A Few Extra Days for Final Payment..

Has anyone ever gotten a few extra days after their due date to make their final payment?

Final payment for my Aug cruise is due June 9, which I paid on Friday. However, there is a couple at work thinking of depositing the same cruise today or Monday, to lock in a PG rate, and then they need until June 12 to make the final payment. I told them to just book it on June 12, but they want to get it booked, like today or Monday. I thought about loaning them the $$, but shes a co-worker and would hate if it went south.

I thought about loaning them the $$, but shes a co-worker and would hate if it went south.

I have never received, nor have I heard of anybody getting, an extension for final payment.

I am not sure of the rest of your question though. Is it that they don't have the money today (or Monday) for the deposit?

As to the highlighted part above. DON'T . . . would be my only advice. Nothing comes between a friendship so badly (or as quickly) as money (loaned).

When we booked on our first cruise, we had an emergency come up and we called and spoke with carnival and they gave us several days. That was 3 yrs ago , not sure it would work now. But you might wanna call and ask.

On my first cruise, I had the same problem and I just called Carnival and they gave me 10 days, so I think if they just called and asked for the extension it would be ok.

Take it from someone who was stupid and had to learn the hard way, do not loan money to anyone and I mean anyone, especially today,

Thanks for the replys!

Doc-They have the $$ for the deposit now, but not the balance until June 12.

Do they have a credit card with enough of a limit to put the final payment on that?? No way they would be charged interset after only 5 days on the card.

Thanks guys...great responses. I just didnt know if it was even possible but it sounds like it could be if she talked to CCL.

Thinking further now, I will not loan them the $$...shes a friend and coworker but as you've all noted, that could be ruined over money for a cruise.

Do they have a credit card with enough of a limit to put the final payment on that?? No way they would be charged interset after only 5 days on the card.

Nope...asked them about that and they are maxed out. Which again, a good sign not to loan the $$.

Sorry, but that made me laugh. Sounds like your instincts are right about your friend.

LOL!! I was very surprised at her interest in taking the cruise altogether. A few months back, we offered them a free room coupon we had for the Peppermill in Reno..free room and they couldnt afford to go. OK fine, no judgement, but just wondering how this would work out, the cruise that is.

Nope...asked them about that and they are maxed out. Which again, a good sign not to loan the $$.

It's sounding like they really don't need to be taking a cruise if funds are that tight!

Good idea not to loan the money. Don't know if Carnival will give an extension or not this close to sailing.

The family that cruises with us never pay on the due date and, so far, have not had any issues. They pay a week or so later. Not sure why but ??????????//

good to know. Well, I am going to tell them to call Carnival on Monday to see about more time before they spend any money at all.

Sounds like other Cc'ers have had experience with an extention as well.

I have had my TA hold a cabin with Carnival before while we got everyone together to decide dates and check vacation schedules. I am sure that Carnival would do that and then they can pay it all at once. They are open 24-7 just call them. Another time I called and was debating about a cruise, but didn't have the $750 deposit until the next week - the Carnival agent said just put down $250 to hold the room. They seem fairly flexible. As far as the money goes this is the cheapest vacation there is- covering meals, lodging, transportation and entertainment to exotic foreign countries. You can always find something to give up to pay yourself first! I went on a cruise once and paid for my mom and daughter to go - I am a single mother -and then I lost my job 3 weeks later. But I NEVER regretted going on that cruise EVER!!!!:D:D:D

I have had my TA hold a cabin with Carnival before while we got everyone together to decide dates and check vacation schedules. I am sure that Carnival would do that and then they can pay it all at once. They are open 24-7 just call them. Another time I called and was debating about a cruise, but didn't have the $750 deposit until the next week - the Carnival agent said just put down $250 to hold the room. They seem fairly flexible. As far as the money goes this is the cheapest vacation there is- covering meals, lodging, transportation and entertainment to exotic foreign countries. You can always find something to give up to pay yourself first! I went on a cruise once and paid for my mom and daughter to go - I am a single mother -and then I lost my job 3 weeks later. But I NEVER regretted going on that cruise EVER!!!!:D:D:D

Wow Liz..that is really nice of you to take you mom too and I am sorry to hear about your job loss.

I guess the reason my friend is strapped is the budget cuts here in CA, her husband works for the state and got laid off but she hears me talking about cruises and I think she really wants to do it.

I am already paying for another kid to go with DD on this cruise so cant plunk out any more for my friend.

but yea, cruising is the best deal by far!

We couldn't afford our first cruise.. my mom and sister loved cruising and mom begged me to go on one with her. "maybe when we get the last two out of college in a couple of years." Than my mom pulled the old Irish guilt trip "I may not be here in a couple of years". So away we went. My SIL and BIL went with us. They couldn't afford to go either. Of course we were hooked and cruising became an annual event. Not an affordable one but an annual one.

In Feb 06 we (with my SIL and BIL) cruised on the Liberty and had a WONDERFUL time. Realistically the four of us should have been concentrating on our retirement funds or lack of.. Our cruise was in Feb, in May my BIL (59) was diagnosed with Pancreatic cancer and was gone by July. Forever, that cruise will be very special.

My SIL and I look back on that cruise and lots of other vacations, dinners, events, that we could not afford but did anyway. When we were younger and raising our families we both had sleepless nights worrying about money. But when it is all said and done we survived the money issues and most important we made some fantastic memories.

Sometimes you just need to let tomorrow worry about tomorrow.

We couldn't afford our first cruise.. my mom and sister loved cruising and mom begged me to go on one with her. "maybe when we get the last two out of college in a couple of years." Than my mom pulled the old Irish guilt trip "I may not be here in a couple of years". So away we went. My SIL and BIL went with us. They couldn't afford to go either. Of course we were hooked and cruising became an annual event. Not an affordable one but an annual one.

In Feb 06 we (with my SIL and BIL) cruised on the Liberty and had a WONDERFUL time. Realistically the four of us should have been concentrating on our retirement funds or lack of.. Our cruise was in Feb, in May my BIL (59) was diagnosed with Pancreatic cancer and was gone by July. Forever, that cruise will be very special.

My SIL and I look back on that cruise and lots of other vacations, dinners, events, that we could not afford but did anyway. When we were younger and raising our families we both had sleepless nights worrying about money. But when it is all said and done we survived the money issues and most important we made some fantastic memories.

cathyoo-I am sorry to hear about your brother in law.:( For sure, that cruise is filled with wonderful memories forever.

Guess I will find out Monday if we can swing a few more days for my friend and her DH to be able to pay and book their cruise.

How true!!

Thanks for your story!!

I am so sorry about your BIL! I have heard so many stories like this though. A girl at work took both of her parents on cruises several years ago. Now they are both in nursing homes and unable to travel - she said that she is soooo thankful that they went when they could physically go even though it was hard financially for her then. Another girl at work wanted to take her mom on a cruise, but she kept trying to find just the right one. She herself had never been on a cruise and was a little hesitant. Now her mother is very ill, and will never get to go. One of the new movies out - I think it was B Button - said the only thing we really have is our experiences in life. It came to me once when I was analyzing my dreams -where you can have or be anything you want- and I realized I never ever dreamed about money or having it. Instead I always dream of doing things and being with people. Hopefully that girl will get her cruise - gosh there are so many of them on sale - some as low as $150 per person.:D:D:D

Typically Carnival will extend your final payment due date or work with you on partial deposits but that is before final payment is due. Now that your cruise is past the final payment due date and in the pay in full portion they may or may not be so flexible. If they ship isn't filling they will work with her especially if it's only a few days.

You need to make sure she understands if she puts that deposit down then changes her mind before pay day she will lose $$, it's in the penalty phase now. I know Carnival will tell her but I would make sure she understands that well before she does it.

I also agree do not give her the $$, I say give because we know there's a good chance you'd never see it again if they are in a financial mess. I also agree that sometimes you just have to do something fun, even if you can't really afford it, you never know, it might be the last chance everyone has to do something together. That doesn't mean you should do it if you have to let your house or car get repo'd. I'm talking more like $$ is tight but you aren't going under.

You can get an extension to make a final payment, but not a deposit. In your co workers case, since you are past final payemnt the deposit is equal to the cruise fare so they are going to have to wait.

Before your friend gets in any deeper, does she realize all the other costs once onboard, tips, drinks etc and if the fuel surcharge will be implemented, will she be prepared to pay for this?

Also, you are smart not to lend her any money unless you're prepared to never see it again. I'm not saying she wouldn't pay you back but.........

It just sounds like they simply can't afford it.

Archived