Your Lucky Tours Tortuguero Canal Tour?

sr5242

I have booked a tour with your lucky tours for the tortuguero canal tour for $45 a person. Has anyone taken this tour? I am wondering if it only goes to the canal, or if it also includes the banana plantation?

Thanks!

thanks for the deeply thought out response.

yes, I did, and I have attached his response in case others like myself find his website less than thorough in it's description:

Canal tour include:

Fruit Stand

Banana plantation and packing house

Playa Bonita (Just 15 minutes from the pier)

A view point of the city

Shopping for coffee

We signed up for the YLT Tortuguero tour. This is part of the email that was sent back to us:

You will ride in air-conditioned comfort Van . For cruise customers I pick you up just outside the cruise terminal and return you in plenty of time for your ship’s departure. My tour starts with a visit to the Tortuguero National Park. This is one of the most biologically diverse places in Costa Rica, in essence a zoo in the wild. You will enjoy a one hour flat-form boat cruise as we make our way through the middle of the jungle observing sloths, monkeys, birds, iguanas, crocodiles, orchids and much more..all in their lush natural habitat.

Next we make a stop to sample delicious fresh fruits of the season and then we continue to a banana plantation where I will explain the growing process and exportation of this amazing fruit. The beautiful sandy beach of Playa Bonita invites us next for a swim and/or to enjoy lunch at either of two fine restaurants.

Our tour continues with photo stops at picturesque locations and concludes with a stop for some shopping, including some great bargains on genuine Costa Rican coffee.

This is a four-hour tour and the cost is only $45 per person

(You will visit a small farm of coffee)

• 3 weeks later...

This is very helpful.:)

We signed up for the YLT Tortuguero tour. This is part of the email that was sent back to us:

You will ride in air-conditioned comfort Van . For cruise customers I pick you up just outside the cruise terminal and return you in plenty of time for your ship’s departure. My tour starts with a visit to the Tortuguero National Park. This is one of the most biologically diverse places in Costa Rica, in essence a zoo in the wild. You will enjoy a one hour flat-form boat cruise as we make our way through the middle of the jungle observing sloths, monkeys, birds, iguanas, crocodiles, orchids and much more..all in their lush natural habitat.

Next we make a stop to sample delicious fresh fruits of the season and then we continue to a banana plantation where I will explain the growing process and exportation of this amazing fruit. The beautiful sandy beach of Playa Bonita invites us next for a swim and/or to enjoy lunch at either of two fine restaurants.

Our tour continues with photo stops at picturesque locations and concludes with a stop for some shopping, including some great bargains on genuine Costa Rican coffee.

This is a four-hour tour and the cost is only $45 per person

(You will visit a small farm of coffee)

A group of 6 of us did a tour in Costa Rica with Your Lucky Tours on 10th January and I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS COMPANY. We were put on a rickety old bus that had no suspension with a driver who had limited English and a 20 year old student "guide" who had very little knowledge, was not a professional guide, and was just along for the ride. No sign of Eduardo throughout the tour. The "guide" had no idea of timescales and at the last stop - the banana plantation we were too late and they were closing up for the day.

We went to the Jaguar Rescue Centre which was lovely and Cahuita National Park which we also enjoyed, despite the awful transport and lack of a guide who could tell us about the plants and animals that we saw.

If you want a properly guided tour in a decent, safe vehicle, do not use Your Lucky Tours.

• 4 weeks later...
A group of 6 of us did a tour in Costa Rica with Your Lucky Tours on 10th January and I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS COMPANY. We were put on a rickety old bus that had no suspension with a driver who had limited English and a 20 year old student "guide" who had very little knowledge, was not a professional guide, and was just along for the ride. No sign of Eduardo throughout the tour. The "guide" had no idea of timescales and at the last stop - the banana plantation we were too late and they were closing up for the day.

We went to the Jaguar Rescue Centre which was lovely and Cahuita National Park which we also enjoyed, despite the awful transport and lack of a guide who could tell us about the plants and animals that we saw.

If you want a properly guided tour in a decent, safe vehicle, do not use Your Lucky Tours.

We ( group of 6 ) just finished a tour with Lucky Tours Feb 2011 and had a fantastic time and service. We had Eduardo along with his son. The son did the driving which left Eduardo time to talk and spend with us. They did pick us up in a 9 seater airconditioned van. Eduardo was VERY knowledgable and we had a great time. We even stopped at the beach and shopping for no extra charge. I WOULD RECOMMEND THIS TOUR OPERATOR . if worried just ask to make sure he will be doing the tour.

Enjoy your time in Costa Rica it is beautiful

I emailed Your Lucky Tours with questions and was VERY SURPRISED one night when I received a call from Eduardo. He answered my questions and all emails were responded to quickly. We were met at the fence - you have to walk past the shopping area by Eduardo who introduced us to Michael - our VERY nice guide for the day. We wanted to go zip lining and do the canal tour. Had no interest in the banana plantation, but heard from other people it was quite interesting. Eduardo showed up after zip lining to make sure we had enjoyed ourselves. All in all, very pleased with the tour, but would probably pass on the canal tour if ever back since we had since much of the same wildlife the day before in Panama. The ride wasn't the most comfortable since we were 4 of us plus Michael in a taxi type car, but he explained to us that he has to rent his own car and then gets paid by whoever has hired him for the day. He was a very careful driver, had air conditioning - the back seat was just a little squished with 3 of us. Enjoyed the day - back in plenty of time - and Michael even gave us an extended tour of the city as we had extra time and it had started to rain so we just drove around awhile until it let up.

I'm sure not everyone has a pleasant time or some people may just be hard to please. You will have to read and decide for yourself who you want to go with. Enjoy and HAVE FUN!

Just came back from a cruise on the Equinox and used Lucky Tours in Puerto Limon. Had a fun and informative tour with Eduardo and would definitely recommend him. He even made the stop at the fruit stand interesting by explaining the different fruits and giving us samples. For an overview of the area and to get a chance to see some of the wildlife it was certainly a worthwhile tour. If you want something more extensive you have to plan a longer tour that goes much further into Puerto Limon but this tour was definitely worth the time and money.

We were with Eduardo on the same tour (Equinox 2/7-2/18). It was just as advertised and even more. Eduardo has an abundance of knowledge and a great sense of humor. We had all kinds of samples at the fruit stand. The water apples were a first for all of us! At the Del Monte banana plantation stop we learned to have a greater appreciation for bananas after seeing them growing and being prepared for shipment. Going down the canal we saw sloths, lizards, caimans and a howler monkey. A busy four-hour tour was just right for us and a great bargain for $45.

We did a tour with Eduardo on 2-14-11 and had an excellent tour. Our tour was $85 pp and included a short walking tour of the park and beach around the pier, a stop at a fruit stand, ziplining at Cedar Valley Ranch, canal boat ride (during which we saw sloths, howler monkeys, an iguana, Jesus lizard, crocodile, and many species of birds and butterflies), banana plantation, lunch at Playa Bonita, and a stop to buy coffee.

Based on Cruise Critic postings regarding cramped taxis, I advised Eduardo that two members of our group of four were tall and/or large. He arrived in a multi-passenger bus that was air-conditioned and in good repair. Eduardo spent the day with us. We found him to be personable, knowledgeable about his country and a great guide. I would tour with Eduardo again.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

March 31, 2012

Today we arrived in Costa Rica, and were met by Eduardo, of Your Lucky Tours

(yourluckytour.com) He had a 23 seat air condition van waiting for us. We had 22 people off of our ship, including 4 vision impaired, and he accommodated everyone. Eduardo was very informative, and pointed out many sights as we travelled the road to the Tortuguero Canal. Our driver was constantly looking for wildlife as he (safely) drove us along the roads, and we stopped to see Howler Monkey's that were in the trees above us. We stopped at a roadside fruit stand, and were shown where some of the fruits were grown, including Cashews. We went to the Del Monte banana factory and observed how the banana’s go from tree, to being shipped to the stores where we purchase them.

Arriving at the Tortuguero Canal, Eduardo made sure that everyone was seated aboard the open sided boat. We went slowly down the Canal, stopping to see and take pictures of the small blue heron, a three toed sloth, toucan, iguana, small alligator, a Jesus Christ lizard, and many Birds. We continued on to the Cedar Valley Ranch, where some of us took the opportunity to go zip lining through the jungles. The rest of the tour group went on a nature walk to see many interesting sights. Zip lining was truly an exhilarating experience going long distances, and very fast. 11 lines in all.

Overall, it was a fantastic tour, and Eduardo was a very informative guide. The tour was well worth the money, and I would do it again, the next time I am in Costa Rica. Great job Eduardo!!!

Archived