Cruise Critic Message Board Forums

Cruise Critic Message Board Forums (https://boards.cruisecritic.com/index.php)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=215)
-   -   Conquest ~ Tell me something (Good or Bad) (https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1622697)

OceanDreams April 26th, 2012 11:55 AM

Conquest ~ Tell me something (Good or Bad)
 
Conquest ~ Tell me something about this ship ... be it Good or Bad!

We are cruising in August to the Caribbean (doesn't really matter if it's the Western or Caribbean....just being on a ship) There is 3 of us .... all veteran cruisers. Myself 50+, son and his buddy both are 20. Our first choice was the Liberty with all the 2.0 changes...but after pricing everything out we can now cruise on the Conquest and save $1,000.00. We will be booking an aft balcony.

What I'm looking for is some of the pro's and con's about the Conquest ..... the "must do's" and "stay away from." Any information will help. Thanks in advance......

OceanDreams



firefly333 April 26th, 2012 12:02 PM

Sur Mer is missed by many. Its up those little steps in the BACK part of the back area of the buffet (the front buffet area above it is the steak pay restaurant). The sign is tiny to Sur Mer. Especially if the buffet is crowded, its a good place to go.

Cant say its my favorite ship, after being on it when Ike wiped out Galveston and my car, and the staff handled it so poorly.

Ive done it now 5 times .. and have two more booked ??!!! .. because it was a deal and I can drive.

The downside for some is this ship has no adult area if you like that. (like Glory for instance has, the next Conquest class ship built).

I like Mongolian BBQ for lunch but it closes at about 2:30 pm (later on port day some times), but I have missed it a couple of times, like I was in the casino doing the slot pull tournament or whatever. Its only open for lunch. Usually they only have shrimp as one of the meat choices the first day you board from what I have seen.

As far as I know this is one of the few ships that has draft beer in the sports bar offered if you are a beer drinker.

leedm April 26th, 2012 12:38 PM

We were on the Conquest Apr 15 - 22. We really liked the ship overall, the colors and design were not the in your face as some other Carnival ships. We found the ship to be very clean and in good condition. We had an aft warp balcony, and enjoyed it. The MDR service was great and the food was very good. Best food was in the Stakehouse. Never found the Lido deck crowed, but all the pool chairs were filled early each day. We had a big balcony so that did not matter. The Casino slots are very tight, usually I win a little but this week just fed the machines. We are booked on the Conquest again next year after it goes to dry dock.
Counting the days :D:D:D

The bad: we had to get off

leedm

daijayx2 April 26th, 2012 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leedm (Post 33522999)
We were on the Conquest Apr 15 - 22. We really liked the ship overall, the colors and design were not the in your face as some other Carnival ships. We found the ship to be very clean and in good condition. We had an aft warp balcony, and enjoyed it. The MDR service was great and the food was very good. Best food was in the Stakehouse. Never found the Lido deck crowed, but all the pool chairs were filled early each day. We had a big balcony so that did not matter. The Casino slots are very tight, usually I win a little but this week just fed the machines. We are booked on the Conquest again next year after it goes to dry dock.
Counting the days :D:D:D

The bad: we had to get off

leedm

I know the ship is getting the 2.0 upgrades but do you know if she is getting a serenity area? I am cruising in Feb and hoping for that upgrade during dry dock.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

znebul82 April 26th, 2012 12:49 PM

She is getting the Serenity area during her dry dock.

daijayx2 April 26th, 2012 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by znebul82 (Post 33523172)
She is getting the Serenity area during her dry dock.

Thank you very much.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tiffy0428 April 26th, 2012 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OceanDreams (Post 33522380)
Conquest ~ Tell me something about this ship ... be it Good or Bad!

We are cruising in August to the Caribbean (doesn't really matter if it's the Western or Caribbean....just being on a ship) There is 3 of us .... all veteran cruisers. Myself 50+, son and his buddy both are 20. Our first choice was the Liberty with all the 2.0 changes...but after pricing everything out we can now cruise on the Conquest and save $1,000.00. We will be booking an aft balcony.

What I'm looking for is some of the pro's and con's about the Conquest ..... the "must do's" and "stay away from." Any information will help. Thanks in advance......

OceanDreams




I will be on the Conquest August 19th there are 32 of us

tiffy0428 April 26th, 2012 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daijayx2 (Post 33523341)
Thank you very much.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


I thought you already had the Serenity Area

Runaway Parent April 26th, 2012 01:03 PM

We've sailed the Conquest 3 times, and loved her.

I agree with the poster that mentioned Sur Mer. Even if you don't eat the fish-n-chips, it's a great, quiet place to escape crowds for your meals. Also the best place to play cards or board games.

The staff has been very attentive every time on this ship, but that has been my experience on every cruise.

Hugh0906 April 26th, 2012 01:20 PM

Dry Dock etc?
 
When is the drydock scheduled?

Will they remove the Sur Mer and replace it with the Italian themed restaurant?


And lastly but slightly off topic, am I right in the floor plans of the Magic that Sur Mer has been replaced on the Magic and there is no longer the seafood place?


Thanks in advance.


Hugh0906

jgmpuma April 26th, 2012 01:40 PM

1. You get to visit New Orleans.
2. You cruise down the Missisippi.
3. The area at the rear of the Lido Deck (where the hottubs are) isn't officially a serenity area, but close to it. Few Kids, not usually crowded, and you are just steps away from where all the food is.

We have been on Conquest four times, and I can't think of anything negative.

firefly333 April 26th, 2012 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by znebul82 (Post 33523172)
She is getting the Serenity area during her dry dock.

Where did you get this information from?? As I have not seen it elsewhere. Do you have a link to this info?

I do have the 2.0 link and a serenity area is NOT mentioned.


http://www.carnival.com/Funville/blo...-schedule.aspx

This is what Carnival says will be added.

RedFrog Rum Bar
Blue Iguana Tequila Bar
Alchemy Bar
EA Sports Bar
Guy’s Burger Joint
Blue Iguana Cantina
Punchliners Comedy Club & Brunch presented by George Lopez
Hasbro, The Game Show
Playlist Productions
DJ IRIE

firefly333 April 26th, 2012 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh0906 (Post 33523664)
When is the drydock scheduled?

Will they remove the Sur Mer and replace it with the Italian themed restaurant?


And lastly but slightly off topic, am I right in the floor plans of the Magic that Sur Mer has been replaced on the Magic and there is no longer the seafood place?


Thanks in advance.


Hugh0906

It is true that Dream class never had Sur Mer and no plans to add it. Its usually so empty, maybe they decided it was not popular enough.

Magic also has the burrito bar and it has Tandori, Indian food, a much larger pizza place and other new items. Carnival cant have every single venue on every single ship.

OceanDreams April 26th, 2012 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firefly333 (Post 33522477)
Sur Mer is missed by many. Its up those little steps in the BACK part of the back area of the buffet (the front buffet area above it is the steak pay restaurant). The sign is tiny to Sur Mer. Especially if the buffet is crowded, its a good place to go.
Stupid question .... what type of food is served in the Sur Mer and is it only open for lunch? Cant say its my favorite ship, after being on it when Ike wiped out Galveston and my car, and the staff handled it so poorly.

Ive done it now 5 times .. and have two more booked ??!!! .. because it was a deal and I can drive.

The downside for some is this ship has no adult area if you like that. (like Glory for instance has, the next Conquest class ship built).

Thanks for the heads up on the lack of "Adults" only area....We were really looking forward to that. Even though the guys are only 20 we were hoping no one would really check. Being that there are only 3 port days we were looking forward to chill'in and soaking up the sun
I like Mongolian BBQ for lunch but it closes at about 2:30 pm (later on port day some times), but I have missed it a couple of times, like I was in the casino doing the slot pull tournament or whatever. Its only open for lunch. Usually they only have shrimp as one of the meat choices the first day you board from what I have seen. Great! We will have to put this on the "to check out" list. How was the slot tournament
As far as I know this is one of the few ships that has draft beer in the sports bar offered if you are a beer drinker.

Cool ... we are not big drinkers (thank goodness) but it's always great to have an ice cold draft beer on a hot sea day
OceanDreams


OceanDreams April 26th, 2012 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiffy0428 (Post 33523373)
I will be on the Conquest August 19th there are 32 of us

We were looking at August 19th or the 12th....leaning more towards the 12th. There really isn't much of a roll-call going on for the 12th -- YET. (haha)

Quote:

Originally Posted by leedm (Post 33522999)
We were on the Conquest Apr 15 - 22. We really liked the ship overall, the colors and design were not the in your face as some other Carnival ships. We found the ship to be very clean and in good condition. We had an aft warp balcony, and enjoyed it. The MDR service was great and the food was very good. Best food was in the Stakehouse. Never found the Lido deck crowed, but all the pool chairs were filled early each day. We had a big balcony so that did not matter. The Casino slots are very tight, usually I win a little but this week just fed the machines. We are booked on the Conquest again next year after it goes to dry dock.
Counting the days :D:D:D

The bad: we had to get off

leedm

We would love the wrap around balcony....but they don't accomodate 3 passengers. What deck were you on? Do you remember if there was very much overhead coverage on the balcony's?

OceanDreams

okgirl April 26th, 2012 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh0906 (Post 33523664)
When is the drydock scheduled? The last couple of weeks in October I think. I'm booked for the 8th time 9/30 and I think she has one more sailing before dry dock

Will they remove the Sur Mer and replace it with the Italian themed restaurant? No, they will keep Sur Mer, the Cocina del Capitano is not a 2.0 upgrage.

And lastly but slightly off topic, am I right in the floor plans of the Magic that Sur Mer has been replaced on the Magic and there is no longer the seafood place? On the Magic the Italian specialty restaurant is in the same general vicinity, but it's more like the Pasta place on the Dream rather than the open area of Sur Mer.

Thanks in advance.

Hugh0906

The Conquest is a great ship and my favorite class of ship, however now that I've sailed on the Magic, I'm quickly changing my mind.

firefly333 April 26th, 2012 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OceanDreams (Post 33525462)
Cool ... we are not big drinkers (thank goodness) but it's always great to have an ice cold draft beer on a hot sea day.

OceanDreams

I almost won the slot tournament last time, ahead until last few seconds. I could taste the win by then. Came in 2nd.

2nd time in the finals .. the first time I had the highest qualifying score and got a nice hat and the black tee shirt.

The last time I got a cheap white tee shirt only for coming in 2nd. Liked the black ones a whole lot better and they were better quality.

Sur Mer is only open for lunch and its fish and chips, but it had watermelon squares with seared tuna that I like a lot. Some kind of fish stew, think it has coconut in it, which Im allergic to, so never tried it. Deep fried oysters, were so so at best. They could improve it so they cook the fish better imo. I love fish and chips, just not their fish and chips.. but its very quiet up there to avoid a mob in the buffet and has lots of extra seating.

OceanDreams April 26th, 2012 03:41 PM

Firefly333 ~ (and anyone else)

Any good hotel recommendations?

OceanDreams

okgirl April 26th, 2012 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OceanDreams (Post 33525704)
Firefly333 ~ (and anyone else)

Any good hotel recommendations?

OceanDreams

If I'm going on the cheap I stay at the Howard Johnson's right off the highway on Harborside drive. About 2 miles from the pier. It's cheap, clean, decent breakfast and they have free cruise parking.

Other times we stay over where most of the hotels are on Seawall. It's on the gulf side of the island. I've stayed at the Quality Inn, the Hilton, Casa del Mar and the Inn at Waterpark. They also all have free cruise parking and some have a shuttle to and from the pier.

A cab to the pier for 2 people is around $20 and takes less than 10 minutes.

daijayx2 April 26th, 2012 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by okgirl (Post 33525849)
If I'm going on the cheap I stay at the Howard Johnson's right off the highway on Harborside drive. About 2 miles from the pier. It's cheap, clean, decent breakfast and they have free cruise parking.

Other times we stay over where most of the hotels are on Seawall. It's on the gulf side of the island. I've stayed at the Quality Inn, the Hilton, Casa del Mar and the Inn at Waterpark. They also all have free cruise parking and some have a shuttle to and from the pier.

A cab to the pier for 2 people is around $20 and takes less than 10 minutes.

Conquest is in NOLA now OKgirl.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:04 AM.

© 1995 - 2016, The Independent Traveler, Inc. All rights reserved.
"A Community of People Who Love To Cruise"
All of the information contained within Cruise Critic is protected by copyright. You may, however, download a single copy only for your personal use.