Parking at Brooklyn terminal for westbound crossing

sstepson

Good morning,

Does anyone out there have any experience with parking their vehicle at the Brooklyn Cruise terminal before a westbound crossing so that the car is conveniently waiting nearby when the crossing is over?

I just wasn’t sure if they allow you to park on days where there isn’t a cruise departure. I was planning on parking the car, then getting a ride to JFK for the flight to Europe.

Anyone out there ever done this for a westbound QM2 crossing? Any feedback would be appreciated!

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

From the website: https://www.nycruise.com/brooklyn-terminal/parking/

Parking Information

Parking at the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal is on the south side of the terminal entrance overlooking the Statue of Liberty.

Parking at the Cruise Terminal is a revolving system. The ships arrive between 7:00am–8:00am, and passengers who have parked at the terminal are often finished with customs and off the property by 10:00am–10:30am, freeing up parking spaces.

On-site Parking is open, and the Porters are available by 9:00am. Most vehicle traffic at the terminal is from buses, shuttle service, taxis, drop-off, and pick-up.

There are spaces to park RVs, buses, and larger vehicles on the main level of the terminal near the Security Main gate.

If you have any further questions, please call 212-641-4440, Monday through Friday, 8:30am–5:30pm.

Parking discounts and coupons are no longer accepted (effective July 1, 2017).

Parking RatesShort Term (Up to 4 Hours)$20.00Overnight Rate (Up to 24 Hours)$25.00Reservations are not needed to park and taxes are included in the rates. Parking resides in an outdoor lot with security. There is no upcharge for sport utility vehicles.

Payment is accepted by cash and the following major credit cards: Visa, MasterCard, American Express.

creditcard-medium.gif

Drop-off/ Pick-up Car Before/After Cruise

• Please keep your ticket with you during your cruise.
  • At the completion of your cruise, please take your ticket to one of the blue pay station machines. These machines are located inside the terminal exit and at the pedestrian entrance to the parking lot.
  • Bring cruise ticket and parking ticket to show guard to gain access to the lot.
  • Parking fees must be paid before driving to the exit gate.
  • If you need a cab after drop-off, call Future Car Group car service at (718) 858-1234 and tell them to pick you up at “Pier 12” and wait at the Guard Booth.

Thanks for the info. I’ll give them a call, since that is a bit unclear if it’s possible to park when it isn’t an arrival/departure day. I’d be trying to park there about 10 days before my westbound transatlantic so the car is there when I return.

Thanks for the info. I’ll give them a call, since that is a bit unclear if it’s possible to park when it isn’t an arrival/departure day. I’d be trying to park there about 10 days before my westbound transatlantic so the car is there when I return.

It does give instructions on being picked up by a cab after parking, and it mentions that the lot is guarded on non-ship days. By all means verify but I think you'll be fine.

Here’s the response I received from the Brooklyn cruise terminal. I guess we’ll be parking at the airport...

—————————————

Good morning - sorry we do not accept vehicles on non-cruise days.

We have left our car at the Brooklyn parking lot three or four times. The last time was November 2016. The longest period was for a month. It isn't covered parking, but our car was safe, sound, and conveniently nearby each time. One time we had to call someone because the self-payment didn't work. Another time, someone was there in person (we wondered it she was pocketing the money). All in all, though we wouldn't hesitate to use the dock-side parking again. It worked just fine for us.

Happy Sailing!

We have left our car at the Brooklyn parking lot three or four times. The last time was November 2016. The longest period was for a month. It isn't covered parking, but our car was safe, sound, and conveniently nearby each time. One time we had to call someone because the self-payment didn't work. Another time, someone was there in person (we wondered it she was pocketing the money). All in all, though we wouldn't hesitate to use the dock-side parking again. It worked just fine for us.

Happy Sailing!

We've done the same for long periods of time but we sailed eastbound and westbound on the ship. The OP was only sailing westbound and there was no ship in port the day they were leaving the usa - so he's out of luck.

Good morning,

Does anyone out there have any experience with parking their vehicle at the Brooklyn Cruise terminal before a westbound crossing so that the car is conveniently waiting nearby when the crossing is over?

I just wasn’t sure if they allow you to park on days where there isn’t a cruise departure. I was planning on parking the car, then getting a ride to JFK for the flight to Europe.

Anyone out there ever done this for a westbound QM2 crossing? Any feedback would be appreciated!

Steve

I have parked at the long term parking lot at JFK. Wasn't bad. Not sure it is cost effective compared to other options for a really long term.

Good morning - sorry we do not accept vehicles on non-cruise days.

Does this mean you can't get your vehicle out on non-cruise days, i.e. taking an eastbound voyage and flying back the next day? If so, this must really limit business. If not, what's more complicated about letting cars in than letting them out? It seems less complicated to me. I guess I must not understand how this lot operates.

As for my own situation flying to London from Newark and leaving my car at the airport, I have added a Cunard transfer from Brooklyn on westbound arrival back to Newark.

At $40 p.p. compares favorably to taxi estimated at $100-120.

The over all problem I believe with parking at the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal is that Propark (propark.com) runs it.

When a ship is expected in, there are representatives to service passengers either picking up or leaving cars in the lot.

Yes the lot is being watched by security, well lit and locked but that is by the Port Authority of NJ & NY.

Maybe they can answer any questions if you can get thru to them.

That is so true the problem with the parking is PROPARK runs the parking in Red Hook. There was a car race going on in Red Hook so all cars had to be parked by a PROPARK rep.

Left keys in car for them since it was a new car and also required to hand over the keys.

Upon returning from cruise to retrieve my car the PROPARK rep. informed me he lost my keys.

Thank the lord I had a spare key with me. They did find it a few days later.

I think the OP will save money by parking at JFK or whatever airport they're flying out of, even with transportation from Red Hook back to the car. Especially if you're willing to use one of those off-airport lots where you leave your keys and they do god knows what with your car in the interim (I've done it without any issues at both JFK and Newark).

Lost the keys? I had to leave my keys last year and that was my nightmare scenario(or that my car was gone). Luckily it all worked at fine for me. I must say I was really worried about leaving my keys. Also-the mileage was the same as when I left it!

We've done the same for long periods of time but we sailed eastbound and westbound on the ship. The OP was only sailing westbound and there was no ship in port the day they were leaving the usa - so he's out of luck.

Good point!