Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community


  • Content Count

  • Joined

About Linsifer

  • Rank
    Cool Cruiser

About Me

  • Location

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. We’ve decided to cancel our August 2021 cruise and re-book for 2022, same time. Hopefully, by then we’ll have a vaccine and this virus will be under control. And the protocol will be loosened up to make it feel more “normal.”
  2. We’ve had a cruise on the Ruby to Alaska out of SF booked for August 9, 2021 since last December. Today we decided that we’re going to cancel and rebook the same cruise for 2022 when sailings open for Alaska. It’s just not worth the uncertainty. And now I’m reading there’s a possibility we won’t even be able to get off the ship just to stroll around the ports, and in and out of gift ships. I realize it’s several months away, but we don’t want to make the final payment 60 days before only to find out our free time in port will be restricted. So, instead we’ll celebrate our 30th anniversary in 2022 with the hopes that we have a viable vaccine and some herd immunity by then. I do hope Princess will have a sale like the one we had: Best. Sale. Ever. Free WiFi, gratuities and drink package. That was a big appeal for our current booking. I feel relieved that we won’t need to deal with the pandemic on a ship next year. I just hope the protocol will be much looser in 2022 providing we’ve got the virus under control.
  3. Oh, we will always follow the rules. However, if we knew this was going to be the case long before we sail, we might consider postponing our cruise until 2022 in hopes that the pandemic will be no longer be an issue. I’m going to contact my travel agent and ask her about this. Thank you for bringing it to our attention. Or at least to MINE.
  4. Thank you. Hmmm...well, I sure hope things change between now and then. I’m not sure we’ll keep our booking if we won’t even be able to venture off the ship on our own, primarily as pedestrians checking out the towns. Personally, I don’t want to feel trapped on the ship when we’re in port. And yet, we also don’t want to be required to pay for a pricey excursion we didn’t intend to take.
  5. So when my husband and I go to Alaska in August 2021 we won’t be allowed to just walk around town on our own? We were there in 2005 and only went on two low cost excursions. Other than that we just enjoy strolling in and out of stores and getting a feel for the place. We won’t sail if they force us to buy one of their pricey excursions that we aren’t even interested in.
  6. We’re booked on Ruby out of SF in early August 2021. I assume it’s still on. I’m still on the fence whether we’ll keep that booking depending on the status of the pandemic. I have to admit, I’m not quite as excited as I was last year when we booked it pre-COVID. Time will tell!
  7. I’ve taken a few 7 day cruises out of San Pedro to Mexico, as well as a 10 day out of SP. However, I enjoyed my two 10 day voyages to Mexico out of San Francisco the most. Since I live 90 minutes away vs several hours, that’s a huge plus. My first 10 day sailing out of SF was in 2009 on the Golden Princess. Back then we went to Acapulco and Zihuatanejo/Ixtapa. I loved Zihua with its cobbled stone streets. It’s a small fishing village. When Mexico started having violence from drug cartels, etc. they eliminated those ports. In 2017 we sailed for 10 days on the Grand out of SF and they had Manzanillo, as well as the other three ports I’ve been to several times. That sailing on the Grand to and from Mexico was the smoothest I’ve ever experienced on a voyage to and from Mexico! Usually, coming back up we feel the rockier current. Not that time! Smooth as ice. Couldn’t believe it. I’ve always enjoyed going to Mexico via cruise ship. 10 days is even better.
  8. We live 90 minutes south of SF on the coast so I’m definitely familiar with the summer fog, especially in the morning and evening. So far, we’ve only sailed in April out of San Francisco on fog-free days, although there were some mild spring showers.
  9. I’ve sailed under it three times, twice on the Grand and I have videos of a clear day just like this.
  10. That’s my concern, as well. Once we get on that ship we’re at the mercy of whatever quarantine protocol they mandate if needed. Same with ports possibly refusing to let us stop.
  11. We’ve had a cruise to Alaska out of SF booked for August 2021 for over a year now. Like many here, we’re going to wait and see what happens with this virus before even considering it. I’m keeping my hopes up that it will happen, but it’s going to take a lot to convince me to step on the Ruby in a year.
  12. We’ll be on the August 9th sailing on the Ruby out of SF. Easy drive for us. Now our fingers are crossed that everything is okay regarding Covid-19. Sure don’t want to be quarantined on a ship! 😉
  13. Here’s what mine said.
  14. Mine says $200 for our stateroom. Thing is, I never pay over a year ahead. I wait until the latest I can pay without penalty. Now with the coronavirus, who knows what will be happening next August. So, I’m just not sure an extra $200 plus 10% is worth it. Any thoughts?
  • Create New...