Why do people worry about what other paxs are wearing at dinner?

vols159

I could careless what other paxs are wearing at dinner Im there to eat not worry about what others are wearing! Does someone in shorts blue jeans on really make your food taste any different? No didn't think so.. Every single cruiser should worry about making there cruise special and not let others paxs ruin it by not wearing a tux or tie.. IF you ever cruise with me I won't wear a tie or jacket.. Nothing more than a golf type shirt for me..

I could careless what other paxs are wearing at dinner Im there to eat not worry about what others are wearing! Does someone in shorts blue jeans on really make your food taste any different? No didn't think so.. Every single cruiser should worry about making there cruise special and not let others paxs ruin it by not wearing a tux or tie.. IF you ever cruise with me I won't wear a tie or jacket.. Nothing more than a golf type shirt for me..

So, you would not mind me sitting neat to you wearing my flip fops, bathing suit trunks, and a ripped up muscle shirt where you can look at all my flap and man boobs while you eat?

100% agree!!! I just want to be comfortable and enjoy my meal. I really could care less how MUCH people dress up, or down, for that matter. Yes, there are certain limits, as the above poster stated. I would not want to see anyone's fat rolls, but if they are "presentable", what's the issue?

Yes, I have to say that looking at some guy's huge sweated hairy belly (because his wife beater's shirt does not cover it all) massive hairy armpits and toe cheese.....

would indeed affect my dining experience....

If some curvacious hottie wants to sit at my table in just her Bikini I wouldnt mind it. But since it isnt part of the dress code it should be enforced and not allowed.

Either enforce the dress code or do away with it.

Yes, I have to say that looking at some guy's huge sweated hairy belly (because his wife beater's shirt does not cover it all) massive hairy armpits and toe cheese.....

would indeed affect my dining experience....

I'll give you the hairy belly, but if you are all sitting down at a table then how in the world would you even see his toes!? (and that was a horrible visual you just gave me as well!!! :p)

I personally could care less....somebody completely naked would bother me....especially if they were sitting in my seat in the early seating!!! I often wonder if we don't care because we don't usually sit with anybody else. We usually cruise with a group, so our tables consist of us. I personally like wearing a dress every evening because we generally cruise during winter months and I like being able to bring out some warm weather clothes. Other then "formal nights" my husband likes to wear jeans w/ a nice shirt....and I think he looks incredibly handsome. The only time we have sat with strangers they were dressed very similarly to us as far as I can remember ( I guess I didn't really even pay attention when they were sitting across from us for a week!)

IMO-sit down, enjoy the people you are with no matter what they are wearing. We all come from different walks of life and I would imagine there are plenty of people that don't value "fancy" clothes as much as other, more important things in life. More power to them...my husband would love it if I stopped buying dresses and heels for each vacation ;)

After all the threads on dining room attire, it seem obvious to me that to some people it matters and to some it doesn't - and never the twain shall meet! And we all have to cruise together. :p

As for me, if the OP really wants to know why it matters to some of us, I will try to explain. Other people are part of the entire atmosphere of the dining room. I prefer the decor of a typical cruise ship dining room as opposed to, say, the decor of my local Taco Bell. I prefer tablecloths and china as opposed to plastic placemats and plastic dinner wear. And, I prefer to share the dining room with other people dressed presentably as opposed to people dressed as I do when mowing the lawn. It does not affect how the food tastes. It is simply my personal preferance for general atmosphere as I dine while on a cruise. Others clearly don't have this personal preference.

Presentable, by the way, in my opinion, incudes nice casual wear. Doesn't have to be a tux.

After all the threads on dining room attire, it seem obvious to me that to some people it matters and to some it doesn't - and never the twain shall meet! And we all have to cruise together. :p

As for me, if the OP really wants to know why it matters to some of us, I will try to explain. Other people are part of the entire atmosphere of the dining room. I prefer the decor of a typical cruise ship dining room as opposed to, say, the decor of my local Taco Bell. I prefer tablecloths and china as opposed to plastic placemats and plastic dinner wear. And, I prefer to share the dining room with other people dressed presentably as opposed to people dressed as I do when mowing the lawn. It does not affect how the food tastes. It is simply my personal preferance for general atmosphere as I dine while on a cruise. Others clearly don't have this personal preference.

Presentable, by the way, in my opinion, incudes nice casual wear. Doesn't have to be a tux.

How about the dress at the local redlobster olive garden tgi fridays applebees instead of the taco bell? I wear the same thing on a ship That i would wear to the olive garden

So, you would not mind me sitting neat to you wearing my flip fops, bathing suit trunks, and a ripped up muscle shirt where you can look at all my flap and man boobs while you eat?

Not at all, how you dress is on you. That said if you dress like that AND act like a numbskull in the MDR I would have a problem.

Its all about how some people were raised by their parents or guardians, they were taught about obeying rules and regulations.

Is there rules and regulations to be ''obeying'' on MDR dress, or is it guidelines and suggestions. big difference between the two. The word OBEYING, while on vacation or the subject of vacation should be outlawed. me personally on formal night if I don't want to do the dress up I go to the buffet line, BTW I own my own tux so dressing the part is not the problem.

My opinion: Dining is a sensory experience involving taste, smell, and sight.

Sitting across a sweaty guy wearing a tank top who looks like he's smuggling Chewbacca under his arms WILL affect the enjoyment of my dininng experience....!

Actually, it comes down to what's required, and being let know what's required.

And then get there, and find out it's not.

And it's not only dress. I just went through real life trying to manage deadlines for my DD regarding doctors and bus schedules.

I made the deadlines, but both situations have affected me because others didn't. And when I question it I get a shrug.

I do remember cruising with my cousin and her two boys, who was giving her problems with dress and adhering to the restrictions.

And then arriving at the MDR and subsequently being hassled cause it was non existent. Have it or not, by just tell us.

Some of the examples here are a bit over the top as even a lot of land based sit down restaurants won't let you in wearing a tank top or some other type of revealing or sloppy clothing, and I agree with that. Someone dressing down, and someone being a total slob are two different things.

I've only done the MDR for dinner twice and the few things I've noticed would have most likely gone unnoticed if not for people over here complaining about it. Saw one guy wearing nice jeans and a solid color T-shirt. The shirt was tucked in and he was wearing a belt. Saw another guy in shorts and sandals with a nice golf style shirt (both of these examples were at tables close by. I'm sure there were more). Neither looked bad and I wouldn't have given them a second look at a land restaurant of the same caliber, but all I could do was think "Some of the CCers would eat them alive".

In answer to the OP's question, there is a small percentage of people that feel they have to be in everybody else's business. No matter the topic, no matter the location. Be it smuggling booze, chair hogging, MDR attire, line cutters, drinking too much ect... Some people just cant mind there own business.

BTW, I think that the whole "dress code" dilemma is somewhat dumb on Carnival. People need to sail on it with realistic expectations.

It's a budget cruise lines catering to a VERY wide range of people, backgrounds, education levels, income levels, manners, and understanding of proper ettiquette.

So sailing with other passengers whose idea of proper attire may be very different than yours should be expected when sailing on Carnival. If not, you may want to choose a cruise line catering to a much narrower sliver of the population.

I've relaxed my dress code, but if I choose the DR, in the evening, I at least dress to a standard appropriate for tables set, servers in uniform, being catered to, shorts and sleeveless shirts don't cut it. The DR is set for a better dining experience than a buffet is.

Yes, it's your vacation, but show a little gratitude for the ship providing a DR for this.

... It does not affect how the food tastes. It is simply my personal preferance for general atmosphere as I dine while on a cruise. Others clearly don't have this personal preference.

Actually- it does affect how the food tastes. There have been multiple studies which show that if you serve mediocre food in a lovely setting beautifully presented it appears to taste much better than the same food in a casual setting. Our expectations play a significant role in what we experience. Same with wine- present a glass of wine as a superb vintage, etc etc, and it will be rated much more highly, and enjoyed more, than the same wine presented as a cheap box wine. That is why they do their best to serve all the food beautifully- you get away with a lot that way.

Our psyches rule!

Archived