Royal/Regal Obstructed View Balconies on Emerald Deck

KruzPrincess

Has anyone figured out just how obstructed these views are? I see some say obstructed and some say partially obstructed. Also, some say you can't access the balcony if the bunk is down. From looking at pictures, it appears that the lifeboats are below the balconies, but I'm not sure. Will there be a lifeboat completely blocking the view or is it just sticking out below? Does anyone know? Thanks. BTW, I did try to search the Everything Royal thread and couldn't find the answer if it's there.

Has anyone figured out just how obstructed these views are? I see some say obstructed and some say partially obstructed. Also, some say you can't access the balcony if the bunk is down. From looking at pictures, it appears that the lifeboats are below the balconies, but I'm not sure. Will there be a lifeboat completely blocking the view or is it just sticking out below? Does anyone know? Thanks. BTW, I did try to search the Everything Royal thread and couldn't find the answer if it's there.
Unfortunately, the current answer is that no one knows. It is certain that the lifeboat davits will extend almost to the bottom of the Dolphin deck.

8068990972_b7e0fb3944_c.jpg

It also appears that the full width of the lifeboats will extend past the balcony. The only question appears to be where the top of the lifeboat will be in relation to the top of the balcony railing. Most of the lifeboats are smaller tenders, but there are several larger lifeboats that will probably be higher than the others.

Unfortunately, the current answer is that no one knows. It is certain that the lifeboat davits will extend almost to the bottom of the Dolphin deck.

8068990972_b7e0fb3944_c.jpg

It also appears that the full width of the lifeboats will extend past the balcony. The only question appears to be where the top of the lifeboat will be in relation to the top of the balcony railing. Most of the lifeboats are smaller tenders, but there are several larger lifeboats that will probably be higher than the others.

Thank you for the picture. This really helps me a lot. I can see from this picture that I won't be happy with the cabin I booked. I'll have to pick a new cabin. I booked on the Regal, so I still have options. Thanks so much.

Thank you for the picture. This really helps me a lot. I can see from this picture that I won't be happy with the cabin I booked. I'll have to pick a new cabin. I booked on the Regal, so I still have options. Thanks so much.
We are about three months away from getting information from actual passengers. For most Regal itineraries that should give you enough time to make a cabin change.

Someone should start a thread with peoples submitted photos of the view from specific cabins, like the wonderful link with photos of obstructed view outside cabins on the Princess ships.

For our specific sailing on the Royal, the obstructed view balcony cabins weren't much less than the unobstructed view. At this stage, unless I was sure my view was oK, I would not risk it.

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

We are about three months away from getting information from actual passengers. For most Regal itineraries that should give you enough time to make a cabin change.

Agreed. It will be good to see the real thing, but from the construction pictures I can't see how I would be happy there. I know some would, but it appears they just turned the obstructed oceanview cabins into balconies for increased revenue. That's OK, but I wouldn't be happy in one.

Someone should start a thread with peoples submitted photos of the view from specific cabins, like the wonderful link with photos of obstructed view outside cabins on the Princess ships.

For our specific sailing on the Royal, the obstructed view balcony cabins weren't much less than the unobstructed view. At this stage, unless I was sure my view was oK, I would not risk it.

I'm with you. This is my first T/A and I want some view. At the price I'm paying it's worth it to pay a bit more for the view. On the Celebrity Solstice class ships the lifeboats are sticking out below the balconies which causes a partial obstruction. I could have lived with that, but from the pictures this will be much more obstructed.

Thanks everyone for your help.

It appears to me that most of the balconies on Emerald Deck only extend out about half as far as the balconies on the other decks. Even the ones that are not obstructed.

My impression is that the Emerald deck balconies extend out the same as the balconies on all the decks above them.

From what I read - it appears that the obstruction is a solid balcony railing as in "you can not see through the balcony railing panel" rather the usual clear-glass see through railings - possibly an obstruction in addition to the life-boat/tender issue. Can that be? Really like the new Deluxe-Balcony Cabin Layout - but IF when sitting on the balcony all you can see is sky - why?

You can see from the pictures that the railing will not be solid - like the Baja and Caribe balconies on the Sun Class (regardless those were never considered obstructed, nor are the "sheltered" balconies on the QM2, which are sort of similar).

Looking at the davits, it looks like the tenders and rescue craft will be directly in front of these balconies, not just below them. Until we see otherwise, I would avoid.

From what I read - it appears that the obstruction is a solid balcony railing as in "you can not see through the balcony railing panel" rather the usual clear-glass see through railings - possibly an obstruction in addition to the life-boat/tender issue. Can that be? Really like the new Deluxe-Balcony Cabin Layout - but IF when sitting on the balcony all you can see is sky - why?

If you are speaking of the Emerald Deck cabins, all of them will have a glass panel and not a steel wall with the exception of those five cabins all the way forward. Those behind tenders and lifeboats will have varying degrees of obstruction, and as best as we can determine it will be at least as high as the hand rail. Those between lifeboats and tenders will have the davits to deal with. Here are two pictures that were enlarged from those that were recently released. The decks are abbreviated by a single letter (A=Aloha, D=Dolphin, etc). You can see the glass panels already installed.

Aft: Lifeboat tenders not yet in place to show the 'obstruction'

8585118842_9d65b625df_b.jpg

Forward

8584035031_bb4be9cb29_b.jpg

Hi, guys,

I finally booked E110 on Royal, it's an obstructed balcony, and my TA said it's only non-glass one, no other obstruction. Is it right?

Your cabin and balcony:

8585155960_8c07b58781_b.jpg

8585155682_f79b96221f_b.jpg

Edited by dmwnc1959

If you are speaking of the Emerald Deck cabins, all of them will have a glass panel and not a steel wall with the exception of those five cabins all the way forward. Those behind tenders and lifeboats will have varying degrees of obstruction, and as best as we can determine it will be at least as high as the hand rail. Those between lifeboats and tenders will have the davits to deal with. Here are two pictures that were enlarged from those that were recently released. The decks are abbreviated by a single letter (A=Aloha, D=Dolphin, etc). You can see the glass panels already installed.

Forward

Your cabin and balcony:

So it does appear that these balconies will be about twice as large as all the other balconies on the sides of the ship??

Forward

Your cabin and balcony:

Where can I find the original photos that were just released?

Where can I find the original photos that were just released?

A link to the pictures was originally posted back on March 18th by Cruise Critic member Captain Rhone on the 'Everything Royal Princess' thread.

Here is where the pictures were posted and a 'large' version of each:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=37596472&postcount=1015

The gigantic size versions from Marine Traffic are HERE and HERE.

The bottom two pictures posted above are from the Royal Princess Float Out out album on Princess Cruises Flickr page:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/princesscruises/sets/

Edited by dmwnc1959

I read these posts everyday. I have subscribed to the thread and enjoy all the pics, etc.:D

I have been really wanting to see where my cabin is and would appreciate it if you could show me.

Cabin C622:):)

We still are on a loooong waitlist for upgrade to balcony cabin mid - to - aft for either a mini or deluxe balcony.:eek:

Sorry, I thought I was on the Everything you want to know thread. Would I be better to post there as I am hoping

we are not obstructed.

Edited by Northender

dmwnc1959 ,

Thank you SO... much for your pics and info. I think it's not a bad choice to choose, E110, is that right? It's my first time to book balcony, I really don't want to be regret.

If you don't mind tbe possibility of some motion up forward, or those above you being able to see you on your balcony, then you will love the much larger space outside your stateroom. I imagine the view looking down will be amazing since your balcony extends out to the edge of the hull.

• 2 months later...

I'm reviving my thread to see if I can find more pictures of the obstructed view balconies now that the Royal is sailing. I'd love to see outside as well as interior view photos. I'm specifically booked in E701 on the Regal next year, so I know I have time to decide if I'm happy with my choice or not. Does anyone have pictures?? Thanks.

Asking again if anyone has pictures. Thanks.

Yes. Pictures have been posted on several threads. You just have to read around.

But to save you the time and effort I'll post them here as well...

This from two weeks ago:

Found this pic on another forum from an obstructed balcony on Emerald deck

....the cabin number was E512.

Not the best review but glad to see some pictures!!

9013693887_599ffb93fb_z.jpg

9013693913_c1792ce493_z.jpg

Yes. Pictures have been posted on several threads. You just have to read around.

But to save you the time and effort I'll post them here as well...

This from two weeks ago:

Thank you. I did see these on another thread. I was hoping for someone else to have some more. I appreciate your response. I have read through a lot of posts and threads and, so far, these pictures of E512 are the only ones I've seen so far. I'd like to see where the davits (is that the right word?) are. I believe the cabin I booked may have a davit in front of it. I'll keep looking, but if anyone else has pictures I'd love to see them. I do have to say that these cabins have deeper balconies than some of the others I've seen pictures of.

Edited by KruzPrincess