jealous sugar beach transportation from cruise port

irishkairishka

Hello,

We would like to go to jealous sugar beach while in port. How much is regular taxi? Water taxi? Number one reason why we want to go there is snorkeling off beach - or maybe there is something similar that doesnt have long drive there? Thank you!

First off, it's Jalousie, not Jealous! Lol. A taxi to Sugar Beach will be approx $200 round trip. Water taxi will be more expensive.

There's some good shore snorkeing from Anse Cochon, where Ti Kaye is located, which is nearer to the port area. Ti Kaye offers some day passes and transportation via their website, oerhaps check them out.

Enjoy your visit.

Attaching a link to another recent thread that I responded on, but you may have already seen this thread. There is a local tour group that offers a "Jalousie (Sugar) Beach Break" and we actually did this in May 2013 and LOVED it. It was exactly what we wanted: time, as in more than an hour and a half, at this beautiful beach so we could snorkel, swim, get pictures, and just relax and enjoy this beautiful beach without feeling "rushed". Before that cruise, we narrowed it down between the excursion through the cruise line or a local, private tour through Spencer Ambrose tours. At that time, we had never done anything other than a cruise line sponsored excursion and were leaning towards that. The downside was that "beach time" was only an hour and a half. We've done those beach/snorkel breaks through the cruise lines on other cruises and we've always felt too rushed. After reading reviews, we decided to do Spencer's tour and really enjoyed it. Below link will have some of my details and comments from others. Feel free to ask if you have any questions.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2352848

• 2 weeks later...

If you want an amazing day to Jalousie Beach, do the beach break with Spencer Ambrose! Amazing day. The staff is amazing and it includes the boat ride, scenic tour, the beach, food...just an amazing day.

The snorkeling there was absolutely WOW! My 8 year old has been snorkeling since she was 3 and this is her favorite place to date.

Check out my review in my signature line. There's TONS of pictures. :)

• 3 weeks later...
First off, it's Jalousie, not Jealous! Lol. A taxi to Sugar Beach will be approx $200 round trip. Water taxi will be more expensive.

There's some good shore snorkeing from Anse Cochon, where Ti Kaye is located, which is nearer to the port area. Ti Kaye offers some day passes and transportation via their website, oerhaps check them out.

Enjoy your visit.

Jalousie is French for jealousy. So the op was not far off.

Jalousie is French for jealousy. So the op was not far off.

Sure. It also primarily means, in English, "shutters made from wood slats", or jalousies....

No, the op wasn't far off, doesn't mean having the correct name wouldn't help out...

Spencer Ambrose's beach break is the best way to get to Sugar beach and very good off beach snorkeling in St Lucia. We have gone with Spencer (and Terry) three times and they simply are the best for getting you down to what is now called the Sugar Beach Resort.

My concern about this tour is the limited seating during beach time. We are two women with not so great backs. $50 for a good chair is quite steep. During the waterfall time do you have to climb like at Dunns falls?

My concern about this tour is the limited seating during beach time. We are two women with not so great backs. $50 for a good chair is quite steep. During the waterfall time do you have to climb like at Dunns falls?

Spencers Ambrose's Beach Break tour doesn't include anything but boat trip and beach time at Jalousie beach. You're transported directly there, usually first ones to arrive do wide choice of the free chairs in shade, and have approx 4.5-5+ hours of beach time. Cost includes food and drinks also.

His Land and Sea tour is the one that includes waterfall, volcano and gardens - and no, there's no climbing the waterfall on this tour as its not a climb-able waterfall like Dunn's River Fall is...it's a steep smaller waterfall that drops into a pool to swim in and under the falls, not a series of pools with gentle sloped rocks, etc to clamor over... Very different experience. Even this tour includes about an hour of beach time and free chairs are a aline under the shade palapas... If any are available.

You have the option on either tour to rent a more plush beach chair from the resort but it's not necessary - the resort provides free chairs with palapas for visitors...

Spencers Ambrose's Beach Break tour doesn't include anything but boat trip and beach time at Jalousie beach. You're transported directly there, usually first ones to arrive do wide choice of the free chairs in shade, and have approx 4.5-5+ hours of beach time. Cost includes food and drinks also.

His Land and Sea tour is the one that includes waterfall, volcano and gardens - and no, there's no climbing the waterfall on this tour as its not a climb-able waterfall like Dunn's River Fall is...it's a steep smaller waterfall that drops into a pool to swim in and under the falls, not a series of pools with gentle sloped rocks, etc to clamor over... Very different experience. Even this tour includes about an hour of beach time and free chairs are a aline under the shade palapas... If any are available.

You have the option on either tour to rent a more plush beach chair from the resort but it's not necessary - the resort provides free chairs with palapas for visitors...

Can you please tell me what the boat ride is like, one of our party suffers from vertigo so just wondering if the sea is rough or if the speed of the boat makes is very bouncy.

Can you please tell me what the boat ride is like, one of our party suffers from vertigo so just wondering if the sea is rough or if the speed of the boat makes is very bouncy.

The ride via sea very much depends on what type of boat you go via and Sea conditions that day - which are quite tough to predict in advance. A large catamaran will be smoother than a small speedboat, but both will be rough rides if the seas are rough... Best to have your friend/party member be prepared for the worst and hope for the best. Or consider different excursions. Good luck.

• 5 months later...

23 years ago we spent our honeymoon at Sugar Beach--then called Jalousie Plantation! We are thinking of doing a cruise for our 25th with a stop in St Lucia--on these tours do you just use the beach or can you use some resort amenities as well? Is there such a thing as a day pass there? Not sure what we'll decide on, but being able to explore the resort a bit might be fun!

Thanks!

The ride via sea very much depends on what type of boat you go via and Sea conditions that day - which are quite tough to predict in advance. A large catamaran will be smoother than a small speedboat, but both will be rough rides if the seas are rough... Best to have your friend/party member be prepared for the worst and hope for the best. Or consider different excursions. Good luck.

The person with Verdigo should take some anti nausea just in case. bonnine is a good one, non drowsy.

23 years ago we spent our honeymoon at Sugar Beach--then called Jalousie Plantation! We are thinking of doing a cruise for our 25th with a stop in St Lucia--on these tours do you just use the beach or can you use some resort amenities as well? Is there such a thing as a day pass there? Not sure what we'll decide on, but being able to explore the resort a bit might be fun!

Thanks!

If you were to take one of the tours that goes there, you're more than welcome to patronize the beach bar/restaurant, rent a more comfy lounge chair, book a spa appointment, etc. Just be prepared for the ridiculous price jumps from 25 years ago!! Spencer Ambrose beach break gives the most time there... Enjoy.

• 2 weeks later...

Have Looked At Ti Kaye? its located in Anse Cochon,

We offer Day Pass for $122.40

Which includes the following -

Collection at 8:30 and return transfer to the Ship at 14:30,

Use of the Showers Lockers, green Sun loungers, Umbrella, beach towels and snorkeling equipment.

Three course lunch with 2 complimentary soft drinks.

http://www.tikaye.com

• 2 months later...

I will describe my boat ride as the ride from hell to reach heaven!

It was absolutely worth every wave we rode, every bump that made me jump out of my seat, every bit of the soaking wet rain on the way back. Do it.

If you were to take one of the tours that goes there, you're more than welcome to patronize the beach bar/restaurant, rent a more comfy lounge chair, book a spa appointment, etc. Just be prepared for the ridiculous price jumps from 25 years ago!! Spencer Ambrose beach break gives the most time there... Enjoy.

I did that. It was $50 per person for their "cabana" with 2 lounge chairs at the time I went (2015 I think). Food and drinks were pay for what you get. The beach manager did not seem very pleased to allow non guests, but I had made arrangements with the hotel manager way before I went and took the email. They gave me a tour of the hotel and grounds and the spa is absolutely divine !!!! The going rate for a room that night was $1300 USD:eek: per the bar server who was chatting with me.