Jump to content

Alibaster McGillicutty

  • Content Count

  • Joined

Everything posted by Alibaster McGillicutty

  1. We were going to be on this same cruise. Cancelled by HAL on 3/30 and we requested refund on the same day. Short story: Received the refund for the cruise just a couple days ago. Long story: Booked cruise thru Expedia in mid-January (didn't realize Covid-19 was "real" yet) Booked travel protection thru Expedia Cancelled travel protection on Expedia (thru Travel Guard) within a few days and bought thru another insurer (mainly covers health emergencies only) Excursions thru Expedia shore excursion group Hotel pre/post cruise thru Expedia Ai
  2. Hey......that was going to be an awesome cruise! We were going to be on the same boat.....still waiting for the refund. Hopefully soon.....
  3. You may have already said in a previous post....... If so, could you remind us when your cruise was, when was it cancelled, and did HAL cancel or you?
  4. My Alaska cruise was for May 3 and I ?think? we were in the 2nd group of cancellations.....I think? We received a notice on 3/30 from HAL about the cancellation. We used a big-online-TA and I don't remember receiving anything through them but a couple weeks later they had a "Request Cancellation" button on their page under my itinerary.
  5. Thanks..... We used a big-online-TA so our interaction (or lack thereof) is with them so I will reach out to them to track down the status but I doubt that does any good considering the other stories. We already paid in full in January and paid our cc and the cruise "just ended" yesterday so I guess you could say the last week has gotten me a little more anxious about seeing my $$. I get the need to give them a reasonable amount of time to process but the fact that my cruise has come and gone and they still have my money.........not something I'm willing to be so patient
  6. When was your cruise? When did you or HAL cancel? Curious so I know how long to wait before contacting the cc company. Does it matter that is was a Carnival cc 😁
  7. I wonder if the canned responses their agents give to us cruisers "approximately 60 days" works with the cc company? My siblings are in retail and have had to deal with a cc dispute and BBB complaint (thankfully not many but you will have a few when you are in business over 40 years) and they take time to deal with. Time that I don't know if HAL has to address on a single case by case dispute. Our big-online-TA said a refund has been issued and it may take 1 to 2 billing cycles for the refund to appear. We will give it 2 cycles and then contact the big-online-TA. Give them
  8. We used big-online-TA for our May 3 Alaskan HAL cruise. Also booked a pre/post hotel for 1 night each thru them. Booked air with Alaska Air. 3/30 we received a notice from big-online-TA that told us HAL cancelled our cruise (which we were patiently waiting for them to do given the situation) and it provided a link. The link went to HAL's website to choose refund or 125% FCC. We chose refund. Once per day I checked HAL and big-online-TA site to see if anything changed on our reservation. One day I noticed one of the hotels on big-online-TA site offered cancellat
  9. "Every time a bell rings an angel gets his wings" -- It's a Wonderful Life "Every time HAL books a 2021 cruise a 2020 cruiser gets their refund." -- Cruise Critic boards
  10. Our May 3 cruise out of Seattle has cancelled so we are waiting for our refund from HAL. We also booked Alaska Airlines from Dallas to Seattle and are in a wait-and-see mode......or staring contest.....or game of chicken..... https://www.alaskaair.com/content/advisories/travel-advisories?int=AS_HomePage_AdvisoryBR_L1||2020_CV_AW||-prodID:Awareness&lid=HomePage_AdvisoryBR_CancelFees#flex For us, we purchased before February 26, 2020 so we can either change our trip without incurring a change fee for travel before Feb 28, 2021......or........cancel and get funds into "M
  11. We are going to take the cash. We booked through a big box TA and booked air and excursions on our own so we want as much moo-lah back as we can get. The excursions should not be a problem as they were through a partner of the big box TA (I would hope.) Air will probably be in the form of a voucher or credit. Who knows when we can use that again.... Hotels pre/post cruise already paid in full so it will depend on what their policies are. We are just trying to get as much $ back as we can.......and then try for Alaska again later. Cheers! Ali McG
  12. Thanks all! I was thinking we have the option of waiting up until 48hrs before we set sail to cruise. Even though we never received notification of that other than reading it on their site. We had planned on making a call by 3/31 as that was the original option given to us bit now we will wait. And yes, we totally expect May 3 to be a no-go given the issues now. Thanks, Ali McG
  13. We are booked for May 3, 2020 out of Seattle (Alaska round trip.) We had to pay in full by end of January so it is paid for. First offer was to stay booked and get $200 OBC........or cancel by end of March and get FCC (I am not sure how much is FCC and what is refunded to credit card.) We never received an email about this offer; https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/news/coronavirus-travel-advisory/BookWithConfidence.html Does this apply to us? The way I read, it does and we can cancel 48hrs before our cruise. We have other reasons to hold ou
  14. This lines up with my line of thought. If the business helps Americans, either through taxes, providing jobs, etc. then sure.........just get in line behind mom and pop shops located here on our soil first. Sorry, but mom & pop put food on my table and helped me get an education so I am more worried about those than I am any cruise line.
  15. Very last hour? Like an hour before.....hours....days? Curious
  16. Yep.....the future FCC is not my preference but it may be the best I can get for my May cruise. I would rather have HAL cancel and get $ back but that is like playing chicken at this point. Or more like me watching HAL and CV having a staring contest. I mentioned in another thread that HAL is still sending me emails to book my cruise now! I am sure their sales are down but they are not going to stop that revenue right now.
  17. This is what we are waiting for. We are May 3 out of Seattle with a stop in Victoria. Right now the "offer" is we can cancel by 3/31 (and get some kind of FCC or whatever) or stay booked and get $200 OBC. I don't see that happening so we are patiently waiting as long as we can. We want as much $ back in our hand rather than a FCC. Just a personal preference. Besides, my big box TA doesn't want me bothering them unless my sailing is within 7 days. 2 weeks to make our decision......but I think there will be other decisions/events will make our mind up for us.
  18. Their operating expenses will decrease with them parked but won't disappear. But, they don't have any to just hand out refunds. What I find funny is we have received 1 email about our May Alaskan cruise out of Seattle. Cancel by 3/30 and get FCC......stay and get $200 OBC. Just 1 email.......but I've received at least 3 emails a week telling me about their specials. Don't think for once their sales department (although reduced at the moment) are not pushing cruises for later 2020 and 2021. They still want that money coming in. Robbing Peter to pay Paul? Nah, just the way the
  19. I agree with the virtual classes for two weeks. What concerned me was taking two weeks after spring break with no classwork.......WooHoo! A three week vacation! Kind of defeats the purpose. Glad they are putting the virtual classes in place.
  20. What is bad is it is not just cruising. There are families going to who knows where over spring break that will be just as much at risk. Might as well just shut the school down for a while. .....and good luck!
  21. That does put a lot into perspective. It seems like such a problem in our own little bubble but in the end it, my cruise doesn't even register as a blip on the world radar. I mentioned in my post above, I'm not afraid of going. It's the risk I could put others in when I return.
  22. We cruise on May 3 out of Seattle. Right now we are "SAIL ONWARD!!!" We are in our 40s and good health.....of course a CV would tell you real quick if you truly are in "good health." We are that crowd of not letting things slow us down but I have to consider what my actions may do to others. There has not been a case in our state but it is just a matter of time and that is probably when everyone here starts really changing their behavior to limit exposure (probably a little late.) Right now it is wash your hands, don't touch your face, avoid crowds, and wash your hands agai
  23. Lots of hand sanitizer for sure. The concern I have about the MDR is the crew can be just as contagious as passengers. Was it 19 of the 21 positive for CV on the grand princess were crew?
  24. Cool......thanks for posting. We were taking the wait and see approach since we sail May 3. I would expect by the end of this month we would have a clue how bad the virus is. Maybe we get to sail on a half empty boat.......or is it half full?
  25. Alaskan cruise out of Seattle in May. Booked through Big TA as well as a couple excursions through them. Booked air separately. Used a 3rd party for insurance which we later realized won't cover squat should "The Big One" wreak havoc on our trip. What else can we do besides wait and see?
  • Create New...