Casablanca-Excursion with child

Kermia

Hi,

I hope, this is the right forum for my question now. I'm planning a cruise with my 6 year old daughter to Barcelona, Casablanca, Tenerife, Madeira, Malaga. Can anybody help me what we can do especially in Casablanca? Is there anything interesting for children in the town or something typical "Moroccan" I can show her? The tours to book don't seem very exiting for children and I don't want to sit in a bus for hours eek.gif... And is it possible (or maybe "dangerous") to go by foot from the ship into the town, what about taxis or busses? I read something about the Parc de la Ligue Arabe, is it worth for a trip with children?

I would be grateful for every tip also for the other destinations!

Kermia

Hi- I'm struggling to know what to do in Casablanca for us 2 adults! From what I've read on this forum people haven't felt very safe in Casablanca, so your best bet might be an organised excursion to somewhere like Rabat, that's not too far. Otherwise you could ask on Tripadvisor for first hand info.

I'm sure she will like the cable car/ toboggan in Madeira, and there's a big water park in Tenerife. In Barcelona, Parc Guell is very child friendly, with lots of weird and wonderful areas to explore, and all the "living statues" on the Ramblas are interesting. Many people go to Granada from Malaga, but that IS a long trip. Maybe you will get chance to go to Mijas, which is a pretty, quaint white hilltop village with donkey "taxis" and a variety of attractions.

kate

Kermia, we are heading to Casablanca ourselves at the beginning of April with threee kids, ages 3, 5, and 7. I have yet to find something in Casablanca that peaks my interest, keeping in mind the kids. So many of the shore excursions here tend to be long bus transfers, strolls through markets, which although interesting for a bit won't hold a childs interest long, and a lot of old architecture. Again, I would love to have time to stroll and enjoy, but the boys won't last.

The best suggestions I have found for Casablanca include the beach Ain Diab (not fabulous, but a beach nonetheless) (better beaches in Bouznika, half way to Rabat so about 45 km), the Hassan II mosque, and the Houbous market. I think it might be best to have a quick look around in Casablanca, head to the market for a quick look (I'm sure your daughter will enjoy the jewlery stalls, and a quick glance around the rest), maybe stop at the beach, and then return to the ship early. Perhaps a day onboard the ship might be more enjoyable- have the dining room and the pool to yourselves all day. Another option is to head to one of the resorts there; many offer day passes for you to use their pools and facilities (just a change of scenery from the ship). My understanding from speaking with a friend who used to be an entertainer onboard, is that many people leave their kids in the kids club at these ports - but I'm personally not comfortable doing that. It's one thing if you are going to stroll around the market in the port, but something completely different if you get on an eight hour bus tour. I keep meaning to ask at the kids club what they would do in an emergency, or if something happened and you didn't return to the ship in time to sail again, but never have.

Personally, we are having a one month holiday (we really are very priviledged to be able to do that) and so for this one day we want to remind the kids of how lucky we are. I have arranged to visit a local orphanage and take some supplies and donations to them. It's hard to get off the ship with much (customs issues), but we figure we can easily say we are just headed to the beach and carry off a few footballs, frisbees, etc. without drawing attention. I think this will be a great way for our kids to play with the children at the orphanage, and something we can leave behind. Also, we are working on gathering some small supplies that we can leave behind (toothbrushes and toothpaste for all the kids -even enough for 30 kids will fit into a backpack), and then will either give them a cash donation or stop at the market and purchase supplies for them.

Hope that you find something that peaks your interest, but with your other ports of call being great for kids, maybe this one is a good ship day!

Archived