First time Star Flyer - some questions

ltsally

Doing a 7 day, r/t St, Maarten sailing, late March. Interested in hearing from other Carib sailors as to 'motion if the ocean' that might be expected. The itinerary doesn't look like we really cover all that much real estate, so I'm wondering what to expect, mainly since I'll be travelling with my 40-something daughter, making her first voyage and not too certain abt her sea legs.

I have sailed seabourn and Silversea, including several crossings, and really love being at sea, but never on something as small as this ship.Def looking forward to it.

I get that casual attire is in order, but wondering if folks 'spruce up' much at dinner; would appreciate a little guidance on that issue.

Thanks!

I have sailed on Star Clippers a couple of times and it is a bit different to other cruise lines. In order to try and keep movement of the ship damped down they hoist a row of stay sails down the centre line of the ship. With a steady wind coming from one direction the ship tends to list to one side. This will then increase and decrease with the waves but you always seem to be leaning to some extent. You get used to it. It makes sense to have sea sickness remedies to hand. I was doing a crossing and it got rough one day with the buffet destroyed but that's a mid-atlantic storm thing.

They tend not to dress up much and it's pretty casual. I took a jacket so I could carry different spectacles in easy to reach pockets while sitting down. No one else had a jacket as I recall generally maybe on Captains's Gala night. There were no tuxedos. Captain came out and sat at different peoples tables daily which was nice. He seemed to choose one where a birthday or anniversary was happening and a cake would appear. I sat with him three nights at different tables which was just chance as I did not know where he was going to sit. In fact there was no fixed seating. First night they sorted diners out by language, German speaking table, English etc. Not many people spoke just the one language so it worked out well. Following nights people wanted to sit with new people they had befriended in the day then back with who they were with first day. It was amazing how people mixed and got on. I would avoid the bolted down tables in booths as if you are next to the window three people have to stand to let you out!

Regards John

Edited by john watson

• 1 month later...

I am sure you will love the Star Flyer, even if you are not a sailor. Do bring motion sickness remedies, but you will probably find you do not need to use them.

At dinner you will need to avoid shorts. That's about it. Most ladies dress up a little bit for dinner, however. For guys, no shorts and a color shirt will do.

I'll be happy to answer any other questions you might have.

Paula