Just off Legend of the Seas - drowning in Marseille

I'm normally just a lurker here, but I feel compelled to ask if anyone has any more detail or has been able to find anything on the Internet about the drowning so many of us witnessed on Monday morning while docked in Marseille. I've thought about it every day since and would really like some answers on what happened but can't find any report anywhere.

I'm normally just a lurker here, but I feel compelled to ask if anyone has any more detail or has been able to find anything on the Internet about the drowning so many of us witnessed on Monday morning while docked in Marseille. I've thought about it every day since and would really like some answers on what happened but can't find any report anywhere.

Welcome to Cruise Critic. Very sorry to hear about a drowning, was it someone from a cruise ship?

Thanks for checking, I couldn't find anything either, hence my post.

I don't think it was someone from the ship, although when I saw the person in the water my immediate thought was it was one of the maintenance crew who had either fallen in or jumped and was messing around. He didn't look to be drowning and was only about 50 m from the next pier and the water seemed relatively calm, although its hard to judge from the windjammer on deck 9, but I couldn't understand why he didn't just swim across. It was only after he went under for the second time, sadly not to resurface, that the ship put out the "Oscar Oscar" call and a little boat was sent out to search for him.

The captain's announcement said that a passenger had reported seeing someone fall in the water from a passing ferry, but I hadn't noticed a ferry going by and I think I would have. Shortly before we saw him in the water a very small container ship, more like a barge had gone past and I think this must have been what he meant by "ferry", but neither my husband or I saw anyone fall in and we were both watching it sail past, so it's very confusing.

We watched for ages hoping against hope. Eventually a police boat appeared and joined the search and much later another boat with a diver on it. But they didn't find anything while we were watching.

When we returned to the ship later in the day there were about 10 police cars on the jetty and a boat with several divers was still searching. The captain made another announcement later on but I only heard part of it because we couldn't get the speaker to work in our cabin. I think he said the port authorities might delay our departure because of an incident. We ate in the windjammer that evening (we were fed up with the slow service and cramped conditions in MDR) and asked staff if they knew anything, but they hadn't heard anything either from the kitchen. As it was we sailed more or less on time and I still don't know if they managed to recover a body.

What a really sad and frightening memory to have from your vacation :(

Since you said "He didn't look to be drowning" and I am a water safety nut, I can;t help but take this opportunity to make sure everyone knows that drowning does NOT look like what we see in the movies or on TV.

Someone who is truly drowning does not thrash around in the water or call out. Drowning is a very still and very silent thing--it looks like someone calmly treading water.

Here is a good article about it, if you are interested in knowing what to look for in order to better protect those around you:

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/family/2013/06/rescuing_drowning_children_how_to_know_when_someone_is_in_trouble_in_the.html

I have no idea about how the French papers handle things and if this was even the case. Here in Canada if an accident is discovered to be a suicide there is never any report. Again not sure if that is the reason for the silence, just a possiblity.

Sorry you had to witness this on vacation. There are some things in life you just can't unsee, but do your best to not relive (if possible) as much as possible, try and trade it for good memories of the vacation

NHDisneylover thanks very much for that link. It is certainly a good message to get across and it answered some of the questions I had such as why he didn't call out or look to be struggling.

I had a great holiday, but this is one sad event that will stay with me for a very long time.

our friend was on the same cruise with his girlfriend. He came over last night and I asked about it. He also witnessed this tragedy but had not been able to find any other information--his girlfriend is French and he is fluent in french and neither turned up anything with google.

I am sorry that such a horrific thing mars you memories of the trip.

Thanks you to those of you who read the link--two of my students drowned over the years, both with watchful parents nearby. ever since i have been particularly anxious about water, an really wanted to get the word out about what drowning really looks like. That recent article conveys it really well, IMO.

Archived