Which deck? motion sickness

teacherme

Research on this had told me lower middle, but I have not actually been on a cruise ship. All cruise ships do have stabilzers which do help. It does depend a little on where you are going. I have heard the Atlantic and the waters around Tahati can be rough.

Please be aware Teacherme, if you do end up on the lowest deck and if you are lucky enough not to be above the engine room, bow thrusters, or propulsion, I have heard that there are storage rooms and the crew makes lots of noise moving stuff.

I get very motion sickness. Where would be the best place to be on the ship? I know the middle of the ship but closer to the top or the bottom?

I also get VERY motion sick. On our first cruise (RCCL Explorer) we were on the 8th deck (I considered that high on the ship) towards the aft. We left out of florida and there really wasn't much motion at all. I took bonine and was comfortable the entire time. I did feel the most motion at the front of the ship especially in the theater. 2nd cruise, same size ship (NCL Dawn) left out of NY, an aft cabin on the 9th deck (high again). Didn't feel a lot of motion except for one night when it was real windy. The ship rocked and rolled and it was hard to walk but I was ok on the bonine. Again, I felt the most motion at the front.

I would never book a cabin at the front since I was so sensitive to the motion there.

If the seas are rough you will feel it all over the ship! As long as you take preventative motion sickness meds you should be fine. I start taking it a day before I board and then continue through until a day or two after we are home. works like a charm for me!!

Enjoy cruising - Don't let the fear of motion sickness deter you!!

~Connie

Please be aware Teacherme, if you do end up on the lowest deck and if you are lucky enough not to be above the engine room, bow thrusters, or propulsion, I have heard that there are storage rooms and the crew makes lots of noise moving stuff.

Not in my experience.

I have never heard any noise other than the anchor being dropped. That was my first cruise and it was on Carnival Jubilee. There is only one ship left from that class (Holiday). We were in cabin R7, so we were all the way forward.

Yes, there can be noise/motion from the thrusters, but that will probably be felt not just on the lower deck.

I've been midship on several ships and in a couple different ship classes and felt nothing when docking and have never heard ANY noise from the crew deck below.

If you do a search, you'll find many, many recommendations for both where to book on the ship and what to take to help you with the problem.

You can also Google for "seasick remedies" and get lots of good info.

Since I added Ginger root, I have had no problems, and I've suffered from motion sickness my entire life.

Again, this subject comes up frequently. The advanced search works well. You just have to figure out what combination of search parameters to use.

try to get a room a few decks above the crew areas but not near the top of the ship. on top u will feel the rocking more. when u feel sick, dont lay down. this makes u feel the rocking even more and i would recommend for u to buy the motion sickness bands. they are a lifesaver!

My husband and I are first time cruisers - sailing on NCL Dawn - March 21/09. I'm a little worried about seasickness and plan to buy seabands. Bonine makes me groggy, so does gravol. What about patches - do they work?

My husband and I are first time cruisers - sailing on NCL Dawn - March 21/09. I'm a little worried about seasickness and plan to buy seabands. Bonine makes me groggy, so does gravol. What about patches - do they work?

bonine lasts for 24 hours. If it make you groggy take it before bed. You'll sleep like a baby and still be covered the rest of the day. :)

I was told the lower the better and also that staying middle too. I'm so prone to motion sickness, none of that helped. I took 1 bonine tab with 2 ginger root tabs in the morning (at breakfast) and 1 bonine tab with 2 ginger tabs at night (when I finished dinner, which we had late seating), and I was good to go. It said on the box you could take 1 or 2 tabs so I decided to take 2 tabs and split the dose. It didn't make me feel too sleepy, or at least not enough for me to notice. Well, truthfully, I did a lot of sleeping but I can't contribute it to the bonine.

I don't think it matters which deck top or bottom. The size of ship matters much more. I do agree with the previous posts though. It always seems like you can feel rocking in the theatre at night (On any ship). Maybe because at night the ship is traveling much faster? Heck, I get car sick, and can't go on any amusement ride without getting sick. But do not get sick on cruise ships.

I get seasick as well. Last February we sailed on a four night cruise to the Bahamas with RCI. Our cabin was on Main deck and toward the front. After the first night I felt terrible. I knew from previous experience that I cannot tolerate the patches. I had double vision when I used them...very uncomfortable. I tried Bonine and it made me terribly drowsy. I took it at night but I felt out of it all day long. I finally used an elastic bracelet and that helped a great deal. But you have to make sure you wear them correctly.

This time I am going to wear the bracelets from day 1! Our ship is bigger and we are booked low in the ship, midship, so probably won't be a problem. Getting seasick really ruins a cruise for me. I am going to try to prevent it. I think I will also try the ginger tabs mentioned here.

Archived