Tips for New Viking Ocean Cruisers

roothy123

We are considering a cruise next year and trying to select our rooms which appear to be near the Explorer lounge deck 8. Did you have any experience with noise from the Explorer lounge?

I can't really answer your question, as we've never had a room on 8. However, I don't remember reading anything about noise up there. I also can't imagine there would be any, as every time I was in the Explorers Lounge on 8, it was pretty quiet. Occasionally it is used for a formal get-together (for example, Meet and Mingle), but that's about it. I would guess that any socializing being done in there would not be loud enough to be heard in the hallway. (There's a bit of a wall and doors between the hall and Lounge.) You might have a few people walking down the hall on their way to what my husband calls the "secret doors" (the ones that open into the Lounge - if you happen to be on 8 or you don't want to have to walk up from 7). Again, I can't imagine that would cause much noise. Viking's soundproofing appeared to be great!

Here's another tip, although probably one that most people won't need because they save more paperwork than I do: Save a copy of your cruise invoice (or email) at least for a while after you return from your cruise. Some insurance companies require the cruise invoice or similar document in order to verify the dates and place of the cruise, what you paid, etc.

Here's another tip, although probably one that most people won't need because they save more paperwork than I do: Save a copy of your cruise invoice (or email) at least for a while after you return from your cruise. Some insurance companies require the cruise invoice or similar document in order to verify the dates and place of the cruise, what you paid, etc.

I save everything they send, all of which arrives as a PDF file.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I save everything they send, all of which arrives as a PDF file.

Argh! Actually I should have saved, as well as asked for, a lot more than I did. I've seldom had to make a claim after purchasing travel insurance. However, the last time I don't remember it being very difficult. The company I used this time wants receipts detailing costs paid by me, medical report detailing diagnosis and treatment, policy verification, invoice from provider, and cruise booking confirmation. Because they only pay what my private insurance doesn't pay, I had to send a claim to my health insurance company first. (I understand that; no problem.) In addition to the basic things, THEY wanted name/address/professional status of the doctor who treated me, tax ID, license number, effective date of license, and place where license was issued. Luckily Viking came up with that information fairly quickly. Now I have to ask them for even more information to satisfy the travel insurance company. All this is so I can get $171 back. It makes me wonder how many people just say "forget about it" and don't file a claim.

In any case, yes, best to save everything!

Argh! Actually I should have saved, as well as asked for, a lot more than I did. I've seldom had to make a claim after purchasing travel insurance. However, the last time I don't remember it being very difficult. The company I used this time wants receipts detailing costs paid by me, medical report detailing diagnosis and treatment, policy verification, invoice from provider, and cruise booking confirmation. Because they only pay what my private insurance doesn't pay, I had to send a claim to my health insurance company first. (I understand that; no problem.) In addition to the basic things, THEY wanted name/address/professional status of the doctor who treated me, tax ID, license number, effective date of license, and place where license was issued. Luckily Viking came up with that information fairly quickly. Now I have to ask them for even more information to satisfy the travel insurance company. All this is so I can get $171 back. It makes me wonder how many people just say "forget about it" and don't file a claim.

In any case, yes, best to save everything!

I'm a an electronic and a paper packrat. Nothing gets pitched. Have a terabyte hard disk and records of all our cruises since we started doing them in 2011 plus email going back much further. Over 20 yrs.

Not sure if Viking has changed their policy BUT last Spring we were in a v1 and had the Silver Spirits (which we enjoyed) and our Mini Bar was NOT able to be stocked with any alcohol or restocked for free with sodas. Which meant if I wanted a drink while getting ready for dinner or enjoying the balcony I either ran up to the Exlplorer's Lounge, ( which I just thought it was a good way to burn the calories of the drink!), stopped at Bar on level1 on the way to room from an excursion, OR called room service which was delivered quite promptly. Yes....all a little hassle so hoping Viking will change policy and stock ALL Mini Bars for Silver Spirit Customers!

This was posted in July.. Viking has changed the policy on stocking mini bar

I have tried to paste the thread which state they will replenish mini bars regardless of catagory if you have purchased the Silver Beverage package.

imagejpeg

This was posted in July.. Viking has changed the policy on stocking mini bar

I have tried to paste the thread which state they will replenish mini bars regardless of category if you have purchased the Silver Beverage package.

imagejpeg

I thought I had read that it had been changed but I couldn't find where it was or remember how far back it was.

Speaking of documents and files from Viking, I've received a package containing luggage tag and a booklet. Are we expected to get another mailing approximately three weeks before the sailing as stated on myVikingjourney.com?

Speaking of documents and files from Viking, I've received a package containing luggage tag and a booklet. Are we expected to get another mailing approximately three weeks before the sailing as stated on myVikingjourney.com?

Did you receive a fairly sizable box? The booklet should have been printed expressly for you. And relatively thick. It contains everything about your trip - flight itinerary etc including info on optional pre and/or post extensions (hotels etc).

I find that box is a keeper. Use it, after we get home, to store all the little things accumulated during the cruise. Ticket stubs etc. I maintain and carry with me on the trip a 3 ring binder (1/2" or 1") containing printed copies of all the pdf docs received from Viking (latest invoice, excursion bookings etc) and 3 or 4 plastic pocket dividers to hold all the things accumulated during the cruise inc every Viking Daily, maps, pamphlets, etc. And then transfer all the small stuff to the sturdy silver Viking box after we get home.

Yup, that is the box you have been waiting for. Sometimes they get things out a little early.

The box should contain a pair of red luggage tags, strip luggage tags pre-printed with your name and cabin number (these go on the bag right before you hand your luggage over for transfer to the ship), a red circle sticker if you have Viking transfers (put it as you leave customs; it helps the staff find you and point you in the right direction) and one booklet full of helpful information about your cruise. There are no vouchers in the box. Your personal cruise details are printed in the booklet (one for each guest). You do not need to bring both booklets with you.

The booklet answers a lot of questions -- like what pier you are embarking at, what your flights are if you are using Viking Air, telephone numbers/e-mail for the ship, hints on what to pack and what the dress code is, how gratuities work on the ship, money and currency issues and a whole bunch more. Some of that 'whole bunch more' is about the port cities or the optional tour, so I take one of the booklets and tear our all the stuff I will need while I am away and I leave everything else home.

Dear Peregrina651,

We appreciate your invitation to clarify.

In general, all guests with the Silver Spirits Beverage Package will receive mini-bar replenishments of alcoholic beverages - regardless of cabin category. This service is a recent addition to the package’s amenities.

Our World Cruise, however, will operate a bit differently. Specific details will be released to guests as the sailing approaches.

Thanks again for the invite. We hope this response has been helpful and want to take the opportunity to remind the Cruise Critic community that we are always happy to answer questions or clarify concerns at TellUs@vikingcruises.com.

Kind regards,

Viking Cruises

Found the post with change in replenishing the mini bar..hope this helps everyone

Yup, that is the box you have been waiting for. Sometimes they get things out a little early.

The box should contain a pair of red luggage tags, strip luggage tags pre-printed with your name and cabin number (these go on the bag right before you hand your luggage over for transfer to the ship), a red circle sticker if you have Viking transfers (put it as you leave customs; it helps the staff find you and point you in the right direction) and one booklet full of helpful information about your cruise. There are no vouchers in the box. Your personal cruise details are printed in the booklet (one for each guest). You do not need to bring both booklets with you.

The booklet answers a lot of questions -- like what pier you are embarking at, what your flights are if you are using Viking Air, telephone numbers/e-mail for the ship, hints on what to pack and what the dress code is, how gratuities work on the ship, money and currency issues and a whole bunch more. Some of that 'whole bunch more' is about the port cities or the optional tour, so I take one of the booklets and tear our all the stuff I will need while I am away and I leave everything else home.

I suggest pasting the red sticker on your forehead so you won't be missed!

I suggest pasting the red sticker on your forehead so you won't be missed!

Make sure you show your passport to each other before you leave the house for the taxi to the airport too! [emoji2] Speaking from experience with a forgetful husband. Fortunately we're only 10 miles from the airport and arrive a good 2.5 to 3 hrs in advance. Paying extra ($100) to check in both his bag and mine while he caught a taxi home to retrieve his passport is no fun and nerve wracking to me while I waited for him at the gate. The rule now - at his request btw - is to ask him to show me his passport as we leave. Not just ask if he has it as I did the 2nd time this happened. Ain't love grand?

• Like 1

Make sure you show your passport to each other before you leave the house for the taxi to the airport too! [emoji2] Speaking from experience with a forgetful husband. Fortunately we're only 10 miles from the airport and arrive a good 2.5 to 3 hrs in advance. Paying extra ($100) to check in both his bag and mine while he caught a taxi home to retrieve his passport is no fun and nerve wracking to me while I waited for him at the gate. The rule now - at his request btw - is to ask him to show me his passport as we leave. Not just ask if he has it as I did the 2nd time this happened. Ain't love grand?

LOL, we all have our own systems for getting this job done. In our household, I'm in charge of paperwork and that includes passports. Fortunately, our passports spend their down-time together in the same drawer (along with our stash of travel euros) and gathering them up for packing does not involve a mad "now where did he hide it this time" kind of a hunt. He's in charge of the "did you remember?" list before the limo arrives--because, really, I'm the ditz in this relationship. Yes, love is grand.

• Like 1

LOL, we all have our own systems for getting this job done. In our household, I'm in charge of paperwork and that includes passports. Fortunately, our passports spend their down-time together in the same drawer (along with our stash of travel euros) and gathering them up for packing does not involve a mad "now where did he hide it this time" kind of a hunt. He's in charge of the "did you remember?" list before the limo arrives--because, really, I'm the ditz in this relationship. Yes, love is grand.

Note that I let HIM suggest the fix.

• 5 weeks later...

I have a question about the pools on the Viking Ocean ships. Are they salt water or fresh water?

I’ve heard that they are deep - too deep for most people to stand. I can tread water for a good while in salt water, but not as long in fresh water. DH unfortunately doesn’t do well in water over his head. Do they allow floatation devices? [emoji16] Can you sit on the side? It looks like there’s a ledge with water on it. That would work.

I’m counting down to our cruise! Viking Sea here we come!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have a question about the pools on the Viking Ocean ships. Are they salt water or fresh water?

I’ve heard that they are deep - too deep for most people to stand. I can tread water for a good while in salt water, but not as long in fresh water. DH unfortunately doesn’t do well in water over his head. Do they allow floatation devices? [emoji16] Can you sit on the side? It looks like there’s a ledge with water on it. That would work.

I’m counting down to our cruise! Viking Sea here we come!

The pool on the Viking Sky was very small and few people used it on our trip in July. I can't remember if there was a ledge to sit on, but someone could sit on the steps entering the pool. The hot tub is beside the pool and gives a great view of the ocean. I think the pool was fresh water.

The pool on the Viking Sky was very small and few people used it on our trip in July. I can't remember if there was a ledge to sit on, but someone could sit on the steps entering the pool. The hot tub is beside the pool and gives a great view of the ocean. I think the pool was fresh water.

Thanks! We are going to be in the Caribbean so I suspect more people will be using it. [emoji16]

There are two pools. There's a larger one inside under a retractable roof surrounded by the Winter Garden. Big enough to do laps in. The very small one with the hot tub looking out over the ocean is in front of the Aquavit Terrace and called the Infinity Pool. Both are fresh water and on the same deck. The one inside is heated for sure; don't know about the Infinity Pool but would think that with a hot tub alongside, it probably is heated too.

I was only in the Infinity Pool...it was deep maybe about 5 feet...husband 6-2 had no problem. I am 5-2 and treaded water, bobbed, held on to the side or DH but I am very comfortable in the water over my head.