Jump to content

old biddy

Members
  • Posts

    112
  • Joined

Everything posted by old biddy

  1. They still haven't cancelled Eastern Seaboard Explorer in September. We are due to join Star in Montreal and cruise to New York. Plainly this isn't going to happen.
  2. Several years ago we stayed at the Holiday Inn on the outskirts of Portsmouth then got a taxi to the port. I remember finding long term parking in Portsmouth an impossibility. The hotel did a 'cruise package', parking and overnight stay. I can't remember the cost but I don't think it was too horrendous. I will be very interested in your feedback after the cruise. We love Viking cruises but feel the constraints (all for very good reasons) will severely detract from the holiday, so for the time being it is land based UK breaks for us.
  3. I've just had a conversation with UK office, (although all working from home) the itinerary for proposed cruises is Portsmouth, Falmouth, Scily Isles, Liverpool, Portland and back to Portsmouth. They are reducing the number of passengers to 450 to allow for greater social distancing. However they are NOT insisting on vaccination, apparently it is down to personal choice! When I pointed out I thought that would put a lot of people off, me included, the reply was 'insisting on vaccination would put a lot of people off'. They are holding a lot on the daily testing, but that doesn't stop Covid getting on board. By the time it is picked up by testing it is too late, the infected individual will already have been in contact with goodness knows how many people.
  4. Equally, Eastern Seaboard Explorer starting in Montreal is obviously a no go, but as yet not cancelled, really frustrating. I fully I understand that Viking are very busy with the recent cancellations, but the no Canada cruising was announced before latest from Viking. I just wish they would be honest.
  5. Not wishing to burst your bubble, but we are booked on Eastern Seaboard Explorer in September, it starts in Montreal. Canada have banned all cruises until Feb. 2022 and it is still showing on MVJ as going! I can't get any response from Viking about what they are planning to do. Logically it will have to be cancelled. We were booked on this cruise last year which was obviously cancelled, so moved it to this year. We've just had our May cruise cancelled, so at the moment not doing very well!
  6. Without wishing to seem rude, what email address did you use? I used operationsuk@vikingcruises.com at 8pm on Wednesday night and had reply at 9.30 on Thursday morning. Granted mine was about our cancelled May cruise, so perhaps they are prioritising the cancellations, I don't know- obviously.
  7. Despite what is stated on the Viking website latest statement, not all passengers affected by the latest cancellations have been informed - I haven't! Yes I was expecting my May cruise to be cancelled (it was locked on MVJ) and have been checking Viking website, email and Cruise Critic all day anticipating an announcement. As it happens it was Andy's post on here that finally gave me the information I have been waiting for. By the time the announcement was posted the UK office was shut - just my luck. I have to say I am very disappointed by the poor communication from Viking. I was also hoping for some reference to Canadian cruises later in the year, we are booked on Eastern Seaboard Explorer in September, as Canada have banned all cruises until February 2022 something needs to happen!
  8. Our May cruise is 'locked' in MVJ, which I am sure means it is cancelled, but no email confirmation as yet. Also no news about what is happening with Eastern Seaboard Explorer in September. Canada banned all cruises until Feb 2022 a couple of weeks ago so I was hoping for something by now. Plainly the cruise can't go, so some communication would be good.
  9. That is very good thinking. I get the feeling Canada is going to be more cautious opening their borders, so your thinking makes a lot of sense. As I've said before we will just have to bide our time and see what happens.
  10. Rest assured in the Wake of the Vikings is still available. Seemingly not a lot of availability but some.
  11. Thanks so much for your reply. Interesting they are listed as sold out. I still doubt that we will be welcome over the pond. We will just have to hold tight and see what develops.
  12. We are due on this cruise in September but fully expect not to go. However both cruises, from Montreal and New York later this year are apparently no longer available to book via the Viking website. Our cruise is showing on my Viking Journey. I really can't believe both cruises are fully booked. Could some kind person in US, Canada, Australia or anywhere other than UK look to see if it available to book there? I am wondering if we Covid Variant riddled Brits are no longer wanted in US / Canada, or at least in the near future, I can fully understand if that is the case, I would just like to know. I can book other cruises for this year so I don't think it a fault on the website,
  13. Sadly the Foreign Office has updated it guidance, and now states nobody should go on cruises, due to the perceived risk, previously it was only the over 70s. If Viking do try to start with round Britain cruises I fear joining them may be problematic.
  14. A Viking hotel will do me nicely, thankyou. Originally I said I didn't want to be a Guinea pig on the first post pandemic voyage, however, if the price is right and all things considered it looks good I might well change my mind - a woman's prerogative!
  15. It hasn't been stated when this cruise may go it could be September, when Sky should be doing Eastern Seaboard Explorer, which wont happen due to Canadian restrictions. A lot can happen in 3 to4 months, nobody knows, hopefully the world will be in a better place, if it isn't I wouldn't give the cruise a first glance let alone a second. As I see it Viking are testing the water to see what the interest might be, no point in trying to organise something if everybody is negative and there will be zero uptake. A lot of hoops will have to be jumped through and at the end of the day the decision may be it's not possible. Let's wait and see.
  16. P&O doesn't specifically operate cruises round the UK and islands. It might have a UK clientele but operates further afield. IF Viking can come up with a viable cruise, that wont involve any pre or post isolation, and the cruise experience is not diminished we are definitely interested. There are lots of elements that have to be right before we would go, but certainly worth considering. How else are we going to get our cruise fix this year otherwise?
  17. I know the feeling. We were supposed to be doing Eastern Seaboard Explorer ( Montreal to New York). 24hrs after I cancelled, Canada said their waterways shut to ships over 100 person capacity until Octber 2020. The cruise hasn't actually been cancelled by Viking yet, obviously it will be, but we have rebooked, got a stateroom we want and the cruise we want, so we are more than happy.
  18. The 125% is if you rebook a cruise that Viking cancel. If you cancel its 100%. I cancelled our September cruise and rebooked for same cruise next year and got 100%. As luck would have it the cruise is marginally cheaper next year! Another factor to consider is, if the world is not in a better place than it is now, by the time of your next cruise, provided you book by 30 June, you will be able to rebook again at no charge, or take a FCC valid for 2 years. By my calculations that means you will have up to 3 more years before you have to cruise again. If the world is no better by then, heaven help us!
  19. I have just moved our September 2020 Eastern Seaboard Explorer to September 2021. Should things not have improved by this time next year, because we have done this before 30 June, we will be able to cancel and get a FCC, or move to another cruise to be taken within 2 years, I.e up to 2023. In my book a really customer friendly strategy.
  20. Thank you, you've just confirmed our thoughts and probably added more fuel to the 'no go' scenario
  21. Andy, can I pick your brain. I am not expecting a definitive answer just a very shrewd guess. We are due to sail out of Montreal in September finishing up on New York. Currently, we have no intention of going, a long haul flight, via Paris, wearing masks and gloves, no food or drink for 8hrs really is not an ideal start to a cruise. We also have concerns about the on board experience. We have cruised with Viking 4 times and don't fancy a diluted experience. What I'm asking you can you see any possibility of this cruise happening? We are hoping Viking will cancel so we can get our deposit refunded, if we cancel then it is a FCC and at the moment we can't see when we will next be able to (a) get insurance or (b) the British government say it is safe for the over 70s to cruise again. I realise Montreal is a long way from you, but I thought you might have a better insight than me! I loved following your exploits on the Magical Mystery Cruise!
  22. Have a look at 'Viking cancellations' thread, posting 31, that may help.
  23. We are in a similar position to yourselves, although our cruise isn't until early September. Again the over 70 factor comes into play as my other half is there. However, my reading of the first cruise cancellation and amendment notification, is that you can cancel up to 24hrs before departure and get a FCV for the monies already paid. So, if you cancel your Alaska cruise before paying the balance, you will get a voucher for £2700. Yes you don't get the money back, but neither do you actually lose it. I believe you have until the end of 2021 to use the voucher. This is an option we are considering. Somewhere I know I have read another Brit has taken this route on an Alaska cruise and got a FCV. This may not help your thought process at all, and I know it doesn't exactly answer the question you posed,but I thought it might help.
  24. I think you will find the answer to this is 'yes'. Several years ago we had cancelled BA flights and when the TA tried to make the repayment to our card, it had expired and the payment wouldn't go through. We had to give her the new expiry date. It was a few years ago and things may have changed, also it was a UK credit card, I don't know if that will make a difference.
  25. I'm sorry that you won't be enjoying Canada this summer, as it was sort of me who persuaded you to the merits of the coach, another year perhaps. I am in a similar dilemma, although I have slightly longer to decide. We are due on the Eastern Seaboard Explorer in September, finishing in New York. I have severe doubts that they will be clear of Covid 19 by then. For the time being I will my nerve and hope but.......! Just curious how difficult was it to contact Viking?
×
×
  • Create New...