Jump to content

CLOU

Members
  • Content Count

    387
  • Joined

About CLOU

  • Rank
    Cool Cruiser

About Me

  • Location
    Vienna, Virginia, USA
  • Interests
    travel, cooking wine
  • Favorite Cruise Line(s)
    Seabourn

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. I seem to recall that Seabourn extended the time to book another cruise and get a 5% discount if you put down an open deposit while on board, to 4 years from the date of your deposit. I think it used to be two years. I emailed guest relations to check but have not heard back. I put down a deposit during my last cruise in 2019. I had applied it against a cruise that got canceled in 2020, but want to make sure I will be able to get the discount in the future. Can anyone confirm if the deposit is good for 4 years, otherwise I might need to request a refund. I don't want to contact my trave
  2. I know that there is pent up demand for cruising and a lot of people have credits to use, but any cruises I look at, not until late 2022 or even early 2023, do not show any cabins available other than the one the website automatically assigns. You cannot change decks to look at or see other cabins. I understand things really might be sold out that far in advance because of the circumstances but I was wondering if anyone knows if this is truly the case.
  3. I have commented before that I find the wine attitude at TK Grill offputting. Last time the staff handed us the menu open to the premium wine list page and not the food menu. They started the upsell until my husband joined us at the table with a bottle of Barolo we had brought on board.
  4. Sorry to nitpick, but people continue to state that vaccinated people have a 5% chance of contracting Covid 19 after a Pfizer or Moderna shot. I am not an expert in math or epidemiology but I know that a vaccine with 95% efficacy doesn’t mean vaccinated people have a 5 percent chance of getting COVID-19 or that 95 percent of people are protected from the disease. Data suggests risk of infection after vaccination is actually much lower. Vaccine efficacy is percent reduction in disease incidence in a vaccinated group compared to an unvaccinated group under optimal condition. Efficac
  5. Interesting that the recipe you saw on the Facebook page was for the white tomato soup. I emailed Seabourn years ago, shortly after we had the white and clear tomato soup in Restaurant 2, and got a reply with both recipes. However, I have never made either of them because they take a fair amount of advance time, and I would want to make it for guests, who never seem to visit during tomato season. Still, I remember both soups being tasty and unique. The breadsticks' recipe was published years ago in Saveur Magazine and is still available online if you Google it.
  6. Just to clarify, and I think this is correct, the v1 and v2 balconies all used to have the metal bottoms, at least on the Odyssey class ships, but they were all on the lower passenger decks. The higher classifications - v3 through v6 began on the slightly higher decks, deck 6 on the Odyssey class. With the new classification Seabourn appears to have implemented, which now involves the location of the suites on the deck, some of the v1suites are on middle decks, just more to the front of the ship. They should then have all clear balconies. I can't remember if the same was true on the Ovatio
  7. Am I reading this right? Is there now no differentiation to show that the balcony suites on decks 4 and 5 half different balconies, with the bottoms being solid metal as opposed to clear? At least I know that so I can keep it in mind when booking going forward, when I can actually book again.
  8. The top deck does have lounge chairs. It is relatively easy to walk around in the morning, before most people are out, but it is open all day. We have been reading on the lounge chairs in the middle of the day, when people are doing laps. Both activities can occur at the same time, but as people rearrange the chairs, it can become an obstacle course. There is an outside deck on a lower deck, but it does not go all the way around the ship, so you have to do u-turns. For me, I get my exercise on cruises either walking around the ports or destinations, or on the treadmill. Other facets of S
  9. I feel bad I did not update my status earlier, but my husband checks our credit card balances daily and I asked him to let me know when our refunds posted. Of course, he neglected to tell me that both our refunds had posted on May 29th, for our September and December cruises - around 60 days from my cancellation of these cruises, so I consider myself lucky. My fault for relying on him rather than also checking myself, but after 37 years of marriage I tend to assume we share one mind.
  10. I am one of the lurkers. We cancelled two cruises that were to sail later this year We cancelled them on our own, before Seabourn cancelled them. Now the first has been officially cancelled by Seabourn. The December cruise is still currently slated to sail, but we are not comfortable sailing again until we see how things develop. We cancelled Our September 16th cruise to Europe on the Encore on March 27th and our December 22nd cruise to the Caribbean on the Sojourn on April 13, so much more recently that most others. Of course, we have not received our deposits back yet.
  11. Here is my example of pretension at the TK Grill. We were all handed the menus opened to the reserve wine list page instead of the food menu. This corresponds to the attitude we have had there in the past that it is expected that we order a better wine, since the complimentary wines are not good enough.
  12. We have found they have put us on United or Star Alliance partners (except to Reykjavik where it was IcelandAir, a significant but not unexpected downgrade) but we fly out of Dulles. United is not great but we are used to it out of Dulles. Its European partners, such as SAS from Copenhagen, like most international carriers, are better. We have learned to always check Seabourn air, since it is sometimes, but not always, significantly cheaper. Our last two cruises Seabourn’s fare was over $1000 per person lower for business class air to Europe on convenient flights. They also accommodated a dev
  13. I tried on two separate cruises to get some better beer for my brother-in-law who was sailing with us. He too tends to drink IPAs. I contacted guest relations directly and through my travel agent. I asked for Sierra Nevada or some local beer such as Canadian beer on a Canadian cruise or Icelandic beer or something from Scotland on a Northern Europe cruise. No success. He and we also had a hard time having anyone tell us what actually was available. On the Northern Europe cruise he asked for an IPA and got the Lagunitas. He probably drank them out of their supply.
  14. Pulled up this thread because we are about to book a Christmas and New Year's cruise for this year. We don't observe Christmas, but we certainly have no problem with being around others who are enjoying the festivities. We also have never been on a Seabourn cruise with more than a few children. I was a little concerned but this thread makes me feel that the presence of children will not be too intrusive. I was wondering if anyone on a current cruise or perhaps just returning in the next few days can add anything new.
×
×
  • Create New...