Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community

monorailmedic

Members
  • Content Count

    218
  • Joined

Everything posted by monorailmedic

  1. This is a tough spot, and I think what MSC did was fold to people who wanted answers (all lines being beaten up on social for taking too long), but this is why patience is needed - no one wants to reverse course like that. Ooof. Onto your situation. Turnpike rest stop fuel stations have larger reserves and solid refueling agreements. In past evacuations and such, they've been solid in terms of being open and having fuel. They also have a large number of pumps, so delays, while they do happen, aren't as terrible as some other places. I can't tell you what to do in terms of making the drive or not, but I can tell you that I'd be inclined to simply hit every (or every other) station along the way. If I recall, every other turnpike station would mean every ~90 miles (correct me if I am wrong), which could be mildly annoying, but would leave me (if I were you) at ease knowing I have fuel.
  2. Once of the challenges for short (3/4 night) sailings from Port Canaveral is figuring out where you could go. You couldn't make Cozumel (Cancun port calls are extremely rare these days, small facility), so it's generally Key West (which may already be at capacity - not sure), other ports in the Bahamas (weather dependent), or previously, Havana (not an option now). You've got better odds than a three night, for sure, but we'll see. Also note that even if Key West has space, they'd need to make a technical call somewhere else b/c of the PVSA.
  3. They've no incentive to put anyone in danger - there is no money in that. Unfortunately all of the lines are in a wait and see mode, because some of the more reliable forecast models aren't in agreement about the storm's path. Take a look at the RCI announcement and you'll note there is a lot they've yet to figure out, including the Port Canaveral sailing on Friday. Sure, lines could cancel things now - and then not only are they out revenue, but they might well have thousands of people angry that they cancelled for "no reason". It's frustrating, I get it - but unfortunately weather forecasting isn't a perfect science and many are left waiting. Maybe we'll get news with the major updates (5pm, 11pm, etc - every 7 hours), but it could be tomorrow's 3pm that makes the difference.
  4. A nice reminder of how much forecasts can change in a short time. Look at this loop and imagine being in Haiti or the Dominican Republic. These changes were over just two days. Cruising is definitely my passion, but I'm a big weather nerd as well.
  5. Still too early to call for any sailings this weekend, but hopefully the wind distribution stays tight. Right now TS force winds extend 45 miles out from the center, which is great news for many reasons. Late tomorrow we'll know way more, as it's always tricky when there are potentially mountains ahead (in this case, on the Island of Hispanola).
  6. That's not them blowing you off - it's just too early to decide anything yet. They could make a decision now and need to change it tomorrow - which wouldn't be too helpful, I'm sure. These things are frustrating, but as a FL resident I'm sure you've seen before that more than two days out is just too hard to call.
×
×
  • Create New...