Cruise Critic Message Board Forums

Cruise Critic Message Board Forums (https://boards.cruisecritic.com/index.php)
-   Cruise Critic News & Feature Articles (https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=445)
-   -   Which of Our Seven Favorite Cruise Flicks Do You Like the Best? (https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1365262)

CCShayne February 22nd, 2011 05:02 PM

Which of Our Seven Favorite Cruise Flicks Do You Like the Best?

With the Oscars just around the bend, we thought we'd share some of our favorite cruise-related flicks. Take a look at our slideshow and tell us which of our picks is your favorite. If you don't see one that suits your fancy, post your fave below.

Seven Seas, Seven Films: Cruise Critic's Favorite Flicks

Host Dan February 22nd, 2011 06:07 PM

Aw come on folks.... What about Speed 2? Hijacked Seabourn Legend... :D

Host Dan

BlondiesSailor February 22nd, 2011 11:00 PM

How could you not include "1900" with Tim Roth... Spectacular film! Don't miss the ballroom piano rolling scene... hilarious!
Trivia: Clarence Williams III (Remember Linc from Mod Squad?) plays Jelly Roll Morton, who in real life played saloons in the New Orleans district called Storyville during his youth, as did Williams' grandfather, Clarence Williams.

cancruisers February 22nd, 2011 11:07 PM

My vote goes to...

Great movie - Ship of Fools.

Vivian Leigh in one of her last roles.

HeinBloed February 23rd, 2011 01:03 AM

also forgotton: the most popular farewell-song: BYE BYE BABY sung by Jane Russel and Marilyn Monroe in the movie GENTLEMEN PREFER BLONDES (Diamonds are a girl best friends...)...

HeinBloed February 23rd, 2011 01:11 AM

also not listed: The former MAXIM GORKIJ (built as Hapag-Lloyd's HAMBURG) in

JUGGERNAUT...

UKBayern February 23rd, 2011 07:19 AM

The Legend of 1900!!!

UKBayern February 23rd, 2011 07:21 AM

Under Siege 2 is on a train and not on a ship at all. Under Siege 1 is not on a cruiseship but on a battleship.

William Dean February 23rd, 2011 10:37 AM

Why the ludicrously awful 1997 Titanic and not the far better "A Night to Remember"?

gatour February 23rd, 2011 10:40 AM

UKBayen, Yep, I was scratching my head on that one. While Under Siege 1 to me was enjoyable brain candy, Under Siege 2 was unbearable.

Nothing on the list really stands out to me. Well Titanic was well made, I was not particularly fond of it, because in essence you already knew how it was going to end.

I kind of like the remake of Poseidon with Kurt Russell

Dan Askin February 23rd, 2011 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UKBayern (Post 28064059)
Under Siege 2 is on a train and not on a ship at all. Under Siege 1 is not on a cruiseship but on a battleship.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gatour (Post 28065866)
UKBayen, Yep, I was scratching my head on that one. While Under Siege 1 to me was enjoyable brain candy, Under Siege 2 was unbearable.

Nothing on the list really stands out to me. Well Titanic was well made, I was not particularly fond of it, because in essence you already knew how it was going to end.

I kind of like the remake of Poseidon with Kurt Russell

Darn that pesky 2. Thanks for the heads up -- we've corrected the poll ... and added an "other - please post" option, which we're glad to see you guys are already utilizing.

pokyd February 23rd, 2011 12:04 PM

No Contest

In my opinion "An Affair to Remember" is one of the best!

Not to mention that it served as the model for "Sleepless in Seattle" remake...

Best cast and best three-hankie movie there is!

WesW February 23rd, 2011 12:04 PM

Voyage of the Damned, 1976 film based on "The story was inspired by true events concerning the fate of the MS St. Louis ocean liner carrying Jewish refugees from Germany to Cuba in 1939." Starred; Faye Dunaway, Lee Grant, Max Von Sydow..earned three Academny award nominations

CaroleLee February 23rd, 2011 03:47 PM

Sea Films

Quote:

Originally Posted by CCShayne (Post 28056873)
With the Oscars just around the bend, we thought we'd share some of our favorite cruise-related flicks. Take a look at our slideshow and tell us which of our picks is your favorite. If you don't see one that suits your fancy, post your fave below.

Seven Seas, Seven Films: Cruise Critic's Favorite Flicks

My list is oldies but goodies

The Last Voyage- Robert Stack, Dorothy McGuire, George Saunders- they actually sunk a ship.

Rome Adventure- Troy Donahue, Suzanne Plesette- in the first few scenes they are sailing from NYC to Rome. She has a standard cabin (basically the size of my 1st apartment) with soo many suitcases & trunks. Remember trunks?

Ship of Fools- a true story

I Was A Male War Bride- Cary Grant- last scenes are on a troop ship with Cary in drag as an Army Nurse

Life Boat- WWII life as a microcosim
Carole

3rd&4thT February 24th, 2011 10:15 AM

Yes, "The Legend of 1900," not "1900."

"The Imposters" with Stanley Tucci and Oliver Platt.

Sorry, I prefer "Love Affair" with Irene Dunne and Charles Boyer to the remake with Deborah Kerr and Cary Grant - a much better picture.

Also, "Shall We Dance" with Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire,
"The Navigator" with Buster Keaton,
"One Way Passage" with Kay Francis and William Powell,
"Between Two Worlds" with John Garfield and Sydney Greenstreet,
"Monkey Business" and "Night at the Opera" with the Marx Brothers,
"The Captain Hates the Sea" with John Gilbert and Akim Tamiroff,
"The Lady Eve" with Barbara Stanwyck and Henry Fonda,
"The Great Lover" with Bob Hope and Rhonda Fleming......

In classic Hollywood, all the major film studios had permanent standing sets for ocean liners. They not only were used in movie after movie, they were great places for executives to have noontime rendezvous with secretaries and starlets.

Cheers,
3rd&4thT

CaroleLee February 24th, 2011 10:43 AM

Sea Films

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3rd&4thT (Post 28079961)
Yes, "The Legend of 1900," not "1900."

"The Imposters" with Stanley Tucci and Oliver Platt.

Sorry, I prefer "Love Affair" with Irene Dunne and Charles Boyer to the remake with Deborah Kerr and Cary Grant - a much better picture.

Also, "Shall We Dance" with Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire,
"The Navigator" with Buster Keaton,
"One Way Passage" with Kay Francis and William Powell,
"Between Two Worlds" with John Garfield and Sydney Greenstreet,
"Monkey Business" and "Night at the Opera" with the Marx Brothers,
"The Captain Hates the Sea" with John Gilbert and Akim Tamiroff,
"The Lady Eve" with Barbara Stanwyck and Henry Fonda,
"The Great Lover" with Bob Hope and Rhonda Fleming......

In classic Hollywood, all the major film studios had permanent standing sets for ocean liners. They not only were used in movie after movie, they were great places for executives to have noontime rendezvous with secretaries and starlets.

Cheers,
3rd&4thT

Couldn't remember the title of the Garfield/Greenstreet film- an oldie but a goodie.
Agree about Marx Bro- especially for the Art Deco interiors.
It seems this thread should be subtitled "Turner Classics Lovers"
Carole

editor el exigente February 24th, 2011 11:53 AM

another good cruise movie

Now Voyager.

KirkNC February 24th, 2011 12:10 PM

Titanic, I just don't liek the ending :(

Kirk

TruckDriverFritz February 24th, 2011 12:58 PM

US Independence

took me back to our first cruise... US Independence run by the Hawaiian Cruise Line... was our 20th anniversary, wife is a teacher and we parlay'd a Hawaiian conference into a crusie... years before my parents sailed on the Independence so I thought it would be fun on a lot of levels...didn't have a clue and paid full rack rate for a "terrible" cabin... at check in they up-graded us about 6 levels because of how much we paid... turned out to be a fantastic cabin on the main deck... the Independence was built in the days of "class" bookings and was very hard to get around they built the ships to make it difficult to get from 3'd to 2'nd to 1'st class areas... about 900ft with 130 crew... why write this now... because it was used as the set for the movie An Affair to Remember and the film ran in a loop around the clock in a small projection room... always so glad we had the chance to cruise in the "old style" on a "real" ship......

leoandhugh February 24th, 2011 04:16 PM

My 2 favorites are "Ship of Fools" and "Lifeboat" because of the superb casts and wonderful acting in both. Tallulah in one and Viven Leigh in the other. Also memorable was "The Last Voyage" where they semi-sank the Ile d' France as she was making her last voyage to the ship breakers