Six hour layover in JFK - what to do?

critterchick

Some friends of mine have a flight from LAX to Capetown, South Africa, via JFK, in a couple of weeks. They are on a redeye to JFK, then have a 6-hour layover until their flight to Capetown (all on Delta, and I don't think there's a terminal change). They asked me what they could do with that amount of time, and I am stumped. All I've ever done is go from the airport to CT.

Is there any sightseeing they could realistically do while they're in New York? I'm thinking that 6 hours is too long to sit in the airport, but also too short to accomplish anything, since they really only have 4 hours before they have to be going through security. And that's assuming that the LAX-JFK flight is on time. But if there's something to see that wouldn't take too much time, they'd love to make the most of their time there.

Thank you for any suggestions!

Can't think of much - takes around 45 minutes by air train and train to get to manhattan and what would you do with your luggage ? Since you need to get back to the airport a couple of hours before your flight, doesn't give you much time. Sorry !

Larry

If there luggage is checked through to Cape Town there is not much they can do at JFK; however, they may be able to take a cab to Flushing Meadow which is a nice park to walk around and I think there is a zoo there.

Not enough time to go to Manhattan

Couple of ideas-on the weekend-go to Coney Island or Brighton Beach (Little Odessa). The Belt shouldn't be too crowded early in the morning on a weekend. It's about 16 miles from JFK. And if they have never been to Moscow, Brighton Beach is a good facsimile.

Or they could even rent a car and head the other way-East out Ocean Dr. towards Fire Island and the Hamptons. Nice drive early in the morning along the coast.

Not enough time to make it into Manhattan and actually see anything.

Thanks for the replies, which confirmed what I thought.

I'm sure they won't want to drive anwhere - SA drives on the English side of the road. This is their first trip out of the country, first airplane ride, even, so it's all been quite an adventure for them already. I think I'll tell them to look into the Crown Club (is that Delta's name for their lounge?) for a day pass if they want to be comfortable while they wait.

Archived