Cancelling Standard Tips

Potty Terracotta

The bedding now only gets changed once a week so that doesn't need an assistant every day, and a trolley full of towels covers the remainder.

Stuff to keep the trolley stocked? What is there in the room to be replenished in volume.

Taking away rubbish sacks. What on earth are people throwing away in their cabin.

As I mentioned before, the stewards take under 15 minutes twice a day to deal with my cabin. Frankly if someone's cabin is in such a state it takes significantly longer to deal with, the passenger should be told they need to clean their mess themselves.

When did the frequency of bed changing change ? In August on Azura it was still every 3 days

The bedding now only gets changed once a week so that doesn't need an assistant every day, and a trolley full of towels covers the remainder.

Stuff to keep the trolley stocked? What is there in the room to be replenished in volume.

Taking away rubbish sacks. What on earth are people throwing away in their cabin.

As I mentioned before, the stewards take under 15 minutes twice a day to deal with my cabin. Frankly if someone's cabin is in such a state it takes significantly longer to deal with, the passenger should be told they need to clean their mess themselves.

Maybe they know you are anti tipping thats why your cabin is done in 15 minutes lol.

It takes the cabin steward 45 minutes twice a day to service my cabin. A lot of time will be needed to figure out what things are doing there, why has one of those been brought on board, how do you get a cabin in such a state. Have the passengers had a break in? Do you need to pick all the clothes up, if you do where do you put them. Why have they left sunglasses out near a coat hanger on a bed by a towel? Is throwing the towel on the floor but not in a bathroom an indicator that it needs replacement. On the other hand I do not always travel with my teenage daughter.

The tips are a bargain in my opinion.

Regards John

Totally agree regarding tips.

Graham.

It takes the cabin steward 45 minutes twice a day to service my cabin. A lot of time will be needed to figure out what things are doing there, why has one of those been brought on board, how do you get a cabin in such a state. Have the passengers had a break in? Do you need to pick all the clothes up, if you do where do you put them. Why have they left sunglasses out near a coat hanger on a bed by a towel? Is throwing the towel on the floor but not in a bathroom an indicator that it needs replacement. On the other hand I do not always travel with my teenage daughter.

The tips are a bargain in my opinion.

Regards John

It would probably take that long to service our cabin too if I didnt pick up after my husband the same as at home. I keep telling him I am on holiday as well but dont think I will change him after over 40 years if I havent done so

by now!

I dont have a problem paying the auto gratuities I think they work hard and very long hours without a day off.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

I would guess ours is the same. People that leave their cabin in a real state are selfish and ignorant and I agree that they should be made to clean up their own mess or charged extra for cleaning.

I would guess ours is the same. People that leave their cabin in a real state are selfish and ignorant and I agree that they should be made to clean up their own mess or charged extra for cleaning.

That could be quite contentious.Who would make the decision that the cabin state exceeds the permitted level?

That could be quite contentious.Who would make the decision that the cabin state exceeds the permitted level?

And not only that, how are you advised that this is the case? Ideas anyone?

Do you remember the Alan Partridge "Dirty Protest" allegation with the hotel staff cleaning his room on YouTube? "Alan Partridge Chocolate Mousse" it's hilarious

Regards John

Edited by john watson

Oh dear! Looks like I am going to have to find nearly a thousand pounds extra for my 99 night cruise in January. Any discount on the gratuities for a long cruise?? That amount may be OK for the lucky people that can afford to cruise several times. But, many people, especially older people may well have spent years saving to go on a once in a lifetime trip and then find they have to find a lot more extra money and then feel guilty if they decide to opt out and tip "what they can afford" . All cruise lines should sort out this unpopular system. At the moment I have no idea what to do. To tip or not to tip, "that is the question" I will decide on the day I start the cruise and depending how much I have left in my piggy bank and on the service I receive over several weeks.

When did the frequency of bed changing change ? In August on Azura it was still every 3 days

It certainly is every 3 days on Azura now. Just another rubbish rumour.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Oh dear! Looks like I am going to have to find nearly a thousand pounds extra for my 99 night cruise in January. Any discount on the gratuities for a long cruise?? That amount may be OK for the lucky people that can afford to cruise several times. But, many people, especially older people may well have spent years saving to go on a once in a lifetime trip and then find they have to find a lot more extra money and then feel guilty if they decide to opt out and tip "what they can afford" . All cruise lines should sort out this unpopular system. At the moment I have no idea what to do. To tip or not to tip, "that is the question" I will decide on the day I start the cruise and depending how much I have left in my piggy bank and on the service I receive over several weeks.
Why should you tip less over a long cruise. The stewards etc work just as hard over 99 days as over 14. You are penalising them for your own good fortune in being able to afford such a long cruise.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app

Perhaps tell your steward to only service your cabin every two or three days and do the other days yourself. We all look after our own bedrooms and bathrooms at home. I personally would not miss the pillow chocolate (nasty chocolate) and could make my own bed and hang my towels up to dry in the bathroom. Then cut the autotips down by a half.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That is a down side of a long cruise when the daily small tips amounts to a lot of money after 99 nights.

You have waiters and cabin stewards working hard to make it enjoyable so the best thing is just pay the autotips.

Normally P&O will give you a massive amount of OBC for this length of cruise which will cover or go a long way to cover the autotips.

Why should you tip less over a long cruise. The stewards etc work just as hard over 99 days as over 14. You are penalising them for your own good fortune in being able to afford such a long cruise.

Exactly plus he would have got a massive OBC for that length of cruise.

I feel sorry for the crew on these long cruises if people stiff them.

Perhaps tell your steward to only service your cabin every two or three days and do the other days yourself. We all look after our own bedrooms and bathrooms at home. I personally would not miss the pillow chocolate (nasty chocolate) and could make my own bed and hang my towels up to dry in the bathroom. Then cut the autotips down by a half.

Then you could serve yourself at all the buffets including MDR and stand at the bar trying to get your own drink.

The problem with cruising holidays is that costs by and large are pro rata per day. The cruise fare is only a proportion of total holiday expenses. You can reduce costs of excursions by doing a transatlantic but a fortnight cruise will work out twice as expensive as a week and so on. I personally would avoid a whole world cruise and pay for the same number of days over a number of years by doing 14-17 day cruises every year instead of all at once. I found the most tricky cruise I have done was 18 consecutive sea days due to a missed port and delays. The wow factor can subside and routine can set in a bit over long periods on board.

Regards John

That's a good point.

Perhaps, instead of that 'massive OBC', they should offer 'gratuities included'.

That would solve Sparky's dilemma.

And what exactly does this accomplish, apart from saving you some money? It's not as if the steward can nip ashore for an hour instead of cleaning your cabin.

I have to say, I hope the original question regarding tips on a 99 day cruise is a wind up. I can almost understand when someone has scrimped for a cheap 7 day cruise, and has an issue with the auto tips. But as a percentage of the cost of a 99 day cruise, the auto tips are insignificant. If you can't afford the tips and are prepared to stiff the crew, despite being able to pay for a 99 day cruise, shame on you.

That's a good point.

Perhaps, instead of that 'massive OBC', they should offer 'gratuities included'.

That would solve Sparky's dilemma.

Thats what my wife said to me when i was posting this post and it sounds a good idea.

And what exactly does this accomplish, apart from saving you some money? It's not as if the steward can nip ashore for an hour instead of cleaning your cabin.

I have to say, I hope the original question regarding tips on a 99 day cruise is a wind up. I can almost understand when someone has scrimped for a cheap 7 day cruise, and has an issue with the auto tips. But as a percentage of the cost of a 99 day cruise, the auto tips are insignificant. If you can't afford the tips and are prepared to stiff the crew, despite being able to pay for a 99 day cruise, shame on you.

Very good points.

Thats what my wife said to me when i was posting this post and it sounds a good idea.

Good idea and a constructive answer to a question. Thank you. And I had no intention of "stiffing " the crew as some people insinuate.

Think it's P&O that stiffs the staff by not paying a decent wage.🤐🤐🤐🤐🤐

Hi...I am being curious but what constitutes a decent wage. How much are the "every day" crew paid by P&O? Does the amount paid by P&O constitute a "decent wage" in the countries that the crew originate from. I would imagine that a lot of the "countries of birth" have a lower wage economy than ours so we can't compare it with our rates of pay...the crew do not reside in our country.

If the staff feel that they are being "stiffed" by P&O why do they work for them...surely rates of pay...hours and terms & conditions are explained to them before they " sign up"

It certainly is every 3 days on Azura now. Just another rubbish rumour.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi Dai, just off Aurora 30 nighter and the sheets in the suite were routinely changed once a week unless requested differently, which we did. seems this is the norm now. Going on Big V in 10 days so will see what the score is there.