Can we really dress up on formal nights?

Kat19702

I know people who hide on cruise formal nights because they hate them so much, but to me, it's one of the most fun parts! I love looking at all the people in fancy attire. If the food on Cunard was as good as Princess, we'd sail them more often because you're a pariah if you don't look smart on their ships. (But sadly, we left the tux at home on our Brit Isles cruise based on the official Princess formal dress code.)

20664099_10155749653929575_5758014079322116799_n.jpg?oh=423e8e4cee4a51d78d9ab562caea4579&oe=5A5463A4

i don't think so!!!

Oh no! :eek: Don't tell me you cancelled on my account.

I thought we could share a table for 4 on formal night & discuss the dress policy in a civil manner.

I know people who hide on cruise formal nights because they hate them so much, but to me, it's one of the most fun parts! I love looking at all the people in fancy attire. If the food on Cunard was as good as Princess, we'd sail them more often because you're a pariah if you don't look smart on their ships. (But sadly, we left the tux at home on our Brit Isles cruise based on the official Princess formal dress code.)

20664099_10155749653929575_5758014079322116799_n.jpg?oh=423e8e4cee4a51d78d9ab562caea4579&oe=5A5463A4

Dressing up on Princess is something most people look forward to and as long as you don't intimidate others to do likewise everyone can sail in peace & enjoy themselves.

Unfortunately not everyone sees it that way.

When I said "Don't you like a smart arse" I was referring to observing someone's rear in smart/formal clothes.

And others can interpret it differently. Your point of reference may differ greatly from others. Why are you concentrating on peoples rear anyway?

Dress up if you enjoy it, don't if you don't, everyone should do what makes them happy as long as they don't try to impose their way of doing things on other cruisers. I've read postings where dresser-uppers obviously place themselves above those that aren't as formally attired but some are there to explore the world (we're doing Alaska) rather than to display a aura of wealth. Some would prefer their budget went on excursions, rather than on formal wear they are unlikely to wear again and those of us flying in from overseas simply can't waste the luggage weight on anything impractical. We've got walking boots, warm layers and waterproofs to cram in!! Do what makes you happy!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Forums mobile app

Dress up if you enjoy it, don't if you don't, everyone should do what makes them happy as long as they don't try to impose their way of doing things on other cruisers. I've read postings where dresser-uppers obviously place themselves above those that aren't as formally attired but some are there to explore the world (we're doing Alaska) rather than to display a aura of wealth. Some would prefer their budget went on excursions, rather than on formal wear they are unlikely to wear again and those of us flying in from overseas simply can't waste the luggage weight on anything impractical. We've got walking boots, warm layers and waterproofs to cram in!! Do what makes you happy!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Forums mobile app

Obviously you are limited to the things that are important, not some formal clothing which you'll use only a few times (for the enjoyment of others).

Go to Cunard. Some of their cruises are not that expensive or if on sale. There is a ballroom with dancing to orchestra or strings. Dress is required every night. (suit for men. equivalent for ladies). Definitely you would find the atmosphere you desire. Life has gotten much less formal on most cruise lines and lots of folks like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Go to Cunard. Some of their cruises are not that expensive or if on sale. There is a ballroom with dancing to orchestra or strings. Dress is required every night. (suit for men. equivalent for ladies). Definitely you would find the atmosphere you desire. Life has gotten much less formal on most cruise lines and lots of folks like that.

Yes, a lot of Cunard's cruises are comparable to Princess right this moment! We were torn between doing a Mediterranean cruise on Cunard vs. Princess, each costing basically the same, and we went with Princess. We love to dress up, but we like good excursions and lots of time ashore, too, and we found that Princess is better for those things. And Princess has better food for us. We're not bothered by people in cargo shorts on formal nights, but it is always kind of funny seeing THAT CARGO SHORTS DUDE next to a gentleman dressed to the nines.

Not whiners Colo - they are liberals who honestly believe that if they tell an untruth enough times it will become the truth. We have early dining and are through before the rest leave - I have seen more than 90% in tuxes or dark suits - now about you?

Utter Codswallop. Never, in my 11 cruises on Princess have I seen 90% in tuxes or dark suits.

Utter Codswallop. Never, in my 11 cruises on Princess have I seen 90% in tuxes or dark suits.

I think it may depend on the itinerary. I've cruised Princess 9 times; Hawaii, Mexico, Panama Canal; I agree with 90%, especially Hawaii and the Canal. Most ladies quit wearing beaded gowns due to the gowns' weight during travel. But for goodness sake, everyone should dress how they want. Many people who don't like to dress go to Horizon or a Specialty Restaurant on Formal nights. They do what THEY want. Peace out.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You must not have taken the same cruises he has. It is one of his repetitive postings to try and convince all others to dress to make him happy. Never going to work but he keeps on repeating.

Will be in Vancouver in November for a week enjoying you city. Not bringing a suit for that either.

48 cruises - 500 plus days and I have observed at least 90% in tuxes or suits

Maybe instead of counting tuxes and dark suits you should have spent it figuring out how to work a slot machine. You even state "Several Years Ago" so it seems like you had quite the gap in between Princess cruises. Things change. It's not 1980 anymore. I have never seen 90% compliance with "Formal". An attempt? Maybe but that's not what you said. You definitively stated Tuxes and dark suits.

Maybe instead of counting tuxes and dark suits you should have spent it figuring out how to work a slot machine. You even state "Several Years Ago" so it seems like you had quite the gap in between Princess cruises. Things change. It's not 1980 anymore. I have never seen 90% compliance with "Formal". An attempt? Maybe but that's not what you said. You definitively stated Tuxes and dark suits.

48 cruises - 500 days - on every ship Princess has or had - everywhere except Africa - don't play the slots - you apparently count dressed down - I count formal dressed - all since 1996. most ships have 3 MDRs with two seatings. we only attend one - you must go to all six if your count is more accurate than mine - bye for now - have a mediocre evening.

Several is more than two