Travel agent gifts when you cruise

MaryAnn261

We've been on cruises each of the last 2 years. Each was booked thru local travel agents ( 2 different agencies ). Each arranged a gift for us, including a surprise birthday cake and several bottles of wine. From our perspective, its a 100% gift rate.

These little gestures build loyality from clients and encourage repeat business. Cruise #3 is booked thru the lovely lady who arranged the birthday surprise :) . We are fortunate to have found a person we like and are able to work with to make our travel plans. We may pay a little more than others, but we are happy with the service she provides and the comfort of a friendly voice on the phone is well worth the extra cost.

For our Alaska cruise we got a basket with Alaska mugs, coasters, and other alaska things in it. We got an anniversary cake on one cruise paid for by the TA. And two times she ordered us wine and we never got it. We didn't know she had ordered it until we got back and found out to late.

We don't use traditional TAs for cruises (just book online), but I used one for a very complicated land-based trip we're taking in a very unspoiled (read: pure jungle) place where transportation and lodging are quite an adventure. I plan to send HER a gift when we get back for all her hard work!

Unfortunately, mine did nothing. I booked 4 cabins (3 balcony and an inside) so, she probably received a pretty nice commission. Too bad I am planning a family reunion cruise to Alaska in 2007 but I will not use her again.

This is a great thread. I booked 3 cabins (two were suites) on our spring HAL cruise and she sent two bottles of wine to each cabin. It was the first time I had used her (recommendation from this board). We just returned from our POAm cruise in an Owner's Suite and we didn't receive anything. To be honest, I was alittle disappointed. We cruise or vacation at least twice a year and I'm contemplating moving to someone who appreciates our business.

As I found out sometimes they send things and you never would know because you don't receive them. My TA happens to be the sister of a friend and my friend said " my sister wanted to know if you enjoyed the wine she sent" and that's how I found out we never got it. So you may have been sent something and just never got it.

As a TA, I can guarantee you I do send something, but I also feel the service you get from your TA is more important then the bottle of wine, OBC or whatever. As for not always knowing if the gift if received, usually we do get a thank you from our clients, but I had some on the Sun Thanksgiving week and have no idea if they got their gifts as I have not heard a word. Warning, I don't blame you for thinking it is a nice jesture for your TA to think of you, but be sure and thank him/her when you return so they know if the gift got to where it was supposed to go. NMnita

I've never received anything from my TA while on board, and personally, that's fine by me. I appreciate the fact that he answers all my questions, gives me what appears to be great prices, and is willing to do whatever it takes to give me the best service he can.

That said, he did send us a box of chocolates recently with our documents.

-Monte

Being a realtor, I am a commissioned person myself - as are travel agents. I would never dream of showing up to the closing table without a very nice closing gift for my clients. I feel travel agents should do the same. It doesn't have to be expensive, it's the thought that counts. For my agent to send something one cruise, but not the next is odd. I like to feel valued for my continued business and I believe that answering questions and being timely isn't the extent of a good travel agent.

I would never dream of showing up to the closing table without a very nice closing gift for my clients. I feel travel agents should do the same. It doesn't have to be expensive, it's the thought that counts. .

My, how very generous. We have purchased 15 (yes-fifteen) homes in our married life, and only once did we receive a closing gift - a box of wonderful California oranges.

Never have gotten a thing from travel agents - either for air, land, or sea.

We have received "Thank You" cards from several of them.

So, this whole idea is new to me. I like it!!:p

When I bought my home just over a year ago, my agent gave me a $100 gift card, and the mortgage agent gave me a bottle of wine. On the previous home my agent sent some flowers in the fall. Before that, nothing.

Just got my docs from my TA today and he gave me a nice heavy cloth tote bag with a zipper from the agency, along with a bottle of wine. Not expensive, but at least a friendly gesture!

Why should they send you anything? Does the grocery store send you a gift when you shop there. Does the gas station give you free stuff for using them. You should use them for their service and attention. Not for free stuff

Why should they send you anything? Does the grocery store send you a gift when you shop there. Does the gas station give you free stuff for using them. You should use them for their service and attention. Not for free stuff

You can find lots of incentives in a variety of businesses. For example free gift wrapping at certain stores. Granted you should be going there only to buy a product, but if they give you something extra it makes some customers feel more endeared to that particular business.

So when you ask why should a TA send a client a gift. The answer would be money. Yes your making a bit of an investment, but in the end most clients see the gift as personal attention from the TA, makes them feel good and increases the likelyhood that client will purchase services from that TA again.

I see the logic in your statement. In a perfect world we could all assign values to the services. Then we could compare the value points assigned against the price paid to determine a metric for evaluating future purchases to optimize value. However sad as it is to say, most people just get a good feeling or a bad feeling about service and thats it. So even if they have trying experiences with an agent a bottle of wine with a note may be all it takes to secure that clients repeat business again.

A voice of reason--finally. A $50 on-board credit just tells me I paid at least $50 too much for my cruise. Rather than a chintzy gift from a realtor, I'd rather see a realistic commission--not the 6% that's simply outrageous given the price of homes these days.

A voice of reason--finally. A $50 on-board credit just tells me I paid at least $50 too much for my cruise. Rather than a chintzy gift from a realtor, I'd rather see a realistic commission--not the 6% that's simply outrageous given the price of homes these days.

Amen........I wish I made as much commission as a Realtor then I could give a real NICE "gift";)

Believe me, it dosen`t matter if you give some clients a gift (I do, not always) if they can get it cheaper next time.........they will be outta there in a shot.

Notice I said "some". My long term good clients I treat very well.

Archived