Cruise Critic Message Board Forums

Cruise Critic Message Board Forums (https://boards.cruisecritic.com/index.php)
-   Princess Cruises (https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Happy hour on golden princess (https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2611054)

1Dot March 13th, 2018 02:19 AM

Happy hour on golden princess

IN APRIL WE ARE TRAVELLING ON THE GOLDEN PRINCESS FROM SINGAPORE TO TOKYO. DO THEY HAVE HAPPY HOURS ON THIS SHIP? WE HAVE NOT DECIDED WHETHER TO BUY A DRINKS PACKAGE OR NOT. WE ARE ALLOWED TO TAKE ON ONE BOTTLE OF WINE EACH, WHAT ABOUT CANS OF BEER AND SOFT DRINKS? ARE THEY STRICT ON HOW MUCH YOU CAN TAKE ON INITIALLY?:halo:

dotty52 March 13th, 2018 03:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Dot (Post 55537976)
IN APRIL WE ARE TRAVELLING ON THE GOLDEN PRINCESS FROM SINGAPORE TO TOKYO. DO THEY HAVE HAPPY HOURS ON THIS SHIP? WE HAVE NOT DECIDED WHETHER TO BUY A DRINKS PACKAGE OR NOT. WE ARE ALLOWED TO TAKE ON ONE BOTTLE OF WINE EACH, WHAT ABOUT CANS OF BEER AND SOFT DRINKS? ARE THEY STRICT ON HOW MUCH YOU CAN TAKE ON INITIALLY?:halo:

Doesnt look like there will be anymore Happy Hours on princess ships unfortunately , you can take soft drink on but not beer you can take extra bottles of wine and pay $15.00 corkage per bottle

1Dot March 13th, 2018 09:12 PM

I think it is pretty miserable of Princess not to offer some small incentive, because we have found, like on Holland American, when Happy Hours are offered it automatically starts a regular meeting place for people to congregate with something in common. Princess appear to be like some other shipping lines these days who seem to go out of their way to markup alcohol so much it is almost unafforadable. $53 for an $8.50 Australian wine is rediculouise. Is the $15 corkage AU$ or US$?

satxdiver March 13th, 2018 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Dot (Post 55545943)
I think it is pretty miserable of Princess not to offer some small incentive, because we have found, like on Holland American, when Happy Hours are offered it automatically starts a regular meeting place for people to congregate with something in common. Princess appear to be like some other shipping lines these days who seem to go out of their way to markup alcohol so much it is almost unafforadable. $53 for an $8.50 Australian wine is rediculouise. Is the $15 corkage AU$ or US$?

USD as far as I know.

dotty52 March 13th, 2018 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by satxdiver (Post 55546038)
USD as far as I know.

Depend on what ship you are on if the folio is in Australian it will be Australian dollars if it is in Us dollars will be US

possum52 March 13th, 2018 10:20 PM

Is the $15 corkage AU$ or US$?

On Princess ships based in Australia such as the Golden Princess, the corkage is in Australian dollars.

We were on the Golden Princess from the 24th Feb to 10th March and there were not any Happy Hours.

Leigh

mncruizr March 14th, 2018 08:39 AM

Those happy hours were a big deal to us when we went on our last cruise and we took part in that every day. We still spend lots of money on wine and booze. I think it's likely this will increase smuggling since the booze purchase selection is not adequate. I can't see buying the drink package. I guess I don't want to be drunk all day on vacation. What fun is that???

1Dot March 19th, 2018 09:27 PM

We are keeping our options open at this stage,not having to decide until we board, however another option is to purchase some wine in Singapore, where the prices are reasonable and pay the corkage.

martin jenkins March 19th, 2018 10:46 PM

i'd say singapore to tokyo will be in $us.

gottagocit March 19th, 2018 11:57 PM

Are those here who are referring to “Happy Hour” actually talking about the “Buy 1 get 1 for $1” daily special?

That was still offered on the Royal in December twice per day. Usually 5-6 pm and again from 10-11pm as I recall.

caribill March 20th, 2018 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gottagocit (Post 55603895)
Are those here who are referring to “Happy Hour” actually talking about the “Buy 1 get 1 for $1” daily special?

That was still offered on the Royal in December twice per day. Usually 5-6 pm and again from 10-11pm as I recall.

It is gone now. Being eliminated on all Princess ships.

OzKiwiJJ March 20th, 2018 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martin jenkins (Post 55603456)
i'd say singapore to tokyo will be in $us.

I agree.

AUD is only used onboard if the cruise starts or finishes in Australia so Singapore to Tokyo would be USD.

gottagocit March 20th, 2018 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caribill (Post 55604221)

Really. Well that stinks.

mickrory April 3rd, 2018 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Dot (Post 55602806)
We are keeping our options open at this stage,not having to decide until we board, however another option is to purchase some wine in Singapore, where the prices are reasonable and pay the corkage.

Hi Dot.

Where in Singapore are wine prices reasonable? I'll bookmark it for my next visit.

CU64 April 3rd, 2018 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caribill (Post 55604221)

Do you have this confirmed by some authority on Princess?

dstables April 3rd, 2018 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CU64 (Post 55735723)

It’s being reported by numerous people who have been recently on different ships throughout Princess and it is gone on every ship. We did a b2b on the Royal February 18 to March 10. The February 18 cruise had it but the February 28 sailing it was gone.

dweidensaul April 3rd, 2018 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CU64 (Post 55735723)

I have direct emails from Customer Relations and a call from Jan Swartz's rep telling me the Food & Beverage department eliminated it. It's official. They "may" replace it with something else in the future, but no details were known or given.

CU64 April 3rd, 2018 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dweidensaul (Post 55735980)
I have direct emails from Customer Relations and a call from Jan Swartz's rep telling me the Food & Beverage department eliminated it. It's official. They "may" replace it with something else in the future, but no details were known or given.

Thank you. How silly of them to remove one venue that gets people together.

laughing husky April 3rd, 2018 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CU64 (Post 55736522)
Thank you. How silly of them to remove one venue that gets people together.

So totally agree.....

Elorac123 April 4th, 2018 03:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Dot (Post 55602806)

Wherever have you seen reasonably priced wine in Singapore
Cheers Carole