Deciding on the soda package, need your help

mfinster007

I know someone will be able to help me decide if I will purchase the soda package. About me, I drink wine (which I bring with me) and an occasional cocktail. I sometimes drink club soda and occasionally will splurge on a ginger ale.

How much is a soda to purchase?

If I decide to purchase the soda package in board do my two cabin mates also need to buy it too?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The soda package was a total of $66.78 for a week on the Escape earlier this month. You can purchase it for one person when you board the ship. They usually have a table set up in the Atrium and will put a small sticker on your key card.

If you only occasionally have a soda then it may be cheaper for you to purchase them a la carte.

Also like the others have mentioned be aware that EACH bottle of wine that you bring for consumption aboard will incur a MANDATORY $15 corkage fee.

Sodas are $2.50 to $3.00 from my (faded) memories, with the per drink gratuity. I got the soda package on one cruise and decided it wasn’t worth it for me. I usually just pay per soda and drink a lot of (free) tea and water. Come to think of it, most of my sodas ended up with rum in them.

I found that tea and water are readily available in the restaurants (as in, there are pitchers around) and soda isn’t. So, even with the package, it takes longer to get a soda delivered (and refilled) than to just drink iced tea.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sodas are $3.45 each. With mandatory gratuity, that comes to $4.14 each.

Soda package for a week is $66.78 ($7.95/day + mandatory gratuity). So, if you typically drink more than 2 sodas a day, then get the package. You can buy it for one person only.

If you bring wine onboard, regardless of where you consume it, it will cost you $15 corkage.

You may also want to take in to consideration that the soda package is FOUNTAIN soda and the "a-la-carte" soda is usually in a can....

Yup. When you walk up to a bar or in a restaurant and you order a soda, the bartender puts on his magic x-ray glasses to determine what kind of card you will hand him as he pours the soda.

The bartender has no way of knowing how you are paying. They don't give you the "good stuff" if you are paying cash, otherwise the cheap stuff.

"FOUNTAIN SODA"

Sodas Pop (aka faux Coke) dispensed with a gun !

Gun has several buttons on top of the dispenser.

Pressing one of the buttons dispenses the drink.

Options limited to the number of buttons.

Pepsi

Diet Pepsi

Mountain Dew

Diet MD

Club Soda

others - - -

For uncommon drinks i.e. Ginger Ale a can will be

opened and maybe all the contents maybe poured

to make the drink.

Other uncommon drinks: Root Beer; Orange and

Club Soda if the gun dispenser is used for another

drink selection.

Gun dispensed drinks:

Hose from the gun goes beneath the counter to a

junction with the tanks holding the simple syrup

mix of the beverage. When the gun button is pressed

the flavored syrup is mixed with cold carbonated

water and voila your drink is served.

The gun can dispense as little or a lot of the beverage

that is selected. BRING a BIG cup for a generous pour !

Tip the bar tender optionally for a generous pour.

Limit the ice for more beverage.

Yup. When you walk up to a bar or in a restaurant and you order a soda, the bartender puts on his magic x-ray glasses to determine what kind of card you will hand him as he pours the soda.

The bartender has no way of knowing how you are paying. They don't give you the "good stuff" if you are paying cash, otherwise the cheap stuff.

Well, they actually do. If they try to give me the fountain soda, then I just point out (in a polite manner) that as I do not have the drink package but pay the "full price" I would like a can please. And they always give it to me in cans.....

Pretty big gamble on 66 bucks.....

Not really a gamble at all to be honest. If you have a soda at lunch, one or two at dinner, possibly one by the pool and maybe one at the nightly show.. That's 3-4 a day. The per day charge with gratuity for the package works out to $9.54/day. As long as you average 3 sodas a day, you come out ahead for the week easily.

Not really a gamble at all to be honest. If you have a soda at lunch, one or two at dinner, possibly one by the pool and maybe one at the nightly show.. That's 3-4 a day. The per day charge with gratuity for the package works out to $9.54/day. As long as you average 3 sodas a day, you come out ahead for the week easily.

The post was pure sarcasm. Thanks for doing the second grade math for us.

The post was pure sarcasm. Thanks for doing the second grade math for us.

Sometimes sarcasm doesn't come across in print. I thought you were being serious as well. No need to be snarky, when your joke falls flat.

I'd rather drink seawater, and its free. Personal preference. :)

No it is not free !

Someone has to take a bucket and lean overboard to fill the bucket with fresh seawater

and then fill a suitable presentable container (pitcher) and pour you a serving.

Is that with a twist of lemon or lime sir ?

Oh and there will be a NCL service charge for that also !

Oh you had requested ice - well ice was in the pitcher when it left the galley I guess it melted

diluting the seawater - will that be all sir ?

Never a missed opportunity to add a service gratuity fee or tax with NCL !

xxx

We have only been on three cruises. All on Celebrity. The soda packages there are always cans. We would hit a number of bars and stock up on cans of soda for our room. I'm wondering how we would get soda for our room on NCL.

The mini-fridge has cans of soda.

Tell your cabin attendant or butler to substitute or replace with what you want.

These are not free.

Cans in the mini-fridge are not part of the UBP Soda program.

If at a bar and you see cans of soda ask/request that it not be opened to take it with you for drinking in your

cabin later - have it billed to your account or UBP.

There maybe a limit on the number of cans that can purchased this way.

There maybe some resistance reluctance on the bar tenders part NCL ships policy but you can ask and you

are paying for it. Attending a M & G discuss this with the Beverage Manager for a direct answer.