Is there always a Mariners embarkation lunch?

Hgwells01

We are getting on the Volendam tomorrow, our travel docs say embarkation from 1300, ship sails at 2300 so do you think there is still a Mariners lunch and would it usually be in the MDR?

Edited by Hgwells01

We are getting on the Volendam tomorrow, our travel docs say embarkation from 1300, ship sails at 2300 so do you think there is still a Mariners lunch and would it usually be in the MDR?

Despite what the document says, boarding really starts around 11-11:30 AM normally.

Normally, but not always, there is a Mariner Lunch in the MDR (lower level) which begins at Noon and runs until around 1:30 (I think). If you board at the 1 PM time HAL says, you could easily miss out.

DaveOKC

the Mariner's Embarkation lunch is usually available to all mariners (1* and up) and yes, if you are travelling with someone who has not sailed HAL or CCL, they can go with you.

Now, that being said, if there are a lot of multi **'d mariners, they can restrict the lunch to 3 or 4* mariners. I haven't encountered it myself, but it has been reported here.

As well, now and then HAL will have travel agents on board, etc. to tour the ship. If that is the case, they normally put a lunch on for them and the mariner's lunch may not be available.

Hours for the lunch are usually posted in the On Location now. I have seen them close the dining room at 1:00 pm for the Mariner's lunch so it's a good idea to keep that possibility in mind.

the Mariner's Embarkation lunch is usually available to all mariners (1* and up) and yes, if you are travelling with someone who has not sailed HAL or CCL, they can go with you.

Now, that being said, if there are a lot of multi **'d mariners, they can restrict the lunch to 3 or 4* mariners. I haven't encountered it myself, but it has been reported here.

As well, now and then HAL will have travel agents on board, etc. to tour the ship. If that is the case, they normally put a lunch on for them and the mariner's lunch may not be available.

Hours for the lunch are usually posted in the On Location now. I have seen them close the dining room at 1:00 pm for the Mariner's lunch so it's a good idea to keep that possibility in mind.

On our last cruise (in January) they had a "group" event for some local charity. They boarded first (before event the suite passengers). They had lunch in the upper dining area. We still were able to do the Mariner Lunch in the lower dining area, but the menu was slightly changed from the normal one (it must have been the same as the group's) and unfortunately the announcements and discussion from above negatively impacted our lunch and conversations.

I can't remember if it was my 2012 or '13 Eastern Caribbean Eurodam cruise that restricted the Mariner's lunch to three and four star. I remembered thinking this was odd but we ended up in the Lido for lunch, as usual.

We finally got to go to one of these in Jan. on the Ryndam. We asked about it on several other cruises. One time they acted like they didn't know what we were talking about. even when we went to the dining room and asked. We had asked when we checked in. Another time there was a lunch for some religious group so the dining room was not available. Hope you have better luck. It is nice to be able to sit and not be rushed. Less hectic than the crowded Lido.

Thank you so much CrewNews. I am excited because it's still the same menu and I always have that buttermilk chicken.... it's awesome! :D Oh yes, and the chocolate mousse cake, too! :D :D

Have a lovely day.

I can't remember if it was my 2012 or '13 Eastern Caribbean Eurodam cruise that restricted the Mariner's lunch to three and four star. I remembered thinking this was odd but we ended up in the Lido for lunch, as usual.

I find it odd as well that they have a lunch where only certain past guests are invited, it's not a very welcoming first impression. You'd think they would give some thought to welcoming newcomers so that they will want to be return guests LOL It's especially odd that starred Mariners sometimes get turned away. Maybe it's a space consideration, like if everyone could go and all showed up at the MDR they wouldn't be able to accomodate everyone. Yet it is a strange and unwelcoming concept, the Mariners Embarkation Lunch being restricted like that. I guess if we arrive hungry we can get food in the Lido and bring it to our room, if it is ready. Schlepping through a busy buffet area is not how I want to start my vacation lol

Lorie

I find it odd as well that they have a lunch where only certain past guests are invited, it's not a very welcoming first impression. You'd think they would give some thought to welcoming newcomers so that they will want to be return guests LOL It's especially odd that starred Mariners sometimes get turned away. Maybe it's a space consideration, like if everyone could go and all showed up at the MDR they wouldn't be able to accomodate everyone. Yet it is a strange and unwelcoming concept, the Mariners Embarkation Lunch being restricted like that. I guess if we arrive hungry we can get food in the Lido and bring it to our room, if it is ready. Schlepping through a busy buffet area is not how I want to start my vacation lol

Lorie

It doesn't happen as often as you would be lead to believe on here. I've got 300 plus days on hal and I can't remember it ever happening. Before someone rips me a new one, I'm sure it happens very occasionally.

Lorie

Not only is it a space consideration, there is a manpower consideration. It is very likely that your cabin will be ready for you when you board, and that takes a lot of manpower on turnaround day.

What cruiselines do offer a "welcome aboard new cruisers" lunch in the main dining room? Is HAL the only one that doesn't?

We've been unable to attend a couple of Welcome Back lunches because of it being restricted to 3 and 4 star Mariners (space limitations). Once there was a travel agent lunch being held so no one had a Welcome Back lunch. We adjusted. I'm sorry you feel so slighted by this. I hope the rest of the cruise compensates for not being able to attend the Welcome Back lunch.

Princess offers a welcome aboard lunch. I've never seen the MDR (main dining room for those who don't understand abbreviations) busy on hal at lunch, ever. This is my experience.

Edited by cruz chic

Not only is it a space consideration, there is a manpower consideration. It is very likely that your cabin will be ready for you when you board, and that takes a lot of manpower on turnaround day.

What cruiselines do offer a "welcome aboard new cruisers" lunch in the main dining room? Is HAL the only one that doesn't?

We've been unable to attend a couple of Welcome Back lunches because of it being restricted to 3 and 4 star Mariners (space limitations). Once there was a travel agent lunch being held so no one had a Welcome Back lunch. We adjusted. I'm sorry you feel so slighted by this. I hope the rest of the cruise compensates for not being able to attend the Welcome Back lunch.

Norwegian has the MDR open to all passengers on embarkation day. Of course, MDR food is not NCL's strongest point ;)

I am taking my first HAL trip in May but I read on here that past guests of other Carnival Co. brands can also attend. Is this true? We have sailed CCL and will have also sailed Princess by the time we board Veendam. Not a deal breaker either way, but is something I wondered about.

Princess offers a welcome aboard lunch. I've never seen the MDR (main dining room for those who don't understand abbreviations) busy on hal at lunch, ever. This is my experience.

Norwegian has the MDR open to all passengers on embarkation day. Of course, MDR food is not NCL's strongest point ;)

>SNIP<

Are the cabins on NCL and Princess ready when the new pax board? I've always thought that was one of the reasons that MDR was restricted -- that so many of the crew are prepping the cabins etc in preparation for the new pax so there would not be enough crew (front and back of house) to deal with an entire dining room full of people.

Are the cabins on NCL and Princess ready when the new pax board? I've always thought that was one of the reasons that MDR was restricted -- that so many of the crew are prepping the cabins etc in preparation for the new pax so there would not be enough crew (front and back of house) to deal with an entire dining room full of people.

On NCL no.

On Princess I have heard that they always are ready when boarding but won't know for sure until next week! :D

Are they ready right away on HAL?

I am taking my first HAL trip in May but I read on here that past guests of other Carnival Co. brands can also attend. Is this true? We have sailed CCL and will have also sailed Princess by the time we board Veendam. Not a deal breaker either way, but is something I wondered about.

Yes you can attend. You will be considered a one star mariner because of your past Carnival brand cruises.

Yes you can attend. You will be considered a one star mariner because of your past Carnival brand cruises.

Cool to know. Thanks!!

Will I also get one of those lovely Delft tiles? Not to sound greedy but they are just so darn cute! :rolleyes:

The MDR staff doesn't deal with getting cabins ready so I don't understand what that would have to do with it. I dropped my carry on in my cabin on the emerald princess on the 22nd before lunch so yes they were ready. I've done it on every princess ship I've been on.