Boston Duck Tour- Which Location?

benzygirl

Prudential would give a much better site. Near Newbury Steet. Legals Seafood nearby. Boston Public Library, Copley Plaza, Christian Science Church, Trinity Church all right there. Also go to the top of the Prudential Center (the Top of the Hub restaurant up there) for fantastic views of Boston.

For a cruise passenger, the only reason to board from the Museum of Science would be if you wanted to also VISIT the Museum of Science (which is a great museum and well worth a visit if you have the time and inclination).

Otherwise, there is nothing over there, whereas if you board from Prudential you will be in the middle of the Back Bay area and relatively close to downtown, with lots of restaurants, shopping, and other tourist sites to visit.

(Now, if you live in the Greater Boston area, it is often easier to drive to the Museum of Science. They have a reasonably-priced parking lot, for one thing, whereas in downtown Boston you're going to pay $40 for parking. But if you're taking a taxi or public transportation from the seaport, go to Prudential.)

There are two places to get the tour from...Prudential or Museum of Science. Which would be closer to the port? Which would be a better area to eat lunch in before the duck tour?

Thanks

FYI: Go Boston Card is only accepted at the Museum of Science Duck Tour departure location and is only accepted until 5:30 pm. During all other times and at all other locations, standard admission will apply.

Included daytime tour

with the Go Boston Card http://www.gobostoncard.com/

Hours: March 24–November 30: Daily, every half hour from 9:00 am until one hour before sunset

Closed: July 4 and Thanksgiving Day.

All holidays are subject to change without notice.

Phone: 617-267-DUCK (617-267-3825)

Address: Departures from the Museum of Science only.

Science Park, Boston

Web: http://www.BostonDuckTours.com

Take the T: Green Line Train to Science Park stop.

Note: Science Park stop is not wheelchair accessible; call the MBTA at 617-222-5000 for assistance.

Thanks for the info...we are coming off a cruise ship and would take a cab. I have done the duck tour before but some of the others haven't. We will be there Aug. 7th and am wondering if it might be very hot on the duck as there is no A/C.

The other thing I am considering is a RCCL tour called Scenic Boston and Harbor Cruise. It is a 2 hour bus tour through the city (it would pick us up right at the dock) and then a 45 min harbor cruise that passes Old Ironside. Does anyone have experience with this tour or something similar.

Thanks so much for the help!

Thanks for the info...we are coming off a cruise ship and would take a cab. I have done the duck tour before but some of the others haven't. We will be there Aug. 7th and am wondering if it might be very hot on the duck as there is no A/C.

Yes, it might be. When you're on the river it's usually cooler, though.

Prudential would give a much better site. Near Newbury Steet. Legals Seafood nearby. Boston Public Library, Copley Plaza, Christian Science Church, Trinity Church all right there. Also go to the top of the Prudential Center (the Top of the Hub restaurant up there) for fantastic views of Boston.

John, thanks for the info. I made a reservation for lunch at the Top of the Hub, and then we're going to get the duck tour downstairs. The restaurant looks like it will have fabulous views.

Hope lunch is good. The restaurant faces the river and East so views are of the Charles, Cambridge accross the river, the Esplanade, Public Gardens and downtown. Also the airport accross Boston Harbor. Hope you have a clear day. (the food may not be the best but how bad can a burger be-just expensive.).

There is a bar on the South side that gives great views of the other side to the South. More buildings, less scenic.

Benzygirl, the Top of the Hub does have a pnoramic glass enclosed tourist platform for viewing only for a slight fee. As John mentioned the restuarant doesn't have the best reputation for great food though. A better and more local experience might be Legal Seafood nearby (just a thought). I think you and your group will enjoy your outing in Beantown.

Yes, it can be pretty hot & humid in August but the Duck Tour is a lot of fun.

Bon Voyage

Nanatravel

I think we are just going to do the early ship's Duck Tour and not mess with getting anywhere on a work day with traffic etc. , then have lunch and spend the afternoon downtown and take the shuttle back to the ship.. It might cost a little more but I'm way way into "convenient".:) ..Duck people will let you off right at Faneuil Hall or take you back to the ship..

I think we are just going to do the early ship's Duck Tour and not mess with getting anywhere on a work day with traffic etc. , then have lunch and spend the afternoon downtown and take the shuttle back to the ship.. It might cost a little more but I'm way way into "convenient".:) ..Duck people will let you off right at Faneuil Hall or take you back to the ship..

Hi Caroline. I had inquired directly with RCCL's tour dept. about this tour. They have information in their computers that is more detailed than the excursion booklet. I found out that this is not a regular duck tour. You are only on the duck for a total of about 30 minutes and the rest of the time you are on the bus. On the regular duck tour you are onboard for about an hour. I'm not saying yours will be bad, I just wanted to point out something I found out incase it helps you.

Meta

Benzygirl, the Top of the Hub does have a pnoramic glass enclosed tourist platform for viewing only for a slight fee. As John mentioned the restuarant doesn't have the best reputation for great food though. A better and more local experience might be Legal Seafood nearby (just a thought). I think you and your group will enjoy your outing in Beantown.

Yes, it can be pretty hot & humid in August but the Duck Tour is a lot of fun.

Bon Voyage

Nanatravel

Dear Nanatravel...is the food bad up there or just mediocre and overpriced? I can handle the latter for the view, but I don't want bad food. The thing about Legal Seafood is..there is one in Boca Raton, 10 minutes from where I live that I have eaten in a bunch of times...so that idea isn't that exciting. I look at going to the Top of the Hub as like going to the Empire State Building...a thing you might do as a tourist. Can you explain the viewing platform? From their website, it looks like the whole restaurant is glass enclosed with great views. Am I mistaken? Appreciate any info on this.

I grew up there and did the duck tour. it was fun..also did it from the pru. lunvh to me is always Quincy Market food hall. but i like the walk..

Robin, is Quincy Market the same as Fanuil Hall? How far a walk is that? Is it like a big food court?

Thanks,

Robin, is Quincy Market the same as Fanuil Hall? How far a walk is that? Is it like a big food court?

Thanks

Yes it is the same. locals call the whole area either/or. it is a healthy walk from the pru but i have done twice. you could take the "T" to Park and walk from there. walk past filenes and go School or Court Street and you will get there. even as a local i sometimes ask for help as streets dead end.

The food court is a long hall with some table in the middle. i ate there but prefer to take my clams to a bench or the stairs and people watch. the food court has clams, clam chowder, chinese, etc. I walk the whole thing every time and still get clams. many restaurants are there too. plus stores. i love shopping there for gifts or clothes. There is no clothing tax and i save plenty. you could spend hours there.

• 2 weeks later...

We did the Duck Tour when we visited Boston last week. We bought our tickets at Fanueil Hall. We ended up taking the T to the Museum of Science as per the girl's direction at Fanueil Hall. THEN after we arrived, we realized that she gave us tickets departing from the Prudential Center. The duck tour people at the Musuem of Science quickly fixed the problem (although we had to wait an extra half-hour from our original tour time).

It all worked out for the best though because we had an AMAZING tour guide - his "conDUCKtour" name was Captain Kidding. I highly recommend this guy - he was intriguing to listen to. (Not sure if you can request certain tour guides, but this guy was fabulous!!) This was one of our favorite activities of the entire cruise. He had such great storytelling skills and was extremely knowledgeable about the history of Boston!

We did the Duck Tour when we visited Boston last week. We bought our tickets at Fanueil Hall. We ended up taking the T to the Museum of Science as per the girl's direction at Fanueil Hall. THEN after we arrived, we realized that she gave us tickets departing from the Prudential Center. The duck tour people at the Musuem of Science quickly fixed the problem (although we had to wait an extra half-hour from our original tour time).

It all worked out for the best though because we had an AMAZING tour guide - his "conDUCKtour" name was Captain Kidding. I highly recommend this guy - he was intriguing to listen to. (Not sure if you can request certain tour guides, but this guy was fabulous!!) This was one of our favorite activities of the entire cruise. He had such great storytelling skills and was extremely knowledgeable about the history of Boston!

Jessica...we meet again. LOL I got tickets for the Prudential, but I'll remember the name Captain Kidding in case we have a choice of a couple of vehicles. A lot of people poo-poo the tour saying you don't get to see much, but I thought it was a blast and an easy, enjoyable tour. Love to hear on the 7/3 thread what other excursions you did when you have a chance:)

please!! this born Boston girl loved it. i saw a lot of things and places that i could ont see jsut walking around the city.

since hte tour is an hour or so.. more ideas

take the red line from parket street to JFK library

go to fenway park if the boys are out of town for a tour

no one should have one day in Boston and eat at legal:(

i still love Quincy market to eat.. more idea therer just by walking by

Archived