Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community


  • Content Count

  • Joined

About cruiselvr04

  • Rank
    Cool Cruiser

About Me

  • Location
  • Interests
    Planning cruises and travel
  • Favorite Cruise Line(s)
    Diamond plus with RCCL
  • Favorite Cruise Destination Or Port of Call

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. We’ve done 35 cruises with Royal. We have also sailed with Carnival, Princess and NCL. Royal fits us best. We love the evening entertainment and the solarium. We were to try Celebrity in October but I don’t think that Cruise is going to happen. We cruise in the off season, late April and May, November and early December to avoid kids and lower prices. We think any cruise less then 8 days isn’t long enough. We also prefer Freedom class and smaller. We plan to try Oceania and Viking after we retire. They are more then twice the cost but will try them to see if it’s worth it. We did a river cruise with Viking that had fabulous service.
  2. 7 extra days really isn’t long enough in uncertain times. I have a booking I’m going to ask for deposit back for October. It’s too much money to have in their pockets for 3-4 months to get another refund. If they were quick with refunds I’d go for it.
  3. I work for a large hospital in Dallas. We have a mandatory 14 day quarantine if we travel to Miami and certain other cities and states. Miami area has had 52k covid cases. DFW 54k. Tell me how that makes sense. I’m ready for cruising to resume this fall. Otherwise we might as well keep it locked down until a vaccine comes around. It’s not going to get “safer” this fall. It’s just going to be more of an acceptable risk to resume like everything else. We haven’t opened our bars and restaurants because it’s safer as we have just as many cases as before, even have had an increase in the last couple of weeks. We flattened the curve so to speak but people are still getting sick and more will get sick. i agree that cruise lines need to do everything they can to help us from getting covid. Past that it’s personal risk and responsibility. They need to open soon to survive just like every other business.
  4. I was encouraged to see the amusement parks coming up with a plan and time line to open. Although it’s a lot different then cruising I think it bodes well for cruising starting up in some form in August or September. In the Dallas area traffic is way back up, parking lots are much more full. I’ve decided to let my cleaning crew come in next week. We skipped 3 months. (It’s still tidy but time for deeper cleaning.) We’re still being careful otherwise but it’s time.
  5. Our final is due July 7. Celebrity called this this a.m. to encourage me to book excursions, dining, etc. I was honest and said unless we know a lot more I will be canceling our reservation just prior to final payment. I’m not going to give them $4k of my money to use for 3 or 4 months. ( We just got back our refund for April). He was understanding and I did say if things resume I might book a month out, however if they increase prices I won’t. We’ve booked a back up vacation, fully refundable ) still flying to Fort Lauderdale but spending time in resorts on land instead. ( We will then be praying for no hurricanes.). We have the first flight of the day, we will wear masks and I’m honestly not too worried about the flights. Im hoping cruises start up in August. However I’m not too hopeful for the 11 night to go as is. That’s a long time on a ship with a lot of time for a lot of people to get sick. At this point I’d rather take a short cruise. So if they cancel it and divide it in two shorter cruises I’d be happy to go.
  6. At least Carnival is giving more information then Royal or Celebrity. I feel like Royal just wants us to continue to give them final payment knowing they won’t sail.
  7. I'm guessing they would not allow B2B. Ate you suggesting if you fly in they wont let you sail? I know we're all guessing.....I just wish they would decide and move on so we can stop paying to get refunds.
  8. I booked a new 5 night from Florida for October last night. They were happy to take my deposit. If they cancel me due to the 50% deal I won't be happy. I bet they take my final payment too. Royal should start making plans now for shorter cruises. I agree that short is probably the way to start back up. We are flying and plan to stay in the keys for a week first, then cruise. Flights are so cheap right now that I bet others will fly in too. We paid $123 RT from Dallas pp. Since our April cruise was canceled we have considerable credit with Southwest we need to use.
  9. It's often a little different when I call then the website. However last night it was $200 less then the website when I booked. I took the new rate happily.
  10. It's still backlogged with insure my trip. I emailed them again and they are"working on it". Nationwide would not talk to me....I tried that. They may stall so long I'll have no choice but to repurchase for October. It may be $300 down the drain.
  11. I’ve been looking at alternative vacations for October and after research we’re sticking with our cruise unless it’s cancelled by the cruise line. Driving in the US, stopping at public restrooms, fast food, hotels, etc on the way too and from will also expose us. Staying in higher end resorts are more expensive then a balcony for the same number of nights and exposes us on elevators and dining rooms too. All inclusives except for the Dominican republic and Mexico are more then the cruise and exposes us on planes and places where sanitation may not be as good as a ship. We need a vacation from work and we are tired of staying at home, having already missed our spring cruise. We are going to be careful but go if the ship sails. Looks like we we might be going alone....
  12. These are the staff that have cleaned up after you, served you and entertained you. We should show a little compassion. Most need the money to support others at home and most are not getting paid. Some can handle the isolation better then others. Royal has been slow to get them home I’m sure because of the cost involved. I can’t blame them for being upset. It’s time to get them home.
  13. I’ll take Allure as she is, in Galveston. This remains to be seen however since the new terminal is on hold. Unfortunately for me we have non refundable deposits on her first 2 sailings from Galveston which may not happen. I just have to wait and see. If she’s not coming I’d like to change our plans now before prices rise on other ships. I’m sure they’ll give me an option if she’s not coming but I don’t always like the options they give, as this has happened to us several times with switched itinerary’s or ships. Only once has it really benefited us. The big ships are not our favorite. However our kids who live within driving distance to Galveston were pretty excited she’s coming. We are a bit tired of Liberty and the same itinerary and looking forward to the ship as the destination on Allure. I’d take a barge right now if it’d get me back on the ocean. In serious withdrawal here.
  14. I'm wearing a mask all day. The thinner surgical type aren't bad but I do think I'm more fatigued at the end of the day. The N95 are a different story altogether. You do have to breath thru them not around them. Big difference and so far I haven't had to do it all day. I would not consider it a vacation if we had to wear those type. However the homemade or regular surgical masks aren't bad. You get used to it and forget you have them on. They aren't sealing out the germs just preventing your fallout from your exhalation. I think for some its claustrophobic which makes you think you can't breath.
  15. We have this room booked for April of 2021. Hoping they don’t mothball her before that and things calm down so we can go. The rooms are Empress are so small I consider this a real score.
  • Create New...