Royal Caribbean posts 2Q loss, slashes forecast

"The company posted a loss of $3.7 million, or 2 cents per share, compared with net income of $93.5 million, or 43 cents per share, a year earlier.

Revenue rose 3 percent to $1.82 billion.

Analysts polled by FactSet expected net income of 3 cents per share on revenue of $1.84 billion."

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/royal-caribbean-posts-2q-loss-145844448.html

In other news, Celebrity's Dan Hanrahan resigned earlier this month.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/regis-signs-royal-ceo-173011488.html

Interesting aritcle but I doubt it was unexpected. RCCL seems a bit over exposed in Europe. It would not suprise me to see some capacity return to the US in the next year or two during the summer.

I'm sure the recurring political problems around the eastern Med played no small role in this!

RCCL seems a bit over exposed in Europe. It would not suprise me to see some capacity return to the US in the next year or two during the summer.

Yep. They bet big on Europe and lost. The financial and political instabilities were bad enough. Then came the Costa disaster.

I get an email or more every day from RCI, Celebrity, and/or NCL with specials going on only for European sailings (free 4 category upgrade!, $300 on board credit!, 3rd and 4th passengers free!). Cruise lines with too much inventory in Europe are really hurting.

......:eek::eek:.......LOOK OUT!!!!......Let the whining begin about the cutbacks and no up grades in the future......Cubic Zarconium in December!!!.....:D

Well, in the full financial report Fain does say "we expect to offset over half of this decline with lower spending."

Yep. They bet big on Europe and lost. The financial and political instabilities were bad enough. Then came the Costa disaster.

I get an email or more every day from RCI, Celebrity, and/or NCL with specials going on only for European sailings (free 4 category upgrade!, $300 on board credit!, 3rd and 4th passengers free!). Cruise lines with too much inventory in Europe are really hurting.

Pity they dont offer us in Europe some of the deals you mention, we would jump at it.

their cruises over here are not cheap for us but the expensive airfare to USA makes cruising here a bit more affordable.

Bringing back a ship to the west coast doesn't look like such a bad gamble hopefully now ;)

I would love to see some west coast cruises. It could run back and fourth from LA to Vancouver.

How about an east coast cruise also.

In addition to other economic factors, I think the skyrocketing cost of flying is taking a toll on the cruise industry. When it costs more to get to the ship than it does for the cruise itself, something is awry; thus we've seen prices plummet on Med and Alaska cruises this season. Even the ever popular northeast/south Florida flights, a staple of the cruise industry, have doubled and in some cases have close to tripled in price recently. When pax have to spend significantly more dollars to get there, they have fewer dollars to spend on the ship or they decide not to go at all.

In addition to other economic factors, I think the skyrocketing cost of flying is taking a toll on the cruise industry. When it costs more to get to the ship than it does for the cruise itself, something is awry; thus we've seen prices plummet on Med and Alaska cruises this season. Even the ever popular northeast/south Florida flights, a staple of the cruise industry, have doubled and in some cases have close to tripled in price recently. When pax have to spend significantly more dollars to get there, they have fewer dollars to spend on the ship or they decide not to go at all.

I have too agree 100%. Flying out of a small airport with limited choice the airfare is more than the cruise costs. We are booked in the Med. next summer and we are staring at a airfare cost of $4500.00. And all we get is a crappy airline meal coupled with a huge hassel. The 16 hour airfare costs the same as a 2400 hour cruise. Something is wrong.:eek:

I have too agree 100%. Flying out of a small airport with limited choice the airfare is more than the cruise costs. We are booked in the Med. next summer and we are staring at a airfare cost of $4500.00. And all we get is a crappy airline meal coupled with a huge hassel. The 16 hour airfare costs the same as a 2400 hour cruise. Something is wrong.:eek:

In addition to the huge hassel, you get to sit for hours on end in a seat only a sardine could love...:(

In addition to other economic factors, I think the skyrocketing cost of flying is taking a toll on the cruise industry.

I agree on this. Airfare has been through the roof this year. Flights that used to cost in the low $200s have been running in the high $300s. There have also been very few sales and flying on Weekends has not been any cheaper. There are only two of us here, but I can see this having a huge impact on a family of 4.

Archived