Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community

Earthworm Jim

Members
  • Content Count

    2,400
  • Joined

About Earthworm Jim

  • Rank
    Cool Cruiser

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. But you have to take into account the politics in each of those states. New York and California have been pretty cautious, while Florida has been anxious to return to normal. Any of them would require CDC approval of course, but even with that approval I could see New York holding back and Florida going ahead regardless of the current infection numbers. And the infection numbers could be totally different by the end of the year. Maybe New York will be bad again by then, who knows?
  2. Even that comes with worries though. Is NCL selling those cruises now only because they desperately need some money coming in? A booked cruise on a line that goes into bankruptcy won't bring you any further joy. (Not that I know anything much about NCL's financial standing, or am saying they are likely to go into bankruptcy. Just that it's the kind of thing I worry about with any of the cruise lines.)
  3. True, but there was also a World War going on in 1918, and no doubt soldiers still returning home into 1919. So there was considerably more international travel those years than was the norm for that era.
  4. I wouldn't read too much into it. They are just throwing tentative dates out there as a future point to aim for, but it's too far out to judge whether they'll actually be viable dates or not. Even if they do come to pass, it's certainly plausible that one line might get approval for their Covid plan from the CDC before another line, or one line might take more time to get the needed crew back. Anything like that could easily account on a 2 week difference between when lines eventually start cruises again.
  5. Any speculation on why they might be selling the recently rebuilt Sunrise? They invested all that money modernizing it, it seems odd that ship would be one to go. Unless they are hoping to get a good price for it and raise some revenue, which is why they are selling a recently rebuilt, and thus presumably more desirable, ship? Because it might sell for more? That's all I can think of.
  6. Using Nassau as an example, the average daily high in early December is 80, dropping down to an average high of 77 by late January. Which might vary by a few degrees even on a typical day, and more than a few degrees on an atypical day. That's reasonably warm, but if it was a breezy day in the mid-70s it might not feel quite warm enough for swimming. https://weather.com/weather/monthly/l/2de5e04306fedaddc95277d99edf6cb7da5d80a3a77b01ccbd5074db1eb06023 Water temps might range from as high as 78 to as low as 72, according to this: https://www.bahamas.com/faq/average-water-temps
  7. That was the point. If the premise is that Carnival changed the name from Triumph to Sunrise to avoid the negative association of the Triumph fire and "poop cruise" incident, my contention is that effort was wasted because the average person wouldn't remember it was the Triumph anyway.
  8. But how many people will realize it's the same ship when they are searching carnival for an prospective cruise? Damn few. Heck, the name Carnival Triumph wouldn't even ring a bell in most peoples memories anymore.
  9. Like Jobeth said, other states has already done it. I suspect it's not legal, but I'm far from a constitutional expert and states do have broad rights in emergencies, so I could be wrong. In this case, I think it's more a political tit-for-tat since Florida has maintained their quarantine of NY and holier than thou attitude even as their numbers have spiked far above New York's current numbers.
  10. That's easy to say, but who knows what the real date when it will be safe again is? No one, including the cruise lines. They are no doubt paying analysts to look at the question. But lets say their analysis is "There's a 10% chance you'll be able to offer cruises in October, 40% chance by December, 60% chance by March 2021, 90% chance by June 2021, and 99% chance by September 2021. How is Carnival supposed to pick a "true" date out of that? And say they pick the date of March 2021, but it turns out they could have actually sailed in January. That two month extra delay just cost them millions and might be the difference between the company surviving or not. I don't think they can just pick some far away "safe" date and be done with it as you are asking.
  11. Doesn't the term "staycation" automatically imply you are spending it at home? If you're going on a road trip, it's not a staycation. I think the western National Parks, with wide open spaces perfect for social distancing, will be very popular this year. Maybe less so the most famous ones, like Yosemite and Yellowstone, since they draw big crowds even in a normal year. But some of the less popular ones would be great destinations.
  12. In that case it's my understanding that this quarantine restriction will have no impact on you.
  13. It was until July 7th, but was recently extended indefinitely according to this article. https://wdwnt.com/2020/06/mandatory-two-week-quarantine-extended-indefinitely-for-visitors-traveling-to-florida-from-new-york-tri-state-area/ Which seems odd given all three states now have a fairly low new case count compared to Florida, but perhaps it's being driven by some political considerations. Incidentally, you can tell the person who wrote it isn't familiar with the term "tri-state area". Normally that means the greater NYC area, including it's NJ and CT outlying suburbs. Buffalo, NY, for example, is not by any means remotely close to the tri-state area. But the Florida governor's executive order seems to be including the entirety of all three states in the tri-state area. Many areas in others states are far closer to NYC than Buffalo is, and yet Buffalo has restrictions. But DC, RI, MA, most if not all of PA, MD and DE, etc., are closer, but are not restricted.
  14. I tend to agree, because Florida now has it worse than the tri-state area does. Given how gung-ho the state has been to quickly lift other restrictions, I'm surprised it's still in place now. ( But if it does remain in place, I assume Carnival will have to cancel the cruises. I'm sure the number of passengers coming from the tri-state area is not insignificant.
  15. Let's start from the beginning: Why is it the CDC's responsibility to contain the risk all the way to the final destination? Rather than the CDC make rules to protect the US at the American end, and the destination nation make whatever rules are appropriate to protect their nation at the destination end? Once they leave the US to a nation that is willing to accept them, why is it the US's business anymore what happens then in some other country? You keep essentially saying it's the CDC's business because it's the CDC's business. It's a circular argument. But no one cares to hear the two of us arguing anymore. The bottom line is there is no good reason. Or at least no good reason that either of us are aware of.
×
×
  • Create New...