Queen Elizabeth - Honest Opinion

Faival

As the original poster mentioned, some of the recent reviews for QE have been dreadful.

If anyone who has travelled recently could write something for our review section it might help to redress the balance.

Thank you

I wrote one for our Baltic cruise a few days ago, but it hasn't yet appeared, it was very positive.

Jane

Thank you, I look forward to reading it.

It can take a while but you should get an email when it's published.

I always read reviews with interest and one or two grains of salt. Afterall, there's nothing more personal than a holiday and assuming people don't set off determined to be miserable, bad reviews must reflect something. But often that particular cruise, that particular steward or dish or cabin. Ships are mostly down to people, passengers and crew. And they change accordingly.

I am astonished to read such critical comments about afternoon tea on QE.. we are Oceania regulars, a line that sets great stock in their afternoon tea (and does it very well) and we frankly surprised to both think it was better on QE including hot from the oven gluten free scones for my wife and produced, on memory, by the stewards, too. It sure wasn't a "factory production" affair at all.

Ditto Britannia Restaurant service and cuisine. We thought our assigned table had superb stewards (and it did, too) and were again pleasantly surprised this was mostly emulated in open sitting experiences at breakfast and lunch. Consistency matters a lot and it's probably the hardest to achieve in anything and we felt it was here in service and quality of the meals.

And apparently constructive complaining (and done aboard and "at the top") works in getting improvements as it appears to have done with the supervision of the open decks and deck service. Too late for us, alas, but seemingly better now.

But yes, the "old" QUEEN ELIZABETH is looking tired in places and even new was mired in a muddy colour palate that is relentless and depressing. So the November refit is eagerly anticipated and, of course, we always always go on a ship just before a refit when she needs it the most!

I am astonished to read such critical comments about afternoon tea on QE.. we are Oceania regulars, a line that sets great stock in their afternoon tea (and does it very well) and we frankly surprised to both think it was better on QE including hot from the oven gluten free scones for my wife and produced, on memory, by the stewards, too. It sure wasn't a "factory production" affair at all.

My observations on the 'production line' feeling of afternoon tea was due to a number of aspects. There was no individual service from the waiters in the Queens Room. They come out with a tray of items, stop at the first table for them to be served something, move on to table two; rinse and repeat. Up and down the rows of tables, serving as if on a production line. If you wanted something other than the standard tea or a different type of jam, the waiters were not happy as it disrupted their flow.

And tough luck if you did not arrive at the Queens Room well in advance of the start of service. Stand in line for 30 minutes for a table to become free.

The QE is my favourite ship to be on and I just got off her a few days ago.

She is in dry dock in November and certainly needs a paint job as she is getting rusty in places (to be expected though).

Sorry, I can't agree with this. The fish and chips are to die for and the service was excellent.

How many cruise lines serve afternoon tea in the dance room with waiters serving you with white gloves? Or perhaps you are referring to the Lido - where some days last week there were small tubs of genuine clotted cream to be had.

Totally agree with Ray's comments above.

Lovely ship, excellent service.

Afternoon tea perfect, yes on sea days you do have to be there early to be seated, but that just proves it's popularity.

A team of waiters have their designated area of the Queens room to serve. One serving tea, one sandwiches and another cakes/scones. No problems encountered even if you wanted some different type of tea or glutton free product.

Strongly recommend.

Typical of the service we had aboard QE last August, we actually had stewardesses recognizing my wife at tea "gluten free, gluten free" and practically running over with hot from oven gluten free scones. We didn't get service like that at tea at The Connaught and Claridges. If it's a factory production line, it's the most efficient and friendly one afloat.

And better than our experiences on QM2. One of our favourite moments was waiting forever at tea for scones and this unfortunate (and rather large) Russian lady with what looked liked enormous white gardening gloves on managed to drop all of the scones on the deck and started to pick them up with the tongs. We decided we'd forgo the calories and skip the scones that afternoon. Indeed the rest of the crossing.

The free laundry was a pleasant bonus also,including soap and conditioner also.We were lucky it was right outside our room,while some people walked the length of the ship to find all machines busy.

Our first cruise ever was on the QE to the Canary Islands last Christmas/New Year. I selected this particular cruise to fit in with our overall winter holiday to Europe, but most importantly because of the Cunard name and the type of service and fellow passengers we expected to join us on the cruise.

Can I say, both my husband and I were amazed with the cruise, the level of service from our cabin attendant, the stewards who served us every meal and every staff member we just happened to bump into during the 15 days. Honestly, I cannot understand how someone can complain.

All the food was really great, I certainly don't cook like this at home! Our cabin was spotlessly clean, always. All requests, from firmer pillows, to more ice was happily provided by our cabin attendant. We lashed out for the degustation menu at the Veranda Restaurant - an experience.

Loved the afternoon tea, the opera sessions, the 10 shows we attended, the sail away parties (even though it was cold) and the amazing Christmas and New Year dinners in the MDR. Although we don't dance, we made it a practice to watch the first 45 minutes of the dancing each night before our late dinner sitting. There was so much we could have participated in, but just couldn't fit it all in.

We took only one Cunard shore excursion, but I must say it was very well organized and we really enjoyed the trip. Most of all I loved being up on deck watching the QE maneuver a 360!

We did come across a few, and I say a few passengers who complained - we just avoided them. They can really bring you down when you are having a great time.

We had a wonderful time, and will be joining Cunard again in October this year for a Med cruise on Queen Victoria this time.

I am sure you will love the QE.