Motion sickness shot????

TheDINGOateMyBaybay!

A shot for motion sickness??? You'd be better off taking something orally (Bonine, Dramamine) that would prevent motion sickness, unless you are so nauseated that nothing will stay down. . A shot would be an anti emtetic such as Zofran, Reglan, Decadron, Anzemet or Phenergen. It helps prevent nausea but not long term.

You would have to go to the infirmary to get the shot. You surely don't want to be getting a bunch of shots. Take Bonine, 25 mg each night and you should be good to go.

What are you charged if you require the shot? Do they just come to your cabin and NOT charge you for an office visit (only the shot cost).

On that note what is the charge for an office visit..

One of my friends said they charge you $120.00 for a shot (this was after he was WAY sick from the motion) so I imagine it was a glorified Gravol shot.....dunno

I was just curious because I called last time on the last night of my cruise as I was very sick. Turned out it wasnt motion sickness, and more of something like the flu. Front desk was going to call the RN, but i didn't wanna cause a stir.. anyhow, i was eating up dramamine that night and called to ask about the shot as i could not stop upchucking, lol. i have never had any type of motion sickness before..ever, ever, ever

anywhoo, i was just asking for curiositys sake. just wondering for future reference...if one gets sick enough to visit the doc, what is the charge? the only reason i have even heard there was a mystery "shot" was because I read about it on CC..

A shot for motion sickness??? You'd be better off taking something orally (Bonine, Dramamine) that would prevent motion sickness, unless you are so nauseated that nothing will stay down. . A shot would be an anti emtetic such as Zofran, Reglan, Decadron, Anzemet or Phenergen. It helps prevent nausea but not long term.

You would have to go to the infirmary to get the shot. You surely don't want to be getting a bunch of shots. Take Bonine, 25 mg each night and you should be good to go.

I was just curious because I called last time on the last night of my cruise as I was very sick. Turned out it wasnt motion sickness, and more of something like the flu. Front desk was going to call the RN, but i didn't wanna cause a stir.. anyhow, i was eating up dramamine that night and called to ask about the shot as i could not stop upchucking, lol. i have never had any type of motion sickness before..ever, ever, ever

anywhoo, i was just asking for curiositys sake. just wondering for future reference...if one gets sick enough to visit the doc, what is the charge? the only reason i have even heard there was a mystery "shot" was because I read about it on CC..

My friend needed the shot on Mariner. She went to the infirmiry, and they didn't charge her anything at all (which suprised me). It did knock her out for 24 FULL hours though, so be prepared for that. However, if you're that sick, you won't care if you are passed out, it will be a relief. The shot was phenergan, by the way. When she "woke up", she was fine the rest of the cruise, no more motion sickness at all.

As someone said, don't rely on the shot, you could miss an entire day of your vacation. Start with the over the counter meds, or even the patch, and take ginger tablets too (I take 3 tabs, twice per day, morning and night). Use the shot as a last resort, especially if Carnival charges $120 for it! Yikes. My cabinmate on Sensation was SO seasick, threw up all night (along with many other pax), and I'm sure she would have paid $1000 for that shot, lol. I'd been taking Bonine the entire cruise, and felt fine.

I take the non-drowsy Dramamine, and that lasts 24 hours. I have been real pleased with it. After getting a little nauseous in the small plane we left on one time, I realized that it helps me to begin taking them a day or two ahead. That may not be necessary, but I don't want to waste time feeling bad.

There is no "mystery" shot. It's what I stated before an anti emetic (nausea). It helps control nausea. Sounds like you had a touch of the flu on that last trip. As far as the charges I can't help you there. I do know Zofran is very expensive and many insurances won't cover a perscription for it, because there are other things that can be used. It works well though. Phenergen works also but will knock out. It's also linked with some nasty side effects. Anyway I'm getting into stuff that doesn't matter.

It definately matters and I really appreciate the info. I have had Phenergen before and you are right, knocked out cold, and it seems to keep you drowsey for quite a while. Thanks so much.

There is no "mystery" shot. It's what I stated before an anti emetic (nausea). It helps control nausea. Sounds like you had a touch of the flu on that last trip. As far as the charges I can't help you there. I do know Zofran is very expensive and many insurances won't cover a perscription for it, because there are other things that can be used. It works well though. Phenergen works also but will knock out. It's also linked with some nasty side effects. Anyway I'm getting into stuff that doesn't matter.

I guess my experience was rather unique! (and lucky).

I took Bonamine every night, and it worked wonders. However I think I got food poisoning in Belize (wonderful buffet served by volunteers on our hiking trip, probably not the best idea though...) I was VERY sick for the last two days and finally broke down to head to the infirmary. The nurse there gave me some sample packages of Xanax and sent me back to my cabin - no charge. Now it didn't really help, but at least I didn't have to pay. I guess I got a really nice nurse that day!

I guess my experience was rather unique! (and lucky).

I took Bonamine every night, and it worked wonders. However I think I got food poisoning in Belize (wonderful buffet served by volunteers on our hiking trip, probably not the best idea though...) I was VERY sick for the last two days and finally broke down to head to the infirmary. The nurse there gave me some sample packages of Xanax and sent me back to my cabin - no charge. Now it didn't really help, but at least I didn't have to pay. I guess I got a really nice nurse that day!

Xanax is an anti anxiety medication. Make you feel really nice but won't help nausea a bit.

Well, I took 3 boxes of Bonne with us. I didn't even open the boxes. We had some rocky seas just a little, but we did not require any medicine. Our cabins were mid ship on deck 2. That seem to be a very good location. We did not feel any movement at night.

Well, I took 3 boxes of Bonne with us. I didn't even open the boxes. We had some rocky seas just a little, but we did not require any medicine. Our cabins were mid ship on deck 2. That seem to be a very good location. We did not feel any movement at night.

I am in this position. I have no idea whether I will get seasick or not. I go on boats in the Chesapeake bay all the time and never get sick but I can't stand roller coasters. I really don't know if I will be one of the people who need meds or not. I hate the idea of taking them if I don't need them, but I keep reading that they have to be taken a head of time or they won't help in the least. So.....I can either take meds that could make me drowsy and prevent something that I might not even have or I can not take them and risk getting sick and not being able to stop it. So go figure. What is ya'lls advice....take meds or don't?

I am in this position. I have no idea whether I will get seasick or not. I go on boats in the Chesapeake bay all the time and never get sick but I can't stand roller coasters. I really don't know if I will be one of the people who need meds or not. I hate the idea of taking them if I don't need them, but I keep reading that they have to be taken a head of time or they won't help in the least. So.....I can either take meds that could make me drowsy and prevent something that I might not even have or I can not take them and risk getting sick and not being able to stop it. So go figure. What is ya'lls advice....take meds or don't?

Bonine is non drowsy as is Ginger. They both help me A LOT and I get sick on swing sets! :(

I agree, take them a couple days before your trip and your good to go! They don't have side effects, and it's better to prevent it right??

Happy Sails! :)

Very first cruise hubby and I went on (back in the 80's on the Carnivale) I had the worst case of sea-sickness I've ever had. I looked green. Hubby had assured me that in larger vessels (yeah, at that time the Carnivale seemed like a "larger" vessel! *L*) I would never feel the motion of the seas. Ri-i-i-i-i-ight.

Anyway, a crew member noticed I did NOT look well, and suggested we call the ship's doctor and request a shot for sea-sickness. Couldn't tell you, now, what it was, or how much (if anything) it cost. All I know is I returned to our room, a nurse showed up, gave me the shot and in 20 minutes I was up and about as if NOTHING had happened, and I had my sea legs for the entire 7-day trip. Nothing else, just the shot. I was never drowsy from it, it didn't "knock me out" all it did was....well....make the motion sickness go away.

Now I just take non-drowsy Dramamine, starting the morning of our sailing, at least. And continue for at little while, depending on how smooth the sailing seems. Either I'm getting more used to it, or lately our cruises have been smooth sailings, because on our 12-day Med cruise this past May I only took Dramamine the first half of the cruise, and forgot about it entirely the second half. And on our recent 3-day cruise to Ensenada I took it the first day and forgot about it. No problems.

I'm a very motion-sickness prone person! On our very first cruise we "luckily" got a table that was right next to a window in the dining room... I got to sit facing the window and watching the horizon bobbing up and down... it was lobster night and needless to say, my husband got to eat mine!! I started taking the "non" drowsy dramamine and got over the motion sickness but I was tired for the whole cruise. The non-drowsy made me drowsy. My husband wanted to go off and do things on the boat, all I wanted to do was curl up in the bed and sleep...

SO for my next cruise, I decided that I'd rather feel a bit motion sick and be able to experience things on the boat, rather than feel fine and sleep through the whole cruise... as luck would have it, it was a nice smooth sail and I didn't need the dramamine at all anyway!! (YAY!)

This time around, I'm planning on getting some ginger pills... I might start taking them a couple of days before we set sail... if that would help them work better.

Seriously, I can't watch the traffic going across in front of me in an intersection without starting to feel sick to my stomach!!! (and I used to LOVE to go on roller coasters and stuff when I was younger!! can't do that anymore!!)

Archived