Seattle smoke and public health concerns

GettingYouThere

If you're traveling to Seattle any time between now and next week, be sure to look at the forecast regarding haze from the BC forest fires. The smoke is a health hazard to people with asthma, as well as children and older adults.

I drive a shuttle, and I'm astonished how often I pick up cruisers who have no idea about it.

As a local coping with the smoke, here's my advice:

* Don't walk more than two or three blocks without stopping indoors somewhere for ten to fifteen minutes.

* If you have an inhaler but rarely use it, keep it on you at all times.

* Get the uber and lyft apps even if you don't plan on using them, in case you find yourself in a hurry to get back to your hotel.

* Recognize that right now the view from the Space Needle is affected by the haze

Attractions made worse by the haze:

Olympic Sculpture Park

Space Needle

Ducks/other riding tours

Waterfront

Pike's Market

Attractions unaffected by the haze:

Underground Tour

Museum of Popular Culture

Chihuly

Museum of Popular Culture

Most shopping destinations

According to the National Weather Service the smoke should begin to clear Thursday night into Friday due to a cooling trend and increased southernly air flow. Also a 50-50 chance of rain Sat night into Sunday. Cooler with highs in the 70's vs the 80's for the last couple of weeks.

52 days with no rain - a new record!

In Vancouver they are telling us that the smoke will begin to clear Saturday and that we could get a touch of rain on Sunday.

I have lived here 25 years and have never experienced anything like the way it has been for the past few weeks.

The wind is coming out of the WSW this morning and I just got this:

... Air quality alert for western Washington has ended...

The high pressure system responsible for trapping wildfire smoke

over western Washington for over a week was just east of the area

and will continue moving east. This has resulted in improved air

quality. Strengthening westerly flow in the lower to mid levels of

the atmosphere will help push the smoke out of the area for steadily

improving conditions. Thus, the air quality alert is no longer in

effect.

• 3 weeks later...

We now have smoke from fires in Eastern Washington covering the city and ash falling in the suburbs. This is far worse than the previous round and could stick around for weeks if we don't get rain.

Please take this seriously if you have breathing issues. Take it easy walking around and consider packing a face mask.

We now have smoke from fires in Eastern Washington covering the city and ash falling in the suburbs. This is far worse than the previous round and could stick around for weeks if we don't get rain.

Please take this seriously if you have breathing issues. Take it easy walking around and consider packing a face mask.

I'm in Bellingham (1.5 hrs north), and we have the same up here minus the ash fall. Sky has been a crazy orange/yellow/gray all day today. And I'm one of "those" folks with breathing issues -- puffer at hand, nebulizer on stand-by. Keeping my fingers crossed that it will ease up before next Monday (Sept 11) -- I'm taking Amtrak down to Seattle to board my first ever cruise -- Holland America, 2 weeks, Alaska. At least I'll be getting out to sea and (hopefully) away from this for awhile.

Lana in Bellingham

I'm in Bellingham (1.5 hrs north), and we have the same up here minus the ash fall. Sky has been a crazy orange/yellow/gray all day today. And I'm one of "those" folks with breathing issues -- puffer at hand, nebulizer on stand-by. Keeping my fingers crossed that it will ease up before next Monday (Sept 11) -- I'm taking Amtrak down to Seattle to board my first ever cruise -- Holland America, 2 weeks, Alaska. At least I'll be getting out to sea and (hopefully) away from this for awhile.

Lana in Bellingham

Hey Lana...I'm in Sudden Valley and the smoke seems to be captured over Lake Whatcom and Lookout Mountain. Thankfully, I think we are supposed to get some rain soon which should help with the fires and the smoke. Hope you have a great time as you travel North to Alaska!!!