Cruise Critic Message Board Forums

Cruise Critic Message Board Forums (https://boards.cruisecritic.com/index.php)
-   East Coast Departures (https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=415)
-   -   Best time to get to Cape Liberty port to avoid lines (https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1602711)

Rocky123 March 27th, 2012 10:21 AM

Best time to get to Cape Liberty port to avoid lines

Hi,

I will be leaving on a sold out cruise on the EOS out of Cape Liberty Port, NJ in April and I'm wondering when is the best time to arrive so I can avoid some of the lines and traffic getting in to the pier.

I live very close to Cape Liberty...

Thanks,

Rocky

marci22 March 27th, 2012 10:31 AM

We like to get there before 11am and we are one of the first groups on the ship.

noon-1:30pm is probably the most crowded time. After that, it gets less crowded.

LovesCruising March 27th, 2012 10:43 AM

We have found the traffic going into the port is best avoided if you arrive by 10:30 AM

Realtor at Sea March 27th, 2012 11:18 AM

We, too, like to arrive by 10:30 and be in the first groups on the ship. Will be on an April EOS cruise also. Can't wait. Will be our fifth trip on the EOS. So convenient to drive the 45 minutes to the port! :)

DonnaK March 27th, 2012 12:35 PM

We got there by 10:30am, and breezed right into the port, parked nice and close, checked in quickly, and were amongst the first people onto the ship.

Johnd6rose March 27th, 2012 12:52 PM

Best Time?

We have left from Bayonne a total of 6 times and arrive between 11:30 and 12:00 and been on the ship within a half hour of arrival. Those who say Bayonne is disorganised and would nevr cruise from there have probably never been there or have arrived at 9am when the previous cruise is still disembarking.:D

PattyG12 March 27th, 2012 12:54 PM

We found Cape Liberty completely organized and smooth. We got there about 10:45 and were on the shuttle bus to the ship by 11:15.

Rocky123 March 27th, 2012 01:55 PM

Thanks for all your input!!!!!

I appreciate it!

Rocky:D

bigmama9224 March 27th, 2012 02:13 PM

Going April 26th, 2012

Thanks for all this information i too will be on Ship on April,26th 2012.
So i will try to be ther at 10:30 am.

lakelorain March 28th, 2012 03:52 PM

Don't be put off by the traffic going into Cape Liberty. Once you get out of the car, things move at a good pace. There is a comfortable waiting room with refreshments where you wait for your bus to the ship. Boarding is usually painless unless there is a wedding. That delays boarding by about 15 to 30 minutes.

Momto5 March 28th, 2012 04:48 PM

We got there around 10, baggage dropped off, parked and checked in by 1030. Disembarkation of the previous cruise was slow, so we didn't get on until just after noon. Bring a book just in case.

I have cruised out of Miami and Fort Lauderdale. This was easy, well organized and probably our quickest check in yet. Everyone was extremely friendly!

LovesCruising March 28th, 2012 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Momto5 (Post 33101668)
We got there around 10, baggage dropped off, parked and checked in by 1030. Disembarkation of the previous cruise was slow, so we didn't get on until just after noon. Bring a book just in case.

I have cruised out of Miami and Fort Lauderdale. This was easy, well organized and probably our quickest check in yet. Everyone was extremely friendly!

I think Cape Liberty is great - I would rather get there early and sit in the waiting area then sit in traffic in the one way/out roadway! 10:30 is always my target time.

jt'scruisinmom March 29th, 2012 08:11 AM

When are you sailing? We're booked on the April 12th, our 6th time on the Explorer. We also get to the port between 10:30 and 11:00 and are enjoying lunch in the Windjammer, with a seat by the window, by noon. If you haven't already, sign up for your Meet and Mingle. Lots of nice fellow cruisers to answer any and all questions. Happy sailing.

regg1216 March 29th, 2012 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigmama9224 (Post 33082826)
Thanks for all this information i too will be on Ship on April,26th 2012.
So i will try to be ther at 10:30 am.

I will see you there!

B-52 March 29th, 2012 09:09 AM

Agree. We always get there and drop off our luggage at 10:30, then get the best parking spot right up in the front row by the terminal.
After we park, we take our time checking in, there's not much of a crowd. Always on the ship by noon the latest.
I've stood on my balcony and watched everyone else arrive, the long lines of cars, etc,.

sjcruiser April 1st, 2012 10:03 PM

Whether coming by personal vehicle or private car/shuttle service, the roads leading into the pier can get crowded around 12:00 until embarkation. We parked near EWR, and took a shuttle to the pier around 9:30-10:00, and traffic was starting to back up when we arrive at the port. We had a bit of a wait to get onboard, but the traffic was horrendous looking out from Windjammers at those just arriving.

bibbysnow April 2nd, 2012 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by regg1216 (Post 33109556)
I will see you there!

Hi Regina,

I guess I will see you again. We booked the cruise this morning. This time I am leaving Donnie home and traveling with my girlfriend. Donnie is glad to get rid of me for a while.

Barbara

misskittykat April 2nd, 2012 03:30 PM

details please

Quote:

Originally Posted by sjcruiser (Post 33166371)
Whether coming by personal vehicle or private car/shuttle service, the roads leading into the pier can get crowded around 12:00 until embarkation. We parked near EWR, and took a shuttle to the pier around 9:30-10:00, and traffic was starting to back up when we arrive at the port. We had a bit of a wait to get onboard, but the traffic was horrendous looking out from Windjammers at those just arriving.

Could you provide more details for this please? Was it airport parking? Was the shuttle free? Does it take you right to the port? What is the name of the parking area? TIA!

138east April 2nd, 2012 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by misskittykat (Post 33175766)
Could you provide more details for this please?

Was it airport parking? Most of the airport parking discussed on this board is the park/sleeps at various hotels.

Was the shuttle free? None of the shuttles are really "free" except maybe the Hampton Inn on Staten Island. Some hotels offer cruise packages but you pay for the shuttle through a higher room rate.

Two parking areas offer "free" shuttles - Park2Go in Elizabeth and Premier in Bayonne. Park2Go ends up being almost the same price as parking at the pier. Premier is new and has a limited track record.

Does it take you right to the port? Shuttles drop you off right at the porters at the cruise terminal.

What is the name of the parking area? TIA!

Are you llooking for a hotel as well? Tell us your cruise date, number of people, budget and any other considerations and we'll describe the options available to you. There are a number of choices out there that we don't recommend - Newark is a highly urban area and you must be selective about where you stay and/or leave your car.

misskittykat April 4th, 2012 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 138east (Post 33176188)
Are you llooking for a hotel as well? Tell us your cruise date, number of people, budget and any other considerations and we'll describe the options available to you. There are a number of choices out there that we don't recommend - Newark is a highly urban area and you must be selective about where you stay and/or leave your car.

Thanks 138East, I think we'll just park at the port. No, we are not needing a hotel as we are driving over from Pennsylvania. Only a 3 hour drive. I never thought of looking for options for port parking before this cruise as I didn't realize there were any. The more I think about the hassle of finding a parking option then waiting for a shuttle both on embarkation and disembarkation, its not worth the hassle to save a few bucks.