Age to be considered an Adult?

rdh4190

Hi,

I booked a cruise with a TA for Enchantment of the Seas. When I received my documents my daughter who will just turn 13 right before the cruise is listed as an adult. Is this right?

I asked the TA and she said it didn't matter because the 3rd person in the room pays the same no matter if adult or child. However, when trying to book an excursion online she comes up automatically as an adult, I imagine since she is listed as that on the reservation. It just doesn't seem right to me, am I wrong?

I appreciate any ideas here.

I would question this. Prime example is your problem to book proper excursion prices. Have you turned in the dates of birth for those traveling? Our TA generates a statement that just says adult or child until the birthdates are called in to her. Revised statement then shows birthdates only. I assume she then calls them into Royal Caribbean. We have never ran into the issue you have with excursions. I sure would tell her your issue and that it can't be right. You can attempt to call Royal but they might not speak with you since you have a TA. Goodluck.

BonVoyage

Dawna

Thanks for your responses. The TA has the birthdates and I have called her but so far she can't give me an answer. Her last response was she needed to send it to her supervisor for clarification.

And Royal Caribbean said they couldn't get into the booking because it was through a TA.

I guess I wait for the answer but it looks like she just may be considered an adult.

Here is what I found on Royal's FAQ's page in shore excursions. Guess she is an adult now. ouch

1. Are there any specials or discounts for children or seniors?

Unfortunately, we do not offer discounts or alter published prices between sailings. All published tour prices are in effect throughout the season. Where applicable, children's shore excursion prices pertain to children 12 years of age and under. A parent or guardian must accompany guests under 18 years of age. We must adhere to any age restriction imposed by the tour operator, which is usually referenced within the tour description.

Infants ages 3 and under sitting on a parent's lap - 'lap babies' (not occupying a seat) are free on excursions. Tour tickets are not issued but once on board the vessel the shore excursion staff must be advised of the infant's participation accordingly.

Shore excursion pricing is directly linked into the booking reservation information. The Customer Service Department, (800) 529-6918, or your travel agent should be immediately advised of any guest age error existing within the booking to insure correct tour pricing.

BonVoyage

Dawna

My daughter's first cruise was ON her 13th birthday, so she was booked as an adult. If we would have left on the day before, she would have gotten the child's fare (fares are calculated by the day they come onboard....even those turning 18!) He next cruise is ON her 18th birthday (to celebrate her birthday and High School graduation), so she's happy she'll get to drink wine at dinner legally, and enjoy a glass of champagne for her birthday.

I love the way the cruiselines figure these things out!

Take care,

Jaime

Archived