TA Client Appreciation?

Maracamama

If you do all the leg work, make the booking yourself and simply turn it over to your TA then that TA is not acting as a TA but as a booking service. Therefore I can understand why he/she rebates such a hefty part of the commission. No work was expended to earn it.

If I wanted the travel agent to do the legwork they would do it, and they have assisted with me with other things that have come up with my bookings with them. It's not that I don't want them to do it...I like to do all the legwork myself. It's part of my travel planning. I generally decide where I want to go a year or so beforehand and do a lot of research. That part is what I enjoy doing. The reason the travel agent rebates a hefty part of the commission is because they deal in volume. They book so many cruises that they are able to give discounts. Plain and simple.

I agree with most of you a good TA is important. You need someone that you can trust and feel comfortable with doing business. We will be on are first SilverSea cruise--and doing it with a new TA. The last one we had didn't really care about customer service. Told you one thing then wanted to change 30 days before you cruise. We book higher end suites, so not only did she loss us, but our friends that cruise with us. But I guess we should thank her-after using her for years-she made us realize we needed someone with integrity and a change in cruiselines so we booked with SilverSeas and a new TA.

Rick

In most cases, commissions are much lower than 20% and if the agent works in an agency, the agency usually get a third to a half of the commission. Also, the cruise lines are reducing the base fare on which they pay commission and increase the Non commissionable fare portion, this reducing the TA's portion further.

Some agencies have added fees for booking and managing cruises. Other agencies keep their volume up through rebating (which for many cruise lines is an illegal practice).

It seems to me that cruisers in general are expecting their Travel Agent to give generous OBC, discounts, or gifts, thus reducing their cost to the cruiser. What if a cruiser finds a great agent, and they really click, but the agency doesn't allow rebating? Everybody loses here. What if the TA lives on his commissions and can only afford that over-priced bottle of wine form the ship, or that $300 OBC?

In this instance, if the total cruise was $67,000, what was the base fare? This prices includes round trip airfare, 2 shore excursions, laundry, gifts, transfers, port charges and taxes. You can bet Silverseas isn't paying commission on those.

To the OP, you stated that you were used to your previous agent sending a thank you gift. Your current agent did the same, but it wasn't as much or as nice as your previous agent. The thought was the same, you just felt you deserved more. I suggest you find a new agent and when interviewing them, ask how much money they are willing to give you when you book a world cruise. That will weed out those bad apples that that just give you a paltry $300 gift.

• 2 weeks later...
In most cases, commissions are much lower than 20% and if the agent works in an agency, the agency usually get a third to a half of the commission. Also, the cruise lines are reducing the base fare on which they pay commission and increase the Non commissionable fare portion, this reducing the TA's portion further.

Some agencies have added fees for booking and managing cruises. Other agencies keep their volume up through rebating (which for many cruise lines is an illegal practice).

It seems to me that cruisers in general are expecting their Travel Agent to give generous OBC, discounts, or gifts, thus reducing their cost to the cruiser. What if a cruiser finds a great agent, and they really click, but the agency doesn't allow rebating? Everybody loses here. What if the TA lives on his commissions and can only afford that over-priced bottle of wine form the ship, or that $300 OBC?

In this instance, if the total cruise was $67,000, what was the base fare? This prices includes round trip airfare, 2 shore excursions, laundry, gifts, transfers, port charges and taxes. You can bet Silverseas isn't paying commission on those.

To the OP, you stated that you were used to your previous agent sending a thank you gift. Your current agent did the same, but it wasn't as much or as nice as your previous agent. The thought was the same, you just felt you deserved more. I suggest you find a new agent and when interviewing them, ask how much money they are willing to give you when you book a world cruise. That will weed out those bad apples that that just give you a paltry $300 gift.

In my instance the CRUISE FARE was $67K. I have the invoice in my hand. We did our own air, there (usually) are not "excursions" per se. We have had free laundry for years now. I can't comment on the port charges, You betcha I think a $300 OBC is paltry, as I'm pretty sure looking at the invoice there was no "rebate" from the TA.

Yeppers, need a little more love with a 5 week Explorer cruise coming up and the WC.

In my instance the CRUISE FARE was $67K. I have the invoice in my hand. We did our own air, there (usually) are not "excursions" per se. We have had free laundry for years now. I can't comment on the port charges, You betcha I think a $300 OBC is paltry, as I'm pretty sure looking at the invoice there was no "rebate" from the TA.

Yeppers, need a little more love with a 5 week Explorer cruise coming up and the WC.

Maracamama, your post makes me realise I wish I had been a TA with people like you as clients. :D

A commission and bonuses on $67k and you make all your own flight arrangements. Happy days. :)

Some have posted and they clearly receive value ie Keith. You clearly do not.

Time for some changes .....

Maracamama,

I checked my luxury TA and they are offering this on the WC. Either 8 guided, or leisurely tours with a private car and driver OR $4800 ship board credit- PLUS an additional $500 cash credit. (In addition to the credits etc by Silversea) $300 seems a bit measly to me.

Edited by Host Dan

Often for a World Cruise (full) if your TA is associated with one of the consortiums the consortiums provide something along the lines that Host Dan is talking about. And if that is from the consortium than the TA can also provide something beyond that on their own such as a shipboard credit. Often what the consortium is providing is actually an amenity that goes from the cruise line to the consortium and then to the guest recognizing the large volume of business that consortiums or very large independents bring to the table.

Keith

Maracamama,

I checked my luxury TA and they are offering this on the WC. Either 8 guided, or leisurely tours with a private car and driver OR $4800 ship board credit- PLUS an additional $500 cash credit. (In addition to the credits etc by Silversea) $300 seems a bit measly to me.

Just to clarify, the $300 OBC was on the Expedition cruise, not the upcoming WC.