Silver Spirits Beverage Packageed

sabrefan

You can buy the package once you are on the ship, that way you can see the wine and liquor lists and make a decision. The wine at the Chef's table seemed to be significantly different for those with the beverage package. We buy the package for the ease of not tracking what we drink when, for the option of "upgraded" wines at meals, etc. We had the package on our recent river cruise in France and I didn't realize until the last night that I could have been ordering veuve clicquot every day. I'll be much more diligent in September.

On our 20 day cruise they changed the premium wines mid-way but still had some of the original choices available. On our cruise the package only included Viking's Sparkling Wine definitely NOT VC by the glass ( may have been available for a bottle discount)

I would be beyond shocked if VC was on there - was kind of tongue and cheek as I truly would like it to be - but don't in the least expect it. Thanks Deec for bringing me updated info from our last Viking cruises.

We will figure it out - and in the meantime if anyone finds a list to share of SS Package wine examples vs regular pour it would be appreciated very much :)

Maybe the river cruises in France are able to offer VC as part of the SS package? We at least got one night in before the end if the cruise. I'll be looking over that bottle list when we are on Homelands!

Maybe the river cruises in France are able to offer VC as part of the SS package? We at least got one night in before the end if the cruise. I'll be looking over that bottle list when we are on Homelands!

Viking Star had VC on Homelands. It was priced by the bottle not by the glass. If I'm not mistaken the price was $65.00 but I won't bet on it.

I wish they would have an indicator on the drinks menu to show which would be included if you had purchased the SS package. :(

Does anyone remember someone posting a recent drink menu from the Europe / Italy itineraries (if I understand it, the included alcohol selection changes, based on itinerary?)?

I wish they would have an indicator on the drinks menu to show which would be included if you had purchased the SS package. :(

Does anyone remember someone posting a recent drink menu from the Europe / Italy itineraries (if I understand it, the included alcohol selection changes, based on itinerary?)?

They don't need to mark anything because the plan is simple: anything--wine, beer, cocktails, liquors, liquers, whiskeys, soda, mocktails-- under $15 per glass is covered.

Here is the current plan description from MyVikingJourney:

• Any drinks up to $15.00 including premium
  • The Chef’s Table premium wine pairing
  • Selection of applicable wines change twice per cruise

• Wines by the glass, cocktails & aperitifs
  • Mini-bar replenishments
  • 15% discount on Premium Beverages above $50.00
  • Soft drinks

We have been on four Viking River cruises. The only one that had exceptional standard wines was the Bordeaux cruise. On our last cruise (Rhine) the same white and the same red were served the entire week. The wines were OK but we tired of them quickly. We did purchase wine on shore for on board consumption. In June 2018 we'll be on the Into the Midnight Sun ocean cruise. I don't think that good wines will be readily available to buy in port and we're looking at 14 days on the ship instead of 7 days so I'm thinking about purchasing the Beverage package to be able to have some variety. As others have mentioned, I'd be interested to know what premium wines might be available. Also, we will be in the basic Veranda cabin which doesn't provide alcohol in the minibar. Would I be able to have it stocked if I purchased the beverage package?

We have been on four Viking River cruises. The only one that had exceptional standard wines was the Bordeaux cruise. On our last cruise (Rhine) the same white and the same red were served the entire week. The wines were OK but we tired of them quickly. We did purchase wine on shore for on board consumption. In June 2018 we'll be on the Into the Midnight Sun ocean cruise. I don't think that good wines will be readily available to buy in port and we're looking at 14 days on the ship instead of 7 days so I'm thinking about purchasing the Beverage package to be able to have some variety. As others have mentioned, I'd be interested to know what premium wines might be available. Also, we will be in the basic Veranda cabin which doesn't provide alcohol in the minibar. Would I be able to have it stocked if I purchased the beverage package?

If you purchase the beverage package, you will be limited to the enhanced wine by the glass list. Why not put that money in a 'mental' bank account and use it to buy wine by the bottle -- a much more extensive list that can easily be supplemented by wine bought onshore when available? That's my plan on the British Isles cruise [not expecting to stock up in Bergen, but who knows? Maybe Norwegians enjoy fine wine more than I expect? ;)] IMHO the only way any beverage package works out is if you want top shelf liquor.

They don't need to mark anything because the plan is simple: anything--wine, beer, cocktails, liquors, liquers, whiskeys, soda, mocktails-- under $15 per glass is covered.

Here is the current plan description from MyVikingJourney:

• Any drinks up to $15.00 including premium
  • The Chef’s Table premium wine pairing
  • Selection of applicable wines change twice per cruise

• Wines by the glass, cocktails & aperitifs
  • Mini-bar replenishments
  • 15% discount on Premium Beverages above $50.00
  • Soft drinks

As always Peregrina is right PLUS you could ask bartenders. They are all very nice and will tell you what is included in the package. Ask what premium wines you have that included in SS package. When I tried Armagnac VSOP and liked it, he asked if I want to try 10 years and immediately told me that it's included. Talk to them, they know their stuff.

Edit:

forgot to mention that when you ask for premium wine included in the package, they will bring you a menu. The choice is extremely limited- 2 red wines and 2 white wines plus one choice of sparkling wine. The wines were just OK. The wines we had at the Chef's Table were much better. I wasn't crazy about chineese red wine and they substituted it with very pleasant wine.

My point is-ask, but ask nicely. It seems that almost everything is possible. The system is not perfect, but they really try. Yes, I didn't like a dish a couple of times and I was immediately asked if they could brink me something else. Some people have a bad meal/drink and don't ask for something else, then they coming home and write how upset they are. Well, did you ask for something else? :)

Edited by vnb2003
Missing words

Hi Takingflight

I read the following post on Cruise Critic on July 10/17 which was directly from Viking Guest Relations

"In general, all guests with the Silver Spirits Beverage Package will receive mini bar replacement of alcoholic beverages - regardless of cabin category"

I understand the rules are a bit different however for the World Cruise.

Enjoy!

I like that Viking has changed its policy!!! In April on the SKY we were in a DV 1 with SS package and were unable to have our minibar replenished with either alcohol or soft drinks....had to order from room service ( a hassle for staff and passengers!)

Thanks, Viking for evaluating how things were workingand making the SS package even better!

We will see how the World Cruise goes as we ALL have SS package. It may be a work in progress.....4 months is a long time!!! May have to bring a flask and order my Scotch neat a few times and fill the flask!

DH and I have been discussing the SS Package. I am still cirious about the upgraded wine offering and if someone would be able to offer up examples of just a couple of the offerings, particularly after just reading that they aren't all that great. For me, that is the primary reason to go with SS.......

Viking, any chance you could help out here? I am not looking for any guarantees that we will have the specific labels you might provide as examples, it sure would be helpful to get an idea of the differences in your typical standard wine pours compared to SS wine pours??

Thanks much!!!

The info on SS package I read today said 15% gratuities included in the $279pp price.....there was also a sample bar menu with about 10 pages listing various beers, drinks, etc, and only price of house wines & sparkling.

I was wondering if 15% is added onto the various drink/beer prices of $5, $6, $7.50, etc. when you purchase individually? OR is it included in drink price (which I doubt)?

If you factor out the 15% from the $279, that nets down to $243 for the drinks & divide by # of evenings on ship, that comes to $17.36 pp per day...that would easily cover cost of a 2 cosmos or manhattans @ 7.50 or 2 crown royals @ 8.00 plus a beer at lunch or a mimosa in AM, not counting a glass of wine at dinner....

OR AM I misunderstanding the rules??

The SS Package is basically $20 per person per day and the total cost is based on the length of your cruise.

The price per drink on the list includes the $15% gratuity -

Keep in mind that there are included wines and beers at lunch and dinner that Are included in your cruise which are their 'house wines' and most beers.

Dear Vineyard View,

We're happy to help. As you've all discussed, our house white and red wines are included during your lunch and dinner service, however the Silver Spirits Beverage Package includes upgraded selections of wine and other alcoholic beverage. Although we can't guarantee that all these exact wines will be available on all sailings, these selections are examples of the quality of our offerings:

White Wine

Castello Banfi Winery, La Pettegola, Vermentino

Italy, Tuscany

Louis Jadot Windery, Macon Blanc Villages, Chardonnay

France, Burgundy

Cateau Ste. Michelle Winery, Chardonnay

USA, Washington

Schloss Johannisberg Winery, Gelblack, Riesling

Germany, Rheigau

Red Wine

Bender Winery, Pinot Noir, Pinot Noir

Germany, Pfalz

Castello Bianfi Winery, Cum Laude, Cabernet Sauvignon, Melot, Sangiovese, Syrah

Italy, Tuscany

Miguel Torres Winery, Celeste Crianza, Tempranillo

Spain, Ribeira Duero

Brazin Winery, Lodi, Old Vine Zinfandel

USA, California

Vineyard View, if you would prefer not making a decision before your departure, you are also welcome to purchase the Silver Spirits Beverage Package once you're on board and have personally explored the wine selection offered aboard your ship.

We appreciate the opportunity to assist you, and hope this information is helpful. Have a wonderful weekend.

Best,

Viking Cruises

DH and I have been discussing the SS Package. I am still cirious about the upgraded wine offering and if someone would be able to offer up examples of just a couple of the offerings, particularly after just reading that they aren't all that great. For me, that is the primary reason to go with SS.......

Viking, any chance you could help out here? I am not looking for any guarantees that we will have the specific labels you might provide as examples, it sure would be helpful to get an idea of the differences in your typical standard wine pours compared to SS wine pours??

Thanks much!!!

Dear Vineyard View,

We're happy to help. As you've all discussed, our house white and red wines are included during your lunch and dinner service, however the Silver Spirits Beverage Package includes upgraded selections of wine and other alcoholic beverage. Although we can't guarantee that all these exact wines will be available on all sailings, these selections are examples of the quality of our offerings:

White Wine

Castello Banfi Winery, La Pettegola, Vermentino

Italy, Tuscany

Louis Jadot Windery, Macon Blanc Villages, Chardonnay

France, Burgundy

Cateau Ste. Michelle Winery, Chardonnay

USA, Washington

Schloss Johannisberg Winery, Gelblack, Riesling

Germany, Rheigau

Red Wine

Bender Winery, Pinot Noir, Pinot Noir

Germany, Pfalz

Castello Bianfi Winery, Cum Laude, Cabernet Sauvignon, Melot, Sangiovese, Syrah

Italy, Tuscany

Miguel Torres Winery, Celeste Crianza, Tempranillo

Spain, Ribeira Duero

Brazin Winery, Lodi, Old Vine Zinfandel

USA, California

Vineyard View, if you would prefer not making a decision before your departure, you are also welcome to purchase the Silver Spirits Beverage Package once you're on board and have personally explored the wine selection offered aboard your ship.

We appreciate the opportunity to assist you, and hope this information is helpful. Have a wonderful weekend.

Best,

Viking Cruises

Sorry Viking Cruises but what we had on our Homelands did come even close to the choices you listed. I'm not talking about labels, I'm talking about countries. There was only 77something (forgot the number) Cabernet Savignon that we could drink from the choice of two red wines. I didn't care for the offered whites. The wines I mentioned were offered in the restaurant and a buffet. To be honest I didn't order wine at the bars so don't remember the choice. We definitely didn't have dry Riesling (we enjoyed it on our river cruise) though we stopped at Germany.

Viking Cruises thank you very much for providing examples of what we may expect, and if not exactly these labels this list provides us an example of the levels of wines on the SS Package. I sincerely appreciate your response.

Adventure girl......Italy and Croatia ports....as well as many European ports = excellent opportunities to sample and bring very good/great wines back on board. We have sure done that on several cruises. This next VO cruise to the Amazon ..... not exactly counting on that :'):')

Also to the suggestions on waiting to be on board before deciding....I like that. We can check it all out and make a decision which direction to go before sailing the following day.

Adventure girl......Italy and Croatia ports....as well as many European ports = excellent opportunities to sample and bring very good/great wines back on board. We have sure done that on several cruises. This next VO cruise to the Amazon ..... not exactly counting on that :'):').

Thanks VV! I'll skip on the SS package this go-around and just bring on board. I did the math and think that I'd need to buy 3 specialty cocktails per day (my go-to is a Tom Collins) to break even on the package, and I don't think I need to be drinking that much. :') We are in a PV room, so the included mini bar may just suffice (maybe they will bring me gin and club soda and I can make a mock Collins with some citrus?!).

New thread idea is forming. :D