me if you have specific questions regarding our tour while the trip is still fresh in my head. Because of Rudy and Melu' our day in Acapulco was Numero Uno !!!!

JesMil November 29th, 2009 09:34 PM

Thanks you two

Thanks Tinkerbella, that makes me feel good that Rudy's other guides are "up to par." Gumballz, thanks for the other ideas, we will take your advice!

kilraine December 3rd, 2009 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gumballz (Post 20697094)
Has anyone been on a tour with Rudy from Tour by Van recently? We booked our tour with him but won't be in Acapulco until October. We were wondering what your experience was like.....so we know what to expect. Plus, we're just looking forward to our visit! :)

I'm specifically asking about Tour by Van, not any other tour companies or people in Acapulco. We're already booked with him and are not looking to switch.

Thanks!

Just come back from Acapulco we had the Tour by Van Rudy did meet us but our driver was Jose he was brilliant.We saw just about everything the back streets the posh bit as well and the shopping was not on the agenda unless we asked for it. We can highly recommend them -- cold drinks included.

melsal December 4th, 2009 09:01 PM

11/14/09 experience with Tour by Van

A group of 10 family members used Tour by Van for our tour of Acapulco on 11/14/09. All of us had a wonderful time with Rudy. He took us to a shopping area for locals, Chapel of Peace, Diego Riveria's mural, the Zocalo and Cathedral, Hotel Casa Blanco and of course the cliff divers. Shopped briefly at HRC and Senor Frogs. There was a slight problem with the A/C in the van. Rudy apologized profusely. He gave us a choice to go back to the pier and he would not charge us for the half day or that he could get another van in about 30 minutes. Senor Frogs was close by and we opted to have drinks and appetizers while Rudy dealt with getting another van. We hadn't even gotten our food by the time Rudy said he had another van. After finishing at Senor Frogs, we continued the wonderful tour. Rudy was very knowledge and accomodating. A great time was had by all.

I am planning to book another tour with Rudy while in Acapulco during the Panama Canal cruise.

cruzinismyname December 13th, 2009 01:13 PM

As promised here on CC, I am writing my review about Rudy and Jose at Tour By Van. My group of 19, mostly 16-20 year olds and 5 adults, went in 2 very comfortable vans. 6 months ago I requested to Rudy that we wanted to go see the divers, go to a beach with big waves and a very authentic restaurant away from the city. Rudy responded immediately, gave me his ideas and told me a very good price.

Rudy and Jose were waiting for us at the pier as promised, about 12:30 pm and immediately took a picture of our group with the Spirit in the background. We went over the itinerary and off we went. Rudy was very informative and wanted to make us happy. Off we went to Revolcadera beach about 15 miles south of Acapulco. We made some stops along the way that Rudy suggested and took photos. Rudy had some water and soda on ice and I requested some beer too. We ran into a traffic accident and was held up for probably 30-45 mins. But no problem, Rudy and Jose talked about their city while we drank our refreshments. Rudy and Jose kept in contact using 2 way radios or phones ( cant remember). I was in the lead van with Rudy when he tells me that Jose had to make an emergency potty break for the kids! I am sure they appreciated that.

We got to a restaurant called Beto Godoy where we had amazing red snapper cooked over an open grill that had fabulous spices and seasonings.
Before we ate, Rudy led us over towards the beach and brought some chairs and tables and our cooler for us. Some of us went into the ocean and played, some stayed and drank and enjoyed the late afternoon sunset. It really was a beautiful place to be with the sun going down. Absolutely no one around except a few locals. After eating dinner, some of us went over to the restrooms and showered off and some changed into different clothes.

We drove back to the city and stopped off at Senor Frogs, which we wanted to do. We had a couple of drinks and some aps and watched the kids totally enjoying themselves. After an hour or so we had to leave to catch the 10:30 dive show. What an amazing thing to watch!

Rudy and Jose got us back to the ship in plenty of time before our 1 am departure. The kids told me later that Jose was the "coolest dude" being their driver. Rudy was everything he said he would be and more. My group was so happy with me for choosing him.

I will try to post some pictures when I can figure out how to do it.

Robert

cruzinismyname December 13th, 2009 02:37 PM

pictures from our trip

5 Attachment(s)
This is the delicious red snapper we had for dinner
Attachment 140564

Where we hung out at Revolcadero Beach before eating
Attachment 140563

Attachment 140562

Beto Godoy Restaurant
Attachment 140565

This was taken as soon as we got off the ship. Rudy is front row 3rd from left
Attachment 140561

Click on pic to enlarge them

PamelaRic December 16th, 2009 02:59 PM

Hi - I'm the one (Jen's friend) who had the problem in Acapulco with Rudy's driver. Everything Jen has said is true. I contacted Rudy early on and he said there were enough for the tour to be $40 each. Seemed reasonable for a full day. He said he was booked and would send us a great tour guide. I was surprised when the guide told us it was just us three ladies for the tour. Our trip was great and we enjoyed the day. I was also surprised at the cliff divers when he told we would have to buy our own tickets as I thought the price was included. It was very hectic with people pushing, shoving, yelling, etc. and I didn't want to stand there and argue with him. The tickets did, however, entitle us to two drinks. We did buy our guide's lunch later, as we thought this would be a nice gesture. When we got back to the ship, the guide told us the price was $50 each. He told us this while we were double parked in the busy street with horns honking at us. He mumbled something about taking an hour longer and there only being three of us. I really couldn't hear him too well above the honking. We just shoved money at him an ran. While the tour itself was very good, it was not worth $65 when others were paying $30 and $35 for the same experiences. I will definitely be smarter next time. This is my experience only and may not be the experience of anyone else or any one in the future. Merely stating the facts as they happened.
Pamela
Tucson

gargoyle999 December 17th, 2009 01:10 PM

We had our tour with Tours by Van in Acapulco a couple week ago. We were met right where we expected by Hector. This is one of the drivers that works for Rudy. I knew ahead of time that Rudy was booked and we would be with one of his other drivers.

Hector took us to the car, which was a 4 door sedan as we were doing a private tour with just DW and myself. The car was in good shape and most importantly had working A/C! It was hot and humid when we visited.

Hector spoke good English and was very professional. It was quite interesting how everyone drives there. DW liked to say that stop signs, lane lines and speed limits are merely suggestions..ha ha. But Hector was one of the slower drivers and we never felt unsafe while he was driving. I was glad we were just in a smaller sedan as there were some tight squeezes getting through traffic in some spots.

We had several stops for pictures. Also went to the church with the large cross, Casa Tarzan, saw some richer areas and where the average working people live. Even went by Rudy's house for some pictures of the nice view!

We went to lunch at El Zorrito. The food was very good. I did get hit up for a tip by a musician while eating. Told him maybe when I was done eating. But he was gone when we left. And a vendor or two. Guess they are all over.

And we finished the tour with the cliff divers. I got up as close as I could as there were not a lot of people there when we first arrived. It was interesting to watch the divers climb down the rocks on the one side swim across and climb up the rocks to the side they dive from. But as far as watching the dives themselves I would advise you actually stay further back if you want pictures. I was actually too close to get a good picture of them mid dive.

Overall, we had an enjoyable tour and I feel we were able to see a lot of of Acapulco. From the richer to the poorer areas, some of the hotels in the area, and most of the main tourists stops.

I would suggest if there is someplace you really want to go to make it very clear upfront with Rudy and when meeting the driver if not Rudy. We expected to see Diego Rivera's mural and the El Mercado Municipal based on the email from Rudy outlining the things we could do during the tour. But we didn't see either one, so DW was a bit disappointed.

I think Hector thought we wouldn't want to go the the Mercado since as we drove by it he told us that even he doesn't go there, he goes to Walmart! ha ha..

And the mural never was mentioned during our tour. So I think if we would have said we really wanted to go to those spots it wouldn't have been an issue. But by the time we realized it wasn't going to happen it was too late.

Rudy called us twice during our tour and asked to talk to me, just to see how things were going so that was nice. The total time for the tour was about 7 hours and we paid $150 for the two of us not including the tip we gave Hector.

I would certainly recommend Tours by Van in Acapulco. Rudy was excellent with his communication before our trip and I felt we have a very good tour of Acapulco even though our driver wasn't Rudy. Just be clear on any stops that are "must do's" during your time there. :)

gargoyle999 December 17th, 2009 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJ2sail (Post 22346071)
I also think the tour should include the price of the divers, which it did not, they paid an additional $13 each to see the divers.

This is a good point. At one point during our tour Hector mentioned something about paying to see the divers. But when we got there he talked to someone for about 10 seconds and we got in without paying extra. Rudy was clear before hand that lunch would be extra. Any additional cost for the divers should also be mentioned upfront.

gargoyle999 December 17th, 2009 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blues4.1man (Post 22357916)
I figure because he changes his prices to get the highest amount he can.

Isn't that one of the founding principles of capitalism? :rolleyes:

Now if you send him an email and say I have a group of 60 people, how much will the cost be and how will you accommodate us, then I agree you should get a specific answer to your question.

gumballz December 17th, 2009 10:25 PM

Wow, this has gotten way out of hand. There are a lot of comments being thrown out there that are based on speculation. The bottom line is that the person that had a problem with the tour they booked should have contacted the tour guide themselves and tried to get things settled in a matter that was suitable for them......instead of having a 3rd party come on a public forum and speak poorly of a service that they didn't even partake in.

After they had spoken to the guide and had their 'issue' resolved (or not, whichever the case may be), then they could have come on here themselves and posted their experience. Obviously we want to hear the good and the bad......so we can make informed decisions when booking independent companies.

I agree with the person that said we should only comment on the tour guides that we've had experience with. We can't give an honest review if we haven't had experience with them. I don't agree with people assuming this or that, without having firsthand knowledge of the situation.

Why don't we just let the two parties involved take care of their problem and let things calm down? Let's try to keep this thread on topic.......which is about Tour By Van. Good or bad.....just keep it first hand & factual.

Pamela, I'm sorry you had a bad experience in Acapulco and I do hope that you can get some kind of resolve from the guide. Feel free to post the results on here......if you choose to, of course. :)

sherry7 December 18th, 2009 12:19 AM

For those of you that have taken a tour with just 2 people, can you tell me how much it cost? It will just be me and the hubby, but I'm concerned that the cost would be prohibitive with just the 2 of us. Thanks for any info. :)

gargoyle999 December 18th, 2009 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sherry7 (Post 22361780)
For those of you that have taken a tour with just 2 people, can you tell me how much it cost? It will just be me and the hubby, but I'm concerned that the cost would be prohibitive with just the 2 of us. Thanks for any info. :)

We paid $150 for the two of us a couple weeks ago. We were with Hector for probably just over 7 hours. Make sure to clarify if you will have to pay extra for getting up close to the divers. We didn't have to pay to get in, but others have. It does not include the cost for lunch either.

pmatawan December 23rd, 2009 09:50 AM

10 of us off the NCL Star on the Panama Canal Cruise booked Rudy for a tour. We had a great time as Rudy took us places the Cruise Ship tours do not. Rudy was accomodating and took pictures for us with his camera after the battery on ours ran out. He offered to take our group in 2 vans an no additional charge for a more personalized tour, but we declined and stayed as 1 group. Rudy has lived in Alcopulco most of his life and knows the city well. We paid $45. pp and our tour lasted about 6 hours, which included the fee for the Cliff Divers. He had cold drinks in his van, including beer, no charge.....I would not hesitate to book with Rudy again....

paulbill1 December 28th, 2009 12:25 AM

Hi All,

We used Rudy just recently on our 12/13 sailing of the Spirit.
Rudy was very prompt in his email replies. He was also very clear on the cost and what was available to see while we were in Acapulco.
There were 4 of us, and we paid $50 per person. Rudy met us right outside the terminal himself. We already knew that Rudy was already taking another group, and he introduced us to Jose, whom was our driver for the day.
Nice clean van with A/C and cold drinks, and Jose we a very good, nice, and knowledgeable driver and guide. We saw all the highlighted places to see in Acapulco, with some great stops for pictures.
We also saw the cliff diving, and for us, this was included. Jose just talked to someone at the location and pointed us out. We were able to walk right in to a great spot for watching the divers.
Overall we had an excellent time with our guide Jose. We always felt safe, his driving was excellent, and his knowledge and info about Acapulco was welcome.
Rudy did gives us a call to check in with us during the tour to make sure we were having a good time.
I would recommend Rudy and tour by van in Acapulco to anyone. I hope to us him again in the future!
Paulbill

paulbill1 December 28th, 2009 12:26 AM

Hi All,

We used Rudy just recently on our 12/13 sailing of the Spirit.
Rudy was very prompt in his email replies. He was also very clear on the cost and what was available to see while we were in Acapulco.
There were 4 of us, and we paid $50 per person. Rudy met us right outside the terminal himself. We already knew that Rudy was already taking another group, and he introduced us to Jose, whom was our driver for the day.
Nice clean van with A/C and cold drinks, and Jose we a very good, nice, and knowledgeable driver and guide. We saw all the highlighted places to see in Acapulco, with some great stops for pictures.
We also saw the cliff diving, and for us, this was included. Jose just talked to someone at the location and pointed us out. We were able to walk right in to a great spot for watching the divers.
Overall we had an excellent time with our guide Jose. We always felt safe, his driving was excellent, and his knowledge and info about Acapulco was welcome.
Rudy did gives us a call to check in with us during the tour to make sure we were having a good time.
I would recommend Rudy and tour by van in Acapulco to anyone. I hope to us him again in the future!
Paulbill

KP Melb December 28th, 2009 03:35 PM

Great experience with Rudy

Our group of four took a tour with Rudy on the 26th of November when we arrived on the Star Princess.
We booked the tour via email, and Rudy was always prompt and concise in his email dealings.
When we arrived in Acapulco, Rudy, along with our driver Margarito were waiting for us at the agreed location at the dockside.

We had done some of our own research of places we wanted to visit, as well as some suggestions from a lovely Mexican couple we met on the ship. When we then asked Margarito his suggested locations, he covered off every one of our intended destinations.

Margarito is an excellent driver and guide, and the vehicle was clean, well maintained, and the AC worked.

His suggestion for lunch was great, and he kept an eye on the time to make sure we caught the cliff divers and returned to the ship in time.

All four of us agreed that our day in Acapulco was the highlight of our LA to Valpariso cruise, and we have no hesitation in recommending Rudy as a professional and trustworthy operator.

Peter.

KP Melb December 28th, 2009 03:37 PM

Great experience with Rudy

Our group of four took a tour with Rudy on the 26th of November when we arrived on the Star Princess.
We booked the tour via email, and Rudy was always prompt and concise in his email dealings.
When we arrived in Acapulco, Rudy, along with our driver Margarito were waiting for us at the agreed location at the dockside.

We had done some of our own research of places we wanted to visit, as well as some suggestions from a lovely Mexican couple we met on the ship. When we then asked Margarito his suggested locations, he covered off every one of our intended destinations.

Margarito is an excellent driver and guide, and the vehicle was clean, well maintained, and the AC worked.

His suggestion for lunch was great, and he kept an eye on the time to make sure we caught the cliff divers and returned to the ship in time.

All four of us agreed that our day in Acapulco was the highlight of our LA to Valpariso cruise, and we have no hesitation in recommending Rudy as a professional and trustworthy operator.

Peter.

CarRan December 29th, 2009 12:16 PM

Rudy's Acapulco Tour 12/15/09: NCL Star

On 15 Dec 2009, I thought Acapulco’s own, Rudy, with Tours by Van gave a Fantastic tour! He was enthusiastic and energetic; accommodating to every comfort and safety whim; Prompt; Very Informative; great sense of humor, took us from El Mercado Municipal (the street market) all the way up the hill and past the upscale homes of his beautiful city. He stopped several times for photo opportunities. At request, he took photos with his camera and/or ours and promptly e-mailed them to us, which I really appreciated since my husband and I were celebrating our 30th anniversary that day. I enjoyed his humorous, yet educational narration; however I was sitting in the back of the van and had a little trouble hearing bits and pieces. His price of $ 45.00 each for 10 people in a 14 seat van covered a six hour tour which also included the cover charge for the famous cliff divers, as well as the beautiful view, garden and inspiration of the Cross of Trouyet at the Chapel of Peace. There were many other sites that were seen, but the finale’ (in my opinion) was the breath taking view of the bay and ship from the Hotel Casa Blanca. During the tour, he offered refreshments of bottled water and soda. I heard later there was cerveza, but personally, the cerveza would make me sleepy and this tour is no sleeper. ENJOY!

katiepe January 12th, 2010 09:15 AM

Just Back from ACA with Rudy

Just wanted to post our experience with Rudy and Tour By Van.-January 09 2010
Had a marvelous time. They went out of their way to make sure we got to release a sea turtle even though we were not at the Sanctuary at the right time. This was something I really wanted to do. It was an experience of a lifetime. We saw and did more than expected.
Both Rudy-who met us at the ship and introduced himself -and our very excellent driver/guide-Sergio-were very professional.
Sergio knew ACA like the back of his hand. He was totally great. Toward the end of the day he was more like a friend showing us his "home town." He told us all sorts of things about ACA and the hotels and restaurants.
I have no problem whatsoever recommending Tour By Van.
You will have a great time.

katiepe January 12th, 2010 09:59 AM

Just wanted to add my comments

Just wanted to relate our past experience with Rudy and Tour By Van in Acapulco.
Rudy met us at the pier himself and introduced us to our Driver/Guide -Sergio. Very professional and reassuring I must say.
They went out of their way to make sure I got to do what I wanted. I have always been interested in turtles and when I found out I could release a sea turtle while in Acapulco I desperately wanted to do that. But the normal time is evening. Well Rudy and Sergio made sure I got to do the release in the morning. I was very impressed and had a little private ceremony ourselves:) Of course it helped that is was cloudy that day.
I must say Sergio knew ACA like the back of his hand and by the end of our 5 hour tour he was like a friend showing us his "home town". We got to see and do more than we expected.
No worries with Rudy for sure.
BTW I dont work for Rudy and didnt get any consideration for giving this review. I was a little concerned about doing an independent tour and not with the ship so wanted to let anyone else who has the same concerns know our experience.

pjfarkel January 13th, 2010 01:02 PM

Rudy's Tours by Van

We were the first off the ship this last Saturday in Acapulco...unusual weather - rain! Fortunately, Rudy and our guide Marco were at the gate waiting for us. What a relief - they grabbed our luggage, got us out of the rain and into the van. Rudy reviewed our itinerary with us and told us to pay after the tour. How great is that. We were on a short tour schedule, our flight leaving that day so off we went and everything worked picture perfect. We saw everything...the old famous Flamingo Hotel, once owned by our very own John Wayne and Tarzan (Johnny Weissmuller), the crumbling Casa Blanca Hotel with spectacular views, toured the Fort, saw old Acapulco, downtown Acapulco, visited the Chapel of Peace and so on. The van ran great, Marco knew his history and gave us a wonderful experience. I would recommend Rudy to anyone who wants an intimate tour of Acapulco. We loved our day - what a excellent way to end a fabulous cruise.

pjfarkel January 13th, 2010 01:05 PM

Our private tour with Rudy

We were the first off the ship this last Saturday in Acapulco...unusual weather - rain! Fortunately, Rudy and our guide Marco were at the gate waiting for us. What a relief - they grabbed our luggage, got us out of the rain and into the van. Rudy reviewed our itinerary with us and told us to pay after the tour. How great is that. We were on a short tour schedule, our flight leaving that day so off we went and everything worked picture perfect. We saw everything...the old famous Flamingo Hotel, once owned by our very own John Wayne and Tarzan (Johnny Weissmuller), the crumbling Casa Blanca Hotel with spectacular views, toured the Fort, saw old Acapulco, downtown Acapulco, visited the Chapel of Peace and so on. The van ran great, Marco knew his history and gave us a wonderful experience. I would recommend Rudy to anyone who wants an intimate tour of Acapulco. We loved our day - what a excellent way to end a fabulous cruise.

Michele M January 22nd, 2010 10:08 PM

We used Rudy/Tour by Van for 2 days in Acapulco January 8th and 9th. He picked us up at the airport as promised. He was easy to find with a sign that had my name on it. He let us know about good restaurants near our hotel and about the currency, how many pesos equal a dollar. He let me know that he may not be our guide the next day, but would have a really good replacement.

The next day, our guide, Jose came 10 minutes early and had a sign with my name on it. He did a great job and took us to all the sites before dropping us off at the ship. The cost $45pp for 6 of us included the admission to the lower levels for the cliff divers. He also had a cooler of drinks in the van. Rudy did call during our tour and asked to speak with me. He wanted to be sure we were having a good time. We really enjoyed the tour and I would definitely book with Rudy again in the future.

Ferndale Girl January 24th, 2010 10:10 AM

We stopped in Acapulco on the Coral Princess on Jan 10th and had pre-arranged with Rudy for a tour of the city. There were eight of us that got together for this tour. Rudy was always very prompt in corresponding with us about the tour. He met us at the terminal and was very nice. He took us on a wonderful tour of his city and would do whatever we wanted. We went to the market place, stopped at several spots for great views, went up to the Chapel of Peace, took us to the Cliff Divers, and went to see the murals of Diego Rivera and stopped at a restaurant on the beach for lunch. He didn't push shopping at all which was nice. None of us really wanted that. He would have taken us even more places but we all wanted to make sure we got back to the ship in plenty of time. The price because we had eight people was $45 pp. I would highly recommend Rudy for a great tour of Acapulco.

sandune January 25th, 2010 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferndale Girl (Post 22822832)
We stopped in Acapulco on the Coral Princess on Jan 10th and had pre-arranged with Rudy for a tour of the city. There were eight of us that got together for this tour. Rudy was always very prompt in corresponding with us about the tour. He met us at the terminal and was very nice. He took us on a wonderful tour of his city and would do whatever we wanted. We went to the market place, stopped at several spots for great views, went up to the Chapel of Peace, took us to the Cliff Divers, and went to see the murals of Diego Rivera and stopped at a restaurant on the beach for lunch. He didn't push shopping at all which was nice. None of us really wanted that. He would have taken us even more places but we all wanted to make sure we got back to the ship in plenty of time. The price because we had eight people was $45 pp. I would highly recommend Rudy for a great tour of Acapulco.

Thats nice to know that Rudy held true to his word...since we have booked with him on our cruise in February!!!! Susie

Ferndale Girl January 26th, 2010 12:41 PM

Susie, I wouldn't worry at all. I'm sure you'll have a great tour with him. Enjoy and report back. Have a great cruise.
Frances

Travel Geeks January 27th, 2010 12:04 AM

Acapulco "Tour by Van" with Rudy

One of the highlights of our Celebrity Panama Canal cruise (Jan. 2010) was the tour of Acapulco with Rudy (www.*********.com). From our email, he knew that we wanted to see certain points of interest. Because he has such a wonderful knowledge of the city and love of his country, he added additional stops for us to enjoy. He met us (group of 5) promptly at the pier and spent 6 hours showing us all aspects of the diverse city...common street market, poor and middle class neighborhoods, and elite homes for the very wealthy. We saw the Diego Rivera Mural and spent time in the beautiful Chapel of Peace, the Flamingo Hotel, and at a viewing spot to see the High Cliff Divers. His background information about each attraction and the personalities involved was fascinating. We stopped for an enjoyable lunch at a restaurant along the beach. His driving skills are fabulous, and his English is very good. Not only did he treat us very kindly during our tour, he emailed us pictures that he had taken of our day together. Rudy is polite, knowledgeable, considerate, and honest. He provided us with a memorable, amazing day in Acapulco!:)

professorhurst February 10th, 2010 11:38 AM

Exceptional tour with Rudy!

This was by far the absolute best tour I have ever done on any cruise on any island...and my husband and I are experienced cruisers! A friend of mine told me about her tour with Rudy and suggested it for us to try. I took her advise and have no regrets! I will stay in touch with Rudy and see him again whenever we pull into Acapulco.
I strongly suggest you snap up an opportunity to tour with Rudy. He was waiting on the pier for us when we arrived and we had a splendid day. Because he is so knowledgeable, he was able to customize our tour to miss the major traffic jams that other cruisers complained about. Rudy tooks us to the local places we wanted to see (hubby and I are sociologists) and we had a splendid day. I highly recommend time with Rudy!

Thanks and happy travels,
Lucy

katieemily February 10th, 2010 12:40 PM

Rudy

On our recent visit to Acapulco we had booked Rudy's Tour By Van tour via the internet. What a wonderful invention!! British you know.
It proved to be an inspired choice (not too hard though, as there had been so much positive comment on the internet).
Rudy provided us with a van to ourselves, to go where we wanted to, with our own guide (Marco) and a driver (Jorge). They took us on a half-hour drive to Coyuca Lagoon for an interesting boat trip (just Jesus the skipper, the driver, the guide, Ann and I), followed by a visit to a site on the beach where they release turtles. We then saw all the usual sights of Acapulco - the Casablanca Hotel, the Diego Rivera mural, the cliff divers and the Los Flamingos Hotel - we then finished up wandering around the charming Papagayo Park, to complete a memorable day.
We kept meeting with Rudy during our tour while he made sure everything was as we liked it. Our driver and guide were excellent ensuring that this was so.
If you need a tour in Acapulco I recommend RUDY.
John

gub927 February 23rd, 2010 10:13 PM

A Splendid Tour in Acapulco

In anticipation of our cruise on the Carnival Spirit and after doing a little homework, I decided to arrange a private tour of Acapulco with the help of Rudy at 'Tour by Van' prior to our cruise visit.

Rudy and his staff did an excellent job of communicating and arranging a tour for my sister and me. Our driver Sergio was waiting for us with a large sign, an even larger smile, and a friendly greeting when we reached the dock in Acapulco.

Sergio, as we soon learned, was a most enthusiastic and knowledgeable guide, and during the course of our 6 hour adventure he delighted and entertained us with his sparkling wit and depth of understanding of his beloved Acapulco. After taking the time to inquire, Sergio crafted our tour itinerary to include and incorporate our specific interests with the 'must see' highlights of this great city.

We had the time of our lives, and I highly recommend that if your travel plans take you to Acapulco email Rudy and arrange a tour, you will not be disappointed!

Have a great trip!

Colleen & Katy

Eddiesmom February 24th, 2010 12:39 AM

Just wanted to add my review of Tour By Van with Rudy that I recently took on February 17th, 2010. (I was on the sailing of the Radiance of the Seas, February 12, 2010 if anyone wants to see my postings regarding the tour contact with Rudy)

Our group consisted of 49 people. Not only did Rudy keep every promise he made to me during our 4 month communication he exceeded each and everyone of them. Rudy and his team were prompt, professional, knowledgeable, and extremly curteous.

Rudy and his team provided 6 Vans for spacious accommodations for our group. He specifically advised me he wanted to be sure there would be no overcrowding. We all sat comfortably with air conditioning in clean well kept Vans.

Rudy, Artura, Jose, Marco, Hector and Miguel took us to all the places that were recommended including the cliff divers that were of NO extra cost. I discussed this with Rudy prior and all of his drivers were notified of this. Our cost was $35 per person without tip, our lunch (not included) was at a beautiful restaurant on the beach called La Cabana. The food was good and at a reasonable price.

Our tour lasted 6 hours and at no time were any of us bored. Acapulco is a very beautiful city and it was especially perfect to have it's history told by one of it's native. Rudy had a caravan in order to keep our group together.

As you can see by my number of posts I am NOT a Troll trying to get business for Tour by Van I am only giving you my true personal experience. For those of you thinking of using Rudy, Tour by Van, I offer you one suggestion, stay in contact with Rudy and ask questions directly to him not only to the members of cruise critic. Only you can make or disappoint your tour, Rudy and his team give 110% as tour guides.

Rudy is reliable, he gives you your money's worth and provides you with exceptional service and information. If you want to see the "REAL" Acapulco, you should book Tour by Van.

I check cruise critic daily and will be watching for anyone wishing to ask me questions although questions should be directed to Rudy personally, he responds in a timely manner.

Smooth sailings to all!!!:):)

Windward Lass February 28th, 2010 11:27 AM

Acapulco Tours

We had a one-day tour in Acapulco with Rudy and Tours by Van on our recent Panama Canal cruise with Oceania. Of all the tours I scheduled in advance for that cruise, Rudy's tour was the best. We learned a great deal about Acapulco and Mexico and we visited some interesting and beautiful sites. I would highly recommend his tour company if you want to learn about the area and see the sites.

Fun2Bwith February 28th, 2010 06:07 PM

Great experience with Rudy/Miguel

Monday, 2/1/10, we were in Acapulco. Our tour was with Tours By Van. Rudy met us on the dock and he led one group and we had a guide named Miguel. He took us to a van, A/C, with driver. It was a 14 passenger van for the 4 of us, so it was very nice.
We drove through the Mercado, seeing all of the stores, including, the hanging chickens and beef. Next we drove out to Las Brisas and the giant cross. We went to an overlook to view Puerto Marques bay.

Next we drove up narrow roads to the top of a hill and a lovely house. We walked into the car port and had magnificent views of Acapulco, the bay and our cruise ship. We passed on lunch. We then drove to the Zocalo and walked all about with Miguel giving us details of the buildings, history and other anecdotes. We went into the Cathedral and a service was on that made it even more interesting. As always, the car would let us off, we would walk, and then the car would be waiting at the end of our walk, saving us not walking back through the same area.

Next we went to Quebrada to see the cliff divers. We paid an extra $13.50 for two drinks and seats in a lovely restaurant with a covered patio overlooking the divers. It was magnificent.

Next we went to Casa Blanca Hotel which was confiscated by the police. We climbed to the second floor and had more wonderful views of Acapulco. Next we went to the Diego Rivera murals. Finally, we went to Johnny Weissmuller’s house. We toured around the grounds. We then returned to the ship.

The tour company, owned by Rudolfo Fregoso, was effusive in communications. He kept his word on everything promised and provided even more. He was very reasonable and his associate Miguel was extremely knowledgeable. He was a history teacher.

guymat1 March 9th, 2010 07:15 PM

Rudy's Tour By Van

We just back from a cruise which included a stopover in Acapulco. Since we had been there a couple of times we really wanted something different than the usual cliff divers and movie stars' homes. With the help of Rudy and his colleague Sergio we were able to put together a great day which included many sights we had never before seen. I would highly recommend him to anyone interested in doing something on their own in Acapulco. :)

Pirateskigirl March 10th, 2010 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gargoyle999 (Post 22070367)
Yes and Yes. :)

he sent me a nice long email reply to my initial inquiry to see if they were available for the day I would be there. I'm sure if there was someplace else you wanted to go he would. Seems to be very customizable to what you want to do. Here is what he suggested:

1. - La Quebrada and the Divers, above all and at the very first place, what you can call a must!

2. - Non denominational Chapel of Peace and the Cross of Trouyet, best view to the bay area, surrounded by beautiful residences at the very pricey “Las Brisas” residential area.

3. - The “other” bay Puerto *******, smaller than the Bay of Acapulco but 8 times nicer as well, we only stop for pictures for a few minutes over there!

4. - The Los Flamingos Hotel, Once own by John Wayne and Johnny Weissmuller amongst other movie actors. We see the casa Tarzan where Weissmuller lived the last 20 years of his life.

5. - Hotel Casa Blanca, We only stop there for pictures. Great panoramic view of the Bay area and….. To the Cruise Ship!!!!!

6. - Diego Rivera´s mosaic mural, made by the most important painter of Mexico, married with the controversial painter Frida Kahlo, A short stop to take pictures, that will be all!

7. - El Mercado Municipal, is what I call a truly Eye Opener! So different to what you and your party have seen. But I warn you, it can be sort of Cultural Shocking for very many people! I recommend it very highly any way!

8. - El Zorrito restaurant (only suggested) or any other place you wish to go having lunch!
(the cost of Lunch in Zorrito is approximately $10.00 to $15.00 USD)

9. - El Zócalo & Cathedral, The Downtown area Main Square and Cathedral, oldest part of town and the most typical part of it, we may stop there for 20-30 minutes or not, always up to you!!

That is pretty much to tour we did with Rudy. El Zorrito is a nice restaurant. Enjoy.

alittlelost March 12th, 2010 10:04 PM

Took the Acapulco city tour with Rudy from Tours by van just last week, Spirit 2/23 sailing. I can honestly say it was the best tour on any cruise I have taken.
It was our seventh cruise and we almost always book private. Rudy met us right where he said he would, when he said he would. The van was new, clean and the AC worked well. He took us to a number of places you will not and frankly cannot see from the large buses that the cruise lines use. Acapulco is both a beautiful city and a city of contrasts. We got to see how all of the classes of people lived and never felt uncomfortable. Rudy kept us entertained explaining the history and culture of the area as well giving us a glimpse into what everyday life is like in Acapulco. Rudy will tailor the tour to what you want to see or to fit it into your time frame. Our tour was better than 7 hours and at the end he was ready and willing to keep going. We saw the late show of the cliff divers and then he suggested a couple other sights but we said No Mas! I would recommend him to everyone and will use him again next time we are in Acapulco.

alittlelost March 13th, 2010 10:58 PM

Well there was about six inches on either side of the van so i don't think a bus would fit. If you don't want my opinion don't ask. I talked to people who took the ship tour and where less than satisfied. That's all i'm saying. I guess the rules of the thread that you are not to review or recommend a tour until after you have used him does not count for you since you seem to be slamming his lack of reply even before you have used him. If you look this thread is a few years old now and the over whelming number of posts are very positive.

gumballz March 13th, 2010 11:21 PM

I have taken a tour with Rudy from TBV and I can confirm that in at least two places (possibly 3, due to limited parking) that we chose to visit, a bus would probably not have fit through the narrow passageway that we took to get there. As the previous poster stated, there was limited space between the van and the edge of the road. One road in particular was very curvy and narrow, so I'm sure a bus wouldn't have made it.

It's not like Rudy to not email someone back quickly, based on experience and other CC posters reviews of his service. If Rudy isn't writing back within a reasonable amount of time, there must be an issue that's beyond his control. Maybe his internet provider is down? Maybe he's had a family emergency? Maybe he's taking a family vacation? It's best to give him the opportunity to explain himself, rather than to accuse. His positive reviews say a lot about him & his services. I'm not defending him.....just stating the obvious. Things can happen to any of us, he's no exception. How many times have you had issues with CC? ;)

Also, just throwing this out there.....someone stated that there are bad comments on another site and people claim to know him? How do you know they know him? How do you know it's not another company trying to harm his reputation so they book with someone else? Again, just saying....don't always believe everything you read. It's pretty well known that people like to exaggerate. Fact is always better than assumption, right? :)

oceanaddict4life, If you don't think you'll be happy with a tour from Rudy, then don't book one with him. There are other options out there that might make you happier. Maybe booking with the cruiseline is a better option for you.

konatyme March 13th, 2010 11:32 PM

Fourteen of us took a tour with Rudy and another guide (I'm not sure of his name--maybe Sergio?)in 2 vans on March 6. (We were on the Carnival Spirit.) I would agree with all of the positive comments that have been made, and then some. (It's hard to find something else to say that hasn't already been said by others!)
I began communicating with Rudy last fall and he unfailingly answered every e-mail within 24 hours. (And, believe me, there were many!) On our tour, we visited every spot that he had suggested. Even though he originally said our tour would be 6 or 7 hours, we spent 8 hours with him--he wanted to make sure that we saw everything he had promised. And I have to confirm what the previous poster said: there is no way anything larger than our van could have navigated many of the streets we drove through. As it was, Rudy had to fold in the van's mirrors to make it down one of them! Our tour went from one end of the bay to the other, from the beach to the hilltops; we saw everything from the poorest parts of town to million dollar mansions, from well-known tourist spots to out-of-the way neighborhoods and, thanks to Rudy's knowledgeable commentary, we learned much about Acapulco and Mexico in general.
I know there have been suggestions that all the praises for Rudy are bogus and/or have been "planted" by him. I've not been on these boards for many years, as some people evidently have, but I have been using the forums for a couple of years and have posted before, so I hope that will be enough to prove that my comments are genuine. If anyone has any further questions that I might be able to answer, please don't hesitate to ask.

RosieRoo March 14th, 2010 11:31 AM

I did send an e-mail as well. He was prompt with his first reply, but I am still waiting for a reply to a question from a couple of days ago. I only contacted him because of all the good reviews I have read on this site. I also don't believe most of what I read, but I look at the recommendations from the people on here who have a lot of posts on this forum. Most of them have cruised a lot, as have I. I have not yet made my decision on who I will use in Acapulco.

I was actually referring to a thread Gumballz had posted on a tour operator in St. Thomas, not Rudy's rival. I also had personal experience with that tour operator that was less than spectacular so I do give her opinion merit.

I see that you don't have a ton of posts here. I think that when you have been around for a while you get to know whose opinion to trust. I have met some of these people on roll calls and gotten to know them on cruises, Gumballz happens to be one of them. I also had a similar experience on my Med cruise. There were tons of recommendations for a certain tour company and people were getting skeptical, but I did in fact end up using that company and they were spectacular. I guess that is why everyone was recommending them. So I guess some operators really are so good that people recommend them over and over.

I have not made any decisions yet about who I am going to go with. Hopefully I will make the right choice. I wish you luck in your search.

itsanita March 18th, 2010 08:03 AM

Does Rudy have a email address that you could pass on?

Billy and Charlie's Mum March 19th, 2010 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itsanita (Post 23625887)
Does Rudy have a email address that you could pass on?

Just google Tour by van and you will find it.

Billy and Charlie's Mum March 19th, 2010 02:05 AM

A group of us from our Cruise Critic roll Call used Rudy from Tour by Van when we visited Acapulco last month on the Coral Princess.

I can honestly say that Rudy's tours are worth every penny. If you want to see the true acapulco then use Rudy and Tour by Van. He took us everywhere that the tourist buses went plus much much more. There were 22 of us and we were split into 4 different vans for our comfort. Some of the photo vantage points we went were amazing.

If anyone wants any further assurance please ask.

KeywestK March 23rd, 2010 08:28 AM

Rudy, Tour by Van--Wonderful Experience!!!

Just back from our MexRiv cruise which included a stop in Acapulco. We booked our tour (we were 7 on our tour) with Rudy last October. Every correspondence from the very first inquiry was handled wonderfully by Rudy himself. We made our plans for our day in Acapulco and Rudy delivered. His tourguide for our group, Jose, met us at the pier and outlined our day in Acapulco. We saw all the highlights, including the cliff divers, and lunch at a lovely cafe on the beach. Jose was an excellent guide, full of information, and made our day perfect. Rudy himself met us at several points along the way to make sure we were happy and satisfied with our day. He does a great job!!!

I am so grateful that we found out about Rudy's company on these boards. I highly recommend him to anyone who wants to have a wonderful day in Acapulco.

Karen

itsanita March 23rd, 2010 02:40 PM

Can you give me his email address?

gumballz March 24th, 2010 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itsanita (Post 23696137)
Can you give me his email address?

The email I have for him is: info at tour by van dot com. No spaces, obviously. :)

Quinn March 28th, 2010 06:10 PM

We also used Rudy several weeks ago for our tour. He was really one of the best tour guides that we have ever used. We planned in advance what we wanted to see & he did not disappoint. I had booked him about a year in advance & he was always very prompt in answering all my questions. You will be very happy with him & enjoy Acapulco!

happytalk44 April 4th, 2010 08:26 PM

We contracted with Rudy for a tour of Acapulco as the final stop on our Panama Canal cruise aboard the Island Princess. This was, by far, the best arranged tour we have ever had. Rudy had answered every e-mail for months in a matter of hours and was waiting outside the pier for us as promised. He introduced us to Sergio and we had a perfectly wonderful day and were treated like royalty for 8 hours. Sergio could not have been a better tour guide and he saw to our every need. I have --and will--refer anyone going to Acapulco to this company without reservation.
It is disturbing to me that folks find honest reviews of a wonderful tour company to be in question and infer that such reviews are "plants". Please e-mail me directly at embarqmail.com to verify my opinion. Fl is a long way from Acapulco so I have no vested interest in posting a dishonest review.

Rosefloater April 5th, 2010 07:25 PM

Interested in booking Rudy for November cruise. May I ask what was the cost pp and did you have you have to pay inadvance? I know cost depends on number of people and where you go, but I would like some idea. Thanks.

happytalk44 April 6th, 2010 12:09 PM

The cost Rudy gave me was dependent on the number of people on the tour. We paid $75 PP for the tour to just be private for us. The numbers decreased if we had decided to include others. Everything was included except for the admission to the fort which we added after contracting with Rudy. Of course, lunch was not included but we chose to eat at the the restaurant he recommended on the beach and the meal for the 3 of us (Sergio included) was only $20. No money changes hands until the tour is completed which was an amazing concept. No deposits, no written contract. You will LOVE going with this tour. Our 5-6 hr tour turned into an 8 hr tour and we could have still kept going!

mrspaper April 6th, 2010 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rosefloater (Post 23888875)
Interested in booking Rudy for November cruise. May I ask what was the cost pp and did you have you have to pay inadvance? I know cost depends on number of people and where you go, but I would like some idea. Thanks.

we paid $35 pp and it included the cliff divers, for which they charge a fee.

cruznbuddies April 6th, 2010 10:50 PM

cost varies

Hi Rosefloater, cost does vary depending on how many people you have. We paid I believe it was $40 pp for 6 of us back in Dec. As for payment, he would not allow us to pay until AFTER the tour. It was an excellent tour. You won't regret booking with him!

konatyme April 6th, 2010 10:53 PM

When we toured with Rudy in early March, the charge was $45 per person ( I think that was discounted from either $50 or $55 because we had a group--can't remember exactly how many are needed for the discount, maybe 7 or 8), and we spent almost 8 hours with him. He does not want to be paid in advance; he collects his money at the end of the tour and guarantees your satisfaction. We had an absolutely great time with him; can't recommend him highly enough!!

Billy and Charlie's Mum April 7th, 2010 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rosefloater (Post 23888875)

There were 22 of us. We had 4 vans and were very comfortable spread out in those vans. The tour cost $35US each and was worth every cent and more! You will not regret your decision. It is a wonderful tour.

Rosefloater April 9th, 2010 02:54 AM

Thank you all for your replies. I will certainly consider Rudy for our cruise in November. We booked a tour through the ship last year and it was so disappointing. Most of the time was spent at the cliff divers and the "must see" jewelry store, so this time we would like to see the sights of Acapulco.

katieemily April 9th, 2010 01:02 PM

We found Rudy to be excellent. He arranged for us to go just when and where we wanted and was most attentive. For a reasonable premium he will arrange for an exclusive use of a guide, driver and transport to go just where you want, a service we were really pleased with as it enabled us to go off the beaten track a bit and to miss out the things we didn't want to see.
John

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rosefloater (Post 23939926)
Thank you all for your replies. I will certainly consider Rudy for our cruise in November. We booked a tour through the ship last year and it was so disappointing. Most of the time was spent at the cliff divers and the "must see" jewelry store, so this time we would like to see the sights of Acapulco.

itsanita April 9th, 2010 04:02 PM

we are booking with Rudy for a 4-5 hour tour in the afternoon. I do have a couple of questions.

Is there a place that Rudy can take us to eat/drink and watch the divers at the same time? I was thinking of having lunch and a drink while watching the 'show', but not even sure if this is possible.

We will have some extra time in the am before he picks us up. Is there anyplace we can go for a couple of hours in the morning on our own? Is anyplace walkable from the cruise ship port?

thanks for your help...we are looking forward to our time with rudy.

Rogy&Romy April 9th, 2010 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itsanita (Post 23947797)
we are booking with Rudy for a 4-5 hour tour in the afternoon. I do have a couple of questions.

Is there a place that Rudy can take us to eat/drink and watch the divers at the same time? I was thinking of having lunch and a drink while watching the 'show', but not even sure if this is possible.

We will have some extra time in the am before he picks us up. Is there anyplace we can go for a couple of hours in the morning on our own? Is anyplace walkable from the cruise ship port?

thanks for your help...we are looking forward to our time with rudy.

Our time was 3pm to meet Rudy...so for the first few hours we went on our own...we walked to Fort San Diego (across the road..paid 6 US for the two of us..which was good because this was mentioned as being something we would do on the tour..but with traffic so bad we didn't do it with the tour)...while there we met a really neat guy Esteban he offered to take a photo of us while we were out front he fort...after talking he told us that he worked for the government and showed us his cruise terminal ID tag..anyways he took us down the road to the flea market....tons of little shops...showed us a few neat places & a few we shouldn't go to as tourists (all of this on foot) then back along the beach to the terminal so we could meet up with the group for the tour...he wouldn't accept any money from us...but he liked our Canadian cigarettes..so we stuffed a few bills in a pack and left them with him...Acapulco was my least favorite on the trip..so I am really glad we lucked out and had our early afternoon with Esteban and the tour with Rudy for the rest of the afternoon...after our tour & the cliff divers we went to the beach and had a few drinks with friends...then spent the rest of the time in the terminal at the bar...and checking out the shops in there...and watch out for the little girls trying to sell you chicklets..they come in droves on the beach path at night and we caught them trying to get into our bags and purses while one tries to keep you occupied flickin the chicklets at ya.

dataminn April 12th, 2010 11:28 AM

Rudy Acapulco (Fregoso)

Just returned from our Celebrity Constellation (outstanding) trip through the Panama Canal. One of our stops was in Acapulco. Based on a number of reviews, I assumed Acapulco would be lower on the list of trip highlights. Not true! Please disregard any references to "faded glory" and "safety" comments concerning this port. Yes, Acapulco has history, if that is what the "faded glory" refers to. It is a big city, so there is always a certain amount of crime, I'm sure, but we never once felt unsafe. We found the city to be clean and beautiful and its people most welcoming. We were very impressed!

Perhaps our impression of Acapulco was due to the services of Rudy Fregoso (Rudy Acapulco). We had the pleasure of touring with Rudy and his driver, Sergio. It was an outstanding. Rudy provided us with a very competitively priced tour built around our interests, a spotless, air conditioned van which can go places the large tour bused cannot travel, an outstanding local seafood restaurant, and a chance to interact on a personal level with intelligent local people. He even took many pictures of us on tour, which we had waiting for us when we returned home. It was such a nice touch. Rudy has our highest recommendation.

linda47 April 27th, 2010 09:10 AM

Our tour with Rudy was wonderful. He took us to the places we wanted to see and others we had no idea that we should see. Our main interest was a turtle release that was about 45 min. south of Acapulco. Rudy got us there before the ship's buses, which was great. Instead of 30 + people there, there were only 6 of us. As we were leaving, the buses were arriving.

He wanted to give us a 'well rounded' tour of Acapulco and he did, showing us the rich, middle class, and poorer areas of the city. His knowledge of the history of not only Mexico, but the US and Canada was admirable.

The restaurant he recommended for lunch was great. Watch out for the Margaritas! Don't have more than one! ;)

I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this, but Rudy also supplies water and soft drinks for his passengers. He also took a lot of pictures of us, which was totally unexpected. I've never had a tour operator take pics with his own camera and then email the photos to us.

He was a pleasure to work with, responding to my emails promptly, answering all questions. And his payment policy can't be beat. He refuses money until the end of the tour and only if you're satisfied with his service. I'm sure no one has refused to pay him!

You cannot go wrong using Tours by Van.

NYcruiserNY May 2nd, 2010 12:48 AM

Itsanita
The restaurant where the divers perform is not recommended for it's food quality but it can be done if that is what you want. The name is La Perla and while the food is not good it is very nice to look around at all the history and the beautiful view of La Quebrada.

As far as walking around the Zocalo is a very short walk from the cruise terminal and there are many local shops and some good food along the way as well.

Pastordonna May 3rd, 2010 08:05 PM

Without a doubt one of our favorite tours. I think the test is "would you use Rudy again?" The answer would be a swift YES ... Rudy is very customer oriented and is ready to go the extra mile. Can't say enough about his responses to email queries, etc. One of the best!!!

fancycroozer May 4th, 2010 07:27 PM

Rudy's tour by van

We just returned from Acapulco and we used Rudy's Tour by Van and I have to say he was the best and would recommend him to anyone! We were fortunate enough to have Rudy himself and we had such a good time. Made us laugh so much not to mention all the places we got to see. anyone looking for a private tour here can't go wrong by choosing Rudy - he is fabulous. so glad we chose his company.:D

amc80 May 21st, 2010 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Midniter (Post 24526503)
We used Rudy on oour recent Panama Canal cruise and it a was perfect trip when we stopped in Acapulco.

Rudy communicated thouroly prior to the cruise. He personally met us on the dock. He assigned a driver by the name of Marco for our private tour. Marco was professional and polite. Because we had toured Acapulco before, we set our own destination for most of the tour. Marco did the rest and it was great!
I highly recommend this group for a tregular or private tour.

Good to know- I am booked with Rudy in November...really looking forward to it. He won't be able to conduct the tour himself, but I'm sure all of his people are great.

rodsandroyals May 21st, 2010 08:17 PM

Tour By Van

We used Rudy/Tour By Van on our recent trip to Acapulco. Rudy and our drivers, Marco and Hector, were awesome. We had ten in our group so they divided us into two vans for our comfort. It was very hot that day. Rudy provided us with a shaded area when we went to see the Cliff Diving Show. It made the show very enjoyable. We would highly recommend Rudy and his crew. We saw many areas of the city that would not be accessible by large vehicles. We were back to the ship in plenty of time. No worries. You will not be disappointed with Rudy.

NYcruiserNY May 27th, 2010 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samben (Post 22057124)
Has anyone done the Shot Overjet and Rapid tour with him???

Samben

Shotover Jet in Acapulco went out of business a few months back unfortunately.

cruzinismyname August 5th, 2010 04:20 PM

Rudy and Jose handled our large group like they had been doing this for years. They were fantastic from communication to the actual tour. A class act. We will always remember that day in Acapulco!!

Robert

Michele M August 31st, 2010 06:22 PM

We used tour by van before our panama canal cruise. Rudy was waiting for us at the airport with a sign. He brought us to our hotel. The next day, we were picked up promptly at 9am for a wonderful tour of acapulco, including the divers. At the end of the tour we were taken to the ship. We will definitely use rudy and tour by van again next time we are in acapulco.

Popeye33 October 15th, 2010 11:34 AM

Great Day in Acapulco

We used "Tours by Rudy" for our day in Acapulco and had a great time. Have no hesitation in recommending his services. Our guide Arturo was very knowledgeable about the city and took us to all the great sites to see. A very enjoyable fact about this company is that they do not take you "shopping" unless you specifically ask for it. They are very accommodating in whatever it is you want to see and do. Arturo even took me to a Walmart when I realized that I needed a specialty battery for my camera!

As i said our group was very happy with the tour and I have no hesitation in recommending his services to anyone wanting to see Acapulco at its best.

Ave

barrydoll November 8th, 2010 03:11 PM

Tour by Van: 5 stars

We contacted Rudy at Tour by Van 7 weeks before our one-day cruise stop in Acapulco.
Within 24 hours we had received a reply email from Rudy promising us a private, comprehensive, personalised and professional tour and boy did he deliver!

We chose to visit most of the "usual" touristy spots including the Cliff Divers, the Chapel of Peace, Fort of San Diego and more.

Rudy was waiting for us on the pier when we arrived and he ushered us to his spacious, clean, comfortable and air-conditioned van.
Jose was our driver for the day and we were also fortunate to have Rudy himself in our van, sharing his passion for his city with us. These guys were FANTASTIC.
They were both so knowledgeable, friendly and passionate about what they do, and both spoke good English.
The tour was much better than I could have imagined. We got to see all the attractions that we had specified, and we had lunch break at a great restaurant that Rudy had suggested - the lunch was at our own expense - otherwise everything including attraction entrance fees was included in the tour cost of a mere $45 each!.
The van was stocked with plenty of iced water and towelettes for the 7 of us.

There had been some recent negative media about Acapulco but not once did we feel unsafe. Quite the contrary. This is a beautiful city to be explored and there's no safer way than to explore it with experienced locals.

We give Rudy and the other guides 10 out of 10. We would strongly recommend Tour By Van to anyone.

cjc2010 November 28th, 2010 11:08 PM

Rudy is the best...

Best tour of Acapulco by far. This was my second time visiting Acapulco and I really feel as though I got a complete tour of the real Acapulco. Thanks to Rudy and our tour guide Malu for providing us with your great hospitality and service. We look forward to coming back again soon!

muccouple January 4th, 2011 12:20 PM

Private Tour Experience in Acapulco

We have been in Acapulco on our westbound Panama Canal Cruise in December 2010 on Coral Princess.
Prior to our departure we have checked some threads for any recommendation for private tours in all the ports of call. Rudys tourbyvan was bespoken pretty well and so we contacted him with a lot of questions which have been answered immediately.
After the disembarking Rudy met us perfectly in time at the pier and introduced us to our driver, who was very knowlegdable about the city of Acapulco. Next to all the stops we wanted to see he brought us to interesting places for good views on the old or new part of the town.
Rudy arranged a photoshot with the cliff divers what we never had expected to happen.
We never felt pushed though we spontanously decided to have dinner at the main place instead at the beach. After finally 7 hrs our driver dropped us exactly in time at the pier.
As we have met another couple during the cruise to join our tour we spend less per person compared to the ships tour desk offer.

The van was very clean with ac, drinks have been offered and the driver didn´t get nervous about the traffic.

Thanks to Rudy and his team again for a memorable experience in Acapulco. The service during the planning stage as well as his service after we left his hometown is incredible. Just received a couple a pics from our tour as well as a personalized slide show.

Whenever we will be back Rudys tourbyvan will be our choice again.

pinthea January 4th, 2011 05:13 PM

Tour by Van review -- your mileage may vary

Hello, I feel I would be doing the Cruise Critic members a disservice by recommending Tour by Van without some reservation.

After reading so many positive and wonderful reviews, I recently booked a van tour with Rudy. He was unavailable for the day we asked for but assured us that one of his trusted assistants would give us an excellent experience.

If you read no further, please take this away: Get Rudy. Or take your chances. He may have good substitute guides, unfortunately we did not get one of them.

We saw a lot of sites, like the Chapel of Peace, the shopping and hotel strip, some great views of the city from a couple of hill-top places, were offered some shopping, saw the cliff divers, had lunch at a beach-side restaurant. The vehicle was a new-ish Chevy Suburban. Nice interior. Roomy. But we didn't have that vehicle for the whole tour (read on).

We had a driver and the promised Rudy-substitute guide. The guide's name was Oscar. He proved to be a nice enough guy, but not a good guide.

Yes, Oscar did act as guide. By saying things like "There's a church." "There's a market." "See the chickens." Very little back-story, history, etc... Very little of what I would expect from a tour guide.

First, there were language barriers - at the very least I would have figured there would be enough English comprehension so that when I explained that the car was filling up with car exhaust from vehicles ahead of us (when we were stopped at a light) we could get them to understand that we wanted to have the clime control recirculation button pressed.

After about a minute of trying to explain "Press that button!" we gave up.

At one point later on the tour, the driver (not Oscar) rolled down his window and yelled a string of expletives at the car next to us. I don't understand much Spanish language, but I understand THOSE words...

We were taken to a bit of a run-down little shopping place which felt very predatory. We felt like nothing more than walking wallets. Herded from one little shop to the next. We tried to get out of there as quickly as possible. We told them shopping wasn't our thing but given that we were running way ahead of schedule we agreed to the shopping stop. To browse. But were brow-beaten by the shop owners to the point of frustration.

We had INCREDIBLE seats at the Hotel Miramar patio to watch the cliff divers, kudos for Rudy for scoring us an excellent table.

Afterward the nice vehicle we were initially in, along with the foul-mouthed driver, was replaced by a scary run-down van which Rudy himself drove, taking us to a beach-side restaurant which apparently he has a stake in.

The little bit of info about the cliff divers that Rudy told us along the way was 1000x more informative and better than all of the "guide" services we got from Oscar to that point.

Take-away: Get Rudy as your guide. Or go somewhere else.

While at the restaurant, both Oscar and Rudy made sure that the service was attentive and that we were serviced well. I appreciated that.

The restaurant itself was nice enough. When it was time to leave we were told that Oscar, the guide, wasn't done eating yet and we had to wait. I appreciate that the guide needs time for food, but honestly, they should plan to handle that along the way and not make the paying guest, who is paying a premium price, to wait until they're done. I'm paying, folks, it should be all about the guest -- their comfort, and their schedule. Maybe that's selfish of me.

But we were polite and said that waiting would be fine. We didn't want to cause any trouble so we sat back and relaxed in the restaurant, which allowed more time for random people to come by our table and nag us to buy their trinkets. Yeah, that never gets old...

In the end, we wanted to use up some Pesos so we asked Rudy if we could use them up. Of course we could, for an exchange rate way different than the banks were giving - in Rudy's favor. In that way, again, we felt taken advantage of.

In the end, we did see some great sights but honestly, it was a frustrating day and left saying we'd never go back to Acapulco.

At the end of the day, Oscar apologized for the foul mouth of the driver.

Rudy, if you read this -- get more personable and knowledgeable guides with a better command of the language your guests are speaking. Take them to better shopping places. Don't drive them around in beat-up 1982 vans.

NYcruiserNY January 4th, 2011 08:46 PM

Terrific Points

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinthea (Post 27366114)
Hello, I feel I would be doing the Cruise Critic members a disservice by recommending Tour by Van without some reservation.

After reading so many positive and wonderful reviews, I recently booked a van tour with Rudy. He was unavailable for the day we asked for but assured us that one of his trusted assistants would give us an excellent experience.

If you read no further, please take this away: Get Rudy. Or take your chances. He may have good substitute guides, unfortunately we did not get one of them.

We saw a lot of sites, like the Chapel of Peace, the shopping and hotel strip, some great views of the city from a couple of hill-top places, were offered some shopping, saw the cliff divers, had lunch at a beach-side restaurant. The vehicle was a new-ish Chevy Suburban. Nice interior. Roomy. But we didn't have that vehicle for the whole tour (read on).

We had a driver and the promised Rudy-substitute guide. The guide's name was Oscar. He proved to be a nice enough guy, but not a good guide.

Yes, Oscar did act as guide. By saying things like "There's a church." "There's a market." "See the chickens." Very little back-story, history, etc... Very little of what I would expect from a tour guide.

First, there were language barriers - at the very least I would have figured there would be enough English comprehension so that when I explained that the car was filling up with car exhaust from vehicles ahead of us (when we were stopped at a light) we could get them to understand that we wanted to have the clime control recirculation button pressed.

After about a minute of trying to explain "Press that button!" we gave up.

At one point later on the tour, the driver (not Oscar) rolled down his window and yelled a string of expletives at the car next to us. I don't understand much Spanish language, but I understand THOSE words...

We were taken to a bit of a run-down little shopping place which felt very predatory. We felt like nothing more than walking wallets. Herded from one little shop to the next. We tried to get out of there as quickly as possible. We told them shopping wasn't our thing but given that we were running way ahead of schedule we agreed to the shopping stop. To browse. But were brow-beaten by the shop owners to the point of frustration.

We had INCREDIBLE seats at the Hotel Miramar patio to watch the cliff divers, kudos for Rudy for scoring us an excellent table.

Afterward the nice vehicle we were initially in, along with the foul-mouthed driver, was replaced by a scary run-down van which Rudy himself drove, taking us to a beach-side restaurant which apparently he has a stake in.

The little bit of info about the cliff divers that Rudy told us along the way was 1000x more informative and better than all of the "guide" services we got from Oscar to that point.

Take-away: Get Rudy as your guide. Or go somewhere else.

While at the restaurant, both Oscar and Rudy made sure that the service was attentive and that we were serviced well. I appreciated that.

The restaurant itself was nice enough. When it was time to leave we were told that Oscar, the guide, wasn't done eating yet and we had to wait. I appreciate that the guide needs time for food, but honestly, they should plan to handle that along the way and not make the paying guest, who is paying a premium price, to wait until they're done. I'm paying, folks, it should be all about the guest -- their comfort, and their schedule. Maybe that's selfish of me.

But we were polite and said that waiting would be fine. We didn't want to cause any trouble so we sat back and relaxed in the restaurant, which allowed more time for random people to come by our table and nag us to buy their trinkets. Yeah, that never gets old...

In the end, we wanted to use up some Pesos so we asked Rudy if we could use them up. Of course we could, for an exchange rate way different than the banks were giving - in Rudy's favor. In that way, again, we felt taken advantage of.

In the end, we did see some great sights but honestly, it was a frustrating day and left saying we'd never go back to Acapulco.

At the end of the day, Oscar apologized for the foul mouth of the driver.

Rudy, if you read this -- get more personable and knowledgeable guides with a better command of the language your guests are speaking. Take them to better shopping places. Don't drive them around in beat-up 1982 vans.

You more or less stated what I had planned to say quite some time ago. Rudy is an outstanding guide clearly from all the reviews here but does a traveler get a discount when Rudy is not available?? I doubt it and for that I agree with you Guarentee Rudy or go elsewhere!!

pinthea January 5th, 2011 10:33 AM

Clarification of my previous post

I would like to clarify a few things in my previous post.

Please do not take away from what I wrote that what I described about Oscar as not being such a great tour guide is indicative of all of Rudy's staff. Obviously Rudy is a fantastic tour guide, as so many others have posted here -- I just got a not-so-good substitute. Rudy's blame in this, at most, is over-estimating Oscar's abilities.

Rudy had contacted me after I posted the original review and was very apologetic about my experience and wished he could have done something sooner to have made things right. (At the time I didn't feel right about immediately complaining, as if I was trying to get a discount or free tour by being a complainer. It was what it was and that's all it was...)

In his reply Rudy even offered me a refund of our tour cost, or a free tour for friends should they visit Acapulco in the future.

Obviously he cares for the customer experience and in maintaining his good reputation; further proof that Rudy tries to do right by the customer.

I do not feel that it is appropriate to take Rudy up on his refund offer; after all, we did see many sights in Acapulco and although we did not get as great an experience as others who had better guides, we did have a full tour.

So, in the end, there are great tours and a not-so-good one once in a while. Rudy, I'm sure, will work hard to ensure that all of his associate tour guides are up to the task.

If you have any doubts about using Rudy in an upcoming tour, please contact him via e-mail and work out up front what you expect of your guide. But again, try to get Rudy himself, he's a dynamic and interesting guide.

Thanks, Rudy, for taking the time to contact me and follow-up on my candid comments. Best wishes for you and your company in the future!

boukefalos January 8th, 2011 10:26 PM

Rudy - best tour of the cruise!

We were on Rudy's tour in Acapulco and it was excellent. Everything operated smoothly, tour guide was excellent - very informative about a range of topics and gave us a good sense of life in Acapulco, vehicles clean and comfortable, and everything happened without a hitch. We give Rudy and his team our highest recommendation and would look forward to a tour with him again in the future.

Jenny

kdp2710 January 22nd, 2011 12:42 PM

Excellent tour

We recently used Rudy of tour by van for a tour of Acapulco. Our ship was two hours late but when we arrived Rudy was waiting for us with a smile. He gave us an excellent tour of his city. He provided in depth information about the sites we visited. He took us everywhere we wanted to go. He was very friendly and professional through out the tour. When I was preparing to book this tour he responded very quickly with clear information about his tours. I would definitely use his service again on my next trip to Acapulco.
:D

KJTRAVELS May 1st, 2011 07:12 PM

Fantastic Tour with Tours by Van with Rudy

I booked by email a tour with Rudy prior to arriving in Acapulco on the Island Princess posted it on Cruise Critic and had 22 of us on this fantastic tour. We had Rudy, Jose, and Alex as our tour guides and they were very professional and very cognizant of the time and what time that we needed to be back to the ship. They showed us the highlights of Acapulco. We saw many more things than we would have seen with the ships tours at a lesser price. We did choose to eat dinner at a local beach restaurant which was extra but worth every penny!! We saw so many beautiful places and had many photo opportunities. We all had such a FABULOUS time on this FANTASTIC tour!!
We loved every minute of the tour. Well worth the money and time spent on this tour.

Asko May 8th, 2011 12:00 AM

Excellent Tour with Tours by Van!!!!

I contacted Rudy at Tour by Van 5 months before our one-day cruise stop in Acapulco.
Within 12 hours I had received a reply email from Rudy promising us a private, comprehensive, personalised and professional tour and what a great tour he delivered!

He met us (group of 8 and our 5 year old son) at the port after disembarking off the Island Princess as arranged. Alex was our driver for the day and we were also fortunate to have Rudy himself in our clean, comfortable and air-conditioned van. These guys were FANTASTIC!

We saw all the sites and more as Rudi took us off the beaten track into places where the usual tourist dont visit, for example the old market and at all times we were in safe hands.

We loved having lunch at the open air beach restaurant which was extra but worth every penny. The margeritas were powerful :D

All the time Rudy was taking photos of both the group and the attractions. When we returned home he emailed us all the pictures. What a great service!

Acapulco is a beautiful city to be explored and there's no safer way than to explore it with Rudy.
We would strongly recommend Tour By Van to anyone.

LovetoCruise2011 May 11th, 2011 02:44 PM

Quote:

Thanks!

We have just returned from our cruise from FLL to Acapulco and return to FLL. I booked our tour with Rudy from Tour by Van prior to our cruise. He did a great job in helping us lay out an itinerary and was absolutely wonderful to work with. Rudy was there waiting for us when the ship docked, so no worries there. Our tour and all the great information provided by Rudy made for a day to be remembered. Everyone in our group had a totally amazing day. It was a great experience and I highly recommend Tour by Van!!

trikinimaster May 18th, 2011 02:40 PM

Did Rudy's Tour by Van last week

Quote:

Thanks!

I cannot recommend it more strongly, Rudy a great guy and the tour was top drawer beginning to end.

:D:):):):)

janeya May 20th, 2011 12:15 PM

Excellent tour!!

We had a great time with Rudy. He was extremely knowlegable and takes you to places that you probably won't see with any other tour. Rudy made sure to squash the reputation that Acapulco has been getting lately. I highly recommend a tour with Rudy when you visit this city! Not to be missed!:):):):):)

unberwoob May 20th, 2011 03:06 PM

We did Rudy's tour last week and it was outstanding. We have done many tours, some with the ship but mostly private, and Rudy's was one of the very best. Rudy was our guide to the market, and it was very interesting-not something you get on a standard tour. After the market we had two other guides take over and both were outstanding. As far as safety, we never felt in danger.
I highly recommend Rudy's tour. It was a fabulous experience.

mia mom May 27th, 2011 05:32 PM

tourbyvan, what an experience!

We have to thank those people who posted great reviews about this company. They did not disappoint. We had a most enjoyable full day tour with Romeo ( Rudy was doing another tour) whom, from the moment he picked us up at the airport to dropping us off at the crusie pier, paid the utmost attention to us driving us around the city and explaining the city's history, culture and landmarks in great humour and details. We've done many private tours, this one surpasses them all in service and attention. If you have any doubts about Acapulco (eg from bad media coverage), fear no more, Rudy and his team will sure look after you well. And Romeo, I can be your Juliette whenever I'm in your city. :)

caribbean52010 June 1st, 2011 12:06 AM

Quote:

Thanks!

We just returned from the Panama Canal Cruise and one port of call was Alapulco. We had heard of some issues with drug lords and we chose to stay on the ship but then after talking with a few on the cruise they had a tour booked with Rudy and there was an opening for two in the van that holds 8 comfortably.

We went and was so glad we did. Of five tours we did, I would have to say this might have been the best and was so glad we did it. We never felt in danger and felt safe the entire time.

The tour was more than we expected. Yes we did a few of the tourist things like the Cliff Divers ( and glad we did). But he took us behind the scenes and we saw the real Acapulco. As we walked in crowded areas, there was Rudy leading the way and bringing up the rear was Roger.

Yes there were two guides for 8 of us. They made sure we felt safe the entire time. Rudy did a lot of extras. I don't want to spoil the tour by telling you all the extras he did but I would never hesitate using Rudy.

Biggest mistake would have been for us to stay on the ship and have missed this day.

If anyone has any questions or concerns you can email me at [email protected] and I will try to answer any questions you have.

Thanks Rudy for a great tour.

NYcruiserNY June 4th, 2011 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caribbean52010 (Post 29291636)
We just returned from the Panama Canal Cruise and one port of call was Alapulco. We had heard of some issues with drug lords and we chose to stay on the ship but then after talking with a few on the cruise they had a tour booked with Rudy and there was an opening for two in the van that holds 8 comfortably.

We went and was so glad we did. Of five tours we did, I would have to say this might have been the best and was so glad we did it. We never felt in danger and felt safe the entire time.

The tour was more than we expected. Yes we did a few of the tourist things like the Cliff Divers ( and glad we did). But he took us behind the scenes and we saw the real Acapulco. As we walked in crowded areas, there was Rudy leading the way and bringing up the rear was Roger.

Yes there were two guides for 8 of us. They made sure we felt safe the entire time. Rudy did a lot of extras. I don't want to spoil the tour by telling you all the extras he did but I would never hesitate using Rudy.

Biggest mistake would have been for us to stay on the ship and have missed this day.

If anyone has any questions or concerns you can email me at [email protected] and I will try to answer any questions you have.

Thanks Rudy for a great tour.

Thanks for telling it like it is and many others share your views....

rdavidnann August 2nd, 2011 06:37 PM

Rudy's tourbyvan comments

We did the tour with Rudy with 9 of us when we stopped on the Celebrity Infinity in early May. It was by far was the best tour we have had. Got to see the real Acapulco. Was very informative, gave us a safe tour & extras that most tours don't think of. Don't miss it when you are in Acapulco.

Rodger & Nancy

LovetoCruise2011 August 2nd, 2011 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdavidnann (Post 30029836)
We did the tour with Rudy with 9 of us when we stopped on the Celebrity Infinity in early May. It was by far was the best tour we have had. Got to see the real Acapulco. Was very informative, gave us a safe tour & extras that most tours don't think of. Don't miss it when you are in Acapulco.

Rodger & Nancy

So glad to hear that your group also enjoyed the tour. We did a tour with Rudy (and were fortunate enough to have Rudy for our guide) this past April. It was fantastic!!

Chetsky October 24th, 2011 08:02 AM

Best Tour of Acapulco

Rudy Fregoso and his tour company, Tours by Van are great! We were on a cruise and booked this tour about six months in advance. Domingo, our tour guide was waiting for us holding a sign with our name on it as soon as we got off the ship. You are offered a suggested itinerary but the day is yours - you can do as little or as much as you want. We were taken ahead of the crowds of tour buses to the cliff diver show with front row seats - plus free margaritas!
Our guide was great - perfect english and proud of his country. The day is yours to do whatever you want and you don't have to worry about getting back to the ship - you can see it from most places you go to. The Mexican government is taking extra security precautions to make tourists feel safe.

This is by far the best tour company in Acapulco and about half the price of the ship's tours!

dj63 December 18th, 2011 03:16 PM

tours by van

Look no further than Tours By Van...Rudy is second to none on his knowledge of Acapulco and all the hidden gems of this great city.His suggestions insights and the passion he brings to the tour make it truly memorable.I have no hesitation what so ever in reccomending Rudy for a true taste of Acapulco..

mickey2965 April 30th, 2013 10:03 PM

Rudy was wonderful. He and his friend Samy met us at the dock with his own van and gave us an outstanding tour of his home town. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and would highly recommend Rudy to anyone traveling to Acapulco.

CA2CO January 14th, 2014 02:56 PM

Great day with Rudy's Tour by Van

We were in Acapulco for the day off of the Oceania Regatta in late December. Myself, my parents and my 17 year old daughter had a wonderful day with Rudy and his coworkers. Carlos (Charlie) was our driver and Rogelio (Roger) was our guide. We met up with Rudy along the way in several spots and he was very responsive and prompt in all of our email communications with him before our trip, and available and checking in with us throughout the day. Charlie and Roger spoke excellent English, were fun, friendly and full of all sorts of interesting information about Acapulco, it's history, politics and the sites we visited. They answered all of my questions (and I had a lot!) and they could not have been kinder or more patient with my mom who is 81 and does not get along as easily as she used to. We walked through the markets, saw downtown and the beaches, the Chapel of Peace and Las Brisas neighborhood,stopped above the city for some great views, saw the cliff divers, the Diego Rivera mural and had a meal at LaCabana on Las Caletas beach. All the sites were excellent and we only regretted that we could not spend more time in this beautiful city. We always felt safe and comfortable. I highly recommend Rudy and his staff if you are in Acapulco, and please do visit Acapulco if you get a chance!!!

Boston GM July 9th, 2014 08:47 PM

Tour by Van with Rudy is a Must Do

Rudy is amazing and designs a tour specifically for you. He knows everything about Acapulco and carefully listens to help you select the best stops. You can spend as much time as you want at each, add or subtract stops during the tour and get the best possible visit of Acapulco possible. We stopped at Acapulco on a cruise chip. Their tour was more than double what Rudy charges and instead of sitting in a crowded van, we had personal attention riding in comfort. We are not usually too interested in tours and prefer self guided. But Tour by Van enables you to have a self-guided tour with an expert. This was the best tour we have ever experienced.

Visited May 2014

oregonian123 December 4th, 2014 10:26 PM

November 2014 - We thoroughly enjoyed Rudy's Tours by Van. He brought 4 vans for our party of 28. Our driver was Ruben and he was a very safe and good driver and we loved his commentary. Rudy himself went along in one of the vans and took videos of us as the day progressed. That was a nice surprise! All of the stops were well planned and we did not have to do any mandatory shopping stops like the cruise ship organized tours always have. I recommend Rudy's company to anyone traveling to Acapulco. He is very professional and upbeat, his drivers are topnotch, and we all had a great day. We had reserved seats in the shade for the High Cliff Divers and bottled water. We stopped at a beach side restaurant for lunch where they were waiting for us with open arms.
I will book Rudy's Tours every time I stop there on a cruise!

Fun for us Now November 14th, 2015 04:33 AM

Rudy Tour by Van

We just took a tour with Rudy of Rudy Tour by Van in Acapulco. I can highly recommend Rudy and his staff for a wonderful day of history and entertainment. His knowledge of Acapulco is amazing and we had a fabulous day with him, taking in a great lunch and the cliff divers.

We booked this over the internet and Rudy was very prompt and professional in his reply. He was there when our ship docked and and he had us back in plenty of time for departure.

The vans are very clean and Rudy had cold bottled water when needed.
Thank you Rudy and Staff - we had a fabulous day... go book Rudy now! :)

SCC Paula February 28th, 2016 08:30 PM

Definitely Book This Tour

We, 7 of us, just returned home from a Panama Canal cruise. One of the ports en route was Acapulco. I am so glad that I found Rudy while searching the internet. He offered a wonderful tour of Acapulco. He was very professional and our guide was very knowledgeable. They did not waste our time taking us to tourist traps. We got to see everything that was on our list and more. Rudy even prepared a slide show of photos from our tour. You will not be disappointed. Don't hesitate. Book this tour.

Sbarker March 15th, 2016 07:59 PM

Great guide

Used trip advisor to find information and found Rudy. One of the most professional tourist guide I have ever used. Booked a private tour on our cruise while in Acapulco. Could not have been happier with the great service. USE RUDY you want be disappointed. Thanks